First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lol

Casey, IL

#21 Nov 2, 2012
Great 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Elaina Janes does "pinterest"shots. And if you're gonna dog Alexis, at least spell her name right!! She does an amazing job! I wouldn't send a person to anyone but her! She has a great eye and does a fantastic job!
Sounds to me like some people are just jealous. And no EVERY stay at home mom with a camera does not think she is a photographer. There are a lot of people that just pick up a camera and think they are a photographer. I was a photographer BEFORE I became a stay at home mom- so go suck on a fat one. There is a difference in taking a picture and taking a portrait. Learn something.
Who cares how her name is spelled? She along with many many others lacks skill. You may have some personal attachment to this person but I do not. Part of the problem is that terrible work gets a cheering section of friends and family. How many times have you seen a mediocre photo posted online and then the comments roll in telling the person they have found their calling? They need to be a professional! If the person who started this thread thinks she is great them they can hire her but they asked for opinions. I'm not commenting on personal character, but skill. Consumers are allowed to review businesses. These other comments were doing just that.
Truth

Elizabethtown, KY

#22 Nov 2, 2012
hash wrote:
hey Crazy got f*ck ur self. brandi does it cheaper then most cause she enjoys taking pics. its not a job to her. have u ever had her do work for u? my guess is no. so where to u get off saying she does bad work.
Excuse me? It is not a job to her? If she is taking money for pics then she is operating a business but my guess is that she isn't paying taxes. How about a call to the IRS or Kentucky Revenue Cabinet to let them know that she does this "cause she enjoys taking pics." She is not collecting sales tax. I would bet on it. Lots of people enjoy taking photographs but that does not mean that they open up shop and start taking money from clients. The public has the right to expect a business to be legitimate. I get off saying she does shit work because all you have to do is look at her photos. Like someone else said she is a fauxtog.
Mandy

United States

#23 Nov 2, 2012
Amanda Clark Photography
Funny

Lexington, KY

#24 Nov 2, 2012
This is all funny to me... I have looked at these people's photos and none of them are bad. Just all of them have different styles.. Some of you are bashing on Alexis but yet I think they are very good. They have a country feel, some people don't like that. As to where I look at Brianna Bird and hers are good to but they are very ventage. For me I would not go with the ventage feel... Elaina janes are good but she uses a lot I props which I think takes away from the picture. It just all depends on what you like. So don't talk sh*t just because something doesn't fit your style...
really

Elizabethtown, KY

#25 Nov 2, 2012
so those of you bashing these girls for doing something they love and making some side money on, can we take a look at your professional portfolio?
garnet

Elizabethtown, KY

#26 Nov 3, 2012
Great 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Elaina Janes does "pinterest"shots. And if you're gonna dog Alexis, at least spell her name right!! She does an amazing job! I wouldn't send a person to anyone but her! She has a great eye and does a fantastic job!
Sounds to me like some people are just jealous. And no EVERY stay at home mom with a camera does not think she is a photographer. There are a lot of people that just pick up a camera and think they are a photographer. I was a photographer BEFORE I became a stay at home mom- so go suck on a fat one. There is a difference in taking a picture and taking a portrait. Learn something.
Okay, not every stay at home mom with a digital camera is a photographer. But every one in this area that calls themselves a photographer are either stay at home moms or dads or kids who have dropped out of college that charge for taking pictures so they can call themselves professionals. If you are old enough to remember the days of film cameras, photographers weren't stay at home moms trying to make a little extra cash taking poorly exposed and photoshopped pictures. You actually had to have some intelligence to be a l photographer. And I still don't understand why you can't have a conversation or an argument without putting something nasty in the content. How much intelligence does that show?
Friend

United States

#27 Nov 3, 2012
Alexis has no kids, works a full time job, and is a full time college student.And her pictures are good. Just sayin. So stop talking sh:t.
But

Elizabethtown, KY

#28 Nov 4, 2012
Friend wrote:
Alexis has no kids, works a full time job, and is a full time college student.And her pictures are good. Just sayin. So stop talking sh:t.
I have read all of these posts.

I admire you trying to stick up for your friend but this isn't just about her but about hundreds of "photographers" in this area. It doesn't seem like anyone is picking on this girl. She advertises that she operates a business and her services and products are open to review by consumers.

There have been some generalizations made about who is over-saturating the photography market and most of the time the finger gets pointed at the moms with cameras. Anyone with a brain can see that isn't always the case.

What makes a good photograph may be open to some interpretation but there are basic elements according to those who have studied art. There are many sites that will explain what makes a good photograph, & yes these rules apply to "portraits" as well. Now according to these guidelines her photographs along with many other people's are not "good".

When having a photograph taken I expect good lighting, composition, flattering poses, non distracting backgrounds, emotional connection in the image and the use of good photoshop skills for light touch ups without making me look like an alien or an over-processed freak. Why do I expect these things? Because I did "learn something" and I have studied art.

I have a friend who is a photographer and I have read into some of the pros verses "amateurs who open up shop just because they love taking photos and have a new digital camera" debate. Suddenly photography is everyone's passion.

My biggest concern is that photographers are representing that they operate a "business" but fail to collect sales tax, pay local taxes, carry insurance and report income to the IRS. They have subpar equipment, subpar skills and provide a mediocre product at best. Consumer's, being uneducated, settle for the inferior product. They trust precious moments in time to those who can't step up to the plate and deliver what they should. This is so closely related to why people hate illegal immigrants. They are able to offer cheaper services and products because they bypass the rules and regulations of operating a legitimate business. It puts the real professionals out of business. Clients end up with shitty images, the photographers end up making less than minimum wage but they do not care because they have a full time job and just need a little "side money" as some have called it.

It is a tough time for true photographers but many like my friend are able to offer such a great product that the demand for their work surpasses the BS these fly by night "pros" offer. Hopefully that continues to be more common that not and these "fauxtographers" close their doors.
Alea

Hendersonville, TN

#29 Nov 4, 2012
hash wrote:
hey Crazy got f*ck ur self. brandi does it cheaper then most cause she enjoys taking pics. its not a job to her. have u ever had her do work for u? my guess is no. so where to u get off saying she does bad work.
It's obvious by the look of her photos. her work is speaking for its self. that's just the thing, she shouldn't be claiming to be a photographer if it is not her job. it may be a hobby of hers, but just because it's a hobby doesnt mean she should be offering her services to other people when there are other photographers out there that actually work every day to strive to be amazing. im not a photographer myself but someone in my family is. so i think i have a clue.
Wondering

Elizabethtown, KY

#30 Nov 5, 2012
For my family its wrote:
<quoted text>Brianna bird
I thought some of her stuff was decent and then what happened? The last photos she posted on Facebook are awful! But upon looking it is like night and day all through her stuff. They are out of focus, over edited, poorly lit and crap and then bam there is one or two good ones. The picture advertising for Halloween photos is better than the actual pics she took there.

Is there more than one photographer or just her? No consistencey.
Ted

Elizabethtown, KY

#32 Nov 5, 2012
Check and see if any of these people have done weddings and then check out the pictures. That will tell you whether they are truly a professional photographer who knows what they are doing or not.
Soul Gaze Photography

Glasgow, KY

#33 Nov 6, 2012
I'm located in Glasgow, KY, but I do travel. I provide photography + writing & design. I work with your budget. All prints have a 30-day guarantee, no expensive required packages. You only purchase what you want with a wide variety of unique products. I also sell my personal work which makes great gifts! Learn more:
soulgazephotography.com
OR
facebook.com/soulgazephotography
Take them OFF

Rineyville, KY

#34 Nov 7, 2012
Stop and take a look at some of this work you are recommending. It is not good!!!

I can't expect everyone to have an eye for artistic value but come on.

My advice to the first poster is to take a look at this site.

http://www.takeoffyourmommygoggles.com/consum...
HUH

Elizabethtown, KY

#35 Nov 8, 2012
Great 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is it that you want us to learn? A portrait is defined as a likeness of a person and in the case of photography it would be a photograph of a person. I believe that would also be referred to as a "picture".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Large Pitbull Found 1 hr Tan with white spots 1
Kenyon thomas? 1 hr Hahaha 13
Does that make you feel better 3 hr dreambig 7
Judge M Brent Hall, Addington, Hardin Co. Famil... (Jun '13) 3 hr dadda 151
Pics 3 hr paintball 3
Helicopter vine grove 3 hr Cairo 2
Black girl looking for white bf , trade pic . (Oct '12) 3 hr Cairo 38

Elizabethtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance