Fire at Fish Springs Boat Dock

Fire at Fish Springs Boat Dock

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

Ghost of Hank Johnson

Johnson City, TN

#1 May 28, 2012
Glad no one was injured. Almost impossible for a volunteer fire dept to come from Elk Mills to extinguish a houseboat fire 15 miles away.
JohnBoy

Enfield, IL

#2 May 28, 2012
Elk Mills fire department is a LOT closer than 15 miles, its more like 5. We can't have a fire dept. on every corner. Why are u griping about the services of a "volunteer" group anyways? Fish Springs knows where the nearest fire dept is and people who choose to keep their boats there do too, they should have extinguishers on hand.
Boat Owner

Johnson City, TN

#3 May 28, 2012
I drove it and the distance is 8.8 miles. Yes, I appreciate the volunteers, but the funding is not entirely volunteer. My property taxes have funded volunteer fire departments.

How about posting the actual official response time on this one? Your comment about boat owners should have fire extinguishers is a total joke. The law requires this already. You assume that the boat owners were standing by and doing nothing. I am sad if you are in charge of anything except your big mouth.
JohnBoy

Enfield, IL

#4 May 28, 2012
Boat Owner wrote:
I drove it and the distance is 8.8 miles. Yes, I appreciate the volunteers, but the funding is not entirely volunteer. My property taxes have funded volunteer fire departments.
How about posting the actual official response time on this one? Your comment about boat owners should have fire extinguishers is a total joke. The law requires this already. You assume that the boat owners were standing by and doing nothing. I am sad if you are in charge of anything except your big mouth.
The original post made it sound like people were watching their watches (or at least the poster was) to see how long it took the volunteer fire dept. to get there. I have a big mouth because I am pointing out the obvious??? If you have fire extinguishers and a whole lake full of water, my guess would be to start putting it out yourself. That was more toward the original poster, not the boat owners... There are several emergencies these voulunteers go to at all hours of the night and day on their own time. I am a proud contributor to Elk Mills Fire Department, not only taxes but the fundraisers they have too, cook outs and family photos.... Don't jump on the defense...dude I'm on your side..
JohnBoy

Enfield, IL

#5 May 28, 2012
Oh and I know the boats have extinguishers, I meant Fish Srings Marina needs a little bit better response knowing that it may take the Poga fire department at least 10 minutes to get there, being a boat owner, I know a boat can explode in a minute. Maybe they should have a pump to use the lake water and larger fire extinguishers on the dock, that is what Sonny's has. Just thought I would volunteer that advice.
How far is Hampton FD away from Lakeshore Marina? Just curious...
Henry

Church Hill, VA

#6 May 29, 2012
Looks like Liquid Assets (used to be Monk Montgomery's boat) and another houseboat from Pensacola FL were the ones destroyed. Dont know who owned the smaller boat which was also destroyed; looked like a real nice ski boat also got damaged, think it might be one of the Citizens bankers. Scary scene. Any word on cause?
Mike

United States

#7 May 29, 2012
Two of the boats belonged to an anesthesiologist in Elizabethton.
Whaley Town Mayor

Johnson City, TN

#8 May 30, 2012
Fish Springs Marina has grown substantially in the last few years. The boats, campers, and modular cabins represent huge investments in the millions of dollars which have added great value to our county tax base. A new development is underway between Watauga Point and Little Stoney. Mallard Cove, Shirley's, Fish Tales, and at least one more store warrant local fire protection.

It is time for the Poga and Hampton Departments to come together and establish a unit in the area near Shirley's Restaurant or the new electric substation. Current fire chiefs should take the lead in this, recognizing that funds will follow vision and need. Grants could be available (check with the county mayor and state representatives) and volunteers will surface when a plan is revealed.
Dock Resident

Johnson City, TN

#9 May 30, 2012
We were right across from those slips and from what I can remember, the boat that started the fire was not taken out any last weekend. It was on its lift since before last Friday. I stepped outside around 2 am and remember looking in that direction and it was not burning then. It must have started between 4-5 am.

We were awakened by the glow and popping sound of the fire. Valiant efforts were made to contain it until the fire dept arrived, but it was too hot to get within 15 feet of it.

We witnessed 95% of that fire, up close. In my opinion, the roof of the covered slip caused the heat to be focused, like a chimney, to the top of Liquid Assets II. You can see from the photos on the news, the outer wall of Liquid Assets nearest the initial fire was not damaged. It burned from the top down. The entire top deck was engulfed within 20 seconds of it catching fire. Once it caught, it spread extremely fast. No official cause has been determined as of this morning.

Very sad to watch and not be able to do anything more. A garden hose and small fire extinguishers cannot battle a fire that hot and that large. Halon fire suppression systems are installed inside many of the newer more expensive house boats but battling an outside fire requires something different.

In addition, many boat owners haul their own gas to the lake. If there had been canisters of gasoline sitting around, it would have been a disaster.
LOVE MY FLAG

Johnson City, TN

#10 Jun 1, 2012
I wounder if MONK had his INSURANCE with BEE.!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Middle School 2 hr tina 1
Carl Ray Nidiffer and Meth Clinic 2 hr oh well 20
Chris Mathes - Off The Market! 6 hr Crack kills 17
Judge Walton 8 hr Wal Mart 2
Knows Peadophile in your area 8 hr Neutral 23
Hot girls in Elizabethton 9 hr UTC 6
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word**** (May '10) 10 hr delilah 2,257
More from around the web

Elizabethton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE