Ex-Jehovah's Witness willing to answe...
truthseeker

White Plains, NY

#324 Oct 10, 2012
Neeneree wrote:
I have quite a sticky situation. I recently "escaped" what could have been a very tumultuous situation.

Neeneree,
I too feel like I have escaped from the religion. While no body 'forced' me to sit down and study, they do a good job of convincing you they are doing a 'Bible study' from their colorful illustrations and quotes taken out of context. But once I openened up the Bible for myself and started to really read what was written, I felt like I 'escaped'. It's like when people 'escaped' the ways of the world, no body 'forced' them to be worldy. For example 2 Peter 2:20
If they have ESCAPED the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ..."

In addition, I guess it would be difficult to think that they would be teaching your child lessons about obedience and respect considering the situations you have undergone. I'm sure the people you interacted with would not be the ones you would want to instill values in your children. I went to Catholic school most of my life, and they too taught me to honor my father and mother. I'm pretty sure that there are people in a wide variety of religions that also encourage such values in children. I am also sure there are atheists that teach the children to be obedient and respectful.

An interesting technique that witnesses use is to make you question the sincerity of your faith. As if you are the one who is doing something wrong. This occurs whether a horrible encounter has occurred and especially when you 'question' their faith. It's interesting because they welcome questions. But only so they can give you the 'answer' that they can provide. There is no such thing as questioning to challenge a doctrine. That doesn't exist. I know this because when I have challenged doctrines, which I am sure you must have done in your meeting with those Elders, they go on the offensive.

They have a sense that they know the truth and path to righteousness. Which is really not that bad a thing when you think about it. However, this means that everyone else was wrong. But don't worry about this too much, because you are in good company. For example, even their esteemed founder, Charles Taze Russel had very pagan beliefs. He actually believed that the pyramids in Giza were scripture in stone. BTW, that's something he introduced. It wasn't something that was there from the beginning. I mean for example, many religions have changed their views over time. You could say their light got brighter, based on scriptural evidence. But what to say of a doctrine that is purely pagan. What 'light' led him there? I always joked that if CTZ were alive today, the JW's would kick him out of the religion. Anyway, sending you all the virtual support I can. Know that you are not alone. But I highly encourage you to read the Bible and find a religious denomination that is about building your relationship to God and not about testing your loyalty to an organization.
anyone

United States

#325 Oct 10, 2012
Some guy wrote:
Here's a question...why do you people think it is ok to walk around people's neighborhoods and come to their houses, to disturb them by trying to convert them over to your religion? I was raised Southern Christian, and you won't ever catch us bothering someone to cram our beliefs down their throats. I consider it very rude to go to someone's home and bother them with this type of stuff, most people already have their core beliefs, and all the talking from you in the world aint gonna change them.
No one is forcing you to do anything and they certainly don't cram their beliefs down your throat. They come to the door the way a pizza man would come bringing you coupons giving you reasons why you should choose them. Is that considered cramming pizza down your throat?? I dont think so. You would just politely say no and move on. Would this be a forum about "EX Pizza Lovers" if more ppl didn't like pizza??
Madge

Traverse City, MI

#326 Oct 10, 2012
True, no one is forcing us to answer the door. And, the forum would probably be about "EX Pizza Lovers", if the pizza poisoned our minds, and created divisions in family, among other things.
Madge

Traverse City, MI

#327 Oct 10, 2012
But that pizza probably sounded so good, right? And the delivery man was so polite. He knew all the secret ingredients, and even offered to serve it to me on a silver platter! Poison is still poison no matter how much you dress it up.
anyone

New York, NY

#328 Oct 10, 2012
Madge wrote:
And Anyone, "Peace and Security" is also claimed by the Watchtower. In fact the Bible based talk was given in over 230 lands. And administered at Kingdom Halls on Sunday April 18th 2010.
Ok..so because they have a Watchtower about it makes it untrue?? Whats your point its still in the bible whether "the watchtower" wrote about it or not. You can't deny that.
anyone

New York, NY

#329 Oct 10, 2012
Madge wrote:
But that pizza probably sounded so good, right? And the delivery man was so polite. He knew all the secret ingredients, and even offered to serve it to me on a silver platter! Poison is still poison no matter how much you dress it up.
So one min its ok and the next its "Poison"?? What?! You get it the same way everyone else does. There is no secret ingredients and certainly do not try to bidazzle it to make it more appealing. Its all right there in black in white a.k.a the bible
anyone

