Fun Facts in American History-Part 1
Posted in the Elizabethton Forum
#1 Jul 3, 2012
1. The shortest inaugural address in U.S. history -- 135 words -- was given in 1793 by George Washington. His dentures hurt, and he wanted to get it over with.
2. George Washington was also quite an alcohol manufacturer. In 1798 alone, he produced 11,000 gallons of whiskey.
3. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, the great explorers of the Northwest, gave President Thomas Jefferson two bear cubs. Jefferson kept his new pets on the South Lawn of the White House.
4. Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod, but he didnt stop there. Hes also credited for the urinary catheter.
5. Abigail Adams, foreshadowing later feminists like Susan B. Anthony, tartly reminded her husband John, our second President: "Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors [were]. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands."
#2 Jul 4, 2012
Thought I'd bump this up for everyone to read today.
Add your comments below
|Chad Oliver (Aug '14)||10 min||joe||20|
|Valley Forge Church FWB||26 min||Federal 2||24|
|wendy stanton tucker (Jan '14)||1 hr||Tomthumb||5|
|INSIDE CARTER COUNTY JAIL(the things you dont k... (Dec '12)||5 hr||Jim||333|
|pagan/wiccan thread (Feb '10)||9 hr||LemurianHealer||74|
|A good Cuban sandwich in Tri-Cities? (Feb '10)||11 hr||its about time||5|
|best home cooked meals served||11 hr||its about time||5|
Find what you want!
Search Elizabethton Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC