get oil /gas smell out of clothes

Posted in the Elk City Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mama

Elk City, OK

#1 Mar 18, 2012
how do u get the smell oout of their work clothes i have washed them 3 times left them out on the clothes line for days let them soak in dawn dish soap for a day they just stink so bad to they sell anything for that smell or to get them a little cleaner anything >?
oil field trash

Elk City, OK

#2 Mar 18, 2012
mama

that is the smell of money. unforutunitly you can not get that out. it comes with the money.
oilman

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Mar 18, 2012
You can use coca cola when u wash them.. Won't help the smell but will take a bunch of oil and grease out though
Forget it

United States

#4 Mar 18, 2012
Oil based mud is there to stay!!!!!!! Next to impossible to completely get out
ann

Elk City, OK

#5 Mar 18, 2012
I use downy unstopables on my husbands work clothes. And regular downy. It covers the smell of oilfield very well. The guys he works with tell him he smells good lol
Amanda

Erick, OK

#6 Mar 19, 2012
I wash my husbands once with baking soda, dawn, and cascade. Then re wash with baking soda and whisk use snuggle in rinse and it works good on smell
jcmfu

Elk City, OK

#7 Mar 19, 2012
tell him to bring some rig soap home. Just be cautious on how much you use, it is VERY sudsy!!! However, like the others have stated, oil base is nearly impossible to get out.
J R Ewing

Arlington, TX

#8 Mar 19, 2012
oilman wrote:
You can use coca cola when u wash them.. Won't help the smell but will take a bunch of oil and grease out though
Actually you gave pretty good advice. I think Pepsi works the best. A 20 oz dumped in the wash cycle will work wonders for getting the smell out of work clothes. At least it did about 25 years ago, when I was a roughneck.
seriously

Dallas, TX

#9 Mar 19, 2012
Do you all seriously wash rig clothes at home in your own washer? Surely not.
elk

Elk City, OK

#12 Mar 19, 2012
seriously wrote:
Do you all seriously wash rig clothes at home in your own washer? Surely not.
Yes. You just run a wash cycle empty with bleach and it is just fine.
jcmfu

Elk City, OK

#13 Mar 19, 2012
elk wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You just run a wash cycle empty with bleach and it is just fine.
hahaha wait until you get some pipe dope on the tub of the washer!!! I did this once when I was in a hurry, After 2 days of soaking and scrubbing, my work clothes never seen my personal washer/dryer again!
seriously

Elk City, OK

#14 Mar 19, 2012
jcmfu wrote:
<quoted text>hahaha wait until you get some pipe dope on the tub of the washer!!! I did this once when I was in a hurry, After 2 days of soaking and scrubbing, my work clothes never seen my personal washer/dryer again!
Exactly! It's worth the few bucks to take them to the laundry mat or pay someone else to wash them.
WTFrac

United States

#15 Mar 20, 2012
Try starter fluid or basically ether spray it on then throw in wash - it'll take stains and the smell out guarenteed or i'll give u twice the money back i charge for advise lol
Front Desk Girl

Yukon, OK

#17 Mar 21, 2012
My husband is not on a rig but still comes home very dirty. The clothes will never be "clean" again. I just wash them separate from others but don't do anything special. I guess if he wanted to be the "Guy who smelled good" I would put more into getting the clothes clean for him. He gets his very own closet in the house for work clothes because that smell seams to spread. Rig soap is a good idea, used it in the past when he was working on a rig. Just do what you can to let yourself know that the clothes are clean. They won't be for long after he puts them on though.:D.
elk

Elk City, OK

#18 Mar 21, 2012
jcmfu wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha wait until you get some pipe dope on the tub of the washer!!! I did this once when I was in a hurry, After 2 days of soaking and scrubbing, my work clothes never seen my personal washer/dryer again!
Been washing my clothes, pipe dope included, for years this way and have never had an issue. But I can see how some would have problems. All you have to do is get a used washer, 50 bucks or so, and run a spigot splitter. Then you have one washer for work clothes and another for personal clothes. Not everyone has enough room but you could always put the 2nd washer outside. But anyway there are always options or you can just pay someone or use a laundromat.
lorelie

Elk City, OK

#20 Mar 31, 2012
best thing i have found is called "purple power" its an automotive degreaser... i pour it over the clothes in the washer just before i start the load... it works GREAT and its safe for FRC's. walmart sells it in the auto dept. i still use Tide or Gain with it thou.
truly

Elk City, OK

#21 Apr 1, 2012
elk wrote:
<quoted text>Been washing my clothes, pipe dope included, for years this way and have never had an issue. But I can see how some would have problems. All you have to do is get a used washer, 50 bucks or so, and run a spigot splitter. Then you have one washer for work clothes and another for personal clothes. Not everyone has enough room but you could always put the 2nd washer outside. But anyway there are always options or you can just pay someone or use a laundromat.
My washer and dryer were way to expensive to risk that. I pay a lady to wash my hubbys work clothes. It's well worth it
lorne

Winnipeg, Canada

#22 Jun 1, 2012
getting gas out of clothes I thought was impossible until one day I ran out of detergent and used dishsoap I mixed dawn and sunlight (the gease fighter)
takes the smell out in 1 wash
lorne

Winnipeg, Canada

#23 Jun 1, 2012
Grease haha
BobUp

United States

#24 Jun 1, 2012
Soak overnight in bucket of original Coca-cola covering clothes, then wash as normally would and PRESTO - grease gone, oil gone, odor gone!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
April Ruiz 2 hr wow really 63
jewelry store? 2 hr expense 5
where can i buy a smoking pipe in elk city 2 hr black sheep !!! 3
Ruthless members of two families run this town 2 hr black sheep !!! 6
elk city employee strangled girl friend 17 hr LostAndNotFound 11
alison baker 22 hr haha 1
Little Caesers coming to Elk City (Jan '13) Sat haha 16
More from around the web

Elk City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE