republicans r morons

Campbellsville, KY

#1 Oct 20, 2010
Apparently city and county govt has agreed to a bone headed decision to do trick or treating Sunday night. Do they realize a majority of families will be at church?

I say we as citizens buck what they say and do it Saturday night. Who is with me.
Not

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Oct 20, 2010
Ok for the bible hoppers this may suck, but most people go to church at 11am, not at 5pm. Plus the kids have the next two days out from school anyhow. Edleast Etown indep. does. I say go trick or treating on the actual holiday. Not the day before.
ghost

Horse Cave, KY

#3 Oct 21, 2010
Hey Bible thumpers. Don't go! Buy your kids some walmart candy. Can't believe you are participating in Devil worship anyway. You can go knock on a thousand doors on Saturday, but ain't no one expecting ya! Idiot. Excuse me, Holy Idiot.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Oct 21, 2010
True meaning of Halloween: Halloween is originally Samhain, a Celtic festival honoring the dead and celebrating the end of summer. Costumes are a symbol for those who have died (dressed as person) and the candy we now give used to be food and gifts many offered to the spirits of the dead that were said to return to the earth for only one night, Halloween. This was considered a religious holiday, tradition, and gave respect to those who have passed on... NOT a Devil holiday. Just like people think gargoyles are bad, devilish creatures...when in fact they are protectors/guardians of wherever they are placed.
I really hope people don't penalize children because this holiday falls on a Sunday and they don't know the true meaning of Halloween.
Happy Halloween!
most

Scottsville, KY

#5 Oct 21, 2010
republicans r morons wrote:
Apparently city and county govt has agreed to a bone headed decision to do trick or treating Sunday night. Do they realize a majority of families will be at church?
I say we as citizens buck what they say and do it Saturday night. Who is with me.
Most of the churches I knkow are canceling their sunday night services. The kids only get to do it once a year. Enjoy it!! If your church still wants to have service maybe next year they can get involved in a trunk or treat, the churches in cecilia do that and everyone loves it!! they have thousands of kids come through every year!!
no tricks or treats

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Oct 21, 2010
Celtic or not, it is still not of God. While I am not a big fan of Halloween I dont see why it cant be done on Sunday. I realize many see Sunday as the Sabbath, but some also consider the same for Saturday. And I don't see an issue.. If you can shop, eat out and etc on Sunday why not just spend the time with your family and have fun. I suppose if one really wanted to make issue of it why dont we just have the government hijack it like they do all the other holidays and make the last Monday of the month Halloween. They can close down all banks and government buildings. More treats for them, the trick is on you.
Re n t o t

Horse Cave, KY

#7 Oct 21, 2010
no tricks or treats wrote:
Celtic or not, it is still not of God. While I am not a big fan of Halloween I dont see why it cant be done on Sunday. I realize many see Sunday as the Sabbath, but some also consider the same for Saturday. And I don't see an issue.. If you can shop, eat out and etc on Sunday why not just spend the time with your family and have fun. I suppose if one really wanted to make issue of it why dont we just have the government hijack it like they do all the other holidays and make the last Monday of the month Halloween. They can close down all banks and government buildings. More treats for them, the trick is on you.
"not of God?" repeat.... "not of God?"...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#8 Oct 21, 2010
Some people just have to make an issue out of everything...really sad when it cuts into the lives of children. Such a shame that adults have nothing better to do than take from their children's lives just to overshadow their own boring (and uneducated) lives.
no tricks or treats

Elizabethtown, KY

#9 Oct 21, 2010
Re n t o t wrote:
<quoted text>
"not of God?" repeat.... "not of God?"...
I was responding to Lily who said it is a Celtic holiday not Satan's holiday. But its not of God, so if you are a christian then whose holiday are you celebrating? If you are Celtic, Happy Samhain!
no tricks or treats

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Oct 21, 2010
I wasn't really meaning to debate the origin of Halloween. I studied the Celts, Druids, Pagans etc in my youth. I was really just commenting on the idea of not trick or treating on the Sabbath, as was the original posters intention. I apologize for sidetracking
varied interests

Horse Cave, KY

#11 Oct 21, 2010
no tricks or treats wrote:
I wasn't really meaning to debate the origin of Halloween. I studied the Celts, Druids, Pagans etc in my youth. I was really just commenting on the idea of not trick or treating on the Sabbath, as was the original posters intention. I apologize for sidetracking
Ever heard of All Saint's Day and ALL SOULS DAY? I do believe that has a connection with-----GOD! Don't make blank statements.
no tricks or treats

Edmonton, KY

#12 Oct 21, 2010
I am not going to debate theology, but the history behind all souls days is not scriptural, its traditional. It stems from the dark ages when Christian Churches took pagan traditions and "chrisitanized" them in an attempt to convert them and make Christanity more mainstream.

Its actually quite fascinating. As a newly converted Christian myself, all of this has an incredible story behind it. This would make for a great project for anyone wanting to teach their family that there is bit more to Halloween than overpriced costumes and sugar highs.
justme

Big Clifty, KY

#13 Oct 29, 2011
trick or treat is MONDAY night, 5-7...so this conversation is moooo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Logyn Corrie 12 min Dr Phil 2
Ashley Reeves 4 hr Dr Phil 2
Online degree ? 6 hr Him 8
Hardin County CPS Makes National News (Feb '11) 6 hr War on cps 74
Mall security 6 hr Him 4
someone don't like me (Jun '08) 10 hr Tiff 5
Crystal McKinney 10 hr Tiff 2

Elizabethtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance