Is Empire Beauty School a good school?

Posted in the Elizabethtown Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
WONDERING

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Nov 26, 2010
I was thinking about signing up dose anyone know anything about it?
been there

Milton, FL

#2 Nov 28, 2010
The last two classes that graduated from there ALL failed state boards....that school sucks. I went there, I transfered. It's big, new, and pretty. That's the only good things I can say about it. All they care about is money. Do yourself a favor and go to the other school, you'll learn more.

Since: Nov 10

Orland Park, IL

#3 Nov 29, 2010
I also went to Empire from Dec 09 to March of 2010, Hated it.. I transferred over to Trendsetters and was alot happier. Would still be there if I had not moved out of state.
been there

Milton, FL

#4 Nov 30, 2010
over half of the students at trendsetters are transfers from empire....that should say something
hate both

Glasgow, KY

#5 Feb 16, 2011
both schools suck! go to a louisville or bowling green school TRUST ME!
Baboo lady

Marcus Hook, PA

#6 May 24, 2011
in new york school alot of the staff does not care about you ,and one teacher there I feel was hurtful and abusive to me.
Samm

United States

#7 May 24, 2011
Although every person I have had cut my hair that graduated and works at a salon in town the ones from empire do best. I had one girl that graduated from trend setters and she messed my hair and my 2 sisters hair up. And we all three had our cut differently.
Plus in my opinion empire is a better school as a customer of both.
wow

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 May 24, 2011
i don't really know anything about empire but i know trendsetters is horrible!
ooookkkk

Lubbock, TX

#9 May 24, 2011
Thanks for the advice I was thinking of enrolling at empire.
Jen

Palm Harbor, FL

#10 May 24, 2011
I've heard that it costs pretty much the same to go to beauty school as it does to go to college and get an associates or maybe even bachelors degree. Is this true? And not to be a bitch but if it is true, why would you pay that much to learn how to cut hair? why not get a real education that would let you do more than hair? I just have a hard time understanding that and I really dont mean to offend anyone.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#12 May 24, 2011
Jen wrote:
I've heard that it costs pretty much the same to go to beauty school as it does to go to college and get an associates or maybe even bachelors degree. Is this true? And not to be a bitch but if it is true, why would you pay that much to learn how to cut hair? why not get a real education that would let you do more than hair? I just have a hard time understanding that and I really dont mean to offend anyone.
Obviously you don't know what you can do with a cosmetologist degree/ liscense if your good and want more then cutting hair, you can be a cosmetologist, nail tech, skin care specialist, work in a dermatologist office or plastic surgeon office doing dermabrasion, Botox injections, you can make major bucks in upscale salons and spas, you can be beauty teachers/ instructors, color specialists, professional makeup artists, the possibilities are endless and you can finish school in less than 15 months even going parttime. So it's a lot more fun then some boring everyday business job. empire is nice because it's new but there students never pass boards and end up transferring to trendsetters to actually learn stuff, trendsetter is pretty old and ran down but they give u one on one teaching and small classes so you actually learn if you have the goals and desire you need.
Jen

Palm Harbor, FL

#13 May 24, 2011
Wonderwomen wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you don't know what you can do with a cosmetologist degree/ liscense if your good and want more then cutting hair, you can be a cosmetologist, nail tech, skin care specialist, work in a dermatologist office or plastic surgeon office doing dermabrasion, Botox injections, you can make major bucks in upscale salons and spas, you can be beauty teachers/ instructors, color specialists, professional makeup artists, the possibilities are endless and you can finish school in less than 15 months even going parttime. So it's a lot more fun then some boring everyday business job. empire is nice because it's new but there students never pass boards and end up transferring to trendsetters to actually learn stuff, trendsetter is pretty old and ran down but they give u one on one teaching and small classes so you actually learn if you have the goals and desire you need.
I dont mean to be arguementative but I would bet the percentage of beauty school graduates who end up in a plastic surgeons office or other high paying high benefits job is pretty low, most people are going to end up paying student loans in the same amount they would getting a real degree to work at the hair salon in walmart. or the mall, or a supercuts or whatever. Even if they do nails (which I doubt since everywhere I can find to get my nails done only people of a certain asian heritage are working there) they are really not making as much money as they would be if they had a real education. I'm not saying no one should cut hair because my stylist is fabulous and I couldnt live without the awesome job he does but I dont think that beauty school or "cosmetology" classes should cost nearly as much as an actual degree.
yeah right Jen

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 May 24, 2011
uh, Jen...it's one of few careers where you make your own schedule, get paid cash, and have the potential to make a few hundred bucks in a matter of hours. if you have enough customers, you can buy a personal insurance plan & start a retirement fund JUST WITH TIPS so...your argument is invalid. there are plenty of people with degrees who can't find jobs
Jen

Palm Harbor, FL

#15 May 24, 2011
yeah right Jen wrote:
uh, Jen...it's one of few careers where you make your own schedule, get paid cash, and have the potential to make a few hundred bucks in a matter of hours. if you have enough customers, you can buy a personal insurance plan & start a retirement fund JUST WITH TIPS so...your argument is invalid. there are plenty of people with degrees who can't find jobs
Hey you are entitled to your opinion but my money would be on an actual education instead of majoring in hair and paying the same amount of money. If the tuiton was a lot lower it would be understandable to me but for that kind of money... go to a real school. But thats just my opinion, if you want to pay that kind of money to spend your life cutting hair thats your business, I was just wondering why it costs so much.
smarten up Jen

Elizabethtown, KY

#16 May 24, 2011
i haven't stated any opinions, these are facts. a good beautician can make $50,000 a year or more. if the beautician owns the shop and has several booths rented out, bump that up to $75,000. 10% of people with college degrees are unemployed. and it is a real school, with real tuition, which comes from real money, real grants, or real loans. which can lead to a real career, making real money.

now do you understand why it costs so much?
Jen

Palm Harbor, FL

#17 May 24, 2011
smarten up Jen wrote:
i haven't stated any opinions, these are facts. a good beautician can make $50,000 a year or more. if the beautician owns the shop and has several booths rented out, bump that up to $75,000. 10% of people with college degrees are unemployed. and it is a real school, with real tuition, which comes from real money, real grants, or real loans. which can lead to a real career, making real money.
now do you understand why it costs so much?
A good beautician can make that kind of money with their own shop etc... I agree. But the amount of people graduating beauty school who ACTUALLY make that kind of money is extremely low. Most hairdressers are low to mid income and thats a fact. Most people with a bachelors degree are middle class. Google it. I am not saying no one should go to these classes, I am saying they shouldnt cost as much as a quality education with a real degree. And there are plenty of unemployed people who have graduated from beauty programs also.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#18 May 25, 2011
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>A good beautician can make that kind of money with their own shop etc... I agree. But the amount of people graduating beauty school who ACTUALLY make that kind of money is extremely low. Most hairdressers are low to mid income and thats a fact. Most people with a bachelors degree are middle class. Google it. I am not saying no one should go to these classes, I am saying they shouldnt cost as much as a quality education with a real degree. And there are plenty of unemployed people who have graduated from beauty programs also.
There are plenty of people unemployed with "real degrees" which by the way a cosmetology degree us real and worth what the graduate makes of it
Contemplating

Scituate, MA

#19 May 30, 2011
Hi, I was just reading the comments because I actually was thinking of putting my bachelors on hold (I'm about half way through it) and going to Empire for a hairdressing license, and working in the field while I finish my Bachelors degree. I just love hair, and I love education. Unsure about my major (Psychology, Biology or Earth Science), but I definitely think everyone should have a bachelor's degree. Has anyone done this? or have any recommendations?
trendsetter student

Gallatin, TN

#20 May 31, 2011
I love my school, everybody who comes from the orther cant do hair when they tranfer, most cant cut, sum dnt know how to color, most of the transfer student who come to trend setter from the orther school have more hour than me and i still know more!!!!!!!!!!
Stylist-Owner

Lexington, KY

#21 May 31, 2011
Jen, I chose to go to "Beauty School" 27 years ago & I got my "degree". I own the building that houses my salon & 2 other business. These businesses pay rent to this "Cosmetologist". My "degree" had some business management classes which taught us how to run a successful salon. I attend classes regularly to keep my salon up with the latest trends. I am sorry to inform you that my salon is not one of the low income "beauty salons" that you frown on. I hope your stylist never finds out that you feel superior to all Cosmetologists, or your next cut might not be so fab!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hot girl at Target 52 min Kev r 45
Happy Ending Massages 58 min Creepy carl 4
michael daniel (Oct '13) 1 hr Angel 23
m. brown busted!! 3 hr makayla 5
Andrew Grayy 11 hr Ash 4
Least judgmental and hypocritical church in Etown 13 hr difference 29
pin oak acquisitions (May '10) 14 hr Just trying to help 123
More from around the web

Elizabethtown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]