Space port in burn flat
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hmm

Dallas, TX

#23 Nov 1, 2011
Spaceport Not wrote:
<quoted text>Forty years ago when the Air Force left, they reserved the right to rent the runway. The USAF yearly gave millions of dollars to SWODA and later the Space agency to provide maint. and a fire/crash rescue dept. It was huge waste of taxpayer money. Earlier this year that all changed. The USAF still uses the runway, but now provide their own personnel. IIRC, the company that got the big fat government grant to build a space vehicle, went belly up. Trivia question: Which member of the singing group "The Monkees" served in the USAF at BF?
Not sure, bit havnt heard of them in years
Spaceport Not

Dallas, TX

#24 Nov 1, 2011
citizen wrote:
I give up. Who was it?
Michael Nesmith was stationed at Clinton Sherman AFB in BF. His mother invented liquid paper correction fluid.
lifelong resident

United States

#25 Nov 1, 2011
Spaceport Not wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct. No space vehicle has ever, or will ever take off and land at BF. Ever!! It was a scam from the start. The people that have lived in the area know this. If they don't, they're pretty gullible and stupid. The spaceport was a way for certain people and agencies to receive govt grants. It's all about the money. Remember in the 1980's it was going to be a "wayport" for both commercial passenger and transport aircraft? It was all over the TV and newspapers. The spaceport, like the wayport, will just fade away.
You are incorrect in stating that no space vehicle has ever taken off or landed at the airstrip in Burns Flat. It was in fact, a waypoint, and emergency landing strip, through the entire 30 years of the shuttle program. I have pictures of a space shuttle sitting on the Tarmac there. So, check your facts before you act like you know everything.
Spaceport Not

Dallas, TX

#26 Nov 1, 2011
lifelong resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect in stating that no space vehicle has ever taken off or landed at the airstrip in Burns Flat. It was in fact, a waypoint, and emergency landing strip, through the entire 30 years of the shuttle program. I have pictures of a space shuttle sitting on the Tarmac there. So, check your facts before you act like you know everything.
You know what I mean. The shuttle has never launched here, or landed here on it's own wheels. Air Force One did land here with Carter, though. I got close enough to spit a loogie on him, but I restrained myself. LOL!! The coolest thing I've ever seen here was a CIA SR71 Blackbird & a U2.
FYI

Tulsa, OK

#27 Nov 3, 2011
The space port was/is funded by private investors, and a little bit of the tax payers money. At first it was receiving up to a $1 million from the government, but it now only receives $400,000. It has failed miserably in the last however many years, and hasn't shown any promising activity that will last. I will say this though it would be neat to see it happen, but as shown in past years the chances are slim to none.
Anne

Frisco, TX

#28 Feb 8, 2012
I used to live in Burns Flat. They should change the name of the town to "Spaceport." That would be cool. "Burns Flat" sounds like something you really don't want happening. Lol
Dill City Sucks

Lindsay, OK

#29 Feb 8, 2012
Anne wrote:
I used to live in Burns Flat. They should change the name of the town to "Spaceport." That would be cool. "Burns Flat" sounds like something you really don't want happening. Lol
Why? It's never going to be a spaceport. Keep the original name. It comes from the fact that a man named Burns had a flat chested wife. LOL. Nowadays it would be called Burns Implants!!!!
Realism at its Best

United States

#30 Feb 8, 2012
Does an air traffic controller still man the tower?
aka747

Dallas, TX

#31 Feb 8, 2012
They have a program for the kids that is great through the school my daughter loved it so glad it is there.
Clinton Sherman

Lindsay, OK

#32 Feb 8, 2012
Realism at its Best wrote:
Does an air traffic controller still man the tower?
8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday I think.
Realism at its Best

United States

#33 Feb 8, 2012
Clinton Sherman wrote:
<quoted text> 8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday I think.
Thanks. I'd be shocked if only $400,000 a year in taxpayer support is being wasted on that fiasco. Spaceport indeed!
Clinton Sherman

Lindsay, OK

#34 Feb 8, 2012
Realism at its Best wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. I'd be shocked if only $400,000 a year in taxpayer support is being wasted on that fiasco. Spaceport indeed!
Taxpayers have been taking it up the wazoo to the tune of several million dollars a year, to fund the runway and related needs. Hopefully, the USAF can manage it for a lot less money. The Space Agency out there needs to go!!!!!!! If any spacecraft ever lands at BF it will have Martians at the freaking controls, and not humans!!!!
i know

Elk City, OK

#35 Feb 8, 2012
Dill City Sucks wrote:
<quoted text> Why? It's never going to be a spaceport. Keep the original name. It comes from the fact that a man named Burns had a flat chested wife. LOL. Nowadays it would be called Burns Implants!!!!
Not even funny. Yawnnnn
the ex

Victorville, CA

#36 Oct 2, 2012
I know him well wrote:
I've know old richard for quite some time and hate to say but what has been said is true. He acts like he's a big christian but lies better than anyone I ever known. and no we really never had and problems between us, but I just can't take all his lying and he use to cheat on his wife. Con-man is a good word for him. can't stand a lier or cheat. Gotta give him credit he's good at it....
I knew him very well. He still owes people he knew in the A.F. money they loaned him because he was cutting a albumn. He left job after job to skip out on paying child support and owes 25 yrs. of backowed. I've heard from so many people over the years that he either owes them money or he has lied to them. I know for a fact that he has lied on the internet about his music. I was there. He had 3 days that he opened for Tom Scott, not a tour. As for the other info. I haven't an idea. I know he was almost taken to court for child molesting, but not enough physical evidence, so the DA through it out. That does not mean he was not guilty. He worked in the police dept. in Ok. with no more experince than he did statics, for the security police dept. of the Air Force. He never was one though. No one was more shocked to see him walk out of Elk City with a gun and badge than me. Yes, he lies and I haven't idea how he has the education to do these jobs. May I suggest some one check his credentals? Also would love to get that back owed child support before he dies, so if the DA is reading, thankyou.
the ex

Hesperia, CA

#38 Aug 17, 2014
I knew him very well. He still owes people he knew in the A.F. money they loaned him because he was cutting a albumn. He left job after job to skip out on paying child support and owes 25 yrs. of backowed. I've heard from so many people over the years that he either owes them money or he has lied to them. I know for a fact that he has lied on the internet about his music. I was there. He had 3 days that he opened for Tom Scott, not a tour. As for the other info. I haven't an idea. I know he was almost taken to court for child molesting, but not enough physical evidence, so the DA through it out. That does not mean he was not guilty. He worked in the police dept. in Ok. with no more experince than he did statics, for the security police dept. of the Air Force. He never was one though. No one was more shocked to see him walk out of Elk City with a gun and badge than me. Yes, he lies and I haven't idea how he has the education to do these jobs. May I suggest some one check his credentals? Also would love to get that back owed child support before he dies, so if the DA is reading, thankyou.
Update: The state of Ca. took Richard to court for arrears, which after a few years are now paid to the state, at which time they started collecting back owed childsupport. As soon as he found it was headed my way he had it dropped, but I am glad to say he has it all paid as of this year! What a shock. Of course my children are in their 30's now, with children of their own. How nice it would have been for them to have had this when it was most needed. I believe in giving credit when credit is due. So, cuddos to him for paying it, and to all responsible for not letting this creep get away with not living up to supporting, at least partly four children. God bless the true father that has raised his children for the last 27 years, as he worked multiple jobs so these kids could finish school.
Carlos

United States

#39 Aug 18, 2014
Space Port? Like near by in Burns Flat? I am going there to get a job. My friends (well, people who know me) tell me I am a real space cadet. Maybe i can put this talent to good use.

Space Port get ready, here comes a real space cadet. Yehaw! Carlos is on the way.
Carlos

United States

#40 Aug 18, 2014
OK, I just got back from Burns Flat. I drove all over that place for two hours - 2 damn hours - and never found a Space Port or anything that looked like a Space Port. Where in the hell is the Space Port?

I saw a convenience store, a bank, a school, a football field, but no Space Port!!!!! And there I was, you know, all enthused about using my space cadet skills that have been honed to perfection after years as a damn fool idiot!

Anyone who brings up this Space Port crapola again can kiss my ass! So there!
Carlos

United States

#41 Aug 19, 2014
according to the urban dictionary a space cadet is defined as:

"one who is so easily lost in reverie (synonym trance, daydream) they lose all awareness of the surrounding physical world. Words closely related to space cadet - retard, air head, idiot, loser moron"

I just know that i qualify for a space cadet position. I am going back to Burns Flat today and find that Space Port this thread talks about. I know I am fully qualified to be a space cadet after reading about it. It is the job of my dreams I have searched for my entire life.

Look out Space Port and Burns Flat, here I come!
Carlos

United States

#42 Aug 20, 2014
OK, I have covered Burn Flat with a fine toothed comb searching for the Space Port and it ain't there. Spent three hours - 3 hole hours - there yesterday looking. Found a runway but no Space Port.

I talked to a man sitting in the shade looking at the runway. He invited me to come over some nite and watch the aliens land and take off so i am going to do that. He said if I truly wanted to be a space cadet I could put that on my application and it might help me get hired. He told me NASA in Houston is hiring. May try that after a month or two of watching the aliens do touch and goes at night.

At least there is some hope for me. That man, strange man, he was pretty sure i was space cadet material after talking to me for a little while! That made me feel good, real good!
Mcrvcr

Columbus, OH

#43 Jul 19, 2016
I saw it a few days ago. Certainly something is up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christine Coffins 1 hr LOL 3
Christine coffin 4 hr Dwb0515 9
Me and Miss Jo Jo naked 9 hr Juan Carlos 1
Waiting in dhs. 10 hr Karen 3
How many girls from elk turned stripper 20 hr Ehs 26
Juan Vickers 22 hr Juan 2
Terry's Candida Furniture Elk City Oklahoma Thu 8equalsD 13

Elk City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance