Hostess going bankrupt

Posted in the Elk City Forum

Citizen

Wayne, OK

#1 Nov 16, 2012
Hostess, maker of twinkies and ho ho is going bankrupt, blaming it on the bakers union. Hostess is just lying to you, as most large corporations do to their customers. Yes, I believe it is part of the healthy food movement that has put them out of business, and for the good of the population. The shelf life of a hostess twinkie is 20 years. Now just think about what this tasty treat does to your body. They are so bad for you, and now people are seeing the light, finally. You can make your own twinkies at home if you have enough lard and sugar.
proud oilfield worker

Maysville, OK

#2 Nov 16, 2012
Citizen wrote:
Hostess, maker of twinkies and ho ho is going bankrupt, blaming it on the bakers union. Hostess is just lying to you, as most large corporations do to their customers. Yes, I believe it is part of the healthy food movement that has put them out of business, and for the good of the population. The shelf life of a hostess twinkie is 20 years. Now just think about what this tasty treat does to your body. They are so bad for you, and now people are seeing the light, finally. You can make your own twinkies at home if you have enough lard and sugar.
The unions have destroyed this and many other great companies. The salary and benefit concessions the unions have forced these companies to make are completely unsustainable. Yes, the health food movement could have a hand in Hostess' demise, but the fact that they are paying their factory workers 20+ dollars an hour, and paying them a full retirement without employee contributions is a much larger factor. Look at what the unions have done to the American auto industry. The unions are almost solely at fault for the collapse of GM and Chrysler.
Kim

Norwalk, OH

#3 Nov 16, 2012
no, the shelf life of a twinkie is NOT 20 years.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/e...
JimBob

United States

#4 Nov 16, 2012
This is a hint of things to come. It has little to do with health foods and everything to do with unions that refuse to recognize the economic facts of doing business!

Of course this only the opinion of a dumb redneck hillbilly, so take it with a grain of salt.
Jim

Norwood, NJ

#5 Nov 16, 2012
Citizen wrote:
Um...no. Shelf life of a Twinkie is not 20 years, more like a month at best. It's not poison bro, it's a sweet cake. It's not meant to be good for you, it's meant to be a treat, not a daily supplement.
Sandi

Norman, OK

#6 Nov 16, 2012
I agree that the unions have to take some responsibility for the mess we are in.
oh

Elk City, OK

#7 Nov 16, 2012
No more twinkies and ho hos :-(
lol

Norman, OK

#8 Nov 16, 2012
Don't worry, Elk City will always have Ho Ho's. :-)
lol

Yukon, OK

#9 Nov 16, 2012
You can always eat my ding dong.
Robby

Sayville, NY

#10 Nov 17, 2012
No the unions are not the reason why Hostess went down-they have been for a while now, and the bakers, well, they were getting paid shit, and haven't had a raise in years, their salaries we not matching the economy, so don't sit there and blame the bakers, because Hostess could have hired shape people, but instead closed their doors, because they were so in debt. I just hope the people who worked for them for decades get some kind of retirement-but then again, there goes the corporate making sure their big boys get a nice cut, and in the end the workers get screwed. yeah-blame it on the unions for the doors to be shut you uneducated peeps who have no idea.
JimBob

United States

#11 Nov 17, 2012
You are nothing but an obama-lovin union hack. There was a place for unions at one time but they outlived their usefulness years and years ago. The unions are filled with people that actually believe, and want to believe, the unions are taking care of them. These are lazy buffons that can't think for themselves and require a guiding hand to lead them thru life. The only people the unions are taking care of are the upper echelon of union bosses!

Management is equally to blame in recent decades for constantly giving in to union demands and passing the cost on to consumers.

When a company is obviously going under and the union votes in such a way as to force the business to close, it is called screwing yourself. The taxpayers, what few are left, will be on the hook for some of the union stupidity!
Seriously

Sayre, OK

#12 Nov 17, 2012
The unions are the reason Hostess went down. READ THE NEWS STORIES FROM RELIABLE NEWS SERVICES. Hostess could no longer afford the union wages and demands. I think this will happen to even more unionized companies soon. Look at UPS. There is not one delivery driver worth what they are getting paid plus all the benefits they get paid for by the company. Look at the post office. It needs shut down. There is no one that goes out and walks door to door putting mail in boxes worth what they are being paid. Yes at one time maybe the unions were needed to stop the sweat shops, but no more. There is enough labor laws out there to protect the workers. I will not by nor associate with anything that touches union hands if I can keep from it.

United States

#13 Nov 17, 2012
Robby wrote:
No the unions are not the reason why Hostess went down-they have been for a while now, and the bakers, well, they were getting paid shit, and haven't had a raise in years, their salaries we not matching the economy, so don't sit there and blame the bakers, because Hostess could have hired shape people, but instead closed their doors, because they were so in debt. I just hope the people who worked for them for decades get some kind of retirement-but then again, there goes the corporate making sure their big boys get a nice cut, and in the end the workers get screwed. yeah-blame it on the unions for the doors to be shut you uneducated peeps who have no idea.
Maybe your the uneducated one. Read up on unions and what they do. Yes they were put in place to protect the workers but you can't continue to pay people's medical after they retire or to afford to give every person that works there the kind of retirement they offer. The unions need to step back and remember they are there to protect their employees not rape the federal government

United States

#14 Nov 17, 2012
JimBob wrote:
You are nothing but an obama-lovin union hack. There was a place for unions at one time but they outlived their usefulness years and years ago. The unions are filled with people that actually believe, and want to believe, the unions are taking care of them. These are lazy buffons that can't think for themselves and require a guiding hand to lead them thru life. The only people the unions are taking care of are the upper echelon of union bosses!

Management is equally to blame in recent decades for constantly giving in to union demands and passing the cost on to consumers.

When a company is obviously going under and the union votes in such a way as to force the business to close, it is called screwing yourself. The taxpayers, what few are left, will be on the hook for some of the union stupidity!
Couldn't have said it better!!

United States

#15 Nov 17, 2012
Citizen wrote:
Do you know how or why twinkies came into existence?!? You should read up on it, it's a part of American history and the story has to do with the people that fought and died for your freedom to be on the site crying and whining!!! And just because people make sweets doesn't mean your fat butt has to buy them or eat them!!! It's called self control not micromanagement by the federal government
JuggaloPops

Panama City, FL

#16 Nov 17, 2012
When you charge $5.00 a box of nasty ass cakes and your rival aka Walmart seels similar nasty ass hostess cakes at half the price , its only time before you get ran out of town.
Sandi

Norman, OK

#18 Nov 17, 2012
JimBob wrote:

Amen!
Miranda

Columbia, MO

#19 Nov 19, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Um...no. Shelf life of a Twinkie is not 20 years, more like a month at best. It's not poison bro, it's a sweet cake. It's not meant to be good for you, it's meant to be a treat, not a daily supplement.
First, a Twinkie never expires, nor goes bad. It has too many preservatives in it for it to expire. Get your facts straight if you're going to call someone out like that.
Jose

Elk City, OK

#20 Dec 15, 2012
Citizen wrote:
I really miss Twinkies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
April Ruiz 1 hr Wanna meet up 28
Sarah Isler Abortion 2 hr fedup 2
Hobbs and lovelady divorce? 3 hr M R bro 24
oil field redneck trash 4 hr Truth and justice 11
weed in elk city 5 hr yougottabekiddin 6
why do people hate the oilfield? (Jun '12) 9 hr heidi j 338
Circle W and Whitsons 13 hr Mosey 6
Elk City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web