Princeton teen killed in Elk River cr...

Princeton teen killed in Elk River crash ID'd

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 17, 2009, titled Princeton teen killed in Elk River crash ID'd. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A 17-year-old girl who died in a rollover crash Sunday morning in Elk River has been identified, the Minnesota State Patrol said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Sunflower

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 17, 2009
Sympathies to friends and family.
Lemuel Smegma

Titusville, FL

#2 Aug 17, 2009
RIP
Mary Allen

United States

#3 Aug 17, 2009
You have to feel bad for the family, but chances are this was another texting-talking deal and if you just look around, which is dangerous in itself, you will see it going on all over, all the time, it is shocking that we don't have many more deaths every day. Until people are smart enough to just drive we will all be a victim of this. I know from experience, and people will never learn.

Since: Mar 09

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Aug 17, 2009
Mary you are probably right. I saw a woman with 3 kids in her car texted on one of the fasted freeways around here, she was all over the road, and not even really going the speed limit. It is truely sad that someone so young had to die though.
So so sad

Roseau, MN

#5 Aug 17, 2009
Mary,
Whatever the cause, it doesn't make it easier for the family. That's why they call them accidents. I'm sure she didn't mean for it to happen. I've known this girl her whole life, and as she was an only child and mother to an infant, the family is devastated.
Javier

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Aug 17, 2009
Mary Allen wrote:
You have to feel bad for the family, but chances are this was another texting-talking deal and if you just look around, which is dangerous in itself, you will see it going on all over, all the time, it is shocking that we don't have many more deaths every day. Until people are smart enough to just drive we will all be a victim of this. I know from experience, and people will never learn.
You are exactly right. This was likely a text/talking on cell phone instance, but we might never get that confirmed. Hopefully a search of phone records will become as standard as a toxicology test because we need to know to teach these people that it is not acceptable to do this. At least she didn't harm anyone else. Legislation needs to be passed to make talking on cells phones while driving illegal.
Concerned Citizen

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Aug 17, 2009
"When she tried to overcorrect, the truck went into the median and rolled..."

I would be willing to bet she did not try to overcorrect. She tried to correct her situation, and overcorrected.
No matter the cause, this is tragic.
My condolences to the family.
Theresa

Maple Grove, MN

#8 Aug 17, 2009
Legislation can do whatever they want. People still won't listen. It's just like speeding and drinking while driving. People know you are not supposed to do, but they do it anyway. It's also not fair to the family to judge what happened. Anything could have caused this. Give the family the peace they deserve.
Javier

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Aug 17, 2009
Theresa wrote:
Legislation can do whatever they want. People still won't listen. It's just like speeding and drinking while driving. People know you are not supposed to do, but they do it anyway. It's also not fair to the family to judge what happened. Anything could have caused this. Give the family the peace they deserve.
It is fair to judge when the conditions were perfect for driving and it was clear that she over-corrected. Everyone on the road at that time should feel fortunate that no one else was injured. Nothing insensitive about that.
minnesota

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Aug 17, 2009
This was a accident! it was only two people in the truck with her- her and god! they are the only two people that know what happen. So for you people that want to say it was maybe texting- Ask yourself the same question the next morning you are driving and doing your makeup, your hair, or trying to find your planner to see what meeting you have today, or what bill needs to be paid,or when your next dentist appointment is, or you are reading a book that you are so close to completing. My point is, we all get caught up in a moment. A accident can happen in a second. No reason at all. It can just happen. Please be caution and so compassion to her family and friends. They may read this. When death happens we already want to question WHY! Why now! Why them!
You people need to show more respect to her family. It's hard when you are a parent and you have to bury your child.
Friend

San Francisco, CA

#11 Aug 18, 2009
Thank you minnesota for saying EVERYTHING you said. I know this family and she was a beautiful girl. She doesn't deserve to be judged by people who don't know her or the situation. Some of us that know the family don't know what happened and are not assuming or judging. I only hope that none of you are judged as harshly as you are judging someone....
Family of Victim

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 31, 2009
To Mary Allen. I am saddened by your comments and they where uncalled for. It saddens me that people are so quick to judge but rarely look atht themselves. How many times have you talked on your phone while driving, put on makeup or even look for something that was dropped to the ground. I agree that texting and phones cause accidents. However for your knowledge we DID NOT LET HER HAVE TEXTING ON HER PHONE. So that was not the cause. THis was the hardest thing that I have ever done in my life and your comments didn't help matters.
Bobbie Scheffler

Princeton, MN

#13 Nov 7, 2011
For all of you that said that she was maybe texting/talking, for your information her phone didnt have texting and she wasnt on it cause it was in her purse. so before you guys asume anything maybe you should think, she was a great girl and she knew better then to do anything like thatl.!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elk River pastor charged (Jan '11) May 2 Ismael gerli 1,609
New Hockey Arena Jan '18 Matslinger 1
Oven/stove problems please help Dec '17 Mlhafermann 1
News Big Lake officer embroiled in department contro... (Sep '08) Oct '17 sheila christenson 33
News Anoka County / Baby sitter charged in child sex... (Apr '08) Sep '17 Patty 44
News Man broke into St. Paul police station, stole p... (Aug '17) Aug '17 TheRealTruth 1
Slave sex ring (Jul '17) Jul '17 mary 1

Elk River Jobs

Personal Finance

Elk River Mortgages