Elizabethton Board of Education

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
concerned citizen

Johnson City, TN

#1 Apr 17, 2008
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT FROM A JOHNSON CITY PRESS ARTICLE DATED 04/18/2008 REGARDING RECRUITMENT OF CARTER COUNTY/NON-RESIDENT STUDENTS FOR THE ELIZABETHTON CITY SCHOOL SYSTEM.

The board unanimously approved the revised policy.

The system’s efforts to attract more students from the county to attend the high school led to another policy change to make sure the effort does not attract weak students who could lower the school’s standards.

The change to the policy on attendance of non-resident students said such students, including those in the tuition-free zones, must be “on track” toward graduation and in good academic standing.

The policy was further changed to say that non-resident students who fall below academic good standards or fail to stay on track toward graduation will forfeit their enrollment in the city school system. The same holds true for non-resident students who have discipline or attendance problems.

“This gives the principal the authority to dismiss unsatisfactory students,” Alexander said.

Elizabethton High School Principal Eddie Pless said the school did not want to accept “someone we are going to be penalized for.”

This is pretty interesting considering two years ago the Alexander regime was doing everything to keep "county students" out of the system including raising tuition etc., Recently, they lowered the tuition for T.A. Dugger students. I suppose Mr. ED has decided he needs to court everyone possible to get that $600,000+ increase he feels he needs to run the school system!!!!
Parent call

Johnson City, TN

#2 Apr 18, 2008
This is why we need a national search for director of schools. Why was the requirment of doctorate lowered to masters degree.... Makes you go hum....? Call your board members now and let them know you want someone who has expierence and the knowledge to lead the school system out of this awful nightmare.
It Figures

Mountain City, GA

#3 Apr 18, 2008
Just like Elizabethton City to say they don't want anything or anyone that will tarnish their outstanding reputation! They act like they are better than everyone else. That's right Mr. Ed we know you don't want the 'stupid, poor kids'in Elizabethton.
Kingsport, TN

#4 Apr 19, 2008
WHAT reputation are you speaking about??
1. laughing stock of the area due to recall of board members.
2. letting go a director of schools and now having a law suit pending.
3. Meeting in Nashville that a board member attended but was not recalled.
4. Members of the Concerned Citizens Group that spoke out and sounded like total idiots through the area media.
5. Self appointed Concerned Citizens Group doing the "right thing" for "the children" when they had an agenda to have Alexander at director.
No, they dont need to worry about the reputation of Elizabethton and education it is already been successfully shot down. The reputation is not only ruined in the area but across the state. Elizabethton is the butt of must jokes when it comes to educaton!
Glorie

Johnson City, TN

#5 Apr 20, 2008
I think some people need to "move on" from the past. Maybe take a "breath" and reread what has been written on here. Just how stupid were the people of Elizabethton to have recalled the board members? Not very. Most folks know the truth. You can't fool most folks into doing such a serious thing. Most have to know there's a real problem. I have realized that some people can't admit the truth for their own personal reasons and that's fine. Got to do whatever you can to take the edge off I guess. I am proud to be from a place where we are not afraid to do the right thing when we need to. I never heard that the Concerned Citizens group wanted Mr. Alexander to be appointed director and would not have voted for the recall if that were the only issue or agenda. I know his being moved somewhere in the system started the ball rolling, but most folks knew it was about a lot more than that and could see the proof. There were no guarantees of the future, but most knew positively that nothing good was in the present, so they chose to recall those members. I don't believe the majority of people would base their votes on the words of people who sound like idiots. Did you ever try to be responsible enough to find the facts? Or were you afraid that the facts would render your attitude as one of an idiot? I found through all this that the ones who wanted to defend these former board members would not even look at the facts. If they did, then they would have to be total idiots not to know the truth.
Glorie

Johnson City, TN

#6 Apr 20, 2008
Parent call wrote:
This is why we need a national search for director of schools. Why was the requirment of doctorate lowered to masters degree.... Makes you go hum....? Call your board members now and let them know you want someone who has expierence and the knowledge to lead the school system out of this awful nightmare.
Hmmmmm.......
Per state law, only a bacalaureate degree is required. Yep, we need a national search done so we can pay out loads of money to get a director who is in the back pocket of the TSBA. And we should all know by now that the TSBA is not a friend of the citizens. All one has to do is look at their positions on many things. They love to take the taxpayers' money for the board members to belong to the organization. TSBA is nothing more than a lobbying organization, usually lobbying against the citizens. We really need to do a national search with TSBA so they can hold the directors' license and info. in their offices in Nashville so the people of Eliz. can't see it. They can do that legally. Yep, they really did a great job of finding the last one and doing a little history check on him, didn't they? Wonder if they knew the former director had all those problems in Alabama? Probably, but then why did we need to know?
Glorie

Johnson City, TN

#7 Apr 20, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT FROM A JOHNSON CITY PRESS ARTICLE DATED 04/18/2008 REGARDING RECRUITMENT OF CARTER COUNTY/NON-RESIDENT STUDENTS FOR THE ELIZABETHTON CITY SCHOOL SYSTEM.
The board unanimously approved the revised policy.
The system’s efforts to attract more students from the county to attend the high school led to another policy change to make sure the effort does not attract weak students who could lower the school’s standards.
The change to the policy on attendance of non-resident students said such students, including those in the tuition-free zones, must be “on track” toward graduation and in good academic standing.
The policy was further changed to say that non-resident students who fall below academic good standards or fail to stay on track toward graduation will forfeit their enrollment in the city school system. The same holds true for non-resident students who have discipline or attendance problems.
“This gives the principal the authority to dismiss unsatisfactory students,” Alexander said.
Elizabethton High School Principal Eddie Pless said the school did not want to accept “someone we are going to be penalized for.”
This is pretty interesting considering two years ago the Alexander regime was doing everything to keep "county students" out of the system including raising tuition etc., Recently, they lowered the tuition for T.A. Dugger students. I suppose Mr. ED has decided he needs to court everyone possible to get that $600,000+ increase he feels he needs to run the school system!!!!
I've been reading the posts on some of the threads and can't stay quiet any more. Since you know so much, you should know that students who don't make acceptable grades will bring down the average state score of the school as whole. If this happens, the school would be put on notice by the state. This could cost the system. If children are asking to be made citizens of the school system, then they should have to perform at some acceptable level. Why is that too much to ask of someone who doesn't even pay taxes to the city? This has nothing to do with who is better than who. We're all the same, county or city resident. The tuition rates were scheduled some time ago.

As for the Alexander regime, whoever that is, doing everything possible to keep county students out of the system, I think you've conveniently forgotten your history again. It was Mr. Alexander who stood up to the former board and told them they shouldn't do away with the tuition free zones each time they discussed eliminating them. When a former, resigned member of the board brought up the discussion of eliminating tuition free zones at a meeting, he openly admitted that he was doing so out of retaliation toward the Concerned Citizens. This subject loomed as a threat for quite a while. It was Mr. Alexander and the two remaining members from the old board who spoke of the importance some county students had been to the city schools in the past. If you want to post on this subject, then at least do so in a way to keep your credibility.
concerned citizen

Johnson City, TN

#8 Apr 21, 2008
Glorie wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been reading the posts on some of the threads and can't stay quiet any more. Since you know so much, you should know that students who don't make acceptable grades will bring down the average state score of the school as whole. If this happens, the school would be put on notice by the state. This could cost the system. If children are asking to be made citizens of the school system, then they should have to perform at some acceptable level. Why is that too much to ask of someone who doesn't even pay taxes to the city? This has nothing to do with who is better than who. We're all the same, county or city resident. The tuition rates were scheduled some time ago.
As for the Alexander regime, whoever that is, doing everything possible to keep county students out of the system, I think you've conveniently forgotten your history again. It was Mr. Alexander who stood up to the former board and told them they shouldn't do away with the tuition free zones each time they discussed eliminating them. When a former, resigned member of the board brought up the discussion of eliminating tuition free zones at a meeting, he openly admitted that he was doing so out of retaliation toward the Concerned Citizens. This subject loomed as a threat for quite a while. It was Mr. Alexander and the two remaining members from the old board who spoke of the importance some county students had been to the city schools in the past. If you want to post on this subject, then at least do so in a way to keep your credibility.
I think it’s interesting that instead of presenting facts to support your arguments, you call me names and sling mud. This sounds like another group of “Concerned Citizens” from a couple of years ago. You mentioned the TSBA is a lobbying organization, well if you had done your research you would know that the “Concerned Citizens” are a registered Political Action Committee (PAC). PAC’s use their influence to steer politicians and elections in their favor so how is that different. Also, you need to go to the central office and ask for the minutes of the meetings you refer to regarding tuition and the previous board. I think you will find that Sams, Richardson, and Berry were trying to prevent this very situation of picking and choosing the tuition paying students. By doing this you have one set of standards for the city students and one for the tuition paying students. This is unfair and elitist as anyone with eyes can see.

Also, you said you never heard of the Concerned Citizens wanting to appoint Mr. Alexander as Director. Perhaps you are also not aware that Mr. Alexander was turned down twice for the Director of Schools position. This is exactly why he started his retaliation toward Dr. Roper and the three members of the board who wouldn’t bow to his wishes. The recall election was staged to get rid of those members and stack the board in his favor. Otherwise, why wasn’t Catherine Armstrong recalled as well? She was in attendance at the supposed illegal meeting in Nashville, but conveniently turned on the other board members so she wouldn’t incur the wrath of the “Concerned Citizens.”

Finally, regarding you comment concerning the problems with Dr. Roper in Alabama. You weren’t specific so I can only recommend that you go back and read the newspaper archives concerning this situation. Dr. Roper had the support of the board of education in Roanoke Alabama, as demonstrated by their letters of recommendation and the letters written in his support during that whole fiasco. There were some instances during his tenure with the Roanoke school system when he had to make some difficult decisions and some people got mad. The fact of management is you have to make tough decisions and you can’t always make everyone happy.
City tax payer

Johnson City, TN

#9 Apr 22, 2008
When will they announce the person who is the director of schools for Elizabethton. Someone being in an interim positon for over a year does not look to good. Are they afraid to announce it due to a recall?
Parent

Johnson City, TN

#10 Apr 23, 2008
I supported Alexander during the troubles at EHS.
Boy, was I ever wrong about him! He needs to go!
willow

United States

#11 Apr 23, 2008
Parent wrote:
I supported Alexander during the troubles at EHS.
Boy, was I ever wrong about him! He needs to go!
A principle he was, a Director he is not!!! But as long as he has his boy and girl- Booher and Cooter, he will be hard to get out of there. All of those Alexanders have an agenda and either you're with them or you're in there way and they will do whatever they can to remove you- moral or not! Have you noticed how Booher has went from "concerned mother" to "suck-up politician"? It has worked for her too, her child knew that she had one of the lead parts in the Show Choir concert back in the summer time. Auditions didnt even start until several moths into the school year. Alexander will take care of the people who does his dirty work, the problem is that it doesn't matter who they hurt on the way; even if it is the children that they have sworn to protect.
willow

United States

#12 Apr 23, 2008
i misspelled months-sorry :)
It Figures

Nashville, TN

#13 Apr 23, 2008
City tax payer wrote:
When will they announce the person who is the director of schools for Elizabethton. Someone being in an interim positon for over a year does not look to good. Are they afraid to announce it due to a recall?
They probably can't find anyone to take the job. You couldn't pay me to work in Elizabethton City Schools right now.
concerned citizen

Kingsport, TN

#14 Apr 23, 2008
willow wrote:
<quoted text>A principle he was, a Director he is not!!! But as long as he has his boy and girl- Booher and Cooter, he will be hard to get out of there. All of those Alexanders have an agenda and either you're with them or you're in there way and they will do whatever they can to remove you- moral or not! Have you noticed how Booher has went from "concerned mother" to "suck-up politician"? It has worked for her too, her child knew that she had one of the lead parts in the Show Choir concert back in the summer time. Auditions didnt even start until several moths into the school year. Alexander will take care of the people who does his dirty work, the problem is that it doesn't matter who they hurt on the way; even if it is the children that they have sworn to protect.
This is a prime example of what will be in store for the Elizabethton School System, if Ed gets the position. Rita Booher's sister, Teresa Dugger is a teacher at East Side and is best friends with Sonya Alexander,(Ed's wife) who also teaches at East Side. Ed certainly has the votes in his favor considering Booher and Cooter is in his pocket. Also, Kim Birchfield's sister-in-law is the assistant principal at TAD, and the only female Ed left in an administrative position, so he will definitely vote for him. They are not using the TSBA for the search so no one outside of the area will apply and no one in this area in their right mind would dare apply considering what the Alexander machine did to the last director.
Yada Yada Ya

Jonesborough, TN

#15 Apr 23, 2008
My child goes to city schools, and I love his school. Honestly, though I don't see anyone who would want to apply for the directors job. Qhy would you want the drama?
willow

United States

#16 Apr 23, 2008
My child attends East Side Elementary and loves it as well but she is also starting to see the politics in this town and how it starts (or affects) at such a young age. Its very hard to explain to her why things are being given to children based on a name and not on integrity or performance. It is sickening to know these things and just sit back and watch. There should be no drama involved.....
Teacher

Johnson City, TN

#17 Apr 23, 2008
willow wrote:
<quoted text> Have you noticed how Booher has went from "concerned mother" to "suck-up politician"? It has worked for her too, her child knew that she had one of the lead parts in the Show Choir concert back in the summer time. Auditions didnt even start until several moths into the school year.

There is no reason too start demeaning children. I have both Booher and Cooter in class -- they are top-notch students.
willow wrote:
<quoted text>
Alexander will take care of the people who does his dirty work, the problem is that it doesn't matter who they hurt on the way; even if it is the children that they have sworn to protect.
Instead of swearing in like the police, we decided to draw straws:)
concerned citizen

Kingsport, TN

#18 Apr 23, 2008
willow wrote:
My child attends East Side Elementary and loves it as well but she is also starting to see the politics in this town and how it starts (or affects) at such a young age. Its very hard to explain to her why things are being given to children based on a name and not on integrity or performance. It is sickening to know these things and just sit back and watch. There should be no drama involved.....
I agree and I can honestly say that Elizabethton City Schools at one time was very fair to the children. Activities, grades, etc., were merit based and not based on who you are. If you go to the Kimberly Witten thread and read the posts at the end, I think you will find others have been treated unfairly as well.
Teacher

Johnson City, TN

#19 Apr 23, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text lol>
If you go to the Kimberly Witten thread and read the posts at the end, I think you will find others have been treated unfairly as well.
Are you sure it's the Witten threads??? Which one?
willow--

Chatsworth, GA

#20 Apr 23, 2008
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reason too start demeaning children. I have both Booher and Cooter in class -- they are top-notch students.
<quoted text>
Instead of swearing in like the police, we decided to draw straws:)
How did I demean a child? I understand that they are good students but it would by nice to know that they weren't being helped outside of the classrooms because of there names! I guess you are blind to all of this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
microbrewery in down town elizabethton 3 hr Jenett 5
Shell gasoline 8 hr Gas Man 1
WALMART MEAT..don't buy it! (Sep '11) 10 hr Penascillin 117
Who will be Sheriff 14 hr Tia 29
EHS basketball (Sep '15) 16 hr Clarence 103
Ghost riders 16 hr Haney 11
Vacuum cleaner shop (Mar '14) 16 hr Hoover 11

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance