School bond issue
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fed up

Elk City, OK

#1 Aug 10, 2011
OK Elkcitians get prepared School bond ielection is coming up! Get ready to kiss your a&& goodbye. According to the school board report in the paper, the new bond for a new school with raise property taxes 28%! They're already sky high! If you don't own property, no problem! Where did we go from building a school that covers the needs into one that is fancier than the next town has? I agree with a new school, but come on!! Did we really have to have the fancy hi-school with a gym that's 1/3 full at a game?
Realism at its Best

United States

#2 Aug 10, 2011
The Board of Education, your elected officials, in conjunction with the Superintendent as an advisor, are just like any other political body.

What they do best is make inane rules (regulations) like the dress code and spend other peoples' money. The way to defeat their attitude is at the polls.

REGISTER TO VOTE IF YOU HAVE NOT ALL READY THEN GET OUT AND VOTE!
fed up

Elk City, OK

#3 Aug 11, 2011
Word of this should be passed along. the property owners will bear the brunt of the expense! by rights, non-property owners shouldn't even be allowed to vote! My policy anymore is just to vote NO on anything thats going to cost us!
Jack Bartel

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Aug 11, 2011
the only fair tax is Sales tax, maybe a half a cent to be paid for in several years, the fair part is that everybody pays sales tax, even the people who will just vote no, or the ones who will just not go to the polls to vote.
fed up

Elk City, OK

#5 Aug 11, 2011
Our property taxes go up every year, without fail. Everyone knows that property depreciates every year, but taxes & insurance increase. I've seen the school on 7th street & agree with a new school, but dislike the good old buddy system that raises the cost.
GEE

United States

#6 Aug 12, 2011
I will vote NO against the bond election, Property Tax is too high already.
vote yes

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 Aug 12, 2011
the taxes are always too high, but this new school is worth it! if your taxes go up 280.00 per year, that is .77 per day to have a new school for our kids that we need. northeast and fairview are in bad shape. everyone keeps bringing the school uniform policy into the vote. you might not like the uniform policy but why would you vote no to give our kids the best learning facility over a uniform policy? does not make sense to me but i'm not the smartest person around. our school board is trying to give our kids the best of the best. lets help our school board and quit thinking their out to get us. Mr. Wood is a God fearing good man. he wants the best for the kids and the city of elk city, give them a break.
fed up

Elk City, OK

#8 Aug 12, 2011
I have no opinion on the uniform issue. we are retired & living on a fixed income.We worked hard to buy our home & it's not one of those new ones, probably built in the 70's. we have upkeep & would like to have the money for repairs without going into debt. It's just like the government from the Fed, state & down. the middle class pays it all. guess we could sell our house & live in someones rent house, then we wouldn't own property. goodness knows the people on welfare don't pay their fair share of anything! and I don't dis-agree with the need for a new school, but can you say moderation? Frankly I like the looks of the school uniform, seems like there's a lot less showing of boobs & butt cracks!
memyselfandi

Sayre, OK

#10 Aug 13, 2011
I'll be honest. The only thing I have seen where the schools are really lacking in their current locations is in the Special Ed areas. In Pioneer, the speech therapy sessions are held in little more than a closet!

I looked at the blueprints for the new school at the board office & the classroom set aside for speech therapy is not much bigger, but I'm assuming that there will not be a bunch of crap stored in it like at Pioneer so there will be a little more elbow room.

Beyond that, I think the current schools would work just fine, but it might be a little more cost effective in the way of utilities & janitor/cafeteria worker salaries to have the three schools in one building.
fed up

Elk City, OK

#11 Aug 13, 2011
Details about this were in the paper last night.$35 MILLION! Really? 56 classrooms, 2 cafeterias & 2 gyms! by all means, be sure to include more gyms! to hold 1200 students. Oh, the gyms will double as tornado shelters. that's where I want to be in a tornado!This is flippin' crazy!!
nope

Frisco, TX

#12 Aug 13, 2011
I will vote NO!!!! This is just unheard of!! I'm with the rest of the ppl about it already costing you an arm and a leg to live here... There is not even anything to do in Elk but it costs prob as much to live here as it does Edmond!!! U would think the oil field companies would lend a helping hand and pay for a lot of the school and not the residents that already struggle just to live here!!! Im voting NO and so should everyone else!!!
Republicrat

United States

#13 Aug 13, 2011
Vote yes and pass it so you Elk City People can pay for it or else they will just add more saless taxes and us Beckham County People will have to build it for ya like we always have.!
Realism t its Best

United States

#14 Aug 13, 2011
The bond issue is DOA. The proponents have no one to blame but themselves. They have developed a tremendous amount of ILL WILL with (1) the uniforms issue and (2) the graduation speech issue. Couple the ill will with a 'reach for the stars'$35 million proposal and bingo, DOA.

Too bad. Makes one wonder about the lack of political acumen and the dearth of common sense where the buck stops!
Results Orientated

Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Aug 13, 2011
My views here will not prove to be popular, that I will grant you. Please observe the results of recent local graduates. Visit on of the bloggs on the internet where our youth spend (or WASTE) time. The absolute lack of language skills will not be improved with a "new facility". Observe the youthful people who are employed in the service industries of our area. Will a "new facility" teach an improved work ethic. I started school in a building that did not have flush toilets much less air conditioning. Our lighting was either sunshine or 250 watt bulbs but we knew phonics and arithmetic and spelling and American history......My point is "IT WILL NOT BE THE BUILDING THAT EDUCATES OUR YOUTH" The votes of the majority will determine the shape of "facilities" but be aware (it is my opinion) it is the actions of our community that will result in an end product of which we can be proud or embarrassed to claim.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#17 Aug 13, 2011
fed up wrote:
OK Elkcitians get prepared School bond ielection is coming up! Get ready to kiss your a&& goodbye. According to the school board report in the paper, the new bond for a new school with raise property taxes 28%! They're already sky high! If you don't own property, no problem! Where did we go from building a school that covers the needs into one that is fancier than the next town has? I agree with a new school, but come on!! Did we really have to have the fancy hi-school with a gym that's 1/3 full at a game?
It is quite refreshing to see intelligent ppl see how the corruptors like to keep ppl enslaved. Which is done by keeping the town & its ppl in debt. They've been able to do this for a long time, it will take this town getting their act(s) together & putting their feet down. Attend these town meetings...for this is where the POWER OF THE PEOPLE RESIDE!! And they know thisssss. I'm looking for ppl who want to fight to take this town/area back from that which has entered into & taken it over. I do have what will accomplish this, but I won't use it unlesssss I sssee ppl coming together & fighting for this town. They love making ppl "hunger" for that good slice of life. You see it in all their advertisements & extravagant life styles. When I look at these types of homes I don't think about what they have...I think about how close they are to losing it all. ;-) C'mon Elk City the alarm clock is going off...TIME TO AWAKEN FROM YOUR SLEEP!!!
fed up

Elk City, OK

#18 Aug 13, 2011
Well, one of the first things the new city manager hit upon was having a "study" done at the tune of about $76 thou. to see if they "needed" to raise the water rates. what good old buddy did that money go to? and another thing that gripes my tail, is the free water to the city employees! and to read our meter, they'd have to dig it up! as for the new buildings, we've made one gob rich! How to they always happen to have the lowest ids on every project? Just sayin'...
lmao

United States

#19 Aug 14, 2011
"fed up" ummm genius if your gonna tell a story get it right! The city employees don't get "free" water as u put!!! For the money they make they "should" get free water and a lot more stuff... Heck I dunno how the hell they live on what they make as it is... That's besides the point that we as community should vote no due to the fact that people can't afford to live here as it is much less with a 28% raise of property tax!!!
jkm

United States

#20 Aug 14, 2011
Raising the property tax is not a fair issue, a 1/2 cent sales tax makes more sense, what about some people that own several rent houses & apartment complexes, they will be really hit hard and the people living in rent houses pay nothing for a new school but will pay higher rent., if it was a 1/2 cent sales tax every one who shops and lives in Elk City would be paying for this new proposal, This bond issue is rediculious.
VOTE NO
fed up

Elk City, OK

#21 Aug 14, 2011
lmao wrote:
"fed up" ummm genius if your gonna tell a story get it right! The city employees don't get "free" water as u put!!! For the money they make they "should" get free water and a lot more stuff... Heck I dunno how the hell they live on what they make as it is... That's besides the point that we as community should vote no due to the fact that people can't afford to live here as it is much less with a 28% raise of property tax!!!
Gee thanks for the genius', I was only thinking of myself as of normal intelligence! I was commenting on corruption & yes free water for some should be illegal. sorry, I was told my one such city employee that he had free water & his speinklers go 25/7. can this not be a discussion site without some smart alec , name calling? grow up!
tsh

United States

#23 Aug 15, 2011
A question comes to mind, What will they do with the old grade schools if they build a new one ?? Vote No

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I think he thought I forgot bout him 1 hr bugOUTbub 2
For You Ladies(?) That Go To Walmart in Your Pa... 3 hr ha ha 12
Morgan sluttrell (Jul '15) 18 hr Fred 2
News Elk City hospital accuses insurer of trying to ... 21 hr As I see it 11
News Oklahoma Police: Meth Mom Molested Her Kids Whi... (Jan '14) Nov 29 Lottery Traitors 115
Walmart black friday sale Nov 27 Watson Phillips S... 3
Wal-mart pig heads! (Jul '11) Nov 24 Anonymous 39

Elk City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elk City Mortgages