JustBeingMe

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Just wondering if there are any people living off grid or homesteading in the Hardin County area? Would like to know if it has made a big difference doing this? We are interested in doing this also. Just looking for some info from people who have already taken this step. Thanks for any input.
noestablishment

Custer, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

My wife and I have wanted to do the same. I don't know of anyone that does it, but in todays world it seems the only logical thing one should do. There are several websites about it and about homesteading that are chocked full of information. You can actually do it with as little as ten acres of land with some type of waterway.Best of luck to you in your quest.
JustBeingMe

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Hey, thanks. I'm actually new to internet, so I am just now getting around on it also. My friend lives offgrid in Texas, and homesteads also But that is like a whole different world. Doesn't even compare to Kentucky. But I like it here, so I want to try to make it work here. Have a small bit of land,so I appreciate the info. Figure I'll hit the library too.
what a shame

Vine Grove, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

JustBeingMe wrote:
Hey, thanks. I'm actually new to internet, so I am just now getting around on it also. My friend lives offgrid in Texas, and homesteads also But that is like a whole different world. Doesn't even compare to Kentucky. But I like it here, so I want to try to make it work here. Have a small bit of land,so I appreciate the info. Figure I'll hit the library too.
don't know what it is, but sounds like some deadbeat thing. you can bet if it were on the up and up, a lot of people would do it. if it were legal, a lot of people would do it. if it were not sleezy, a lot of people would be doing it.
JustBeingMe

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Off gridding is living with alternative energy. They use wind power, here solar power is best. Nolin has a solar energy program. Homesteading is when you try to be self sufficient. Not relying on the grocery store for all your food and such. You know, raise a garden, can your own food, raise your own chickens for meat and eggs, milk your own cow if you can. Nothing illegal that I can find, certainly don't see what is deadbeat about it. You certainly can't be a lazy person and do it that I know of. I heat my house with wood and it certainly doesn't cut itself and jump in my stoves for me.
noestablishment

Custer, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

what a shame wrote:
<quoted text>
don't know what it is, but sounds like some deadbeat thing. you can bet if it were on the up and up, a lot of people would do it. if it were legal, a lot of people would do it. if it were not sleezy, a lot of people would be doing it.
Lol! No it is not illegal and definitely not for "lazy" people as it requires a whole lot of sweat and manual labor, which explains why most people aren't doing it. Basically you have no need for the modern fast paced world, you owe no utility or food bills. You live off of the land and live a simple life like our forefathers did. No need for credit cards, banks, worries about the economy, etc...
what a shame

Vine Grove, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

So you have computers? Your land is PAID for? You pay taxes on it? It's all on the up and up?
noestablishment

Custer, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Pretty much. Except some do away with computers for they really have no need for them. It is just a conversion to a simpler way of life without the added stresses of the economy. You are your own grocery store, utility company, and so on. Taxes are something that none of us will ever be free from, but longevity in life and livelihood means more to some than working the overtime needed to purchase the new fangled cell phone or iPod.
what a shame wrote:
So you have computers? Your land is PAID for? You pay taxes on it? It's all on the up and up?
JustBeingMe

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

noestablishment wrote:
Pretty much. Except some do away with computers for they really have no need for them. It is just a conversion to a simpler way of life without the added stresses of the economy. You are your own grocery store, utility company, and so on. Taxes are something that none of us will ever be free from, but longevity in life and livelihood means more to some than working the overtime needed to purchase the new fangled cell phone or iPod.<quoted text>
Well said. I for one am looking forward to a more simplistic lifestyle. It is hard work, but at least I'll see my accomplishments at the end of the day, and that will be the reward in itself. I never got that in my 12 years of factory work. Just a 20 minute notice that I had to work overtime.
You Are Kidding

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

what a shame wrote:
I think they are off grid, not off their rockers.Sounds like a very simplis lifestyle. Perhaps like the Amish. Or are they not on the up and up?
Mandy

Hodgenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

Best of luck to you. I don't think I could ever do it, as I do like all the modern conviences. I watched a show on people who do this, & I just think it would be too hard for me.
_Underscore_

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

what a shame wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homesteading

"don't know what it is,"
Yet, you proceeded to comment.
what a shame wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an idiot that can't use google.
fyi

Gradyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

check out the survivalist blog.com lots of information the wolf pack can answer all of your question
WishICould

Burkesville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

I would love to go off grid. I would want some sort of solar power but my electric bill is low so I would never get my money back on installing solar panels. Anybody ever use solar generators for power? With the new EPA rules taking affect I may look for an alternative anyway.Then I won't have to wonder how much our rates may or may not go up.
SortOf

Burkesville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Glad to see this thread. I am partially off the grid. Hopefully by the end of 2012 I'll be fully off. I saw the EPA thing you were mentioning. I don't know how it will affect this area. Being we are a coal state, I am sure we will see some change in our rates. May take a while,but we knew it was bound to happen.
WishICould

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

I did read where rates could go up 5% for 4 years but EKPC is hiring a consultant to see the affects of the ruling. It could be a year before a decision is made. Since they say the economy is good now and people are racking up credit card usage I'm sure there will be no reason for them to deny an increase. So, we can either plan accordingly or find an alternative electrical source.
spartan

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

what a shame wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually,the reason that more people aren't doing it,is because it takes a lot of self-sacrifice to live that way,(that and the land just isn't available everywhere).I personally think it's great that some people are aware of the "tracks" they leave on the planet,and put forth effort at reducing them.And in reality,the sleazy people are those who not only give no mind to the collected damage we put on the earth,but criticize those who do.And considering that plastic can lay in the ground for around a thousand years before it bio-degrades,don't you you suppose that morons who throw Coke/water bottles out the car-window should put to mind just how long it'll be before they're neck deep along every roadway in the country??? In short,people who pay attention to such things and make sacrifices to lessen it while knowing that their efforts are useless are not the ones who are sleazy.Happy New year.
DR P

Hodgenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

JustBeingMe wrote:
Off gridding is living with alternative energy. They use wind power, here solar power is best. Nolin has a solar energy program. Homesteading is when you try to be self sufficient. Not relying on the grocery store for all your food and such. You know, raise a garden, can your own food, raise your own chickens for meat and eggs, milk your own cow if you can. Nothing illegal that I can find, certainly don't see what is deadbeat about it. You certainly can't be a lazy person and do it that I know of. I heat my house with wood and it certainly doesn't cut itself and jump in my stoves for me.
THERE'S A GROUP OF PEOPLE IN SONORA THAT LIVE LIKE THAT. THEY'RE CALLED AMISH.
_Underscore_

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

DR P wrote:
<quoted text>THERE'S A GROUP OF PEOPLE IN SONORA THAT LIVE LIKE THAT. THEY'RE CALLED AMISH.
Permaculture=/=Amish.

Paul Wheaton's Youtube channel has some great videos on it.
I Think It Might Be

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2012

WishICould wrote:
I did read where rates could go up 5% for 4 years but EKPC is hiring a consultant to see the affects of the ruling. It could be a year before a decision is made. Since they say the economy is good now and people are racking up credit card usage I'm sure there will be no reason for them to deny an increase. So, we can either plan accordingly or find an alternative electrical source.
Since EKPC did a lot of upgrading in the last few years at the Spurlock Station, and we have already had a rate increase for that I really don't see that it would increase any. I'm not sure where the utility companies may have been getting the 20% increase. It may have been based on old data. Or maybe EKPC is still being required to upgrade more. Just plan ahead. Nolin has a lot of great ways to help save, but I feel like a lot of other people these days. I would like an alternative electical source, but you have two choices I think. Solar or do without. Rates are cheap in Kentucky but, as the saying goes, "Nothing good last forever".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Elizabethtown Forum right now

Search the Elizabethtown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Criminal defense attorney 34 min Need a good attorney 1
Cuckold 1 hr Lex Steele 10
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Limbertwig 146,291
Factory temp job services 2 hr big dog 11
best place for wedding and reception? 4 hr Wayne Maggard 3
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 hr Ashby 26,189
Women in Hardin Co 6 hr knows 8
meijer store (Oct '10) 11 hr Peanut gallery 104
•••
•••
•••
•••

Elizabethtown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000