lions field lighting
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CAPTAIN JACK

Morristown, TN

#1 Jan 17, 2011
Can someone tell me why the City is responsible for paying for new lights to go on the Lions Field on the West End of Elizabethton? The League that they have down there takes kids from Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol, and even as far away as North Carolina. They have kids from everywhere!! The City should be fixing a field for the Little League on the East side of town that has grown out of it's current 1 field with all the teams they had last year. At least it services Carter County kids only!!! We wouldn't buy new lights for Wing Dear Park in J.C. would we? I'm just saying that Little League is available on the East side of town for Carter County Kids and if we're going to spend money on the community then spend it on "OUR" kids, not kids from surrounding areas.
Happyvalely

Columbia, TN

#2 Jan 17, 2011
controlled by happyvalley
ronh

Kingsport, TN

#3 Jan 17, 2011
I think Captain Jack should be sheriff & let Bill Crumley run the jail.
we have hope

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jan 17, 2011
CAPTAIN JACK wrote:
Can someone tell me why the City is responsible for paying for new lights to go on the Lions Field on the West End of Elizabethton? The League that they have down there takes kids from Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol, and even as far away as North Carolina. They have kids from everywhere!! The City should be fixing a field for the Little League on the East side of town that has grown out of it's current 1 field with all the teams they had last year. At least it services Carter County kids only!!! We wouldn't buy new lights for Wing Dear Park in J.C. would we? I'm just saying that Little League is available on the East side of town for Carter County Kids and if we're going to spend money on the community then spend it on "OUR" kids, not kids from surrounding areas.
Can someone tell me why the City is responsible for paying for new lights to go on the Lions Field on the West End of Elizabethton?

Because they are many kids from the City Limits that participates in sporting events on Lions field in which the Elizabethton Electric will provide the lighting under the direction of city manager Fred Edens.
missgray

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jan 17, 2011
because the city took them down to begin with because of "safety issues."
CHRIS

Morristown, TN

#6 Jan 17, 2011
THE FIELD SHOULD BE OPEN AND AVAILABLE FOR ALL OF THE CITIZENS OF ELIZABETHTON TO ENJOY THEN. I WENT THERE TO PLAY CATCH WITH MY DOG ONE DAY AND WAS RAN OFF BY SOMEONE THAT TOLD ME THAT THE CITY DIDN'T OWN THAT PROPERTY. WHO OWNS IT AND WHY IS IT NOT AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE TO ENJOY? WHY IS THERE A GATE THAT SAYS PRIVATE PROPERTY?
Jimmy

Morristown, TN

#7 Jan 17, 2011
missgray wrote:
because the city took them down to begin with because of "safety issues."
The city took down light all over the city. The ones in Blackbottom were taken down too! Carter County Little League uses that field for Coach Pitch games. If they replace one field for that league then they should replace the lights in Blackbottom for the Little League as well. We had games last year cut short because it was getting dark outside as well. I say replace one field for the Lions field League and either build a field for Carter County Little League or replace the lights in Blackbottom for the Little League to have 2 fields. Anotherwords DON'T GET GREEDY and expect the city to fund new lighting for three fields!!
Lol

Kingsport, TN

#8 Jan 17, 2011
I have been ran off from the Lions field as wll, with them stating that it is provate property. I would rather my tax dollars go to a field for all uses such as the CCALL where you are not ran off and it is for everyones use.
baseballer

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Jan 17, 2011
I actually liked that there were no lights down there last year. There were no 8:00 ballgames when school was still in session, that is too late to start a game on a school night!
Randy Overdorf

Kingsport, TN

#10 Jan 17, 2011
The city owns the park where Elizabethton Baseball and softball leagues play their games and practice. The city came in and took down the lights with the promise to have new lights to replace them, after one light pole fell because it had rotted away at the base. Why wouldn't the city replace the lights on a field they own, so that the kids can play more games. If you owned a house and something broke,wouldn't it be your responsibility to get it fixed?
CHRIS

Morristown, TN

#11 Jan 18, 2011
Randy Overdorf wrote:
The city owns the park where Elizabethton Baseball and softball leagues play their games and practice. The city came in and took down the lights with the promise to have new lights to replace them, after one light pole fell because it had rotted away at the base. Why wouldn't the city replace the lights on a field they own, so that the kids can play more games. If you owned a house and something broke,wouldn't it be your responsibility to get it fixed?
THE FIELD SHOULD BE UNLOCKED AND THE CITY SHOULD TAKE DOWN THE GATE AND PRIVATE PROPERTY SIGNS IF THEY OWN IT. ANY AND EVERY PERSON THAT WANTS TO USE IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE IT. DOES THE PARK AND REC. MAINTAIN THE FACILITY?
CHRIS

Morristown, TN

#12 Jan 18, 2011
baseballer wrote:
I actually liked that there were no lights down there last year. There were no 8:00 ballgames when school was still in session, that is too late to start a game on a school night!
I GUESS IT WOULD BE ROUGH FOR CHILDREN THAT LIVE IN KINGSPORT, JOHNSON CITY, AND NORTH CAROLINA TO MAKE IT TO SCHOOL THE NEXT MORNING AFTER PLAYING SO LATE. MAYBE THEY SHOULDN'T PUT THE LIGHTS BACK UP.
baseballer

Jonesborough, TN

#13 Jan 18, 2011
CHRIS wrote:
<quoted text>
I GUESS IT WOULD BE ROUGH FOR CHILDREN THAT LIVE IN KINGSPORT, JOHNSON CITY, AND NORTH CAROLINA TO MAKE IT TO SCHOOL THE NEXT MORNING AFTER PLAYING SO LATE. MAYBE THEY SHOULDN'T PUT THE LIGHTS BACK UP.
I do not see the lights down there as a necessity. When the time changes it doesn't get dark until after 8:00. People are acting like it prohibits games from being played. Playing one game each night of the week is reasonable plus you have ALL day on Saturday to play multiple games. Not much consideration is take for families...parents who work, dinner, homework, families with multiple children who need to be in bed before 10pm, etc.
clouddancer

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jan 18, 2011
lets just plow up all the the fields! don't provide any services to the public especially the kids. there is enough waste at city hall to provide lights for every ballfield in east tennessee and you want to begrudge these kids of one of the best activities around. i hope whitehead gets wind of this maybe he will have those fields ready along the river, hell just sell the fields to him, he will get something done. if i was on the council i would be ashamed to tell a city tax paying parent that the lights in which they promised to put up would not be up this year. what have they been doing all this time. pityful.
jimbob

Johnson City, TN

#15 Jan 18, 2011
CHRIS wrote:
<quoted text>
THE FIELD SHOULD BE UNLOCKED AND THE CITY SHOULD TAKE DOWN THE GATE AND PRIVATE PROPERTY SIGNS IF THEY OWN IT. ANY AND EVERY PERSON THAT WANTS TO USE IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE IT. DOES THE PARK AND REC. MAINTAIN THE FACILITY?
There is not a gate or private property signs. There is plenty of room for you to play catch with dogs down by the creek without getting on the fields no one wants their kids to play in dog crap.
jimbob

Johnson City, TN

#16 Jan 18, 2011
baseballer wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not see the lights down there as a necessity. When the time changes it doesn't get dark until after 8:00. People are acting like it prohibits games from being played. Playing one game each night of the week is reasonable plus you have ALL day on Saturday to play multiple games. Not much consideration is take for families...parents who work, dinner, homework, families with multiple children who need to be in bed before 10pm, etc.
the problem with that is that what allows the league to operate are the concession. With just one game per night not enough sales to operate. No innings are started per LL rules past 10:00 on school nights.
jimbob

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jan 18, 2011
The Elizabethton National League has operated without any help from the city for years and when the Boys and Girls Club could no longer support kids after TBall and before little league which would be ages 7-9, the national league had a reserve fund and used it along with donations to build a new field at Lions Park for those kids hoping the extra kids would be enough to keep things running. There were over 25 teams in down there last year. No way get the games in with just one game per night. The City could have just inspected the poles and removed the bad ones but City Manager, Fred Edens decided on his own to take them all down. Like he starts lawsuits on his own. The then gets quotes for $550,000 to replace the lights from some internet company. We need something positive for the kids in this town and had the league not stepped in and took over the younger kids and the new field they would have had the money to replace the rotten poles, but the City stepped in to help so let them help.
Parent of player

Johnson City, TN

#18 Jan 19, 2011
jimbob wrote:
The Elizabethton National League has operated without any help from the city for years and when the Boys and Girls Club could no longer support kids after TBall and before little league which would be ages 7-9, the national league had a reserve fund and used it along with donations to build a new field at Lions Park for those kids hoping the extra kids would be enough to keep things running. There were over 25 teams in down there last year. No way get the games in with just one game per night. The City could have just inspected the poles and removed the bad ones but City Manager, Fred Edens decided on his own to take them all down. Like he starts lawsuits on his own. The then gets quotes for $550,000 to replace the lights from some internet company. We need something positive for the kids in this town and had the league not stepped in and took over the younger kids and the new field they would have had the money to replace the rotten poles, but the City stepped in to help so let them help.
Let's not forget that they are not the only place that supports kids after the boys and girls club. Carter County American Little League had coach pitch last year for 6-8 year olds. This year they will be doing 4- 6 tball as well.
jimbob

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jan 19, 2011
Parent of player wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not forget that they are not the only place that supports kids after the boys and girls club. Carter County American Little League had coach pitch last year for 6-8 year olds. This year they will be doing 4- 6 tball as well.
Both leagues do a great job for the kids of Carter County. The volunteers that run them deserve a lot of credit, the time and effort it takes for the kids is tremendous. Replacing the lights is the least the City could do for them. Without lights the leagues would not get post season district and state tournaments. Those bring teams from all over the state which brings people to town that by gas, food, lodging and the taxes help the City.
another cc voter

Elizabethton, TN

#20 Jan 20, 2011
CHRIS wrote:
<quoted text>
The fields are maintained by the league volunteers. The city mows the grass occasionally and lines the fields before games occasionally. Several parents and coaches put in many long hours keeping those facilities in good order. The same can be said for the other ball leagues around the county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Robinson and Melinda Buchanan 36 min Who doesnt know 115
City Manager 4 hr Will 19
L M Gringstaff taking Mathes to court ! (May '13) 5 hr FACTS 103
girls that have had a threesome (Jun '13) 5 hr bob 100
Proof Of Stalking In Cowtown Thu Blinky 6
Elizabethton Police Dept. (May '09) Thu Elvis 182
Ben Cole High Speed Chase (Jul '13) Thu Helter Skelter 12

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance