No Military Discount & Why

Posted in the Elizabethtown Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Vet4Life

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Dec 5, 2012
There are alot of places is this are that dont offer military discounts but rely heavily on military. Please feel free to list places you know who dont give military discounts and how you feel about it!

“Turn your ****ing brain on”

Since: Feb 11

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Dec 5, 2012
I'm glad that businesses don't offer military discounts.

I think it's outrageous that Hardin County Schools gives a bonus to ex members of the military when employing them. That money should be used to provide education for the students, not kissing the ass of the military.

Since: May 12

Elizabethtown

#3 Dec 5, 2012
Christopher Hitchens wrote:
I'm glad that businesses don't offer military discounts.

I think it's outrageous that Hardin County Schools gives a bonus to ex members of the military when employing them. That money should be used to provide education for the students, not kissing the ass of the military.
While I agree with the second part (if its true), I think it is nice for businesses to offer a discount to active military
jrh

Columbia, KY

#4 Dec 5, 2012
to mr hitchens back in my days we called people like you a draft dodger
CCR

United States

#6 Dec 5, 2012
I've worked for businesses and organizations that honor our military. I personally feel vets should be honored for serving, however what I don't like is the cocky vet who feels I should bow down to them or I owe them something when myself and the rest of my family are ALL connected to the military. I've seen it more so with military spouses

As regards to businesses who don't offer military discounts its sometimes not up to the store manager. It's more of a corporate matter. For some reason some places do and some places don't. Although alot of places offer vets discounts during veterans and Memorial Day.
Bill

Louisville, KY

#7 Dec 5, 2012
My corporate honored the veterans for around 25 days last month. We gave them a discount on several items. It was exclusive as they had to show proof they were either active or retired military. The rest of the year active military will come in and request a discount but we thank them for their service and tell them the discount for them is again around Veterans Day. Our business is in Louisville. If we had a business in E-Town I could understand the discount requests being more frequent.
Probably

Mammoth Cave, KY

#8 Dec 5, 2012
I come from a military family and proud of it but I don't see why they should get a discount. No one asked them to join the military. They aren't being forced to stay there. I'm proud to know military people, but they do not deserve any more than I do.
Yankee

Elizabethtown, KY

#9 Dec 5, 2012
Dear James and Christopher...
Feel free to take that soldier's place on the front line while he is being shot at protecting your freedom. Out of respect, a measly few dollars discount is at the least what a veteran deserves...
probably not

Louisville, KY

#10 Dec 5, 2012
Actually they probably were asked to join ... By a recruiter. And yes they are forced to stay in until their enlistment is up. They can't simply quit.

I don't like it when vets expect a discount though.
Yankee

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Dec 5, 2012
They don't expect a discount or for everyone to kiss their ass everywhere they go. But it is a pleasant surprise when they are shown respect or told they get a discount for serving our country.
As for all those wonderful benefits, lol... You don't know the military that well. You have to jump through hoops to get close to those benefits, if you qualify at all.
I'm not saying you are a coward for not serving this country, just please have a little respect for those who have...
good golly

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Dec 5, 2012
i get so tired of military this and military that. when i heard fort knox was closing i wanted to have a party. and then damned if they didn't ship some of it down south and brought in another mess to have to deal with. just close the f'n place and be done and let us get back to the way it was before the 40's. i have seen nothing but trouble every since military moved in. they try to take over and they try to "command" you and your town the way they are on post.

“Turn your ****ing brain on”

Since: Feb 11

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Dec 5, 2012
Yankee wrote:
Dear James and Christopher...
Feel free to take that soldier's place on the front line while he is being shot at protecting your freedom. Out of respect, a measly few dollars discount is at the least what a veteran deserves...
Not all of the military even go near the front line.

I'd like to meet all the members of the military who actually are in the military to "protect my freedom". I don't think many of them are in for that. I think the vast majority are in it simply because it provides the best employment and career prospects available to them.

Especially in this area, if a business does give military discounts then the business will have to charge other people more just to cover for the discounts. IMO the military are no more deserving than nurses, doctors, cops, firemen/women, teachers etc. I think they certainly feel much more entitled than those other groups though.
CCR

United States

#15 Dec 5, 2012
I support the troops... But I agree the military is made up of volunteers. I find it frustrating when people join the reserves or national guard in order to go to college for free, then their unit is activated. They complain they are having to serve when that's what they signed up for. I've lived and been involved with the military my entire life. I appreciate the sacrifices made and honor them. However, just because someone has CHOSEN to serve doesn't mean they should demand a pat on the back. I tried thanking a sailor in downtown Nashville a few weeks back and he completely blew me off and wouldn't even acknowledge me. It was frustrating but yet I understand. Being a public servant myself I don't expect to be thanked and given discounts. When I am thanked or given discounts I appreciate it more.
Yankee

Elizabethtown, KY

#16 Dec 5, 2012
Not all vets are the disrespectful pricks or fobbits you speak of... There's plenty of veterans out there that deserve respect and I will always give it to them. That is my opinion... All gave some, some gave all.
handymanIII

Cecilia, KY

#17 Dec 5, 2012
good golly wrote:
i get so tired of military this and military that. when i heard fort knox was closing i wanted to have a party. and then damned if they didn't ship some of it down south and brought in another mess to have to deal with. just close the f'n place and be done and let us get back to the way it was before the 40's. i have seen nothing but trouble every since military moved in. they try to take over and they try to "command" you and your town the way they are on post.
I wish I knew your real name so I could come piss on your grave you Nazi bastard! I am retired Army and evidently you washed out or didn't have the intestinal fortitude to man up and join in defending this country. What do you do for a living? Probobly nothing, but if you did have a job in Radcliff I bet you made money indirectly off of soldiers. Why the hell didn't you move to....like Cuba? No one in the military has ever commanded you how to live. They might have knocked your lips shut a time or two to give you an attitude adjustment, but no one has dictated you on how to live from Fort Knox, so shut up and die already you miserable piece of scum!
handymanIII

Cecilia, KY

#18 Dec 5, 2012
James wrote:
<quoted text>
If corporate says no discount what would you suggest I do? Many years ago Nixon made it a volunteer military. Now you are attempting to make us look like cowards because we chose not to enlist? The military gets numerous fringe benefits (college, housing, employment) once they get out. They deserve it but don't criticize the majority of us who did not participate. We are keeping the economy going so our taxes can pay for the entire mess.
We have to pay a portion for college-it isn't free, and we give up pay allowance to live in housing, and we have to get our own jobs when we get out. I am a retired veteran and every year we lose more benefits due to congress cutting them out. Right now I must pay for health and dental insurance that was once free. There are numerous companies that have far better retirement benefits than the Army, so befor you go spouting off about stuff you don't know talk to a veteran or soldier. And another thing-soldiers get taxed too, so that helps the economy or are you blind to that too?You never served so what do you know?
Vet4Life

Elizabethtown, KY

#19 Dec 5, 2012
Seems to be alot of un-thankful people. Military is not like other jobs, you cant just quut or leave when you want. Other jobs cant call you back in if you are needed. Make you leave your family for extended periods. This area would be deserted with just crappy business if it wasnt for FT. Knox and less jobs for you un-grateful folks!!
good golly

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Dec 5, 2012
blah, blah, blah. All talk. All demanding. All needy. All expecting. All whiny. Blah, blah, blah.
Probably

Elizabethtown, KY

#22 Dec 6, 2012
probably not wrote:
Actually they probably were asked to join ... By a recruiter. And yes they are forced to stay in until their enlistment is up. They can't simply quit.
I don't like it when vets expect a discount though.
My brother wasn't asked. He came home and told the family he had went and checked to see about enlisting. My father was military but he never urged any of us to go. My brother served 26 years but wasn't forced to serve that long. He kept re-enlisting because he kept getting bonuses and free education and money for housing. His family was well taken care of. The military gives you everything you need.
handymanIII

Cecilia, KY

#23 Dec 6, 2012
good golly wrote:
blah, blah, blah. All talk. All demanding. All needy. All expecting. All whiny. Blah, blah, blah.
I don't expect nothing except what congress and the past presidents promised me every time I signed a reeenlistment contract, however upon retirememnt they cut those benefits every year. You did not answer my question? Did you ever work in your life and if so what did you do? You sound like you are older than dirt and have lived in radcliff all your life. With your hatred of the military why didn't you move?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OpenTable Has Elizabethtown [email protected]@TERS Location on... 55 min Edna B 12
dentist who takes medical card .. (Sep '11) 1 hr Eliza 74 24
Online Yard Sale (Aug '11) 1 hr Peppermint 15
Jerry Williams in Elizabethtown / Cecilia 2 hr Yahooooo 5
Lincoln Trail & East Hardin Schools 3 hr Concerned 1
I miss my old life 7 hr Lostinspace9 48
tall guy in hydro 7 hr hottie needed 4

Elizabethtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabethtown Mortgages