New York, NY

#330 Oct 10, 2012
truthseeker wrote:
Neeneree wrote:
I have quite a sticky situation. I recently "escaped" what could have been a very tumultuous situation.
Neeneree,
I too feel like I have escaped from the religion. While no body 'forced' me to sit down and study, they do a good job of convincing you they are doing a 'Bible study' from their colorful illustrations and quotes taken out of context. But once I openened up the Bible for myself and started to really read what was written, I felt like I 'escaped'. It's like when people 'escaped' the ways of the world, no body 'forced' them to be worldy. For example 2 Peter 2:20
If they have ESCAPED the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ..."
In addition, I guess it would be difficult to think that they would be teaching your child lessons about obedience and respect considering the situations you have undergone. I'm sure the people you interacted with would not be the ones you would want to instill values in your children. I went to Catholic school most of my life, and they too taught me to honor my father and mother. I'm pretty sure that there are people in a wide variety of religions that also encourage such values in children. I am also sure there are atheists that teach the children to be obedient and respectful.
An interesting technique that witnesses use is to make you question the sincerity of your faith. As if you are the one who is doing something wrong. This occurs whether a horrible encounter has occurred and especially when you 'question' their faith. It's interesting because they welcome questions. But only so they can give you the 'answer' that they can provide. There is no such thing as questioning to challenge a doctrine. That doesn't exist. I know this because when I have challenged doctrines, which I am sure you must have done in your meeting with those Elders, they go on the offensive.
They have a sense that they know the truth and path to righteousness. Which is really not that bad a thing when you think about it. However, this means that everyone else was wrong. But don't worry about this too much, because you are in good company. For example, even their esteemed founder, Charles Taze Russel had very pagan beliefs. He actually believed that the pyramids in Giza were scripture in stone. BTW, that's something he introduced. It wasn't something that was there from the beginning. I mean for example, many religions have changed their views over time. You could say their light got brighter, based on scriptural evidence. But what to say of a doctrine that is purely pagan. What 'light' led him there? I always joked that if CTZ were alive today, the JW's would kick him out of the religion. Anyway, sending you all the virtual support I can. Know that you are not alone. But I highly encourage you to read the Bible and find a religious denomination that is about building your relationship to God and not about testing your loyalty to an organization.
2 peter 2:20 says having escaped from the difilements of the world By an Accurate knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And your right it would mean everyone is wrong. There are only two kinds of religion, one right, one wrong. One that lead that leads to life and one that leads to destruction. Matt 7: 13, 14. Someone will be wrong
Madge

Traverse City, MI

#331 Oct 10, 2012
Anyone,
Accurate knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is correct. However, the Watchtowers Jesus is nullified to an Archangel. A created spirit person. He is not equal to God, but a "lesser mighty God". Which is strange to me, because the JWs also claim there is only one TRUE god, yet claim that Jesus is a lesser mighty God. So, that certainly CANT be accurate knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, can it... Even more then that, if you ask a Witness is they are poly or monothiestic they always say monothiestic. How can that be if Jesus is "a god" as well (CHECK the nwt John 1:1 for the term "a God"). Once you do that feel free to compare that particular translation to the King James version of the Bible. It says "and the word was God" Clearly the "a" was added to support the denouncing of the trinity. And if you want the know the truth, no religion is right. Because all religions are subject to mans law. And, you dont need laws to keep you in line when you accept the ACCURATE Jesus into your heart.

P.S. The delicious pizza comment is called sarcasm. Witnesses make their religion sound so wonderful with pictures of everlasting life on paradise earth. They dress so nice... The offer to serve all the answers to you... But dont tell you all the secret ingredients that went into those answers... like disfellowshipping, cutting ties with non members, guilt, manipulation. Do you get it now?... But no matter how wonderful a witness can make it sound,and how polite and well dressed they are, it is still spiritual poison.
Madge

Traverse City, MI

#332 Oct 10, 2012
Anyne,
I definitely give you props for believing in your faith so strongly that you can come onto a website such as this and defend it. I wish you all the best in the world, and if the rest of the world had the drive to serve God as eagerly as JWs are to serve Jehovah, well the world really would be a better place. Unfortunately, we will never see eye to eye on "the truth" but I still commend you very much for coming onto a site like this and defending your beliefs. That alone takes guts. But I am curious, why exactly are you here? I dont think you are going to change anyones mind. Most here already know everything you are saying, they used to be one remember? And, if they still walked away knowing these things, how exactly is it going to change their minds now?
anyone

New York, NY

#333 Oct 11, 2012
Madge wrote:
Anyne,
I definitely give you props for believing in your faith so strongly that you can come onto a website such as this and defend it. I wish you all the best in the world, and if the rest of the world had the drive to serve God as eagerly as JWs are to serve Jehovah, well the world really would be a better place. Unfortunately, we will never see eye to eye on "the truth" but I still commend you very much for coming onto a site like this and defending your beliefs. That alone takes guts. But I am curious, why exactly are you here? I dont think you are going to change anyones mind. Most here already know everything you are saying, they used to be one remember? And, if they still walked away knowing these things, how exactly is it going to change their minds now?
Thank you very much. But when I read about "Adulsol's" story he made it seem like everything JWs do was forced upon him and made up rules. But its principles they live by. at the watchtower was a bunch of mumbo jumbo but its just a tool to help ppl understand the bible. He can make up websites to help ppl but JWs can't have reading material?? You know?? Its not fair to those who really don't know about them. Sometimes when we hear things that ppl are saying is bad and may nothing about it, we automatically will agree with them. At the time it does make sense because we think, how likely is it that so many ppl could be wrong. I've done it before too. And I definitely get why some ppl may turn away some things just aren't as appealing to the naked eyey but JWs arent like crazy Lol. Still go to movies have parties do outdoor an indoor activities. But you are entitled to believe what you want and I honestly can't say that your wrong about your experiences with them because, Well I wasn't there Lol. But I wish you the best in everything you do and hope yoy have a great life :-)
anyone

New York, NY

#334 Oct 11, 2012
And one more thing I downloaded the the holy bible app on my phone its by lifechurch.tv and I looked at the Kjv like you mentioned and I seen at john 1:1 it said "the word was with God and the word was God". I didn't see "a God". Not trying to be agruementative but I wanted to look an see like you mentioned. And I don't expect a response I just wanted you to know I was listening to what you were saying and not just giving my one sided opinion.
Madge

Traverse City, MI

#335 Oct 11, 2012
You will only find the "a god" translation in the NWT bible. Even if you use the Greek Interlinear Bible which is what the NWT was translated from it is "and the word was god." Only the NWT as the "a" added. There are other areas where what seems to be small details like this only occur in the NWT which gives entirely different meanings to the scripture. However it cannot be supported. If you are interested in which ones feel free to message me and ask!:)
Madge

Traverse City, MI

#336 Oct 11, 2012
Principles, yes, they do live by. I have met alot of very nice, well meaning Jws. And while their hearts are in the right place, unfotunately the entire belief system is flawed. It was started by C.T. Russell, who claimed the end was coming in 1914. When it didnt, his followers began to worship HIM as Jesus.(talk about an ego boost!) Of course, the WT has had many claims to end dates, much like Revelations would warn about as far as false prophets. But, the WT claims that they are not a false prophet, because they never claimed these dates IN GODS NAME. Which is a lie, simply because the organization at the same time claims to be "Gods Mouthpiece" and "His only visible organization on earth."
truthseeker

New York, NY

#337 Oct 11, 2012
Madge,
I am impressed with the way you conduct your self on this forum. Kudos to you for taking the high road and giving constructive commentary. I assume you were a JW or at least involved with their literature at one point. I used to study their material, and now no longer associate myself with them. There are several things which, in my opinion, they have correctly interpreted and still continue to believe. For example, I whole heartedly believe the concept of the trinity is not Biblical. I know John 1:1 states in black and white that the Word was God. If the correct understanding of this means Jesus is God, this raises several points.
1. Why did the Bible wait until the 4th Gospel to mention such a point? I mean the authors make clear that Jesus is the Messiah and the Son of God in several books previously. So why make such a bold statement at this point?
2.(similar to 1) Jesus was among the strictly monotheistic Israelites. If Jesus was God, why do you suppose it was not blatantly stated? This would be a completely radical concept. The NT elaborates on him being the Messiah and what that means.This was done for identification as well as to clarify the understanding of what the people were expecting in the Messiah. So how is it that such radical change in doctrine about God would not get equally weighted discussion?
3. If John is saying that Jesus is God, then our conclusion should be a duality of God. How does one infer the trinity based on this?
4. Are you familiar with the Sahadic Coptic version of the Bible? It is one of the earliest manuscripts we have. That does not translate it as the Word is God.
5. Do you know who William Barclay was? He is a very knowledgeable Bible commentator, interlinking the historical, religious, and the authors background of the Bible books to try to draw his conclusion. He has a publication called Many Witnesses, One Lord. This is available for free on Google books. I encourage you to read Chapter 3 about the Word. With his explanation the translation can still be the Word was God, without making Jesus part of a Godhead. The reason being the Word was God, in the sense that he is the exact representation of God. I will not do any justice trying to explain it, but the chapter is historically informative and short. But one thing to note is that although Barclay is a trinitarian, he states that this verse does not say that Jesus was God.
6. Finally, I would like to ask you to try this. Write down your definition of the trinity. Then, put yourself in the sandals of a monotheistic Israelite at the time of Jesus and start reading the NT. At what point would you come to the conclusion of the trinity as given by your definition?
Regardless of what you believe, I think the relationship you have with God is the most important thing. All the understanding of the truth (remember Satan knows the truth better than me or you) is worthless if you don't have love for God and for neighbor. After all God knows the intentions in our heart. Even Charles Taze Russell, the founder of the JW, who introduced such flagrant paganism with his pyramidology may have had good intentions, but that is not for me to judge.
amrd234

United States

#338 Oct 15, 2012
they are right in alot but now are twisting the Scriptures and hypocrites on a large level. Also demonic attitudes that Jehovah is against. They have made themselves gods in the temple of the God as it brings out in 2Thess 2:4. its horrible.
lovingsister

Reynoldsburg, OH

#339 Oct 27, 2012
AuldSoul wrote:
I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 31.5 years and an ex-Jehovah's Witness for 2.5 years. I have found that a lot of people have family members or friends are curious about JWs or confused about how to reach them.
I now live in Hershey, PA. Please feel free to ask me anything you have wanted to know about JWs, or how to help people escape them.
Dear Auldsoul, My brother is a very devout JW. He will soon come to live with me and my husband for a short (but undetermined) amount of time. We are very close, but have that "thing" that comes between us. I am a Christian and have had several good discussions with my brother about his beliefs in years past, but he remains a devout witness. I am praying that his time with us will give us and opportunity to have dialogue that will penetrate his heart and allow him to see that he is in a cult. We are praying that the Holy Spirit will provide the words that we need to speak to help my brother see the real truth.
By the way, my brother is divorced and has one adult son who was disfellowhipped when he was just 16. He doesn't speak to or have a relationship with his son or his two grandsons. So very sad. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Ryan W

Murfreesboro, TN

#340 Nov 1, 2012
I am a Jehovah's Witness whom through open mindedness and diligent studies, have found that its not just Jehovah's Witnesses that are inaccurate in their teachings, but ALL so called Christian religions have been led down the wrong path.
Why do I say this? It is because if you look at a complete history of the world, I did so through the ancient Sumerian texts, you will find that a lot of that history has been left out. We have been fooled by those who would control us into only believing and living by a manipulated version of biblical history that would have us be controlled like slaves rather than live free as we had earned by throwing off the shackles of our former masters(Gods).
I've come to find out that these Gods merely created us to work for them mining gold and other precious metals because they themselves revolted against their leaders because they didn't want to do it. Who are they? They are the ones that say "Let us make man in OUR image" in Genesis. I used to think that was Jehovah talking to Jesus, but I've come to find out otherwise.\
Now, as far as the bible goes, Jehovah's Witnesses as a whole tend to TRY and follow it to the letter, And as a result, are some of the nicest, kindest, honest, and most reliable people you will ever encounter. Unfortunately, they too, as do all Christian religions, worship a God that is NOT the most high. He is a member of a Pantheon who made his move to become the most high as mentioned in Psalm 82.
I'm willing to bet that our God(s) are nothing more than advanced aliens that are easily recognizable with the technological understanding that we have these days!
truthseeker

White Plains, NY

#341 Nov 2, 2012
Ryan W
Who is the correct God then? Is it not Jehovah? And this alien theory you are a proponent of, who made the aliens?
P.S. You would not really be a JW if you believed these things. I am very familiar with their material. The JW do worship a god that is not the most high, and that is their WT.
Michelle

Nassau, Bahamas

#342 Dec 15, 2012
U are wrong , if u want to come out of the religion u do that. Why drag someone with u? Like satan, u are kicked out and dragging persons with you. U chose this on your self. Be a man and suck it up. U knew u would lose your family and that was your choice. Now let people enjoy the religion even if you don't . It's the best thing u can do. I can only imagine wat Jehovah is thinking about a sorry loser like you.
HisDaughter

Lewiston, ID

#343 Dec 22, 2012
@Michelle
What does Jehovah think about a so-called "loser". He gave His only begotten Son!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Smoking buddy around Marietta PA (females only) Jul 25 JohnD 1
The Hershey Company Address (Jan '06) Jun '16 Keira Hume 393
News Talen Energy to be acquired Jun '16 silly rabbit 1
I've been really naughty Apr '16 Anonymous 1
News John Kasich: Ted Cruz 'has no record' Apr '16 Responsibilty 22
Do Derry Township Police Officers have a bad re... (Jan '08) Mar '16 Facts 56
Vote For Donald Trump Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1

Elizabethtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabethtown Mortgages