TA Dugger Teacher Mr. Davis
notmuch

Johnson City, TN

#162 May 27, 2010
jimbob wrote:
<quoted text>Grass has 50% more injuries then the new safety field turf. The problem with the field at Elizabethton field is with 3 highschool, 2 jr high school, 8 boys and girls club football teams, 4 highschool and 2 jr high soccer teams, and 2 marching bands powder puff all using the field at the same time there is no grass. This is about Davis the field will be paid for by the fans.
Right on! I do not live in Eliabethton but I followed the Roper/Ed mess with the Ward woman leading the band. Thought justice was served when Ed won but must have been dead wrong. The power of the people can work wonders if they stand together, he should have learned that when he returned to the position he wanted. He can now be removed the same way as can the three board members that jump to his jerk.
Would it have been wrong if he had said hey, this is why he was let go? If he can make it public in his office why can't he to the public?
I don't know Mr. Davis but that doesn't matter, Right is right and Wrong is wrong. With all the folks that have gone to bat for Davis he must be pretty good. So I say go people go and stand for the right.
Game On

Johnson City, TN

#163 May 27, 2010
Hey Pooter, Who's your Daddy! Eddie boy, can't hide for long!!! You are both SO narcisistic! Very Sick men with bully mentalities! Amazed and appalled! Booher join Pooter and Eddie Boy and go back to where you came from with your tails between your legs crying cause you didn't get your way! Oh and Lets not forget Kimmie po! What a giant wimp! No need to run for sherrif! You as well as Pooter and Eddie Boy and Booher the B are ruined! RUINED I TELL YA!
Agree

Kingsport, TN

#164 May 27, 2010
Grindstaff, parents stand up for teacher
By John Thompson
Elizabethton Bureau Chief
[email protected]
ELIZABETHTON — Businessman Steve Grindstaff and several parents of T.A. Dugger Jr. High School students and friends spoke out angrily at Wednesday’s meeting of the Elizabethton City School Board about last month’s decision not to rehire teacher Tim Davis.
One board member, Catherine Armstrong, told the audience she believes Davis may technically have tenure and still a member of the faculty because his name had already been approved for tenure in the March meeting.
The controversy began a month ago when the board approved a list of non-tenured teachers who Superintendent Ed Alexander would not rehire for the next year. Davis was one of the teachers on the list.
The action led to T.A. Dugger students holding a before-school protest rally earlier this month. The students dressed in camouflage in support of Davis, who decorates his classroom in the stealthy patterns.
The parents and Grindstaff continued the protest of the student’s on Wednesday, during the time set aside in the board meeting for citizens to comment.
“I am here for the students,” Grindstaff said.“When someone is wronged, someone has to stand up for him.”
Grindstaff said there is nothing derogatory in Davis’ personnel file and the board should reinstate the teacher.
Sharon Lynch said she admired Davis because he treated all students with the same courtesy and respect, whatever their background. She said her son learned good moral values from Davis in the classroom and as a coach on the football field.
Another parent, Darlene Moore, said Davis taught his students integrity and morals.
Susan Peters, a retired teacher who volunteers at Harold McCormick, compared the current controversy to what happened five years ago when then-director of schools David Roper removed then-principal Alexander from Elizabethton High School and transferred him to the Siam alternative school.
Peters said the justification for the non rehiring of Davis was that it was for the good of the school system. She said such an explanation is given “when the real explanation cannot stand the light of day.” She said such actions “create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation” such as was present five years ago.
Peters then said the board had approved the recommendation to grant tenure to Davis on March 30. During the April meeting she said the board approved a correction to the March 30 minutes, removing Davis from the list of teachers recommended for tenure to the list of teachers not to be rehired.
Peters said Robert Rules of Order allows corrections to the minutes only for minor errors, not for a major discrepancy.
Alexander addressed the audience during the time for citizens to speak said “I have not forgotten how I was treated five years ago.” He said students had not been given all the facts about the decision. He said he only eight parents and one grandparent had come to him to learn the facts. He said Davis’ classroom teaching had nothing to do with the decision not to retain him.
“I don’t deserve to be let go,” Davis said during the open discussion.“I do my job.”
Davis had already taught 10 years in Sullivan County before coming to Elizabethton and had been named state teacher of the year by the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Armstrong also spoke during the time for citizens to speak and said “he is the kind of teacher I would want my own children to have.” She said she examined his personnel file and found it contained “such good evaluations.”
Armstrong brought up the Davis decision when the board had to approve the minutes of the April meeting, which include the removal of Davis’ name from the tenured list and addition to the non rehire list that Peters had mentioned.
Agree

Kingsport, TN

#165 May 27, 2010
Peters said Robert Rules of Order allows corrections to the minutes only for minor errors, not for a major discrepancy.

Alexander addressed the audience during the time for citizens to speak said “I have not forgotten how I was treated five years ago.” He said students had not been given all the facts about the decision. He said he only eight parents and one grandparent had come to him to learn the facts. He said Davis’ classroom teaching had nothing to do with the decision not to retain him.

“I don’t deserve to be let go,” Davis said during the open discussion.“I do my job.”

Davis had already taught 10 years in Sullivan County before coming to Elizabethton and had been named state teacher of the year by the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Armstrong also spoke during the time for citizens to speak and said “he is the kind of teacher I would want my own children to have.” She said she examined his personnel file and found it contained “such good evaluations.”

Armstrong brought up the Davis decision when the board had to approve the minutes of the April meeting, which include the removal of Davis’ name from the tenured list and addition to the non rehire list that Peters had mentioned.

Armstrong said she has discussed the matter with a lawyer and she believes that Davis received tenure in March. She said if he had been tenured, then it would mean he could only be removed by following the board policy on separating tenured teachers.

She then moved to remove the corrections in the April minutes, which would remove Davis from the list of teachers not to be rehired.

Chairman Matt Cooter said the board’s own attorney should be consulted on the matter and Armstrong’s motion was tabled.

Despite the maneuvers, Davis said after the meeting that he will have to begin looking for another job and planned to clear out his classroom today.
Sammy Williams

Kingsport, TN

#166 May 27, 2010
""Chairman Matt Cooter said the board’s own attorney should be consulted on the matter and Armstrong’s motion was tabled.""
With all the people talking about this and the students protesting and all you would think the school board chairman would have talked to the attorney ahead of time, Mrs. Armstrong took time to pull and listen to the school board meeting tape and did not hear Mr Alexander object to coach Davis getting tenure. It seems like the chairman of the school board should have been a little more prepared.
No More

Jonesborough, TN

#167 May 27, 2010
Why do they have to talk to the attorney, quit being a p%S^y and make a decision. Cooter has always been a whimp. Are we the people not ECA boss did we not elect Cooter so we are the boss not the person we pay. who is in charge if the school board chairman is not in charge. What is ECA going to do sue the board for over turning a decision he made, which by the way should not be his alone to make. There should be more than one making that decision. And what was Mrs. Armstrong talking about when she said they had already granted him tenure, I thought that was aboard decision. If we do not unelect the 3 blind morons we are the dumb ones. Last time we put them back in so everyone must be happy.
No More

Jonesborough, TN

#168 May 27, 2010
He was let go for the good of the school system. What kind of code speak is that, so he was a danger to the whole system.He would have brought us to a point lower than we are at in 2010. There is a few people who need to be let go for the good of the system. Ed A., Cooter , Booher and Birchfield and the VanHuss's are just a few that need to go Bye Bye. This would be a great start.
mimi

Ringgold, GA

#169 May 27, 2010
No More wrote:
He was let go for the good of the school system. What kind of code speak is that, so he was a danger to the whole system.He would have brought us to a point lower than we are at in 2010. There is a few people who need to be let go for the good of the system. Ed A., Cooter , Booher and Birchfield and the VanHuss's are just a few that need to go Bye Bye. This would be a great start.
I agree with you on the Vanhuss' but the MR> better be checkin on his MRS. at West Side.
Alexander needs to Go

Johnson City, TN

#170 May 27, 2010
tpost11 wrote:
ed think since he has the guy pants he thinks he can run it like roper and hopefull people will open their eyes and give him a taste of what roper got. very nice man to your face but watch your back cause he will be standing with his possy running his mouth. if he was so called professional why did he not give a reason and not be like a child and find every way around it. Everyone stood up for this man when he was gettin booted but i can promise when he goes to be put out again ill be front in line to make sure he stays out. this so called christian is a freakin joke. As a registered voter and EHS graduate i think we need to have a recall election and oust the LEAD PUPPET MASTER AND HIS PUPPETS!!
This HAS to happen if this school system is to survive-Even the TV and papers see it!!!!!!!The younger female board member looked like she was having her nails done, she was so bored! Who is she? Does she even have a job?? What is her deal? She is OBVIOUSLY one of the puppets1 What a sad example for the females!!!!!Go get your nails done, honey! You're not ready to play with the other 2 gals! They ROCK!!!!!!What guts it took for them-Don't you have any??????
Alexander needs to Go

Johnson City, TN

#171 May 27, 2010
still hopeful wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a pretty lengthy meeting. Watch the 11 o'clock news tonight for a synopsis. WJHL was there for the whole meeting and interviewed Mr. Davis at the end. Also, keep an eye on the city schools website for a posting of the date/location of the next meeting. They are scheduling a meeting before the next regularly scheduled meeting to determine Mr. Davis' future with Elizabethton city schools (IF he should even want one)....it's not over yet. All I can say is, Mrs. Armstrong is a Saint!
AMEN! She is one tough, smart, awesome lady!!!!!!!I am so proud!!!! Have any of you all felt proud of our Administration lately????!!! I can't even see how!
Alexander needs to Go

Johnson City, TN

#172 May 27, 2010
save davis wrote:
wow Mrs Armstrong caught Matt Cooter and the rest of the board in a flat out lie. They added Coach Davis name to the list after the board voted to give him tenure at the April meeting. Then Ed tried to add him to the nonhire list later and Cooter tried to say it was omitted in error. But Davis decision about the nonhire came after the meeting. Mrs Armstrong went back and played the tape of the meeting. There was no mention of Davis on the tape. The only way to remove a tenured teacher is a vote of the board. She made a motion to remove the fake part of the April minutes and grant Davis his tenure and Booher, Cooter and Burchfield flipped out, they wanted their lawyer. They wanted to table Armstrong and Baker wanted a vote tonight. The big curve ball was Steve Grindstaff speeking up for Davis. He was overheard supporting a recall election to get rid of the three Alexander supporters and this mess once and for all. I for one would support that.
Grindstaff is The BOMB!!! He was awesome!!!!It makes my heart proud to see the community coming together like this for an obvious injustice. It was awesome to see citizens coming together from ALL walks of life to be on the same page for the greater good! I feel so PATRIOTIC!!!-probably like Mr. Davis USUALLY FEELS!!
Alexander needs to Go

Johnson City, TN

#173 May 27, 2010
jimbob wrote:
<quoted text>Grass has 50% more injuries then the new safety field turf. The problem with the field at Elizabethton field is with 3 highschool, 2 jr high school, 8 boys and girls club football teams, 4 highschool and 2 jr high soccer teams, and 2 marching bands powder puff all using the field at the same time there is no grass. This is about Davis the field will be paid for by the fans.
GET OFF THE GRASS!!!!!!!!!! WHO CARES!!! You are OBVIOUSly not a teacher!!!
jimbob

Kingsport, TN

#174 May 27, 2010
Leave the field out of this the fans and that touchdown club will pay for the field.
peacemaker

Elizabethton, TN

#175 May 27, 2010
Cyclone wrote:
I had Coach Davis and he is the best teacher ever. Mr. Alexander needs to learn to get along with people. All the teachers make fun of him behind his back. They call him names and he is the joke of the school system. A good leader should be respected. I don't think he is a good leader.
i need to disagree with this statement. i am a teacher in this system and i do NOT hear teacher's making fun of him... if you had mr. davis, then you are too young to work at one of these schools- so where do you get your information?
mr. alexander is a good man. in his position, he is not ever going to make everyone happy. respect his decisions whether you like them or not!
turf sucks

Nashville, TN

#176 May 27, 2010
the turf is a joke and the touchdown club is a joke. we never had that when i played in 1992! all the touchdown club is good for is for the parents to suck up to the coaches so their below average kids will get to play. they think because their kids were allstars at the boys and girls club they should start in high school... pathetic!!! by the way booher, cooter and kimmie b need to go asap!!!!!!!!
Independent

Johnson City, TN

#177 May 27, 2010
Let's hope that the school board has sense enough to rehire Mr Davis before some other local school system looking for a good teacher POUNCES on him. It takes a special breed of teacher to work at a Jr High and he appears to not only do it but to do it well.
CCc

Cleveland, TN

#178 May 27, 2010
peacemaker wrote:
<quoted text>
i need to disagree with this statement. i am a teacher in this system and i do NOT hear teacher's making fun of him... if you had mr. davis, then you are too young to work at one of these schools- so where do you get your information?
mr. alexander is a good man. in his position, he is not ever going to make everyone happy. respect his decisions whether you like them or not!
Where did you get those rose colored glasses? Question openly anything the administration does and see what happens. You can pretend all you want that things are done for the good but it is more like things are done by the good for nothing.
Peace maker my behind

Johnson City, TN

#179 May 27, 2010
peacemaker wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay in SC and leave Eliz alone! You are obviously a PUPPET too!!! Ed Alexander is not a good man! I repeat NOT A GOOD MAN!!!
jimbob

Kingsport, TN

#180 May 27, 2010
turf sucks wrote:
the turf is a joke and the touchdown club is a joke. we never had that when i played in 1992! all the touchdown club is good for is for the parents to suck up to the coaches so their below average kids will get to play. they think because their kids were allstars at the boys and girls club they should start in high school... pathetic!!! by the way booher, cooter and kimmie b need to go asap!!!!!!!!
that shows how much you know the touch down club was helped started by coach Davis and community leaders it has just been around three years there is a Jr club at TAD. They provide food for the kids before all the games they spend hours painting the field before the games, they provide the chartered busses the team takes to the away games. I guess no one did anything for your team in 92 you need get off your butt and give back.
Afraid to Speak

Kingsport, TN

#181 May 27, 2010
peacemaker wrote:
<quoted text>
As I also am an employee in the system, I am curious as to how you teach in the system from South Carolina?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You did not previously elect her...reject Kelly... 47 min frustrated 17
Thieves on Long Hollow 2 hr fed up too 4
Looking for a good masseuse or masseur!! 12 hr Sue 1
Nanny's restaurant 13 hr hypocrite christians 4
school supply distribution (Jul '10) 19 hr whysorude 58
Any churches have any singles activities Sun Eternal Creature 2
good makeout spots in elizabethton (Feb '11) Sun papaw chuck 20

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance