One person killed in Milligan Highway...

One person killed in Milligan Highway crash

There are 372 comments on the The Elizabethton Star story from Aug 14, 2012, titled One person killed in Milligan Highway crash. In it, The Elizabethton Star reports that:

Captain Greg Workman of the Elizabethton Police Department said the crash in front of the Milligan Grocery was reported at 1:50 a.m. A small white car had struck the store's sign.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Elizabethton Star.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
elizabethton alumni 2009

Sevierville, TN

#1 Aug 14, 2012
Rip Tanner Perkins. Prayers for your family during this time. Prayers also to Micah Cates family. Hope Micah is strong and pulls through this. Will be praying for this family too.
Former Teacher

Bluff City, TN

#2 Aug 15, 2012
Another young man lost far too early in life. Praying for the Tanner Perkins family, Micah and the Cates family.
Tom

Johnson City, TN

#5 Aug 19, 2012
Micah will be charged with at least criminally negligent homicide; perhaps vehicular homicide.
Such a shame this happened to both families
Stacy

Kingsport, TN

#6 Aug 19, 2012
Tom wrote:
Micah will be charged with at least criminally negligent homicide; perhaps vehicular homicide.
Such a shame this happened to both families
I vote he gets charged with vehicular homicide. it is definitely a shame that Tanner was killed.
Amy

Kingsport, TN

#8 Aug 20, 2012
friend wrote:
Micah has a broke leg and Tanner was killed. Its something Micah had pics on his fb page bragging about his BMW going 120mph but the day he gets out of hospital it all gets deleted. I hope the judicial system does its job and puts him away for a long time but it still wont bring him back or isnt fair to the Perkins family.
I hope the Perkins family will sue, and get everything the Cates family has or ever hopes to have. The world lost a fine young man in Tanner. I also saw the Facebook page before it was taken down. It will be easy for an attorney to get all the Facebook information back. It is usually always the innocent person who gets killed, and the person at fault goes on to live his life as if nothing ever happened. I hope this case will be different, and that Micah's freedom will be taken away for his lifetime. If you saw some of the other "trash" on Micah's Facebook page,you know he WAS NOT of the same character as Tanner.
Enough

Johnson City, TN

#9 Aug 20, 2012
You people really need to stop now. Enough has been said.

One life was lost and his family is greiving.

Another life has been ruined. He will have to deal with all of this for the rest of his life. His life will never ba "normal" ever again, nor will his family.

It was a tragic accident..yes these teenagers were careless and the end result was tragic..this is not the first time this has happened nor will it be the last.

Many other teenagers act in similarly careless manners and luckily escape a situation like this, but just remember..any of your families could be touched this way at any time. Don't kid yourself into thinking nothing like this will ever happen in your family because it very well could.

Really, enough has been said..please stop commenting about this situation. Nothing you can say will change what has happened or make anything better.

If you have anyting to say, at least let it be constructive. Talk to some other teenagers in person about the dangers on the highway that many of them fail to take serioiusly. Help them to see the dangers that are really out there. Educate the young people you know about these things.

Hateful comments on a topix forum isn't doing any of those things.
doglover

Rupert, WV

#10 Aug 20, 2012
I so agree with you, Enough. Micah will be punished everyday he wakes up for what has happened to his friend. It very easily could have been the other way around. I just pray that these to families will find the peace that they need in Christ. He is the only one that can heal these broken hearts. May God be with both families.
redhed

Asheville, NC

#11 Aug 21, 2012
I agree with the last 2 posters. I have known Micah most of his life and as to his character, he is a fine young man. I have seen his "scandalous" pictures on FB and they aren't any different than what most kids his age post. He will be paying for this the rest of his life and retribution will not bring Tanner back. Both people voluntarily got in that car. My own son told me if something like this happens to him, that I promise I won't seek revenge because he was a willing participant and could just as easily been the other one driving.Oh and they can't "take everything the Cates have" because Micah is of age. I certainly hope none of you armchair lawyers never have something like this happen in your family, but it has been my experience that when I sit on my high horse and judge others, the universe has a way of smacking me in the face with it sooner or later.
Leah

Kingsport, TN

#12 Aug 21, 2012
The pictures on Micah's Facebook page were not the postings of a fine young man. That is ridiculous! The first newspaper account of the accident said there was drug paraphanalia in the car. I hope they tested Micah to see what was in his system at the time of the accident. I am sure Tanner didn't expect Micah to be driving over 80 MPH on the narrow road where he wrecked. I do not, for a minute, believe Tanner would have been driving so irresponsibly were the situation reversed. Tanner WAS the fine young man with a bright future ahead of him. Micah was adopted, right?
friend

Johnson City, TN

#13 Aug 21, 2012
I pray everyone can find peace during this terrible time.

I have known the perkins family for many years, tanner was a great guy. The perkins family IS NOT about revenge, they just want the truth about how their son died. I watched a mother and father bury their only son. No one can understand their pain, unless you can walked in their shoes.(redhed) you do not know how you would act if it was your son that you had to bury. So please respect this family.

I am so tired of hearing people say tanner got the car voluntarily, it was his choice. That decision cost him his LIFE. We do not need to hear that anymore. PLEASE respect the perkins family.

so many lives have been destroyed.
Seriously

Cleveland, TN

#14 Aug 21, 2012
To Leah, You're a MORON.... Adopted???!!! and exactly what would that have to do with this situation? Please answer that question because I'm sure everyone on here wants to know. Let me see he was adopted so that means he came from bad "genes" and being "adopted" makes him a bad person, blah blah blah. I didn't know the Perkins family but the Cates are fine people and believe it or not even though he was "adopted" Micah was a good kid as well. Give it a rest!!!!!!!!!
CCHS

Johnson City, TN

#15 Aug 21, 2012
I really find it disturbing that some people choose to judge others. I truly hope and pray that something as tragic as losing a child, never happens in your family; or someone in your family has an accident and the person with them loses their life as a result. I don't know either one of these boys but my heart goes out to both families, their lives will never be the same. Also, to make comments about someones character because they were adopted or blame the parents for not raising them the right way is just plain ignorance....be careful what you say, it could be you that will be the next post on topix.
Hope

Kingsport, TN

#16 Aug 21, 2012
I believe you need to ask Rosemary, the last ex-stepmother of Jill, what type person Jill is. From what I understand Jill was the cause of the divorce of Rosemary, and her many times married father. As for bad genes, perhaps, who knows. I think everyone understands Micah is adopted since his Facebook page showed him to be of another race. I do know the Perkins family is the FINE family here. Please stay off here taking up for Micah! He will go on to live his life, but Tanner is GONE!
friend

Johnson City, TN

#17 Aug 21, 2012
To Leah, you are NOT a moron. you sound very angry about tanner's death. I am very upset also, tanner was a great guy and very laid back person. He would not want anger to consume you.

you have to trust the police department and the DA's office to follow the law. Let them decide what should happen next. the truth always wins in the end.

May God bless you with peace
A Faithful Believer

Ringgold, GA

#18 Aug 21, 2012
The thing about this awful situation is that ultimately, God called Tanner home. It doesn't change the fact that Tanner's family is grieving beyond anything imaginable. Tanner was their only son. They will never see Tanner graduate, get married, or have a grandchild. However, on the other hand, Micah, he was wreckless. Examples of this were displayed on his facebook page before he took it down. I do realize that Micah will have to live with this for the rest of his life. However, Tanner's family will also have to live with this the rest of their life too. Tanner was a very responsible young man. He lived life to the fullest. He was goal oriented and driven. He wasn't perfect by any means. Still yet, he was almost perfect in most people's eyes.**I do stress the word almost!** I hope this does turn Micah's life around, as well as, a few other of Tanner's so called friends. Many of them were and are headed down the wrong paths. We must witness to them and lead them in the right direction. Also, if Micah and Tanner's other so called friends feel so guilty and love him so much, I hope they tell the TRUTH about what happened that day and morning that God called Tanner home.
P.S. If you want to see an eye opener, go by and take a look at the wreck sight. I would suggest that Micah and the other so called friends go by and spend about 30 minutes really observing what the wreck sight looks like. It might really open their eyes. I am not trying to bash anyone, but I pray that Micah and the rest of the crew have an eye opening moment before it's too late.
friend

Johnson City, TN

#19 Aug 21, 2012
I totally agree with you. I do hope this boys get a wake up call. I have spoke to a few of them to please take to heart what has happen.

the night of tanner's funeral, some the boys were in so much pain. it broke my heart, But at the same time
I am glad they felt the pain. Just maybe it will save one of their lives.
Catesfamilymembe r

United States

#20 Aug 21, 2012
Really people is this all you have to do is get on here and stir in peoples lives I mean really one is gone and one is hurting and to HOPE and LEAH you are just plain disturbed being adopted is not the issue nor topic here and Jill is a fine person thier family is nothing to you. How many times her father has been married. So to sum it up keep my family's names out of your mouth you are no judge. why dont you take the time you are using to run people in the ground and pray for both families. I usually don't reply to ignorant stuff but this is family. I will be praying for both families and you people and myself for letting this ignorance get to me.God will do what is right this is a part of a plan he has for both families.
friend

United States

#21 Aug 21, 2012
you guys need to get a life and leave
friend

United States

#22 Aug 21, 2012
you people need to leave the cates and perkins family alone and as for jill you canot find a better person.take a look at yourself before you judge someone else
If you knew the truth

Johnson City, TN

#23 Aug 22, 2012
First of all, its very sad to see such disturbing things on here about Micah. If any of you truly knew him you wouldn't speak this way. With part of his leg bone missing Micah crawled out of the car and tried to get to Tanner to help him. Micah may not have been perfect by any means, but none of us are. Micah and the Cates family are hurting just as much as Tanner's family. Its difficult for all, family and friends. Stop trashing the Cates family, they have more than enough on their plates and most definitely do not need this added. And what does it matter if Micah was adopted or not, it has NOTHING to do with this tragic incident that occured in his life. I hope and pray for the Perkins and Cates family, and hope they each have peace one day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Know it all 3 hr Ricky 3
Josh Scalf is a con artist 3 hr Ricky 35
Swimming lessons 4 hr Born2Swim 2
Hub of music festivals and drug activity 6 hr Sa-ten 3
Teenagers dealing drugs at the covered bridge 6 hr Truth 5
Who is she? (Feb '16) 14 hr G-money 3
Found Cat 15 hr Ricky 3

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance