No Military Discount & Why
good golly

Elizabethtown, KY

#24 Dec 6, 2012
handymanIII wrote:
<quoted text>I don't expect nothing except what congress and the past presidents promised me every time I signed a reeenlistment contract, however upon retirememnt they cut those benefits every year. You did not answer my question? Did you ever work in your life and if so what did you do? You sound like you are older than dirt and have lived in radcliff all your life. With your hatred of the military why didn't you move?
worked hard long hours to keep my family farm. i don't get benefits, schooling, etc. i don't have security. i do have morals and would never say something like piss on your grave and hope you die. you are much like the lowlifes i was talking about. after the draft the only ones that went in were ones that couldn't fit in society and have a regular job hire. military went down then all seemed to be entitled. soldiers were drunk on the streets and passed out at one time and you had to step over them. now that's the life i want my family to be subjected to when i bring them to town. radcliff has never really been a part of the county. it's a suburb of fort knox. you have a good life and try not to expect the government to take care of you. oh wait. px privileges? ireland army? and the list goes on.
Hypocrite

United States

#25 Dec 6, 2012
God bless our military. I'll bet if Jesus was here he would join the army.
Vet nonetheless

Shepherdsville, KY

#26 Dec 6, 2012
I think it's ridiculous that the ID card of a DOD employee or their dependents, who works on post entitles them the right to use military facilities such as the commissary or PX or hospital. While as an honorably discharged veteran, though not retired military (<20 yrs) is not entitled access to any of these services. Someone who never chose to serve even one day on active duty or reserve or national guard should be entitled to no military services whatsoever.

“No One Lives Forever”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#27 Dec 6, 2012
Giving a discount to the military is optional on the part of the employer/business. My personal opinion is I value our men and women that have signed up to protect our homeland and therefore believe a small sign of appreciation should be delivered to them as you never know at any moment what will happen in this world of ours. You can not put EMS/Fire Fighters in the same category as military as they do not get a call from the government in the middle of the night saying -you are being deployed kiss your children goodbye and get on a plane now. The military people we have live every day always wondering if they will get this call. Some even after retirement.

I don't think every place should give a discount. But places where they buy things to help support themselves and their families should. Places like a grocery store. restaurants and movies though are luxury items and those places are not needed as a means of living.
The Point

United States

#28 Dec 6, 2012
Vet nonetheless wrote:
I think it's ridiculous that the ID card of a DOD employee or their dependents, who works on post entitles them the right to use military facilities such as the commissary or PX or hospital. While as an honorably discharged veteran, though not retired military (<20 yrs) is not entitled access to any of these services. Someone who never chose to serve even one day on active duty or reserve or national guard should be entitled to no military services whatsoever.
I don't get the distinction. They're all DOD employees and, like all organizations, some employees get benefits, some don't. You work somewhere 5 years, you get vested in options, less than 5, you don't. Whether you wear a tie or boots isn't a consideration.

And military discounts are just marketing, like a coupon. If I can get more people in this way, it's cheaper marketing so I can afford to sell for a cheaper price. If I don't need it to get people in the door, I'll keep the extra profit. It's business, not patriotism.

“No One Lives Forever”

Location hidden

#29 Dec 6, 2012
everything in supply/demand is all about profits and how to make them. If a company has to loose 10% on a sale just to get ten additional customers into their doors..yes they will do it. Our USA was built according to supply and demand. without it we would not have an economy. And therefore we would not have any reason to work but also no way to provide for ourselves either.

this isn't Star Wars and there is no replicator machine
JustSayin

Englewood, CO

#30 Dec 6, 2012
jrh wrote:
to mr hitchens back in my days we called people like you a draft dodger
He is correct. The money should go to education.. No bonus for vets.. and every business should give military discounts..
A Local

United States

#31 Dec 6, 2012
CCR wrote:
I support the troops... But I agree the military is made up of volunteers. I find it frustrating when people join the reserves or national guard in order to go to college for free, then their unit is activated. They complain they are having to serve when that's what they signed up for. I've lived and been involved with the military my entire life. I appreciate the sacrifices made and honor them. However, just because someone has CHOSEN to serve doesn't mean they should demand a pat on the back. I tried thanking a sailor in downtown Nashville a few weeks back and he completely blew me off and wouldn't even acknowledge me. It was frustrating but yet I understand. Being a public servant myself I don't expect to be thanked and given discounts. When I am thanked or given discounts I appreciate it more.
So you were too lazy or scared to protect your country and risk your life and if anyone else gets a discount that you do not you think it's wrong? This you'll 'stand up' and fight for? And being a 'public servant' is a total cop-out. No one is overpaid more than those who work for the government (non-military). They should charge you more for every purchase.
You're pathetic.
confused

Portsmouth, VA

#32 Dec 6, 2012
shame shame
military wife

Elizabethtown, KY

#33 Dec 6, 2012
Just a bunch of ungrateful scum from Etown sitting in your house on your computer disrespecting the military. all the while knowing that without the guys who volunteer it would be you out there. maybe you tried to get in and they turned you down cause you were too fat or dumb or both. How would you do spending a year away from your family or children? My guess is you pussy's would be out there on the front line shitting your pants wishing you were back at home bad mouthing people on your computer. Keep hiding behind your computer and don't worry about anything because you're protected by real men and women.
nasty

Elizabethtown, KY

#34 Dec 6, 2012
military wife wrote:
Just a bunch of ungrateful scum from Etown sitting in your house on your computer disrespecting the military. all the while knowing that without the guys who volunteer it would be you out there. maybe you tried to get in and they turned you down cause you were too fat or dumb or both. How would you do spending a year away from your family or children? My guess is you pussy's would be out there on the front line shitting your pants wishing you were back at home bad mouthing people on your computer. Keep hiding behind your computer and don't worry about anything because you're protected by real men and women.
your mouth is one reason I don't like anything to do with the military. potty mouth with wifey and kids, too. nasty. trashy. but always wanting people to hold them in high esteem and respect them. nasty.

“No One Lives Forever”

Location hidden

#35 Dec 6, 2012
nasty wrote:
<quoted text>
your mouth is one reason I don't like anything to do with the military. potty mouth with wifey and kids, too. nasty. trashy. but always wanting people to hold them in high esteem and respect them. nasty.
I have a high regard for our military/enlisted men and women. They have at least taken the step forward to do something more than live off welfare with their lives. now if you want to talk trashy and nasty then point your fingers at 80% of those on welfare who think their shit don't stink., use our hard earned dollars to buy their Meth chemicals.,and eat steak with food stamps., and use their high dollar phones to make their contacts. do not knock the military., one day you may be grateful they just saved your ass and your family.
handymanIII

Cecilia, KY

#36 Dec 6, 2012
good golly wrote:
<quoted text>
worked hard long hours to keep my family farm. i don't get benefits, schooling, etc. i don't have security. i do have morals and would never say something like piss on your grave and hope you die. you are much like the lowlifes i was talking about. after the draft the only ones that went in were ones that couldn't fit in society and have a regular job hire. military went down then all seemed to be entitled. soldiers were drunk on the streets and passed out at one time and you had to step over them. now that's the life i want my family to be subjected to when i bring them to town. radcliff has never really been a part of the county. it's a suburb of fort knox. you have a good life and try not to expect the government to take care of you. oh wait. px privileges? ireland army? and the list goes on.
You are just a bitter old fart and I have lived here since 1989 with the exception of two years and have never had to step over a drunken soldier anywhere. So because i went in is because I couldn't fit in society? I guess you think you are better than me. As far as you getting benefits that's your fault not mine. theopportunity was there for you as well. Like I said you are just a bitter old fart who wants to blame everyone who made something out of their life for your ineptness. You'll get no sympathy from me you old slob.
I have a question

Elizabethtown, KY

#37 Dec 6, 2012
handymanIII wrote:
<quoted text>You are just a bitter old fart and I have lived here since 1989 with the exception of two years and have never had to step over a drunken soldier anywhere. So because i went in is because I couldn't fit in society? I guess you think you are better than me. As far as you getting benefits that's your fault not mine. theopportunity was there for you as well. Like I said you are just a bitter old fart who wants to blame everyone who made something out of their life for your ineptness. You'll get no sympathy from me you old slob.
I've been reading this thread and wonder actually where you came from in 1989 and why you decided to settle here. A lot of people retire here for benefits from Fort Knox on post. They like the small town atmosphere and the PX and the Hospital.
There I Said It

Louisville, KY

#38 Dec 6, 2012
Not trying but will be disrespectful here. Why in Hades would anyone with a brain enlist in the military anyway?
Hypocrite

United States

#39 Dec 6, 2012
laFemmeNikita wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a high regard for our military/enlisted men and women. They have at least taken the step forward to do something more than live off welfare with their lives. now if you want to talk trashy and nasty then point your fingers at 80% of those on welfare who think their shit don't stink., use our hard earned dollars to buy their Meth chemicals.,and eat steak with food stamps., and use their high dollar phones to make their contacts. do not knock the military., one day you may be grateful they just saved your ass and your family.
Yes, murdering children in the middle east is very productive. The military has killed 25 million people since WW2... Well done. Violence is always the best solution.
military wife

Elizabethtown, KY

#40 Dec 6, 2012
nasty wrote:
<quoted text>your mouth is one reason I don't like anything to do with the military. potty mouth with wifey and kids, too. nasty. trashy. but always wanting people to hold them in high esteem and respect them. nasty.
You don't like anything to do with the military because they're better than you. And as far as my mouth you're right I shouldn't stoop down to your level. I have a college degree and I can tell by your post you're probably still in high school. Don't talk about things that you know nothing about. But I guess you picked the right name for yourself "nasty"
Mr Big

Ekron, KY

#41 Dec 6, 2012
Hey, "Good Golly": You want to go back to the 40s? Why, so you can whup up on the black folks?
cheapens the experience

Louisville, KY

#42 Dec 6, 2012
When you ask for a discount you look like a low-life!
handymanIII

Cecilia, KY

#43 Dec 6, 2012
I frequent alot of businesses that do not offer miltary discounts, but I swear I can't believe how many people in this area that make money off the men and women on Fort Knox get on here and abuse them for being soldiers. I feel sorry for you people who don't know what it's like to miss holidays away from family, spending nights in the cold without heat or food in your stomach. Yes we volunteer and are proud of it. We don't bash you for not joining but we put our lives on the line every day so you can enjoy what you have, and we are glad to do it. Some of you must have been hippies in the late 60's the way you bash. I joined to get out of poverty out of the Appalachian Mountains right out of high school. If I hadn't I would probobly be struggling like most people there. It was the best move I could make because I couldn't go to college because we didn't have the programs available today. So go ahead and continue to bash the military because I know damn well that most of you in some shape or form make money off them. If you do have a business and are bashing on here please let me know so I can direct my money elsewhere. That way you won't see me and I won't see you, especially you Good Golly, and you can channel your hatred elsewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where were you 41 min What would jeebus do 4
News 3 men wanted in home invasion, murder (Jun '14) 1 hr TruthBTold 49
Who's the biggest meth dealer in Hardin co 9 hr yup 8
shannon yonts (Feb '12) 12 hr Lol 20
Cute Girl at the Kawasaki Shop 15 hr Soulmates 8
Destinie jupin 15 hr Lol 3
Hmh Mon Bahahaha 1

Elizabethtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance