Missing Carter County Man may have fa...

Missing Carter County Man may have fallen into Watauga River. Help!

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#1 Jul 14, 2009
I would like to share my family’s recent experience with the Carter County Police Department. My Uncle, Timothy Lee Powell of 199 Lovers Lane Elizabethton, has not been seen or heard from since Sunday, July 12, 2009. A family member found his personal effects including his glasses and fishing equipment abandoned on the bank of the Watauga River. The CCPD was contacted and responded over an hour after the call. They sent two uniform patrolmen to take a statement. They took the statement and prepared to leave. Before leaving our family asked if they wanted to go to the river to see were his effects were found. They were not interested. They said a detective would contact the family Monday between the hours of 7am and 4pm. They do not investigate missing person cases on weekends. One police officer said that “since he is an adult the police department will not take it serious”. Considering there is a history of drug use and 3 past suspicious “accidents” that have occurred in the past with my uncle while fishing on the river bank, he is probably dead. Each of the 3 "accidents" have been confirmed as drug related beatings. I suppose the only way we will know if where he has disappeared to is if a citizen finds his body and reports it to the police since they do not work weekends. My purpose in writing is that maybe someone out there has some information to share about his disappearance. My family is currently risking their own lives on canoes and jet skies searching the Watauga River for his body while the dam is generating power. Even drug addicts have mothers and family who love them. We would not want to inconvenience the CCPD with this task even though our tax money is paying for their services.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Jul 15, 2009
Please let us know what happens.
Hamptonite

United States

#3 Jul 15, 2009
Where on the Watauga River? Was it Carter County or the Elizabethton City? I didn't know since the Carter County is known as CCSD and city is known as EPD? I am sorry for your worry and hopefully he will be found in good shape. My prayers are with you all.
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#4 Jul 15, 2009
Hamptonite wrote:
Where on the Watauga River? Was it Carter County or the Elizabethton City? I didn't know since the Carter County is known as CCSD and city is known as EPD? I am sorry for your worry and hopefully he will be found in good shape. My prayers are with you all.
His personal effects were found on the river bank behind his mother's house on Lover's Lane. I have not lived in Elizabethton in 11 years so my terminology is a little off I am talking about the Carter County Sheriff's Department. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you for the prayers.
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#7 Jul 15, 2009
Keep us in your prayers. Tim’s mother is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Even though he was a drug addict and probably a pill pusher in town, he is the center of her world. She looks forward to spending time with him everyday. She is in Indiana visiting family with her sister. She is going to come home to find out that Tim is missing, unless someone comes forward with information. This may be what pushes her into giving up on life.

I am sure many of you have a similar story about a family member. Tim was not always a “drug addict”. He was born June 28, 1961 to Elisha and Lucille Powell. He was the youngest of 11 children. The family struggled like most in Carter County, but every member of the family worked buying, bagging, selling, and delivering coal to other families in the winter and sold produce and fireworks in the summer. In 1971, Elisha was killed in a car crash returning from picking up a load of Coal by teenagers drag racing. This was 17 days before Tim’s 10th birthday. Lucille was left to raise Tim and 3 of his brothers alone. Tim would spoiled his older nieces and nephews. He potty trained my brother when my mom and dad could not pay the child to pee in the potty. In his 64 and ½ Mustang Tim taught my brother to drive at the ripe age of 8. He wasn’t known for buying Christmas presents, but one year he did for all of us. I will never forget he wrapped them all in newspaper and was so proud that he was able to buy for his nieces and nephews. When all of my other uncles teased and tormented me, Tim did not. I would tease him and call him Timmy and Fishy Baby, and he hated it. He loved NASCAR and Davey Allison. He looked forward to attending races every year. Tim worked for many years at Tri State Air Cooled Engines in Johnson City until the employer was unable to deal with his not showing up for work as a result of drug use. He was also a cable guy for many years. He had many friends and family that loved him until he had burnt too many bridges borrowing money and taking advantage of them to get his hands on drugs.

After his first “accident” when he was burnt, he started going to church. I do believe he was saved during that time. He drove the church bus. He was in church every time the doors were open helping where he could. He also started working again. At 40 years old he married for the first time. He truly loved the woman. They seemed to be happy together. Again he returned to drugs and taking advantage of everyone who loved him. With insurance provided by his wife, he was able to gain access to doctor’s who would prescribe meds for him, which he would sell part of and take the rest. His wife divorced him after trying to compete with the drugs. He returned to live with his mother Lucille. With Lucille’s advancing Alzheimer’s, he was able to manipulate her into writing him checks for money she did not have in the bank. She would have nothing to live on for the rest of the month, so her other children had to chip in and help with the bills. The ladies at the bank were concerned because Lucille had never even bounced a check in over 20 years with their bank.
Drug addicts will do anything to get there next fix. Tim had become a non productive adult, but he was human. As many of you know, once the drugs take over a person’s life, they are a different person. Most of our family did not stay in contact with him in the past few years. But one nephew, Randy, saw him everyday. Randy would have seen him by now. Tim never had any money. He was a smoker. He left his cigarettes laying on the river bank. A smoker does not leave cigarettes behind on purpose, especially when he doesn’t have money to buy more. Tim is loved by his family. We just want to know what has happened to him! If you have any information please let us know.
jacklyn

Kingsport, TN

#8 Jul 15, 2009
I am sitting here with randy and tina still searching for answers. I have contacted channell 11 news and Rick stated he would post it on the news in the morning after getting confirmation from the ccsd. I called the ccsed and was informed to call in the a.m and speak to the investigator which I will find out who is in charge tomorrow. Tim did have problems but he would give you the shirt off his back if you wanted or needed it. We are all familiar with him and hope and pray for the best. My concern is for his dear mother who is out of state visiting a dying relative (brother) and she has no idea of this horrific situation and her life will probably be over if we have no answers. Myself and Kevin have known him a long time with Kevin knowning him 40 years. He is a king gentle soul and I truly hate this situation. May God Bless the family and Tim (fish) and everyone who is searching for him. Jacklyn and Kevin. Please help the family. Thank YOU
curious

Whitwell, TN

#9 Jul 15, 2009
Is his sister Cleo Hicks?
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#10 Jul 16, 2009
curious wrote:
Is his sister Cleo Hicks?
She is one of his 5 living sisters
sweet T

Kingsport, TN

#11 Jul 16, 2009
Thank you for the info. I asked on the "C.M." thread[I read it before I found this thread]if this is the family I know and it is. I hate to hear this!!! You have a good family, full of hard workers and decent people.[Is "worried family" Cleo's daughter?] I am praying for you all, especially Lucille. She has always been one of my favorite people...
Please keep us updated.
cc mamaw

Elizabethton, TN

#12 Jul 16, 2009
Isn't Bill Fraley his brother-in-law?? Surley Bill still has enough pull to get someone to do something!!! I know this family and they are good people. Someone has to help them!!
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#13 Jul 16, 2009
sweet T wrote:
Thank you for the info. I asked on the "C.M." thread[I read it before I found this thread]if this is the family I know and it is. I hate to hear this!!! You have a good family, full of hard workers and decent people.[Is "worried family" Cleo's daughter?] I am praying for you all, especially Lucille. She has always been one of my favorite people...
Please keep us updated.
This is Cleo's daughter. Thank you for the nice comment. Please pray for Tim and Lucille. Granny does not know yet. We are telling her today.
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#14 Jul 16, 2009
cc mamaw wrote:
Isn't Bill Fraley his brother-in-law?? Surley Bill still has enough pull to get someone to do something!!! I know this family and they are good people. Someone has to help them!!
Bill Fraley is Tim's brother in law. Remember this is Carter County we are talking about. Just because you are related to a cop doesn't mean you are considered any more important than the next person. Thank you about the nice comment about our family.
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#15 Jul 16, 2009
Update:
This morning CCSD Investigator Chad Grindstaff came to my mother’s residence and took procession of the pill bottles listed in my previous posting. He assured our family that this was a priority for the CCSD and would investigate. We will see what happens.

Tim is still missing. Family members are still searching the river today. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Tim was a gentle person as someone commented here. He would have given you anything he had. Again just because a person has surrendered their life to drugs does not mean they are a bad person and do not deserve the same treatment as if any other citizen goes missing. When a person is dependant on drugs they do what ever they can to get their hands on them. Tim was a loving, caring, and generous person. I believe he was tormented by his misdeeds, but the drugs won out.

Thank you to the many well wishes our family has received. Please keep us in your prayers. I will continue to update.
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#16 Jul 16, 2009
cc mamaw wrote:
Just a note Bill's son Brian has been helping search for Tim. Brian has been very helpful.
cc mamaw

Elizabethton, TN

#17 Jul 16, 2009
Worried Family wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Fraley is Tim's brother in law. Remember this is Carter County we are talking about. Just because you are related to a cop doesn't mean you are considered any more important than the next person. Thank you about the nice comment about our family.
It was just a thought about Bill helping out. Linda is my sister-in-law. I know Cleo but I don't remember Tim. I do remember Randy.You all are in my prayers dailey
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#18 Jul 16, 2009
cc mamaw wrote:
<quoted text>It was just a thought about Bill helping out. Linda is my sister-in-law. I know Cleo but I don't remember Tim. I do remember Randy.You all are in my prayers dailey
Thank you for your prayers. Every little bit helps
sister

Nashville, TN

#19 Jul 16, 2009
just a update! i have been in contact with the carter county sheriff dept several times today. mr chad grindstaff with the sheriff dept. has been wonderfull today he has been in contact with me several times today and he has really worked hard on this he had several leads where people in hampton we telling that they seen him on monday this was not so. if you have seen him please come forward and let someone know if you have not please do not waist the police's time they are trying to find him. also someone was so low down that they went to the river and stoled his glasses and every thing except his chair and fishing pole i guess they will come back and get this next. you know it takes someone low to do this. if you did this be honest enough to bring his glasses back. if he is found he wil need this. just take them to the house and put them on the porch at his mothers. god is watching you. so far nothing has been found out about him missing keep us in your prayers thanks for all the good things that has been said about him and the family. also god bless brian frailey for all he has done. he is my nephew and i love him deeply
Worried Family

Groton, CT

#20 Jul 16, 2009
I pulled this information from a 2006 meeting of The Tennessee Medical Examiners. It seems Dr. Slonaker has a history of over prescribing medication. This practice needs to be investigated and given more than probation and a little fine.

Daniel Slonaker, MD-Dr. Slonaker was present but not represented by legal counsel.
Mr. Robert Kraemer represented the State. The Order of Compliance was handed out to
the Board for review. Dr. Slonaker was charged with violating TCA 63-6-214 (b)(1),
TCA 63-6-214 (b)(4) and TCA 63-6-214 (b)(12). On November, 2003, Dr. Slonaker
entered into an Agreed Order. The Agreed Order stated that Dr. Slonaker's license be
placed on probation for a period of two (2) years from the effective date of the Order. Dr.
Slonaker must attend a two-day medical record course offered at Case Western Reserve
University in Cleveland, Ohio, or equivalent course approved by the Board. Dr. Slonaker
must attend a three day seminar entitled "Prescribing Controlled Drugs", at the Center
For Professional Health" at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in Nashville,
Tennessee, or equivalent course approved by the Board. Dr. Slonaker must take forty
(40) hours of family practice courses approved by the American Academy of Family
Physicians per year for each of the two (2) years pf probation and secure fifty (50) hours
of other continuing medical education per year for each of two (2) years of probation.
Dr. Slonaker must surrender his DEA Certificate if he has not completed the two (2) day
medical records course at Case Western Reserve University, or equivalent course. Dr.
Slonaker must maintain a prescription logbook for recording the dispensing and
prescribing of controlled substances for the period of probation. Dr. Slonaker must pay
two (2) Type A one thousand ($1,000) dollars civil penalties in the amount of twothousand
($2,000) dollars and one Type B five hundred ($500) dollar civil penalty in the
amount of five hundred ($500) dollars for the violations. A letter from Ms. Lea Phelps,
Disciplinary Coordinator states that Dr. Slonaker has resolved all responsibilities as set
forth from the 2003 Agreed Order. Dr. Slonaker explained to the Board how he deals
with complying and treating patients. Ms. Yeiser made a motion to accept the Order of
Compliance and Dr. Eckles seconded the motion. The motion passed unopposed.
just wondering

United States

#21 Jul 17, 2009
Let's go over the time line again, he went fishing Sunday & the CCSD was called the same day? or were they called Monday like the paper states? I don't think that the CCSD is slacking at all, sounds like they are right on schedule. You have to wait so many hours before somebody is presumed innocent anyway, especially an adult with a shady past.... sorry thats just how I see it.... I hope he comes home to you and I hope this was all just a misunderstanding but No, I don't think that the CCSD have done any wrong.
just wondering

United States

#22 Jul 17, 2009
hahaha sorry I meant to say presumed missing, not innocent... I was just reading the other Bill Fraley thread and got mixed up, lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know Chris Shockley? 1 hr Concerned 3
Is Terri Musil a informant now? 2 hr pervxsherr 4
How many people in Carter County have had thing... (Sep '16) 2 hr Concerned 3
Memorial Funeral Home gave wrong cremated remai... (Jul '12) 5 hr Jenett 30
Shirley's 5 hr Jenett 4
Sammons in Elizabethton 5 hr Jenett 12
Jiggy Ray's downtown (Nov '13) 17 hr Jenett 116

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance