Citizens In Action (CIA)
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wrong timing

Mooresville, NC

#1 Mar 28, 2013
This is in regards to Mr Snells editorial in yesterdays Eliz Star. I for one do disagree with your incidious comments Mr Snell! You are oblivious to the life around you in our lovely county! I for one, as is my family, are products of Carter County Schools and am very proud of it. This system as you say is NOT broken! I must also assume that you are in fact wanting our taxes to sky rocket with your endorsement of the stupid long range school play that Mr McMahan has dreamed up! Many folks around here are in deed struggling to make ends meet much less hAVING OUR TAXES TO RAISE 40 PERCENT! Thats probably being conservative to say the least! I always thought we the CIA was against higher taxes but evidently you have your own agenda. Honestly, if this is such a bad place to live then why dont you travel the same road back to where you wandered in here from???? And please take the crazy Mayor with you! You mentioned Commissioners Trivette and Lewis in your article and both agree that we cant handle the huge tax increase this plan will bring with it. A cost savings McMahan says...I have also conversed with him and it sure doesnt take long to see how stupid he is!! Oh by the way, I happen to be one of the few that WAS at your little meeting...glad I went...now I really know who I can support!!!
too many

United States

#2 Mar 28, 2013
the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing with these idiots, i guess KING LEON will have to lead them out of the darkness...at least until Kent Williams takes over
Stateline

Johnson City, TN

#3 Mar 28, 2013
wrong timing wrote:
This is in regards to Mr Snells editorial in yesterdays Eliz Star. I for one do disagree with your incidious comments Mr Snell! You are oblivious to the life around you in our lovely county! I for one, as is my family, are products of Carter County Schools and am very proud of it. This system as you say is NOT broken! I must also assume that you are in fact wanting our taxes to sky rocket with your endorsement of the stupid long range school play that Mr McMahan has dreamed up! Many folks around here are in deed struggling to make ends meet much less hAVING OUR TAXES TO RAISE 40 PERCENT! Thats probably being conservative to say the least! I always thought we the CIA was against higher taxes but evidently you have your own agenda. Honestly, if this is such a bad place to live then why dont you travel the same road back to where you wandered in here from???? And please take the crazy Mayor with you! You mentioned Commissioners Trivette and Lewis in your article and both agree that we cant handle the huge tax increase this plan will bring with it. A cost savings McMahan says...I have also conversed with him and it sure doesnt take long to see how stupid he is!! Oh by the way, I happen to be one of the few that WAS at your little meeting...glad I went...now I really know who I can support!!!
I met a guy who was working in Johnson City when the downtown Courthouse flooded a few years back. He described the County Mayor as giddy and laughing about how the taxpayers were going to have to pay for it. I belive him. Their viewpoint is that by becoming civil servants (we wish) they denied the world their immense talents and they sacrificed huge personal financial rewards in the process. Of course that's a joke.

The same applies to almost every local agency we have and yes that includes the schhool system. If they don't want the job then try flipping burgers. If a College degree is worth so much then why are millions of degreed individuals unemployed?

The education you receive in high school is primarily dependent on how motivated you are as a student. Not the size of the class, not whether it's a cozy 72 degrees year round. Students from 50 years would faint at the amount of resources available today. And please don't give me that tired old argument that we're in a global economy and we need the highest educated workforce etc. Engineers tell me H1 visas are replacing them for half pay all across America. Meanwhile back at the ranch the Sheriff wants abigger budget, the Courts want a bigger budget, the School Board wants a bigger budget but unlike our Federal Government we can't borrow it from China or the Federal Reserve.(or print it ourselves)

The answer is simple- cut expenses. Start with administators, bureaucrats, and political hires. I would prefer less oversight of the classroom teachers than raising property rates on already put upon taxpayers. A forty per cent increase? Even the petroleum companies wouldn't think a pulling a fat one like that. Last but not least do it now or pretty soon the legacy costs of all the deadwood in the system will sink it and the county and the taxpayers just like the Post Office.
long way home

Kingsport, TN

#4 Mar 28, 2013
Let me explain what the big Cia concisest of; a small group of people, many of which has retired to our area. They have a agenda that lacks respect for the education of our children, and basically have nothing to fill their time, so they find a problem with absolutely everything about this county. It was shocking in drive by the courthouse last summer and notice people, standing against the educational system. When you retire to a area with no children to raise, or grandchildren to see excel, then its easy to go against something that doesn't invovle you. Although, most of our citizen are not shallow enough to make a statement that was made by someone in this group, children or not. The statement by the big Cia member, "I believe people that have children in the school system should pay taxes toward the schools, not someone like me that has already raised their kids". Wth...this isn't what or county or America is based upon. You can stand for your cause, but our courthouse isn't a country club. Sad, our mayor affiliates himself with such a group....interesting.
Pops

Mountain City, TN

#5 Mar 28, 2013
Consolidate now! This will help break up the good old boys networks in the schools. We would be able to offer more for the kids academically and with extracurricular activities. If your not moving forward, your moving backward, and this county has been moving backward for years. And our kids will have to compete in a global economy, whether you believe it or not. And the reason the h1 visas are replacing engineers is because they are better qualified because we are not keeping up.
Action Boy

Johnson City, TN

#6 Mar 28, 2013
The CIA is not always right, but this county absolutely needs a "loyal opposition" group that question everything. The people need to listen to them as well as the existing officials to agree on the right path. A one-party system is what got us into the massive rut we're in. Don't attack a group for asking questions that just plain need to be asked.

School consolidation is a fact of life when your population gets older. In Unicoi County everyone fretted and moaned when they closed the old Flag Pond school and several others, but today they have a much more efficient and healthier system than we do. Same goes for many other smaller counties.

It hurts to give up an old tradition, but that's what you have to do sometimes to do the best for your children and your other citizens.
one who knows

Johnson City, TN

#7 Mar 29, 2013
All McMahan wants to do is make a name for himself, as for as i know he don't have any kids therefore he can afford to pay higher taxes, i seen him all dressed up in his 100.00 suit have you seen any of the rest of them looking like him no as i say he is wanting Kelvin Wards job so you had better look out Kelvin i know him and what he is dreaming of.
Gardener

Mooresville, NC

#8 Mar 30, 2013
Wrong timing, you sure hit the nail on the head. The CIA is just a bunch of idiots that think that they are part of the county government. Take for instance, Snell is just exactly like his name implies. Roy is still in Viet Nam trying to scare people. But the little mouse is about to get stepped on. Both of the Dabadoes need to go back and play house in Maryland, maybe on the horse farm( you know what I mean). All these implants couldn't wait to get out of the sewer that they once inhabited.Then they come here and want to change things so that this area will be like the place they came from. What a messed-up bunch of individuals. Our country's freedom started at Sycamore Shoals. We are not the country hillbillies and hicks that the Mayor thinks we are. Everywhere he goes, he talks about the stupid people in Carter County. We as citizens of Carter County know that we cannot afford 100 million dollars to start building another school system. Macmahan needs to relax and retire and leave the school system alone. He must be related to the mayor because all they want to do is stir up trouble and cause chaos. The school board is on the right track, they just need to hold on to the rails.
Heh

Johnson City, TN

#9 Apr 1, 2013
Haven't you heard? They know what's best for us all. They ramrod their ideology down everyones throat and deem you a pathetic hick if you don't agree with them.
If those misinformed tyrants get elected, it'll be the end of this county in less than four years.
When Snell put in for the open commission slot, his own "6" commissioners that he says is for the county DIDN'T even nominate him.
That should say a lot.
Bridge Troll

Johnson City, TN

#10 Apr 10, 2013
Best place for CIA's next meeting: Voncannon's foot bridge on Smalling Road. See if they can borrow a school bus to drive across and take pictures.
LOL

Johnson City, TN

#11 Apr 11, 2013
Anyone else think it was funny Snell was at a school talking about arts....at a school he supports to be closed and consolidated?
between the lines

Kingsport, TN

#12 Apr 11, 2013
Gardener, your right on the mark. We're a county that will disagree, but we'll never be a county that will be insulted as "hicks", just because our ways isn't exactly like the state these people reside from. For our mayor to side with such a ridiculous group, tells me a lot.
Tired Taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#13 Apr 11, 2013
between the lines wrote:
Gardener, your right on the mark. We're a county that will disagree, but we'll never be a county that will be insulted as "hicks", just because our ways isn't exactly like the state these people reside from. For our mayor to side with such a ridiculous group, tells me a lot.
Just how much money do you think we need to keep throwing down the black hole of the so called education system. Its time to quit feeding the educrats, thinking we need to supply every whim because it's "for the children", and issue vouchers so people can vote with their feet. Carter county school system is teaching fewer students every year, but needs even more money. Go away.
when im gone

Kingsport, TN

#14 Apr 11, 2013
Oh my, if a soul don't understand the cost and importance of education, then you slipped off your old rocker a long time ago. This is the next generation to lead America. lf all you can see is dollar signs, then you have no concern about this country after your gone. Actually, what does that say to any corperation coming into this area ; "oh, these kids deserve the least the county has to offer". Now, that would be the last place a thriving company would locate, if your philosophy had any merit. The big CIA and their selfish, bored, and unlogical ways. Just another example shown!
AIC

Johnson City, TN

#15 Apr 11, 2013
CIA are just self serving elitist jerks who have more than their fair share of personal agendas that have been attempted in the past. I just heard yesterday they some of their inner circle used the courthouse, more specifically, the mayor's conference room for a closed door meeting that most of their own members didn't know about. Why were they allowed to use the courthouse when the mayor was out of town??

Are they practicing breaking the sunshine law if some of them get elected? Excluding their own people? Yea...reallllll trustworthy...Sounds to me they are doing exactly what they accuse the officials of doing.
Talk about living in glass houses.
Tired Taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#16 Apr 12, 2013
when im gone wrote:
Oh my, if a soul don't understand the cost and importance of education, then you slipped off your old rocker a long time ago. This is the next generation to lead America. lf all you can see is dollar signs, then you have no concern about this country after your gone. Actually, what does that say to any corperation coming into this area ; "oh, these kids deserve the least the county has to offer". Now, that would be the last place a thriving company would locate, if your philosophy had any merit. The big CIA and their selfish, bored, and unlogical ways. Just another example shown!
There is a hell of a difference in cost and value. You think any cost for "the children" is ok, but don't care if there is any value. You must be an educrat or are used to others payiny your bills.
Eyes on you

Johnson City, TN

#17 Apr 12, 2013
LOL Did ya see today's paper? The letter written by Bob Bland? How he boasts of knowledge when in fact he may have attended one meeting since when? Yet he thinks he has the cure while boasting to join the CIA? Like that is a good thing? LOL

Watch out Stoney Creek, Mr. Real Estate has eyes on running for commission...which by the way...Isn't it odd how the Mayor, Bob Bland, the Shepherds, Jeff Hughis, have one thing in common? All have been in or are in Real Estate.....Tell me they don't take care of their own circle.

Well Mr. Bland....why don't you tell everyone about how as soon as you heard Mr. Ritchie was ill, how you flew down to the courthouse to try and take his spot...even though it wasn't vacated...The news wasn't a week old and you played vulture flying over him, waiting to pick and cast him aside.

Nice character bud....nice..You are a PERFECT fit with the CIA.
Wow

Johnson City, TN

#18 Apr 15, 2013
More like Psychos in Action
sad but true

Johnson City, TN

#19 May 2, 2013
Wow wrote:
More like Psychos in Action
Isnt it funny how all these "out of towners" just seem to settle here and decide that they want to change everything. Why do they want to live here if things are always sooooo bad???
dowhat

Kingsport, TN

#20 May 3, 2013
one who knows wrote:
All McMahan wants to do is make a name for himself, as for as i know he don't have any kids therefore he can afford to pay higher taxes, i seen him all dressed up in his 100.00 suit have you seen any of the rest of them looking like him no as i say he is wanting Kelvin Wards job so you had better look out Kelvin i know him and what he is dreaming of.
I know him, too. Very, very well. It is unfortunate that you think because he has no kids he can't appreciate the position it puts people in to pay higher taxes. You are wrong! Jerry has had the benefit of being somewhere besides the Carter County Schools. His perspective reaches beyond the status quo of this county. He is careful and diligent in doing his research. He is a professional who can give advice that is sound, not playing to the politics of individual board members and their "territories." We are lucky to have him on the school board. There is no reason he would want Kevin Ward's job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep your kids away from Grindstaff Ford!!! 22 min shoot him 9
Casey Chambers 17 hr Casey 10
people hateing on gregs pizza and why? (Jun '12) 21 hr surprised 91
the shity bank inside walmart (Jan '11) Sun Lisa 32
Jb' s in stoney creek for sale?? (Jan '11) Sun Sissy 17
Deadbeat Dads In Carter County (Apr '15) Sun Hanna 37
women wearing pants. ..sin or not? Feb 6 Louis Cypher 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabethton Mortgages