Elizabethton Board of Education
Betsy

Cleveland, TN

#261 Sep 22, 2008
Way to go Mr. Jenkins! I am so glad someone has finally taken a stand!
concerned

Ringgold, GA

#262 Sep 23, 2008
Ed Alexander's loss in the arbitration hearing is a good example of his inability to manange employees. His attack against Mr. Jenkins was personal. The school board, even with no real evidence, rubber stamped his suspension of Mr. Jenkins. It shows again the importance of single shotting Mr. Landstreet in the upcoming election so that at least one voice who is not a puppet of Ed is seated on this board.
PLEASE TELL EVERYONE TO VOTE FOR MR> LANDSTREET!
Parent

Johnson City, TN

#263 Sep 23, 2008
How I enjoyed the article when Mr. Jenkins suspension was overturned. Mr. Ed and the board both were slapped down! Another example of the idiots we have running Elizabethton/Carter County.
Still There

Johnson City, TN

#264 Sep 24, 2008
I have never experienced as many disgruntled parents, students, fellow teachers, professional and non-professional staff who are calling from Region to Nashville and literally begging for any suggestions of survival through such an ill-fitted staff of supervision from the top to the pre-school. As is most frequently the response,
"someone asked for him, and they got HIM".
God Bless Us All!
Concerned Citizen

Kingsport, TN

#265 Sep 28, 2008
Still There wrote:
I have never experienced as many disgruntled parents, students, fellow teachers, professional and non-professional staff who are calling from Region to Nashville and literally begging for any suggestions of survival through such an ill-fitted staff of supervision from the top to the pre-school. As is most frequently the response,
"someone asked for him, and they got HIM".
God Bless Us All!
I know for a fact during the recall many teachers, and staff called Richardson, Sams, and Berry saying they were afraid of Ed and they didn't want him to be in a position of power. They also refused to come forward and state their position because they were afraid for their jobs. This is a perfect example of how we expect elected officials to do the job without support. And what happened....Ed got the job and the system is in turmoil. The worst thing that would happen if you spoke up is going to another system. I would much rather do that than work for a tyrant and hate my job!!!!!!
draftdodger

Chatsworth, GA

#266 Sep 29, 2008
Parent wrote:
How I enjoyed the article when Mr. Jenkins suspension was overturned. Mr. Ed and the board both were slapped down! Another example of the idiots we have running Elizabethton/Carter County.
I have been tying to keep up but somehow I miss this article about Mr Jenkins when was it in the Star and what date ?
Concerned Citizen

Kingsport, TN

#267 Sep 29, 2008
I think it was Monday 9/22.
Suzy Q

Sevierville, TN

#268 Sep 29, 2008
Way to go Mr. Jenkins for standing for what is right. There are very few people like you left in our school system. Tell Nick hello.
Concerned Citizen

Johnson City, TN

#269 Oct 27, 2008
I personally love the fact that the county schools will reap 75% of the sales tax increase. I'm sure that little Ed is kicking and screaming at the thought of the county schools benefiting from his brain child!!!!!!!!!!

Officials spread word on sales tax

By John Thompson
Elizabethton Bureau Chief
[email protected]

Discuss This Article in Our Forums

ELIZABETHTON — The Carter County Board of Education and school system administrators took their message in support of the sales tax referendum to the voters on Tuesday night, holding community meetings at Cloudland, Hampton, Happy Valley and Unaka.
“I don’t know whether community meetings like these will have much effect, but it doesn’t hurt to inform the people,” Director of Schools Dallas Williams said.“We tried to explain the issue to them and answer all their questions about how it will impact Carter County students.”

The school officials spoke in favor of the referendum to increase the local option sales tax by a half percent in the county, bringing the county’s sales tax rate to 9.75 and putting it in line with the city of Elizabethton’s 9.75 percent.

Williams said the public forums were scheduled to be held on the eve of early voting, which started today. These forums were used to make several key points to voters who are traditionally opposed to tax increases.

The main point the school officials tried to make was that the people who shop in Elizabethton are already paying the tax and will continue paying the tax whether they vote “yes” or “no” on the Nov. 4 referendum.

“Because most of us do our shopping in Elizabethton, we are already paying the tax,” Williams said.“All of the taxes collected at Wal-Mart and the restaurants is now going to the city schools. What this referendum is going to do if it passes is to give the county students their fair share of that money.”

The main reason why the school system pushed for the sales tax referendum was to enable county schools to receive a share of the sales tax increase now being collected in Elizabethton after city voters approved a similar referendum in the August election.

Williams said the referendum could bring an estimated $800,000 to $900,000 a year to the county schools if it passes. If it fails, the taxpayers will still pay the $800,000 to $900,000, but it will all go to the city schools.

Another point the school officials made last night was that this new money will be used exclusively for much needed improvements of buildings, classroom renovations and maintenance. None of the money will go to salaries or staff funding.

“The Carter County Commission voted and the school board accepted that 100 percent of the money will go for capital improvements. We certainly have a lot of needs with our school buildings,” Williams said.

“We just learned last week that we have a serious problem with part of the roof at Hunter Elementary School. This is one immediate need this money could be used for.”

Williams said there are plenty of other roofs in need of replacement. The new revenue could also be used to replace aging single-pane windows with more energy-efficient windows.

“Some of these windows have been there since the schools were built,” Williams said.

Replacing old heater and air conditioning units is another area the money could be spent.

“We also have a lot of old plumbing that was put in when the school was built that we have problems with,” Williams said.
vote for our children

Johnson City, TN

#270 Oct 28, 2008
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I personally love the fact that the county schools will reap 75% of the sales tax increase. I'm sure that little Ed is kicking and screaming at the thought of the county schools benefiting from his brain child!!!!!!!!!!
Officials spread word on sales tax
By John Thompson
Elizabethton Bureau Chief
[email protected]
Discuss This Article in Our Forums
ELIZABETHTON — The Carter County Board of Education and school system administrators took their message in support of the sales tax referendum to the voters on Tuesday night, holding community meetings at Cloudland, Hampton, Happy Valley and Unaka.
“I don’t know whether community meetings like these will have much effect, but it doesn’t hurt to inform the people,” Director of Schools Dallas Williams said.“We tried to explain the issue to them and answer all their questions about how it will impact Carter County students.”
The school officials spoke in favor of the referendum to increase the local option sales tax by a half percent in the county, bringing the county’s sales tax rate to 9.75 and putting it in line with the city of Elizabethton’s 9.75 percent.
Williams said the public forums were scheduled to be held on the eve of early voting, which started today. These forums were used to make several key points to voters who are traditionally opposed to tax increases.
The main point the school officials tried to make was that the people who shop in Elizabethton are already paying the tax and will continue paying the tax whether they vote “yes” or “no” on the Nov. 4 referendum.
“Because most of us do our shopping in Elizabethton, we are already paying the tax,” Williams said.“All of the taxes collected at Wal-Mart and the restaurants is now going to the city schools. What this referendum is going to do if it passes is to give the county students their fair share of that money.”
The main reason why the school system pushed for the sales tax referendum was to enable county schools to receive a share of the sales tax increase now being collected in Elizabethton after city voters approved a similar referendum in the August election.
Williams said the referendum could bring an estimated $800,000 to $900,000 a year to the county schools if it passes. If it fails, the taxpayers will still pay the $800,000 to $900,000, but it will all go to the city schools.
Another point the school officials made last night was that this new money will be used exclusively for much needed improvements of buildings, classroom renovations and maintenance. None of the money will go to salaries or staff funding.
“The Carter County Commission voted and the school board accepted that 100 percent of the money will go for capital improvements. We certainly have a lot of needs with our school buildings,” Williams said.
“We just learned last week that we have a serious problem with part of the roof at Hunter Elementary School. This is one immediate need this money could be used for.”
Williams said there are plenty of other roofs in need of replacement. The new revenue could also be used to replace aging single-pane windows with more energy-efficient windows.
“Some of these windows have been there since the schools were built,” Williams said.
Replacing old heater and air conditioning units is another area the money could be spent.
“We also have a lot of old plumbing that was put in when the school was built that we have problems with,” Williams said.
I LOVE IT!! We all need to get out and vote "FOR" referendum 495! VOTE FOR THE COUNTY SCHOOL CHILDREN!!
ECS Teacher Too Long

Johnson City, TN

#271 Jan 3, 2009
Former Teacher wrote:
There is as much justification for a recall of Mr. Ed's three puppets as there was of Roper's muppets. If any family in Elizabethton knows the good, bad, and ugly of ECS, it is the Clark family. Mr. Clark's wife was under Roper's knife and was one of the finest teachers ECS ever had. She was treated worse than one can imagine. Mr. Clark came to the system with years of experience in supervision and knowledge of building, materials planning and ordering, and the skills needed to step on the toes of the very maintenance worker who was too lazy to breathe who is now Supv. How sad that such a fine family is the butt of crooked politics. Dicky Clark has my vote and that of my family. I'll proudly display yard signs and will give my recommendation to anyone that he is a perfect candidate who will have the best interest of our schools at heart.
As to the saga of ECS and Ed Alexander as he continues to belittle and destroy along his way, I cannot help but recall the excitement of my colleagues at the possible school board campaign of one of our own, Mr. Clark. He, with his family, decided against running at the time. I believe he will at some time in the future and will make a fine board member. It is nothing more than a joke to watch the replacement in his former position. How sad it is when unqualified people are placed in positions in order to benefit someone of Little Hitler's caliber only to waste taxpayer's money and make unprofessional decisions. My heart goes out to the fine family of Clarks who have been so wrongly treated by the Elizabethton City School System after having given so much to so many for so long. I am not alone in my feelings. There are rumblings all over the system. However, little can be said.
ECS Insider

Johnson City, TN

#272 Jan 3, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>If he was not fulfilling his job duties it should have been documented in his personnel file or on his employee reviews. If you followed the story in the local newspapers you know that Mr. Clark stood up at the board meeting and confronted Ed about the fact he was given no warning or opportunity to correct any problems. Make no mistake....Mr. Clark was royally screwed because Ed had promised the position to Tim Crowe who was one of his minions when he launched his campaign against Roper, Richardson, Berry and Sams. I hope it's not too late for Mr. Clark to pursue some sort of legal action. I would love to see Ed publicly bitch slapped again!!!!!!!!!
For the other insider or outsider who posted misinformation as to Mr. Clark's personnel issues, for your information and that of others, I personally know that there were glowing compliments, evaluations, and never had Mr. Alexander addressed any negative issues of any type with Mr. Clark. It was nothing more than using him for personal gain. I hope I live to see Mr. Alexander get his due for it will come. I have no idea what Mr. Clark's plans are. He is a kind man. He does not talk about the subject at hand. He does not deserve the lies that have been told and those who know him and have worked with him know the truth. The truth will stand when the world is gone. God bless him! He has endured Hell on Earth!
Concerned Citizen

Kingsport, TN

#273 Jan 5, 2009
ECS Teacher Too Long wrote:
<quoted text>
As to the saga of ECS and Ed Alexander as he continues to belittle and destroy along his way, I cannot help but recall the excitement of my colleagues at the possible school board campaign of one of our own, Mr. Clark. He, with his family, decided against running at the time. I believe he will at some time in the future and will make a fine board member. It is nothing more than a joke to watch the replacement in his former position. How sad it is when unqualified people are placed in positions in order to benefit someone of Little Hitler's caliber only to waste taxpayer's money and make unprofessional decisions. My heart goes out to the fine family of Clarks who have been so wrongly treated by the Elizabethton City School System after having given so much to so many for so long. I am not alone in my feelings. There are rumblings all over the system. However, little can be said.
Mr. Clark probably decided not to run after he "recalled" the treatment of Judy Richardson by the members of the city school system. I believe as a retired teacher of so many years, she would be considered one of your own, however drowned in the lack of support. Also, I believe Catherine Armstrong is "one of your own" and that hasn't really worked out well at all!!!!!!!!! Mr. Clark probably realized how little is ever said by those creating the rumblings in the system and decided "no thanks."
Christian

Jonesborough, TN

#274 Jan 28, 2009
InsideMan wrote:
No the good stuff in Jenkins file is gone. The only things in there, I am told, are negative---the one that went to the grivance hearing, and a new one, get this, over a child getting a blister on her foot during a gym class. Go see for yourself if my info is correct.
And as for RC's evaluation--lets just say that the evaluation that was gone over with her was not what ended up in her file. Same thing true for Dr E's. And dont forget what he did to our athletic director and baseball coach this time last year. Gil Payne didnt deserve the treatment he got......
Lets just say that Gloria Cates got what she deserved and is a sad excuse for a educator, she can't manage a classroom of 24, let alone a middle school...Talking about napolean syndrome or what have you, she bullies and degrades those kids to no avail. I heard a couple of days ago she pinched a little girl because she didnt like her and the little girl didnt get along with one of her favorites. We are talking 4th grade here and she is picking sides...what a pathetic woman, she needs a life other than teaching...
education matters

Johnson City, TN

#275 Feb 4, 2009
Has anyone noticed that EA, in his push for total control, is spending money that should go toward educating children;for an attorney? According to the STAR the fees will be $190 an hour. Driving time alone will be over $3,000 to and from Memphis.Mileage will be nearly $450 plus food and lodging. Nearly $4,000 and he will not have worked a single hour. All so EA will not have to have binding arbitration on his "decisions" right or wrong. I don't think so ... where are the concerned citizens when our children and school system employees need them?
In town

Johnson City, TN

#277 Feb 4, 2009
What happened to Dr. Ropers lawsuit? Has that been brushed under the rug as well? Has a date been set for the suit to be heard?
concerned parents

Cleveland, TN

#278 Feb 9, 2009
No one cares anymore. He can do whatever he wants to do.
BlueMoon

Knoxville, TN

#279 Feb 9, 2009
Ropers lawsuit is still pending. The boards atty DeFault is trying to get his bill back up to 80 grand again. What a bunch of bullcrap.
Remember it was the board that sued Roper first. Then Roper countersued. Roper got a job a few months afterwards and may not have even filed his suit; and even if he had, with him getting a new job, he probably would have settled for a few months severance pay-----way way less than the board has paid MR Default for his services.
And then Eddy says we need a lawyer from Canada (actually Canada is closer than Memphis---where the atty is from).....are the people of Elizabethton really that stupid, blind or just on the ED Take???
Interested

Kingsport, TN

#280 Feb 10, 2009
BlueMoon wrote:
Ropers lawsuit is still pending. The boards atty DeFault is trying to get his bill back up to 80 grand again. What a bunch of bullcrap.
Remember it was the board that sued Roper first. Then Roper countersued. Roper got a job a few months afterwards and may not have even filed his suit; and even if he had, with him getting a new job, he probably would have settled for a few months severance pay-----way way less than the board has paid MR Default for his services.
And then Eddy says we need a lawyer from Canada (actually Canada is closer than Memphis---where the atty is from).....are the people of Elizabethton really that stupid, blind or just on the ED Take???
Based on the behavior of our good citizens and their attitudes during our school system during the past two years, I would have to go with STUPID!!!!!!!!
Yoda

Kingsport, TN

#281 Feb 10, 2009
I agree interested, although Blind is a close second.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Investigate Hampton High's Varsity Basketball (Aug '12) 7 hr Anyonomus 443
What's the best pub in this region? 14 hr Eeoc 4
girls that have had a threesome (Jun '13) 15 hr Abcdef 109
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word**** (May '10) 22 hr Bandit 2,436
Connie Baird, owes money Thu Family 1
Johnson City Toyota Thu Smoove 2
Gary Hicks sycamore drivein Thu no name 11

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance