Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

Spaceport Not wrote:
<quoted text>Forty years ago when the Air Force left, they reserved the right to rent the runway. The USAF yearly gave millions of dollars to SWODA and later the Space agency to provide maint. and a fire/crash rescue dept. It was huge waste of taxpayer money. Earlier this year that all changed. The USAF still uses the runway, but now provide their own personnel. IIRC, the company that got the big fat government grant to build a space vehicle, went belly up. Trivia question: Which member of the singing group "The Monkees" served in the USAF at BF?
Not sure, bit havnt heard of them in years
Spaceport Not

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

citizen wrote:
I give up. Who was it?
Michael Nesmith was stationed at Clinton Sherman AFB in BF. His mother invented liquid paper correction fluid.
lifelong resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

Spaceport Not wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct. No space vehicle has ever, or will ever take off and land at BF. Ever!! It was a scam from the start. The people that have lived in the area know this. If they don't, they're pretty gullible and stupid. The spaceport was a way for certain people and agencies to receive govt grants. It's all about the money. Remember in the 1980's it was going to be a "wayport" for both commercial passenger and transport aircraft? It was all over the TV and newspapers. The spaceport, like the wayport, will just fade away.
You are incorrect in stating that no space vehicle has ever taken off or landed at the airstrip in Burns Flat. It was in fact, a waypoint, and emergency landing strip, through the entire 30 years of the shuttle program. I have pictures of a space shuttle sitting on the Tarmac there. So, check your facts before you act like you know everything.
Spaceport Not

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

lifelong resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect in stating that no space vehicle has ever taken off or landed at the airstrip in Burns Flat. It was in fact, a waypoint, and emergency landing strip, through the entire 30 years of the shuttle program. I have pictures of a space shuttle sitting on the Tarmac there. So, check your facts before you act like you know everything.
You know what I mean. The shuttle has never launched here, or landed here on it's own wheels. Air Force One did land here with Carter, though. I got close enough to spit a loogie on him, but I restrained myself. LOL!! The coolest thing I've ever seen here was a CIA SR71 Blackbird & a U2.
FYI

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

The space port was/is funded by private investors, and a little bit of the tax payers money. At first it was receiving up to a $1 million from the government, but it now only receives $400,000. It has failed miserably in the last however many years, and hasn't shown any promising activity that will last. I will say this though it would be neat to see it happen, but as shown in past years the chances are slim to none.
Anne

North Richland Hills, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

I used to live in Burns Flat. They should change the name of the town to "Spaceport." That would be cool. "Burns Flat" sounds like something you really don't want happening. Lol
Dill City Sucks

Maysville, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Anne wrote:
I used to live in Burns Flat. They should change the name of the town to "Spaceport." That would be cool. "Burns Flat" sounds like something you really don't want happening. Lol
Why? It's never going to be a spaceport. Keep the original name. It comes from the fact that a man named Burns had a flat chested wife. LOL. Nowadays it would be called Burns Implants!!!!
Realism at its Best

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Does an air traffic controller still man the tower?
aka747

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

They have a program for the kids that is great through the school my daughter loved it so glad it is there.
Clinton Sherman

Maysville, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Realism at its Best wrote:
Does an air traffic controller still man the tower?
8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday I think.
Realism at its Best

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Clinton Sherman wrote:
<quoted text> 8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday I think.
Thanks. I'd be shocked if only $400,000 a year in taxpayer support is being wasted on that fiasco. Spaceport indeed!
Clinton Sherman

Maysville, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

Realism at its Best wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. I'd be shocked if only $400,000 a year in taxpayer support is being wasted on that fiasco. Spaceport indeed!
Taxpayers have been taking it up the wazoo to the tune of several million dollars a year, to fund the runway and related needs. Hopefully, the USAF can manage it for a lot less money. The Space Agency out there needs to go!!!!!!! If any spacecraft ever lands at BF it will have Martians at the freaking controls, and not humans!!!!
i know

Elk City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Dill City Sucks wrote:
<quoted text> Why? It's never going to be a spaceport. Keep the original name. It comes from the fact that a man named Burns had a flat chested wife. LOL. Nowadays it would be called Burns Implants!!!!
Not even funny. Yawnnnn
the ex

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

I know him well wrote:
I've know old richard for quite some time and hate to say but what has been said is true. He acts like he's a big christian but lies better than anyone I ever known. and no we really never had and problems between us, but I just can't take all his lying and he use to cheat on his wife. Con-man is a good word for him. can't stand a lier or cheat. Gotta give him credit he's good at it....
I knew him very well. He still owes people he knew in the A.F. money they loaned him because he was cutting a albumn. He left job after job to skip out on paying child support and owes 25 yrs. of backowed. I've heard from so many people over the years that he either owes them money or he has lied to them. I know for a fact that he has lied on the internet about his music. I was there. He had 3 days that he opened for Tom Scott, not a tour. As for the other info. I haven't an idea. I know he was almost taken to court for child molesting, but not enough physical evidence, so the DA through it out. That does not mean he was not guilty. He worked in the police dept. in Ok. with no more experince than he did statics, for the security police dept. of the Air Force. He never was one though. No one was more shocked to see him walk out of Elk City with a gun and badge than me. Yes, he lies and I haven't idea how he has the education to do these jobs. May I suggest some one check his credentals? Also would love to get that back owed child support before he dies, so if the DA is reading, thankyou.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Elk City Forum right now

Search the Elk City Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 6 min Packing Heat 69,731
laura matney 7 min Carlos 618
Homeland 1 hr Yadah Yadah Yadah 2
ld (Jan '13) 3 hr Speaker System 781
Susan Acuna & Brandon Earle engaged 5 hr pimphandstrong 29
Lets start a rock band 5 hr GL67FYI 3
Laci dorman 6 hr hopeful 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Elk City Jobs

•••