First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 11

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Sep 26, 2011
Does anyone else smell a horrible musky smell from akebono. I know its from there because i smell it when im near there and i have been in public twice at two seperate places and smelled the same smell. Both times i was near an akebono employee. Anybody know what that smell is?
Yaybow

Vine Grove, KY

#2 Sep 26, 2011
Pretty sure it's from the brakes that they make.
John

Summer Shade, KY

#3 Sep 26, 2011
It's from the brakes and coolant they use to make the brakes. All Companies have funny smells to the public. People who work there are use to it. Someone who doesn't notices it.
Ever smell someone who worked at Gates when it was around? Guees what, they smelt like rubber? Go figure. Ever smell someone who works on a hog farm. They smell like hog poop. Get the picture?
wife of worker

Gallatin, TN

#4 Sep 26, 2011
I used to complain about that smell all the time when my hubby first started, now rarely do I ever smell it. And when I do it isnt as bothersome as it was a long time ago.
problem

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Sep 27, 2011
can't be good. smelling too much of anything that lingers might not be good for you. down the road, there might be health problems.
OhWell

Lexington, KY

#6 Sep 27, 2011
problem wrote:
can't be good. smelling too much of anything that lingers might not be good for you. down the road, there might be health problems.
I agree, but considering how long it has been going on for I doubt anything can be done about it. Just breathe and hope for the best.

United States

#7 Sep 27, 2011
I am sure that the epa or whoever maked sure that there is not "significant" health risks, but what about those who live near the plant and can not even have people over for a cookout because the air reeks of musky moldy odor. And what about those with asthma, surely that strong of a smell can cause issues. When i called them they told me there was no smell and to call the city. As if they will get involved with all that tax revenue.

United States

#8 Sep 27, 2011
wife of worker wrote:
I used to complain about that smell all the time when my hubby first started, now rarely do I ever smell it. And when I do it isnt as bothersome as it was a long time ago.
Did you just get used to it? What causes the odor?
Anonymous

Centerville, TX

#9 Sep 27, 2011
Bromyk wrote:
I am sure that the epa
The EPA only protects the environment from small time things because small-time paychecks aren't enough for neither a lawyer nor a bribe.

Tomball, TX

#10 Sep 27, 2011
I just found another post from oct 2010 where dabby was complaining about the same smell. Surely there are other area residents or employees that know what im saying.
Old Brake Guy

Glasgow, KY

#11 Sep 27, 2011
The smell that you are referring to is from the "scorching" or baking of the brake pad materials, during the forming and curing process.
It's the intense heat and constant pressure that makes a brake pad very hard and durable.
I agree that the smell is a bit unusual, it is nothing to be concerned about. there are numerous, air quality checks that take place on a very regular basis.
I've noticed that the smell becomes worse, when the air is humid or very cold?

Hope this helped to "clear the air" LOL

Pflugerville, TX

#12 Sep 27, 2011
Old Brake Guy wrote:
The smell that you are referring to is from the "scorching" or baking of the brake pad materials, during the forming and curing process.
It's the intense heat and constant pressure that makes a brake pad very hard and durable.
I agree that the smell is a bit unusual, it is nothing to be concerned about. there are numerous, air quality checks that take place on a very regular basis.
I've noticed that the smell becomes worse, when the air is humid or very cold?

Hope this helped to "clear the air" LOL
Awesome reply. Appreciated not only the info, and reassurance, but also the humor. I figured there were air quality control measures, but still doesnt seem right that we cant even open our windows for fresh fall or spring breezes. And i too noticed the change from humid or temp variations. One other thought, it sure would be nice if they would offer an intelligent reply like this to those who call in. It really is ugly the way they handle their business on the community relations front. The troll who answers the phone sure could take some people skills lessons from what appears to be a production employee.

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Sep 27, 2011
Its fairly strong today.
Just sayin

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Sep 28, 2011
I know my wife works there (8years)an the smell has gotten a lot stronger than it used to be
Hello

United States

#15 Sep 28, 2011
Bromyk wrote:
Its fairly strong today.
So it's pretty obvious you called the EPA in on Akebono your just hinting around to get someone to comment on it so there are ya satisfied.
Hello

United States

#16 Sep 28, 2011
Bromyk wrote:
Its fairly strong today.
You are a busy body and starting trouble. The machines were just cleaned a few weeks ago so you are just smelling people working, maybe if you get a job you would be less of a busy body and quit worrying about smells, its probably your a$$ your smelling.

Toledo, OH

#17 Sep 28, 2011
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>You are a busy body and starting trouble. The machines were just cleaned a few weeks ago so you are just smelling people working, maybe if you get a job you would be less of a busy body and quit worrying about smells, its probably your a$$ your smelling.
What is wrong with some of you people. Take a pill. Not that its any of your concern, but i have left numerous messages for mr. Pettigo,( who has not bothered to respond) i also requested a copy of public records of the emmissions test results for the last 5 years, but I have not attempted to contact the epa. However, i am going to contact the air quality authorities. If there is no resolution then i am not opposed to contacting whomever need be.
Life is full of choices. Yours may be to work at akebono and expose not only yourself, but also your family and everyone else that you come in contact with, to the nastiness that has become your odor.(not to mention the smell we are discussing in this post) Thats your choice. I personally choose rather to provide for my family not only on a monetary level, but also by providing a pollutant and odor free home where we can enjoy our life. Perhaps your inability to acheive a parcel of success in your own life has resulted in the hostility exhibited by your willingness to verbally attack someone whom you dont know without provocation. Or i could be wrong, perhaps you chose to discard your multiple phds or your mba to pursue the more illustrious life of third shift factory worker and daytime cyber bully. I am an educated man, but your simple ignorance is profound. But then again, IM THE BUSY BODY. To all you factory workers who labor with all you have, leaving it all on the floor every shift, just to earn a modest salary to support your families, i honor your labor immensely. But to those like "hello" i pity your feeble minded existance.
Yaybow

Vine Grove, KY

#18 Sep 28, 2011
When I lived near the factory I got used to the smell. It became part of the ambiance.

Seriously though, I grew up with the plant across a field from me and never suffered any ill effects from it. If you recently moved to your home you will grow accustomed to it, I'm sure.
Sarah

Summer Shade, KY

#19 Sep 28, 2011
Bromyk wrote:
<quoted text>
What is wrong with some of you people. Take a pill. Not that its any of your concern, but i have left numerous messages for mr. Pettigo,( who has not bothered to respond) i also requested a copy of public records of the emmissions test results for the last 5 years, but I have not attempted to contact the epa. However, i am going to contact the air quality authorities. If there is no resolution then i am not opposed to contacting whomever need be.
Life is full of choices. Yours may be to work at akebono and expose not only yourself, but also your family and everyone else that you come in contact with, to the nastiness that has become your odor.(not to mention the smell we are discussing in this post) Thats your choice. I personally choose rather to provide for my family not only on a monetary level, but also by providing a pollutant and odor free home where we can enjoy our life. Perhaps your inability to acheive a parcel of success in your own life has resulted in the hostility exhibited by your willingness to verbally attack someone whom you dont know without provocation. Or i could be wrong, perhaps you chose to discard your multiple phds or your mba to pursue the more illustrious life of third shift factory worker and daytime cyber bully. I am an educated man, but your simple ignorance is profound. But then again, IM THE BUSY BODY. To all you factory workers who labor with all you have, leaving it all on the floor every shift, just to earn a modest salary to support your families, i honor your labor immensely. But to those like "hello" i pity your feeble minded existance.
Are you for real?
Your right when you said your a busy body!
People need jobs to support their families.
If the job comes with a few smells, you may have to live with it.
Not everyone has a PHD and works 9 to 5 in an office.
If you don't like the smell of the Akebono People, then stay away from them.
You really need to mind your own business and stop worrying about all the funny smells you think you smell.
I think your a little crazy.
in cognito

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Sep 28, 2011
Can Akebono make assoc. cover someone else's OT on their line or machine thats not yours? They R bullying associates in Fric.!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pokemon Go 32 min Etown 35
Swope jeep dealer 1 hr Myballsyouremouth 7
Dwayne Hatfield 3 hr Yes I did 4
Amber Childers 6 hr Joe 23
Linda Logsdon 14 hr Hardin county person 30
the ku klux klan (May '14) 15 hr brandy trujillo 71
Who is doing who at Metalsa ?? 16 hr employee 15

Elizabethtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance