huh

Jonesborough, TN

#42 Nov 7, 2012
benny hill wrote:
<quoted text>just quit your job also let the mexicans work they can handle it ,while we draw a check, give obama every thing he wants and ask for the debt aint high enough yet ,thats what its going to take before they realize obama isnt the solution he has got to bring this country to its knees first then maybe someone can straighten it out if there is a country left.....
youre stupid as hell
benny hill

Newland, NC

#43 Nov 7, 2012
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
youre stupid as hell
well i guess if im stupid as hell then everyone else that voted for obama is to then huh.........
No More

Chatsworth, GA

#44 Nov 7, 2012
Social Security and medicare are not entitlements they are funded programs that has served this nation well. Medicaid is an entitlement.
No More

Chatsworth, GA

#45 Nov 7, 2012
durrr that is what is so funny everyone around here is on entitlements free breakfast for kids free lunchs. Food stamps, medicaid help with energy costs. Disability thats the big 1. They still complain about what everyone gets for free and vote for there gopers. Its so funny.
durr

Jonesborough, TN

#46 Nov 7, 2012
No More wrote:
durrr that is what is so funny everyone around here is on entitlements free breakfast for kids free lunchs. Food stamps, medicaid help with energy costs. Disability thats the big 1. They still complain about what everyone gets for free and vote for there gopers. Its so funny.
Yea, the highest form of hypocrisy and they're too stupid and uneducated to even realize it.
what tha

Chattanooga, TN

#47 Nov 7, 2012
Man Benny hill your as pissed as i am! Didn't think it was possible!!! Lol not laughing at the circumstances our country just got put in but you sir are cracking me up!
Bullwinkle J Moose

Knoxville, TN

#48 Nov 7, 2012
Thinking man I am glad my vote took care of yours. Now you can go ahead and stroke out. If your rant stops in mid sentence we will know the big one got you?????
John Cameron

Elizabethton, TN

#49 Nov 7, 2012
independent wrote:
I think this election will go down as the last straw of a great country. When all of the people on the public dole see that they sold their vote for a check it will be too late. How many of the young voters will rise to defend our country like WWII. Not many. Obama isn't smart enough to know what he doesn't know. The population is under government control already. What if government checks stopped tomorrow? There would be panic. No jobs to find. What would happen? When our government spends us into a hole that we can't climb out of then that will happen. Food rationing? Well all that has to happen now is for them to flip a switch and it will say how many loaves of bread you can get, etc. This is not very far fetched. What Romney wanted was to return us to a strong country. Personal reliance is what we need to strive for now. Really think about what he is offering.
What Romney wanted was to hogtie us completely while he fills his deep pockets. I am thrilled he lost! Thrilled. Read a newer posting I just put up about the sh*% that really goes on behind citizens knowledge.
just me

Kingsport, TN

#50 Nov 7, 2012
I rely only on FACTS. So far, it doesn't look so good.

NEW YORK, Nov 7 (Reuters)- U.S. stocks fell more than 2 percent on Wednesday, putting the S&P 500 on track for its biggest drop since June, as investors shifted their focus to a looming fiscal showdown in Congress after President Barack Obama's re-election.

Energy, healthcare and the banking sectors were among the hardest hit after Obama defeated Republican Mitt Romney, whose policy positions favored those industries. Defense shares also plunged.

Adding to the weaker sentiment were renewed worries about economic troubles in Europe, a key market for many U.S. companies. The euro zone economy will barely grow next year but pick up in 2014, the European Commission said. The region's economy would grow only 0.1 percent in 2013 after a bigger than previously forecast contraction this year.

"Traders on the floor are thinking, before the election President Obama wasn't able to resolve the fiscal cliff so what makes you think he's going to be able to do it after the election? That's the big issue right now," said Todd Schoenberger, managing principal at the BlackBay Group in New York.

The Dow Jones industrial average was down 329.86 points, or 2.49 percent, at 12,915.82. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was down 36.03 points, or 2.52 percent, at 1,392.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index was down 76.72 points, or 2.55 percent, at 2,935.21. The S&P 500 also below the key 1,400 level for the first time since Sept. 4.

Wednesday's drop is a reversal from the prior session's gains when voting was under way. Defense and energy shares were among the market leaders that day.

"The market is telling us that it was pricing in the potential for a Romney victory, based upon the rally over the past few days," said Phil Orlando, chief market strategist for equities at Federated Investors Inc of Pittsburgh.
Anonymous

Johnson City, TN

#51 Nov 8, 2012
Uncle Wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Obama is your president and you would be smart to get behind him.
Beck is a deranged person
obama will never be the president of the United States,WE are and have been a Divided States since goofy got elected four yrs ago.
When half of the country disapprove and the other half approves that called DIVIDED.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#52 Nov 8, 2012
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure where you get your info. Oil company subsidies are nothing more than tax breaks which go back into the oil companies bottom line (i.e. profit). The do not pay for any of those things you mentioned. The Strategic Oil Reserve is maintained by the DOE, thus the taxpayer. The tax exemption for farm fuel is like any other individual tax exemption and has nothing to do with oil companies. And the LIHEAP is a government funded program (part of HHS) so is also paid for by the taxpayers.....
No, they do not pay for the programs, however; they do provide the oil for those programs at a reduced price....ergo, the tax exemption. Ask any Democrat if they want the exemption to go away...and you will get a resounding NO...Why? Because a lot of people benefit from these exemptions...and the oil industry is not the only one. Most major corporations are given tax exemptions for providing goods/services at a reduced price to the private sector if there is a gov't program enticing them to do so. People enjoying those reduced rates are on both sides of the aisle...and it will take a major overhaul in the tax code to eliminate these subsidies (see John Boehner's comments in yesterday's news). The Dems and Repubs both know that without subsidies to private companies...gov't entitlement programs come to a screeching halt.

Location hidden

#53 Nov 8, 2012
Bullwinkle J Moose wrote:
Thinking man I am glad my vote took care of yours. Now you can go ahead and stroke out. If your rant stops in mid sentence we will know the big one got you?????
It will take more than a Topix post to get me to stroke out. I know and accept Topix for what it is (only wish it was used more for what it was intended). And we know that the only way that would happen is if Topix required all posters to register with their real name. But I kind of like the anonymity because I get to witness people portray something other than their true character. As for me, what you get on Topix is what you get from me, face-to-face. I am just as passionate about protecting your ability to post here on Topix (in whatever way that you choose) as I am about my own. Because at the end of the day, it is still my choice to read your post or not...and that my friend is why I choose to participate in this type of forum.

Location hidden

#54 Nov 8, 2012
just me wrote:
NEW YORK, Nov 7 (Reuters)- U.S. stocks fell more than 2 percent on Wednesday, putting the S&P 500 on track for its biggest drop since June, as investors shifted their focus to a looming fiscal showdown in Congress after President Barack Obama's re-election.
Energy, healthcare and the banking sectors were among the hardest hit after Obama defeated Republican Mitt Romney, whose policy positions favored those industries. Defense shares also plunged.
Adding to the weaker sentiment were renewed worries about economic troubles in Europe, a key market for many U.S. companies. The euro zone economy will barely grow next year but pick up in 2014, the European Commission said. The region's economy would grow only 0.1 percent in 2013 after a bigger than previously forecast contraction this year.
"Traders on the floor are thinking, before the election President Obama wasn't able to resolve the fiscal cliff so what makes you think he's going to be able to do it after the election? That's the big issue right now," said Todd Schoenberger, managing principal at the BlackBay Group in New York.
The Dow Jones industrial average was down 329.86 points, or 2.49 percent, at 12,915.82. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was down 36.03 points, or 2.52 percent, at 1,392.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index was down 76.72 points, or 2.55 percent, at 2,935.21. The S&P 500 also below the key 1,400 level for the first time since Sept. 4.
Wednesday's drop is a reversal from the prior session's gains when voting was under way. Defense and energy shares were among the market leaders that day.
"The market is telling us that it was pricing in the potential for a Romney victory, based upon the rally over the past few days," said Phil Orlando, chief market strategist for equities at Federated Investors Inc of Pittsburgh.
I posted this yesterday in another Topix forum:

There was a giant gushing sound heard all over the world today. And for those who are not sure of what it was...it was the sound of all of the wealthy's money being flushed out of this country into a foreign tax shelter. The wealthy did not get that way by loving to pay higher taxes...it is rather the opposite.

That being said...I hope that both the Pres. and Congress can get to work on fixing the issues that are coming at breakneck speed. American companies need to see some stability in our gov't process or they will continue to do as they have done for the last 3 years...hold onto their cash and wait for better days to come.

So, just for kicks, what happens to you personally if the "fiscal cliff" is not averted. For all Americans that are employed, on Jan. 2nd, 2013, you will take a 2% reduction in your gross pay because the payroll tax (Soc. Sec.) goes back to the 6.2% level from the current 4.2%. The tax cuts enacted in 2001-2003 go away also while at the same time you will experience the beginning of the taxes related to ObamaCare. The business that you work for will also experience the end of certain tax breaks. Adding to all of this, we have forced cuts in spending for over 1000 gov't programs including Defense and MediCare.

America is counting on our elected leaders to "do the right thing" for this country. Put aside the political posturing that can be used for re-election purposes...America is at the point of not being able to afford the inaction of politicians.
ccnative

Johnson City, TN

#55 Nov 8, 2012
If you think Obama is not filling his pockets then you really are living in a dream world! Except he is too inexperienced to know better. He is the puppet president. We have seen how he thinks in the first debate. He can not think. If he doesn't have a teleprompter he can't talk. We need leadership. Look at Jimmy Quillen, he like anyone in that position, got rich. But he took care of the citizens. Look at all the people in our area on Welfare, disability and food stamps. The Social Security System is going broke because of disability. An entire industry of lawyers has sprang up to make sure "folks get on disability." 8.6 million people last year. You don't have to be the sharpest knife in the drawer to see why it is going broke. No one is working and putting in and everybody thinks they should "get a check." If we aren't careful we will go back to taking care of our old folks at home with NO check.
Welfare--One kid is all that should be helped. I know women that make that their career. They have a child with a dead beat Dad every 10 years and she is set for life. When one gets 18 she has another one there to continue the check. The 18 years old has been diagnosed with some "disability" (ADHD and the like) so he starts his own family off with a check. It has become a legacy for people. Not hard work, self-reliance and pride, but a check. This weakens our country. Also if there was no welfare, where would people work? and are we getting educated? No, because the children do not see the need for education. As long as they can apply for their check they don't need anything else. WE have to change this. It is apparent Obama will not.
BOLOGNA

Kingsport, TN

#56 Nov 8, 2012
its easy to blame someone else for you short-comings, you got to remember bush did not have the easiest term. but here is something to ponder on since the vote keep us at the status-quo. there are 308 million and change people that live in the US. there are 216 million people that pay taxes. there are another 91 million that has no tax liability, now that includes the to old and young and the disabled. now here is tricky part. it will cost 3.6 trillion to keep the goverment running. the projected tax revenue for 2013 is 2.9 trillion. Obama wants to do a debt reduction of 1.2 trillion which makes the total budget of 4.8 trillion dollars. now some of you thats good in math figure out how they will manage that. he added in the 4 years he's been in office 6 trillion more dollars to the national debt. if you confiscated all the money from everyone that makes a million dollars a year it would not run the goverment for a month. oh by the way for the 216 million tax payers each trillion is $4610.00 so multiply that by 4.8 and you will know how much to write that check for. and another thing did anybody see the dow today, down over 300 points

Location hidden

#57 Nov 8, 2012
Uncle Wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
What if the checks stopped to the oil companies. Do you think they would be looking for a loaf of bread?
Corporate welfare is a lot more expensive than welfare.
The checks that go to the people go right back into the economy. where does corporate welfare go?
Here is a lesson on how subsidies/tax exemptions work. This is not money that is being paid to individuals/corporations to make them more rich than they already are. This is a return of money that has already been paid into the treasury in the form of some type of taxation by the individuals/corporations.

For example:

I made $100 on Jan. 1, 2011. Of that, I paid $20 to the gov't for my tax bill. In Feb. 2012, I filed my taxes with a claim for 1 subsidy/exemption and the gov't sent me a check for $5 return.

That does not mean that I made an additional $5 in total income ($105)...it means that I got back $5 from the original $20 that I paid in. And this is $5 that I lost the use of for spending purposes for all of 2011. This is the exact same thing that happens on the corporate level when companies file their taxes.

The aim of every individual come tax season is to "lower" their tax bill. If H&R does not get you every subsidy/exemption/deduction that you are entitled to...are you just going to say "Oh, well...Uncle Same needs it more than I do"...of course not...you will get fired up against H&R.

The same happens on the corporate level. The accountants at those businesses HAVE to take advantage of EVERY subsidy/exemption/deduction that is allowed by the current tax code OR risk losing their job. You cannot fault a corporation for having the same tax goal as every American citizen...which is to pay the least that they can.

So how do you correct this type of situation...reform the tax code...which is just as big a can of worms as reforming Soc. Sec. A "flat rate tax" system has been bandied about for years but I am not sure if that would ever fly without a national sales tax. There is a huge bureaucracy in Washington that exists because of the complicated tax code. And know this about bureaucracies...they are very adept at doing anything and everything to ensure their continued longevity.

Obama and Congress have a very tough road ahead...and Dems, Repubs and Indeps need to realize that "doing nothing" is not an option. Americans, as a whole, are demanding that Washington get its house in order...and it doesn't matter your age, gender or party affiliation...the citizens deserve more consideration than they have received over the last 10 years.
what tha

Jonesville, SC

#58 Nov 8, 2012
ThinkinMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a lesson on how subsidies/tax exemptions work. This is not money that is being paid to individuals/corporations to make them more rich than they already are. This is a return of money that has already been paid into the treasury in the form of some type of taxation by the individuals/corporations.
For example:
I made $100 on Jan. 1, 2011. Of that, I paid $20 to the gov't for my tax bill. In Feb. 2012, I filed my taxes with a claim for 1 subsidy/exemption and the gov't sent me a check for $5 return.
That does not mean that I made an additional $5 in total income ($105)...it means that I got back $5 from the original $20 that I paid in. And this is $5 that I lost the use of for spending purposes for all of 2011. This is the exact same thing that happens on the corporate level when companies file their taxes.
The aim of every individual come tax season is to "lower" their tax bill. If H&R does not get you every subsidy/exemption/deduction that you are entitled to...are you just going to say "Oh, well...Uncle Same needs it more than I do"...of course not...you will get fired up against H&R.
The same happens on the corporate level. The accountants at those businesses HAVE to take advantage of EVERY subsidy/exemption/deduction that is allowed by the current tax code OR risk losing their job. You cannot fault a corporation for having the same tax goal as every American citizen...which is to pay the least that they can.
So how do you correct this type of situation...reform the tax code...which is just as big a can of worms as reforming Soc. Sec. A "flat rate tax" system has been bandied about for years but I am not sure if that would ever fly without a national sales tax. There is a huge bureaucracy in Washington that exists because of the complicated tax code. And know this about bureaucracies...they are very adept at doing anything and everything to ensure their continued longevity.
Obama and Congress have a very tough road ahead...and Dems, Repubs and Indeps need to realize that "doing nothing" is not an option. Americans, as a whole, are demanding that Washington get its house in order...and it doesn't matter your age, gender or party affiliation...the citizens deserve more consideration than they have received over the last 10 years.
Hey Thinkin Man......I like your thoughts.....just something nice to ya weed out some bashing! KEEP THINKIN!!! YOUR thoughts amaze me that their are some with some sense in this town!!!!!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#59 Nov 8, 2012
ThinkinMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have some numbers to back up your claims?
The Democratic party is forgetting one really important fact: The business of America is BUSINESS. Doesn't matter if you like it or not...that is the truth. Oil companies are no different than any other company...they will take all of the "free" money in tax exemptions that they can get. And if I am not mistaken, Obama has had 4 years to end subsidies to oil companies and the like...but it has not happened.
Why? because the oil company subsidies are used to fund the following:
1. The Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which protects the U.S. from oil shortages.
2. Tax exemptions for farm fuel because most farm equipment is not used on the highways.
3. Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
Both Dems and Repubs alike see the need for most of the oil company subsidies and the ones listed are probably the 3 largest. This is not money going into a rich man's pocket...it is a tax exemption on a price reduction. Kind of like a dependent exemption on your personal income tax filing...if you don't take the exemption...you get less money back on my return (meaning your tax bill goes UP)...but that is money that I have already paid in...so the gov't is not doing me any favors if I let them keep the money ...so I claim the exemption to lower my tax bill. Lowering your tax bill, whether personal or business, is not the wrong thing to do...it just makes good sense.
Here are the numbers, The oil companies received 280 billion in subsidies between 2008 and 2010 during the same time food stamps cost 142 billion.
The 142 billion went straight into the economy. Where did the 280 billion go?
Welfare aint the problem until it goes to Oil companies. They have a monopoly on the economy. We have to develop the technology to move people without oil.

Location hidden

#60 Nov 8, 2012
what tha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Thinkin Man......I like your thoughts.....just something nice to ya weed out some bashing! KEEP THINKIN!!! YOUR thoughts amaze me that their are some with some sense in this town!!!!!
Thanks for the Shout Out. Occasionally you can come across some posters here that will have an intelligent debate with you...posters like "Elmer Gantry", "HillBillyBoy" and "Newcomer". And even if you don't agree with them, as long as you refrain from name calling and bullying, then they (and others) will continue to discourse with you in a civil manner.

On a forum such as this, you cannot expect everyone to agree with your ideas and opinions...but you can usually learn something when you are "respectfully disagreeing" than you can thru intimidation. Topix is not a place for posters to try and change someone's mind on an issue...it is a place to express your views/ideas on an issue and to discuss your differences with others. At least that is my take on what Topix means...I enjoy reading varying degrees of poster's ideas...especially if they can provide a link to some additional reading/video of the topic.

Having a healthy debate on today's issues can be productive if poster's have the mindset to be respectful and understanding of everyone's views. Being respectful and understanding doesn't mean that you agree with someone else's opinion...it is simply showing a willingness to listen...and listening in today's world is becoming a lost art. Think about that the next time that you want to call someone an "idiot" or a "moron".
what tha

Jonesville, SC

#61 Nov 8, 2012
ThinkinMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the Shout Out. Occasionally you can come across some posters here that will have an intelligent debate with you...posters like "Elmer Gantry", "HillBillyBoy" and "Newcomer". And even if you don't agree with them, as long as you refrain from name calling and bullying, then they (and others) will continue to discourse with you in a civil manner.
On a forum such as this, you cannot expect everyone to agree with your ideas and opinions...but you can usually learn something when you are "respectfully disagreeing" than you can thru intimidation. Topix is not a place for posters to try and change someone's mind on an issue...it is a place to express your views/ideas on an issue and to discuss your differences with others. At least that is my take on what Topix means...I enjoy reading varying degrees of poster's ideas...especially if they can provide a link to some additional reading/video of the topic.
Having a healthy debate on today's issues can be productive if poster's have the mindset to be respectful and understanding of everyone's views. Being respectful and understanding doesn't mean that you agree with someone else's opinion...it is simply showing a willingness to listen...and listening in today's world is becoming a lost art. Think about that the next time that you want to call someone an "idiot" or a "moron".
Well I respect your opinions,views,etc.....because they sir are the same as mine!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carter County Schools priorities 28 min Priorities 2
Cowgirls Grill 1 hr Old Timer 1
Mapes Piano String Co. (Aug '13) 3 hr Melrachelle 67
senior care (Apr '14) 3 hr Melrachelle 17
brittney knight?? 5 hr Brad A 21
enough is enough brittney knight!! 6 hr Brad A 26
BRITTNEY KNIGHT is Sexiest Woman in east TN 6 hr Brad A 13
Elizabethton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Elizabethton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:11AM
Which Panthers Free Agents Will Return in 2015?
NBC Sports 6:32 AM
Panthers G.M. on Cam Newton: "We want him here. I want him here"
NBC Sports 3:31 PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl