Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#70463 Aug 3, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a free speech supporter. To me, though, people burying someone and being in that situation, to hear the things some protestors say, I think, equate to someone yelling FIRE when there isn't one. Also, it is their private grieving. Yes, you have to be in public to get to the funeral home, the cemetery, etc. but it is a very private thing.
It could incite a riot. I could see a mourning beating the crap out of someone.
There are times for the greater good you can't say whatever you want at whatever time you want. For me, this might fall into that category.
Good or bad, for or against, I just don't think funerals should be used for demonstration purposes, or at least not within 300 or more yards away.
I probably could be persuaded because I'm not cemented to this, but it's how I'm thinking now.
As I said before, emotionally, I agree with you. They are horrible people and they should have the decency to leave people alone while they bury their dead.
But the fact that their words could incite a riot are not justification, to me, to take their freedom of speech. Civil rights workers could have, and indeed did, incite riots with their words that black Americans had the same rights as white Americans. The only difference I see is that I agree with them and disagree with the WBC.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#70464 Aug 3, 2012
How easy? No badge worth earning is easy.
My sister had a deaf friend. She would come over sometimes, and my sister knew enough sign, and the kid could read lips well enough that they got along fine. I believe they met at a horse riding school or something.

I would imaging learning sign would take several weeks (meeting once a week), but with a deaf person to actually teach you, it would not be too difficult.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How easy is it to learn sign language? I mean how much of the troops time is this going to occupy?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#70465 Aug 3, 2012
More parents of the decade candidates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19068490

#70466 Aug 3, 2012
somebody is stealing my great idea.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article...

Location hidden

#70467 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
somebody is stealing my great idea.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article...
It's your own fault. We told you to put the tinfoil hat back on your head and leave it there!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70468 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
How easy? No badge worth earning is easy.
My sister had a deaf friend. She would come over sometimes, and my sister knew enough sign, and the kid could read lips well enough that they got along fine. I believe they met at a horse riding school or something.
I would imaging learning sign would take several weeks (meeting once a week), but with a deaf person to actually teach you, it would not be too difficult.
<quoted text>
This lady said she's been learning it for 4.5 years and makes it sound as if it is as difficult as learning a verbal language.

I still think even with that, you are going to be dropping 60 bucks a week on an interpreter for some time.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70469 Aug 3, 2012

#70470 Aug 3, 2012
What about camping and jamborees or retreats. Should they hire someone 24/7 for a week? Even when the kid is sleeping?
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This lady said she's been learning it for 4.5 years and makes it sound as if it is as difficult as learning a verbal language.
I still think even with that, you are going to be dropping 60 bucks a week on an interpreter for some time.

#70471 Aug 3, 2012
Here is a googled site. click on a word and it shows the sign for it.
Kids being as adaptable as they are, should not have too much trouble picking up enough to tease each other.
Sublime1 wrote:

#70472 Aug 3, 2012

#70473 Aug 3, 2012
I thought that was only for the other stuff...
itser wrote:
<quoted text>
It's your own fault. We told you to put the tinfoil hat back on your head and leave it there!

Location hidden

#70475 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
I thought that was only for the other stuff...
<quoted text>
Sorry Dude...they are taking everything.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#70476 Aug 3, 2012
Just woke up from a five-hour nap.

You know you're sick whe you sleep away the better part of a gorgeous summer day.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#70477 Aug 3, 2012
Gorgeous? Maybe in Minnesota. It's almost a hundred degrees here. I'm sick too and I've been working over time in this sht. Sucks to work when you're sick. Sucks worse to work in the HEAT when you're sick. Sucks even WORSE to work LONG HOURS in the heat when you're sick!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#70478 Aug 3, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In spite of myself I learned a couple of things in that linguistics class I took last quarter. ASL is a full natural language just the same as English, Spanish, Japanese, etc., with syntax and rules of language. Ergo...it's the same as learning a foreign language, any foreign language, because it is a foreign language.

However, children up to age 13 have the (overall, in general) easiest time learning second, third, fourth, whatever...languages. After about thirteen, our brains begin to lock out the ability to easily learn language.

I've given this some thought and I think in the larger scheme of things, it's patently ridiculous for an organization like GS to be expected to shell out that kind of cash every week to the benefit of one person.

I mean ramps on sidewalks and at building entrances, the audible crosswalk signals, etc., benefit a larger population on the whole so are both necessary and "worth" whatever the expense, plus it's the right thing to do. One person getting a benefit to the detriment of others (because taking that much cash every single week is a financial detriment to the troupe overall) is asking too much.

If the mom wants her in GS so freaking badly then she should find a way to either be, get, and/or afford a private interpreter. We all have our crosses to bear, life isn't fair, and this is they hand they were dealt and THEY need to deal with it.

That said, the troupe should have looked into something like Squishy (?) said and had someone from the deaf community...some organization come in and help interpret for free/reduced fee and/or helped the kids to learn ASL which would be a benefit to all of the kids AND would count as a foreign language credit for college. Win/win/win.

But no, they had to call in the lawyers. <smfh>

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#70479 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
Kids being as adaptable as they are, should not have too much trouble picking up enough to tease each other.
<quoted text>
http://www.columbia.edu/~as1038/L02-sign-lang...

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#70480 Aug 3, 2012
My girlfriend left a note on the fridge, "It's not working. I can't take it anymore, I am going to my mom's place."

I opened the fridge. The light came on. The beer was cold...

What the hell is she talking about?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#70481 Aug 3, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Just woke up from a five-hour nap.
You know you're sick whe you sleep away the better part of a gorgeous summer day.
The nap is good, not feeling well sux.
Rahm-racist Jewish major

Chicago, IL

#70482 Aug 4, 2012
There were 260 murders in Chicago thus far but the racist major doesnt care since most victims are Negroes . How else to explain his inaction

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#70483 Aug 4, 2012
Rahm-racist Jewish major wrote:
There were 260 murders in Chicago thus far but the racist major doesnt care since most victims are Negroes . How else to explain his inaction
He's implemented a new tactical squad and murders were actually down slightly in the month of July.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk Grove Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 219,714
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr VetnorsGate 1,405,628
Chicago has the Worst Women 2 hr Chiraq 40
What's the point of War 2 hr Anonymous 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr El Padre 60,664
last post wins! (Apr '13) 5 hr They cannot kill ... 1,265
News Police involved in fatal Summit shooting (Apr '06) Jul 12 Rip 549

Elk Grove Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elk Grove Village Mortgages