One person killed in Milligan Highway crash

Aug 14, 2012 Full story: The Elizabethton Star 364

Captain Greg Workman of the Elizabethton Police Department said the crash in front of the Milligan Grocery was reported at 1:50 a.m. A small white car had struck the store's sign.

Full Story
Steve

Kingsport, TN

#65 Aug 30, 2012
Whatever wrote:
It is like this..Nothing anybody can post on here can change what happened or make a difference to anybody.
Law enforcement will examine all of the evidence and take whatever action they deem appropriate. And I assure you....they are not looking at this topix forum for any type of guidance on how they proceed.
Micah will likely serve some jail time and community service as a result.
The punishment ultimately given will not seem as severe enough punishment to some people and he will continue to be shunned and looked down on from now on regardless. Nothing will change that. I've seen this happen over and over.
I personally knew 2 diffenent young men from this area who were the drivers in a car accident as teenagers where a friend or passenger was killed and they survived.
One of them committed suicide 15 years later and the other died as a result of an overdose approx 20 years later. Both suffered depression and had a very difficult time ever functioning normally in this community and had very troubled lives from the point of the accident to their deaths.
Their treatment by many of the fine people of this community most definitely contributed to the depression they suffered.
I know one of them eventually sought out counseling, but it was really too late for it to be effective for him.
All I can say is anger and bitterness will do nothing but harm yourself and others. You will never feel as if justice has been served no matter happens.
My advice to the Cates family is to move away from this area as soon as Micah has served whatever sentence he is given. You will never have any peace otherwise and it will not be mentally healthy for him to stay here. He will never be able to even start to heal if you stay. I've seen it happen more than once.
I pray for everyone affected to find peace and comfort.
Just remember one thing, never think you are above being in a situation similar to the Cates family.
It may not be drinking....but one brief distraction while you are driving could cost someone's life.
You drop your cell phone, or it rings, or you are talking about something and your attention gets diverted. One split second of being distracted for whatever reason could be a matter of life and death.
Yes, this was preventable and this young man acted irresponsibly..with tragic results.
It has happened many times before, and unfortunately, it will happen many times again.
You can take something like this and add to the pain and bitterness or you can try to make some positive impact from it. Show Love and compassion and what it can do.
Sadly, the former seems to be what usually happens and that's likely not going to change either.
And the age of the internet and a forum like topix just helps to add fuel to the fire. Compassion is not a component very often seen in this forum.
Your statement, "it may not be drinking", makes me think you know something more about the driver in this senseless wreck. Jail time, and community service, really? How about life without parole if he is found to have alcohol, or drugs, in his system. That would make this a vehicular homicide. That would be appropriate, in my eyes, for taking a young man's life who had a wonderful future ahead of him. Everyone, except family, is for making this driver pay for his wrong doing. I think an "eye for an eye" would be appropriate. It will never happen that he gets life, but I do hope he sees substantial time in the "BIG HOUSE", IF he was driving impaired. You can try putting perfume on Micah, all you want, but it still STINKS!
Catesfamilymembe r

Los Angeles, CA

#66 Aug 30, 2012
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Your statement, "it may not be drinking", makes me think you know something more about the driver in this senseless wreck. Jail time, and community service, really? How about life without parole if he is found to have alcohol, or drugs, in his system. That would make this a vehicular homicide. That would be appropriate, in my eyes, for taking a young man's life who had a wonderful future ahead of him. Everyone, except family, is for making this driver pay for his wrong doing. I think an "eye for an eye" would be appropriate. It will never happen that he gets life, but I do hope he sees substantial time in the "BIG HOUSE", IF he was driving impaired. You can try putting perfume on Micah, all you want, but it still STINKS!
EXCUSE ME MR STEVE I AM FAMILY AND NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MICAH NOT TAKING RESPONSIABILTY FOR HIS ACTION IF HE DID SOMETHING WRONG NO ONE KNOWS WHAT ALL HAPPENED SO LET THE LEGAL SYSTEM AND GOD HANDLE IT NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK NEEDS TO BE DONE. AND THE ONLY PERSON WHO STINKS ARE PEOPLE ON HERE SPREADING HATE! Try praying!

Johnson City, TN

#67 Aug 30, 2012
Catesfamilymember wrote:
<quoted text> EXCUSE ME MR STEVE I AM FAMILY AND NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MICAH NOT TAKING RESPONSIABILTY FOR HIS ACTION IF HE DID SOMETHING WRONG NO ONE KNOWS WHAT ALL HAPPENED SO LET THE LEGAL SYSTEM AND GOD HANDLE IT NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK NEEDS TO BE DONE. AND THE ONLY PERSON WHO STINKS ARE PEOPLE ON HERE SPREADING HATE! Try praying!
Here is some advice for you and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, we all know both families are hurting and only time can heal your hearts but all you're doing by responding to these remarks is feeding the fire, just quit feeding the fire and it will eventually die down.
Catesfamilymembe r

United States

#68 Aug 30, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is some advice for you and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, we all know both families are hurting and only time can heal your hearts but all you're doing by responding to these remarks is feeding the fire, just quit feeding the fire and it will eventually die down.
Thanks but advice not needed:)
Steve

Kingsport, TN

#69 Aug 30, 2012
Catesfamilymember wrote:
<quoted text> EXCUSE ME MR STEVE I AM FAMILY AND NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MICAH NOT TAKING RESPONSIABILTY FOR HIS ACTION IF HE DID SOMETHING WRONG NO ONE KNOWS WHAT ALL HAPPENED SO LET THE LEGAL SYSTEM AND GOD HANDLE IT NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK NEEDS TO BE DONE. AND THE ONLY PERSON WHO STINKS ARE PEOPLE ON HERE SPREADING HATE! Try praying!
Au contraire, people here want justice for Tanner. "IF" he did something wrong? The newspaper stated Micah was speeding, and reckless. A very fine young man who was well respected, responsible, and much loved, lost his life because of Micah being so irresponsible.

Since: Jun 12

Johnson City, TN

#70 Sep 2, 2012
Wow. Seriously? All you have to talk about is a tragic event that has already caused enough grief on both families? Including Micah? Being a friend of -both-, this is absurd. Micah and Tanner were both great people. However, it's quite disturbing how everybody seems to be pointing all fingers at Micah. Let's state some facts. They were at the same party & left together? Okay, so Micah was drinking? Tell me what sober person would get in a car with somebody under the influence? Nobody...if you have any intelligence at all. I don't think some of you have grasped that concept yet. One life was lost & the other will pay for it the rest of his entire life (mentally & physically) because of one mistake. I'd like to see the tables turned & see what people would say perhaps the situation be vice versa. Would you all want Tanner to receive the same criticism that Micah is enduring? Ever place yourself in that situation? I couldn't imagine having to live with the guilt of killing my best friend, not including, facing jail time and the comments that some of you are posting. I'm almost positive Micah didn't wake up that morning and say to himself 'Hey, tonight is going to be the night that I lose my best friend due to me wrecking into a pole.' IT WAS A MISTAKE. Everybody makes mistakes. Sad thing is, events like this occur every day. However, a majority of you probably don't venture out of the small pathetic town of Elizabethton to hear about it. One thing like this happens, and you'd almost swear the world is coming to an end. There's enough damage done to both families already. Nothing can change what happened. It's said and done. I'd suggest you all support those in need. I'm sure the last thing anybody wants to hear about is all this irrelevant negativity. I can understand those being upset about the lose of Tanner, but holding a grudge against Micah will not find you at peace with yourself either. Prayers for both families -&- Micah.
A Faithful Believer

Bristol, TN

#71 Sep 3, 2012
Sanity102 wrote:
Wow. Seriously? All you have to talk about is a tragic event that has already caused enough grief on both families? Including Micah? Being a friend of -both-, this is absurd. Micah and Tanner were both great people. However, it's quite disturbing how everybody seems to be pointing all fingers at Micah. Let's state some facts. They were at the same party & left together? Okay, so Micah was drinking? Tell me what sober person would get in a car with somebody under the influence? Nobody...if you have any intelligence at all. I don't think some of you have grasped that concept yet. One life was lost & the other will pay for it the rest of his entire life (mentally & physically) because of one mistake. I'd like to see the tables turned & see what people would say perhaps the situation be vice versa. Would you all want Tanner to receive the same criticism that Micah is enduring? Ever place yourself in that situation? I couldn't imagine having to live with the guilt of killing my best friend, not including, facing jail time and the comments that some of you are posting. I'm almost positive Micah didn't wake up that morning and say to himself 'Hey, tonight is going to be the night that I lose my best friend due to me wrecking into a pole.' IT WAS A MISTAKE. Everybody makes mistakes. Sad thing is, events like this occur every day. However, a majority of you probably don't venture out of the small pathetic town of Elizabethton to hear about it. One thing like this happens, and you'd almost swear the world is coming to an end. There's enough damage done to both families already. Nothing can change what happened. It's said and done. I'd suggest you all support those in need. I'm sure the last thing anybody wants to hear about is all this irrelevant negativity. I can understand those being upset about the lose of Tanner, but holding a grudge against Micah will not find you at peace with yourself either. Prayers for both families -&- Micah.
So Ethan, if you think Elizabethton is such a small pathetic town, get your hinny back to the "Big Town of Appalachian State." The way you talk, one would think that you lived in Hollywood, CA. I hate to be the one to tell you, Elizabethton may be a small town, but it's far from pathetic!!!
Sam

Kingsport, TN

#72 Sep 3, 2012
Sanity102 wrote:
Talk about a DOOZY of what you choose to call a "mistake". It was ALL Micah's fault that he chose to drink, and then drive lke a heathen. I am 100% sure that Tanner did not expect Micah to speed, and drive ever so wrecklessly. Micah is the ONE who is totally responsible for all the pain he has caused. As for you thinking our wonderful town is pathetic, I would say to you "LEAVE"! It is too bad that Micah found his way to Elizabethton, from Nashville. Prayers for Tanner, and his wonderful family! May justice be served swiftly, and justly, in this case.
Catesfamilymembe r

Los Angeles, CA

#73 Sep 3, 2012
Sanity102 wrote:
I totally agree with you people kill me instead of playing God and trying to judge they need to be praying for both families and people keep trashing Micah and saying what a fine man Tanner was but hey if they were partying together like everyone is saying what makes him any better than Micah it don`t in my eyes a fine outstanding young man would have been home at 1:45 in the morning were they belong but no matter how you try and talk to people on here they are just a bunch of people thinking that hate is going to solve everything and it isn`t but hey GOD IS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF THIS AND WHAT HE WANTS TO COME OUT OF IT FOR BOTH FAMILIES!
A Faithful Believer

Bristol, TN

#74 Sep 3, 2012
Sanity102 wrote:
P.S. Your saying, "One thing like this happens, and you'd almost swear the world is coming to an end."...Well, honey OUR Tanner's life has come to an end and his family's life too, just in case you you haven't noticed. Therefore, it's hard for his family to put one foot infront of the other EVERY SINGLE DAY. Futhermore, Mr. Know-it-all you saying, "I can understand those being upset about the lose of Tanner, but holding a grudge against Micah will not find you at peace with yourself either."...since you know so much, please tell us how we're going to find peace. Because so far we have had to wake up EVERY SINGLE morning without our precious Tanner, unlike Micah's family, who still has him EVERY SINGLE day of his life! Also, I never knew of Tanner going at an astronomical speed and bragging about it to everyone he knew!!! I know that Tanner wasn't perfect (contrary to what we think, because we live in reality), but he was FAR from stupid!

Johnson City, TN

#75 Sep 3, 2012
A Faithful Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
P.S. Your saying, "One thing like this happens, and you'd almost swear the world is coming to an end."...Well, honey OUR Tanner's life has come to an end and his family's life too, just in case you you haven't noticed. Therefore, it's hard for his family to put one foot infront of the other EVERY SINGLE DAY. Futhermore, Mr. Know-it-all you saying, "I can understand those being upset about the lose of Tanner, but holding a grudge against Micah will not find you at peace with yourself either."...since you know so much, please tell us how we're going to find peace. Because so far we have had to wake up EVERY SINGLE morning without our precious Tanner, unlike Micah's family, who still has him EVERY SINGLE day of his life! Also, I never knew of Tanner going at an astronomical speed and bragging about it to everyone he knew!!! I know that Tanner wasn't perfect (contrary to what we think, because we live in reality), but he was FAR from stupid!
Okay 'faithful believer'. I'm assuming that relates to you being somewhat religious? Ever read the Bible or are you another one of these hypocrites in this small pathetic town as well? Thought so. So many verses in the Bible go over the topic of 'grudges'. You can Google them if you it'd make it easier on you. One day, hopefully, you will find the strength to forgive Micah. Like I said, I'm sure if he could take it back, he would in a millisecond. Also,'I never knew of Tanner going at astronomical speed and bragging about it to everyone he knew!!' Yeah, you never -knew- of it. I'm sure you didn't know a lot. Not many people truly know somebody, & if they do, chances are, it's normally the friends that see the true colors of a person. You can go on and on about how much you resent Micah for this event...blah blah blah. Instead, take the time to improve yourself. I'll be praying hard for you.
A Faithful Believer

Bristol, TN

#76 Sep 3, 2012
Sanity102 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay 'faithful believer'. I'm assuming that relates to you being somewhat religious? Ever read the Bible or are you another one of these hypocrites in this small pathetic town as well? Thought so. So many verses in the Bible go over the topic of 'grudges'. You can Google them if you it'd make it easier on you. One day, hopefully, you will find the strength to forgive Micah. Like I said, I'm sure if he could take it back, he would in a millisecond. Also,'I never knew of Tanner going at astronomical speed and bragging about it to everyone he knew!!' Yeah, you never -knew- of it. I'm sure you didn't know a lot. Not many people truly know somebody, & if they do, chances are, it's normally the friends that see the true colors of a person. You can go on and on about how much you resent Micah for this event...blah blah blah. Instead, take the time to improve yourself. I'll be praying hard for you.
Yes, you are correct in saying "Faithful Believer" relates to me being religious. Yes, I do pray that God takes the anger out of our hearts and helps us to forgive Micah someday. I don't think it's going to happen over night, but I pray that I get to that forgiveness point someday. However, in the meantime I'm sure that if the roles were reversed and Micah had killed one of your brothers, you'd be a little bit angry right now too! I'm pretty sure that the Bible speaks of judging others too...or have you forgotten that little tidbit, Ethan?

I'm sure that if Tanner has posted the pictures of his own speedometer going astronomically fast, then it would've came out and they haven't. Yes, we did know a lot!!! We also knew a lot about his friends. He told his family everything. Tanner was real with his family. Whether we agreed with it or not, he told it like it was. That's one of the exact qualities that I admired about him. He was always REAL with anyone who knew him. I don't see any true colors that you're bringing out about Tanner, so we must've seen him the exact same light...and I will be praying for you and yours also. You know my number, if you need to call me...

Johnson City, TN

#77 Sep 3, 2012
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about a DOOZY of what you choose to call a "mistake". It was ALL Micah's fault that he chose to drink, and then drive lke a heathen. I am 100% sure that Tanner did not expect Micah to speed, and drive ever so wrecklessly. Micah is the ONE who is totally responsible for all the pain he has caused. As for you thinking our wonderful town is pathetic, I would say to you "LEAVE"! It is too bad that Micah found his way to Elizabethton, from Nashville. Prayers for Tanner, and his wonderful family! May justice be served swiftly, and justly, in this case.
Did Micah put a gun to his head and pull the trigger? Push him off a cliff? No. It was a mistake. Why would Micah aim to hit a pole not knowing if it'd take his life as well? Unfortunately, Tanner lost his life. That's just the way the event played out. Like I stated before,-say- it was vice versa...since Tanner was such an amazing person and Micah clearly isn't, would Tanner be praised for such an act? Hell no. It'd be the same crap. I can see it now. You act like Micah was doing absolutely nothing with his life. He attended college and was ahead of everybody his age because of persistently taking summer courses. He also held down a stable job which is probably what more than most of you can say for yourself. This 'wonderful town' you speak of...mhmmm...please enlighten me and tell me why it is just so magnificent? Is it because it's a 'small knit town where everybody knows everyboy....great place to raise children....and a church every 30 feet?' I hope that's your answer because it'll make me laugh. Yeah, I live in a town where the biggest dream imaginable is to travel to Johnson City to work at the Medical Center. That's the limit. Nothing more....& those churches every 30 feet are full of nothing but hypocrites. There's a select few that try to live their life right, but as far as everybody else, it's a joke.

Johnson City, TN

#78 Sep 3, 2012
A Faithful Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are correct in saying "Faithful Believer" relates to me being religious. Yes, I do pray that God takes the anger out of our hearts and helps us to forgive Micah someday. I don't think it's going to happen over night, but I pray that I get to that forgiveness point someday. However, in the meantime I'm sure that if the roles were reversed and Micah had killed one of your brothers, you'd be a little bit angry right now too! I'm pretty sure that the Bible speaks of judging others too...or have you forgotten that little tidbit, Ethan?
I'm sure that if Tanner has posted the pictures of his own speedometer going astronomically fast, then it would've came out and they haven't. Yes, we did know a lot!!! We also knew a lot about his friends. He told his family everything. Tanner was real with his family. Whether we agreed with it or not, he told it like it was. That's one of the exact qualities that I admired about him. He was always REAL with anyone who knew him. I don't see any true colors that you're bringing out about Tanner, so we must've seen him the exact same light...and I will be praying for you and yours also. You know my number, if you need to call me...
First off, I have no idea why you are referring to me as 'Ethan'. I can assure you this is not the Ethan you speak of.

Yes, I agree with you. It will not happen overnight & if it were my brother, i'd be upset too. However, I would have enough common sense to realize that it wasn't intentional. Dwelling over something that can't be changed won't help. I'd like to see where you got that I was judging somebody in any of my comments...

Let me make another statement. Since Tanner never posted any 'bad pictures' on Facebook, that makes him innocent? Wrong. I find it funny how certain family members of Tanners asked of certain photos to be removed from his friends FB pages. Why? Because they were at parties & those pictures were worth a thousand words. That's all.
NYB

Kingsport, TN

#79 Sep 3, 2012
Catesfamilymember wrote:
I agree lots of prayer is needed.The child is dealing with probably more than he can handle right now.Prayers from all please.
friend

Matthews, NC

#80 Sep 3, 2012
why don;t you people stop being judge and jury pray for the tanner and the cates family
Kim Perkins

Jonesborough, TN

#81 Sep 3, 2012
Thank you so much sanity 102 for being such a friend to Tanner . I bet you didn't know the world does feel like it is coming to a end for us . I bet you didn't know I cry myself to sleep every night . I bet you didn't know that we yearn to hear his voice , yearn to touch him . Tanner was our only child and now he is gone . I just ask that you let us grieve our precious son in peace . PLEASE !!!
Tanner's mother
KristiLynn

Kingsport, TN

#82 Sep 3, 2012
Kim Perkins wrote:
Thank you so much sanity 102 for being such a friend to Tanner . I bet you didn't know the world does feel like it is coming to a end for us . I bet you didn't know I cry myself to sleep every night . I bet you didn't know that we yearn to hear his voice , yearn to touch him . Tanner was our only child and now he is gone . I just ask that you let us grieve our precious son in peace . PLEASE !!!
Tanner's mother
Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your son. I KNOW that Tanner was a nice, respectful, very well thought of, and much loved young man. Nobody has Micah's back because he was 100% in the wrong here. When a court date is set, can you please let all of us who loved Tanner know when it is so we can come in support of your family. We will all keep you in our prayers, and hope time will help to ease your pain.

Johnson City, TN

#83 Sep 3, 2012
Kim Perkins wrote:
Tanner's mother
I bet I had some idea of that. It's not like I've never lost a loved one in my life. My heart breaks for you and your family. My greatest sympathy for all of you. I was just making a point that Micah shouldn't be treated like an awful person. Tanner was his best friend. He messed up. True. But that does not make him any less than all of us.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#84 Sep 3, 2012
Why is everyone acting like morons? Think about how Micah feels... They were BEST friends. I can assure you, from being friends with both of them, that Tanner would NEVER want Micah to have to go through all of this. It was an accident. There is no reason why Micah should be punished so harshly. Put yourself in Micah's shoes...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RIP Dr perry 8 hr Travis 1
dr perry (Oct '10) 8 hr Travis 209
Still no horses allowed the Tweetsie Trail (Aug '14) 9 hr Wyatt Earp 69
Anniversary Haircut Day for EX Captain 9 hr jimbob 8
Adam townsend 12 hr v I v 1
Common core and islam 12 hr Funny 53
Coach Charlie Bayless (Sep '10) 17 hr Fred s 44
Elizabethton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web