Wednesday

Nashville, TN

#1 Apr 11, 2012
Located at 1651 W. Elk Ave., the Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area allows park visitors to step back in time to the turn of the 18th century. The park is the home to a reconstruction of Fort Watauga. The original fort was excavated about a mile away on the shores of the Watauga River. The Overmountain Men mustered here in September 1780 before their march to fight the battle of King's Mountain. Here was established the first permanent American settlement outside the original 13 colonies and the Watauga Association - the first majority-rule system of American democratic government - was formed in 1772. The outdoor drama, "The Wataugans," is performed in late July in the Park Amphitheater. Visitor Center with theater, museum, and bookstore are provided. Picnicking and walking trails are available.
jimbob

Kingsport, TN

#2 Apr 11, 2012
The family of the man that wrote the "Wataugans' got into a big stink with the park on not getting some money or something they wanted so they changed the name of the Drama to "Liberity" and it is much better if you ask me.
Horrace

Nashville, TN

#3 Apr 12, 2012
Didn't know that. will have to get out and see it this year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lisa Blevins (Mar '11) 2 hr Got that 44
blm 5 hr history lover 14
Lying Liar Who LIes: Carter Co. Commissioner Mi... 6 hr Stupid Mikey 17
Poll Who's the best sheriff Carter County ever had (May '13) 9 hr Tennfan 30
Kenneth Chambers 10 hr Observer 25
Ghost on Gap Creek Road??? (Oct '12) 16 hr Big d 21
Is it really true that they are going to build ... 16 hr uPperiscoPe 7

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance