Investigate Hampton High's Varsity Ba...
greg andrews

Knoxville, TN

#141 Aug 23, 2012
Aint it the truth wrote:
I agree. The kids are at risk for who knows what. If the sports world didn't learn anything from the Penn State thing it should be that kids grow up and talk about the things that happened to them.
Hampton has been using the good ole boys club for so long. Former players who couldn't make it in the real world had to come back to the high point of their life. Not going to change til the system gets a leader from outside the area. Someone professional that will be a leader and rock the boat.
Who says supporting your local school means you couldn't or didnt make it in life? Our kids go there now so we shouldn't support them and the school they attend? You really didn't put much thought into that statement.
greg andrews

Knoxville, TN

#142 Aug 23, 2012
guesswhat wrote:
Something else scary..these wannabe coaches and assistants (and others) have keys to the schools they play in. You can't tell me they don't take kids with them to play. Not just their kids either. They do this at night...a lot. That should not be allowed. I know if I were a teacher, I wouldn't want all these people having a master key or whatever it is. Kids have no business there unless with a background checked coach. And even then, someone should be there with them. It shouldn't happen as often as it does. I know one person that has a key that let their spouse use it, friends, and family. They are one of the "coaches" (not real ones either) It would shock parents and staff to know a lot of what goes on after hours.
Of course the kids go there to shoot how do you think they improve? You obviously have never been a part of a basketball team there is an old saying about Bering a gymrat that's how you work on your game.
greg andrews

Knoxville, TN

#143 Aug 23, 2012
blue n gold wrote:
<quoted text>Give me a break! We ALL know that AAU practice is an extension of high school sports program always has been even when Ned was up at Cloudland. And if you want to play ball then you better participate in it or else. All coaches cheat with AAU! Boys and girls too!! Sounds like you are a part of the cheating too. Ive been there and watched MANY coaches in the stands and around the corners with their players. Dont come on here and hand me that self righteous BS!! Oh its for the kids...BS! Its for wanna be coaches and for the parents to help out the team for next year. ITS CHEATING 75% OF THE TIME. Sounds like Hampton finally got caught. Matheson has cheated and recruted forever. Even tried to get some of our boys to come down a couple of yrs back. I HOPE WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE MAKES HIM PAY...MAYBE TSSAA WILL BUT I DOUBT IT!!!
You said it yourself every team in the area use this resource to get game experience so why all hampton is cheating bs I know weve played unaka happy valley unicoi university high elizabethton Sullivan east and cloudland. Why are we not saying everyone is cheating? I know it's because were not!
smartpuppy

Dandridge, TN

#144 Aug 23, 2012
greg andrews wrote:
<quoted text>
Never once said sports was more important than education although you do earn alot about how to work as team and that if you want something you have to bust your butt to get it all this while having to maintain a b average in my home so there you go again assuming things we all know what assuming means it makes an ass out of you and me. And I know very well your comment about spelling and sentence structure was a jabb at me no matter what your trying to spin now.
ANY parent that would transfer their child to another school because of playing time and sports IS PUTTING SPORTS BEFORE EDUCATION... And, admittedly, THAT INCLUDES YOU!!! I have assumed nothing... but, you my friend, are STILL an ass.
greg andrews

Knoxville, TN

#145 Aug 23, 2012
grab it wrote:
<quoted text>I've seen kids jerked on the bench like a rag doll. I've had coaches nose to nose with me, as a 15 yr old girl, having spit splashing in my face. Not because I had disrepected them, just because mistakes were made. Yes, you must be firm as a coach, but I seen things in the PAST that was.....pure pathetic. They are ways besides a "crazy" tough approach.
Listen to your child, and don't make him afraid to discuss basketball and the coaches with you. They give %100 to the game they love, so don't ever say "they won't want to come see me", because you never know the circumstances. In the end....nobody cares for your child like you do, so always watch their backs. I don't care if they're smurf blue, and dream of bulldogs!!
I agree with what your saying you have to love the game I've never understood that mentality you have to be firm but you need them to respect you so they will want to give their all for you and the team. Some coaches definitely take it too far. But I still say discipline is a must. Not just for ball to teach respect all through life.
Knowledge

Elizabethton, TN

#146 Aug 23, 2012
Several days ago I ask a question on this forum. I have yet to receive an answer. Has Hampton been put on probation and have they been levied a fine? This does not need to be covered up. The guilty parties need to be exposed.
Too Much

United States

#147 Aug 23, 2012
greg andrews wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the past was pretty damn good! You are actually able to make kids listen to your show them the door discipline is sadly in the past and it shows in our young adults. My kids better listen to their coaches and treat people with respect or they won't want to come see me,
I feel sorry for your kids. You obviously have obcessive compulsive behavior. I don't know you but I would hope your kids mother has some compasion and is not afraid to stand up to you I am sure you will attack me because of this post just as you have EVERYONE else. But I can take it. Think about your kid having to loisten to your rants day in and day out. So sad.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#148 Aug 23, 2012
greg andrews wrote:
<quoted text>
You said it yourself every team in the area use this resource to get game experience so why all hampton is cheating bs I know weve played unaka happy valley unicoi university high elizabethton Sullivan east and cloudland. Why are we not saying everyone is cheating? I know it's because were not!
You are so very right...AAU has been utilized by student/athletes for years...and in most cases, the teams are made up of a combination of students from several different schools. When my daughter played AAU, she enjoyed playing with some girls from several teams that she played against during her high school season. After seeing her develop some lifelong friends and gain a greater level of respect when she played against members of her AAU team, I can truthfully say that she does not look back on that time with regret.

To be honest, I am so glad that AAU was an option because she was your typical gym rat. She loved basketball and enjoyed all that went along with the preparation to play. She also learned that if she applied the same work ethic in the gym to her studies that she could excel at any subject. I am so thankful that she graduated in the top of her high school class and she has made the deans list in college....and she does not play college ball. It was her decision not to play ball in college and there has been no disappointment by us as her parents. She knew her own limitations and we respect her decision.

When I look back on her experiences, I know that she could have chosen to do something else other than basketball...but I see the character that developed in her because of those experiences...and I am appreciative of the opportunities that she had. Every parent wants their child to have it better than they themselves had...that is understandable. However; a successful student/athlete has to be willing to sacrifice their time and effort to get to the next level....whether it be making varsity in high school or gaining a college scholarship. Being a good parent means that you understand that your child is going to have to do the work to make the team and get playing time. You cannot do it for them.

There were times, early on, that I was one of those parents that sat in the stands and hollered instructions to my daughter. I remember once, she told me that she heard me hollering and that it embarrassed her. She also let me know that her coach had just said the same thing to her during the time-out...and it wasn't necessary for me to repeat her coach. From that point, I clapped, I cheered her on, and I congratulated her after the game...and that was all that she needed. I also have to admit that I actually enjoyed the games a lot more. Heck, I even cheered for her AAU team mates when they made a good play. Even parents can learn sportsmanship from their child's sporting life.
smartpuppy

Johnson City, TN

#149 Aug 23, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
Several days ago I ask a question on this forum. I have yet to receive an answer. Has Hampton been put on probation and have they been levied a fine? This does not need to be covered up. The guilty parties need to be exposed.
Very good question... must be the ONLY post that "olddawg" hasn't responded to. Wonder why?
grab it

Kingsport, TN

#150 Aug 23, 2012
greg andrews wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with what your saying you have to love the game I've never understood that mentality you have to be firm but you need them to respect you so they will want to give their all for you and the team. Some coaches definitely take it too far. But I still say discipline is a must. Not just for ball to teach respect all through life.
Let me ask you a question, please don't say whats politically correct...just the truth. If your child has a bad game, are you angry at your child? Your showing so many signs of this behavior. If so, please stop and understand nothing is more damaging than feeling you didn't please your parent....especially in sports.

Giving advice, is different than a huge ordeal over a bad night. They'll always remember it...believe me. I myself had the tough ride home sometimes, and nothing compares to how it makes you feel.
Life lessons comes from YOU and they're home enviroment, not the sport. As much as I love the game, it has nothing to do with how they'll stride as a adult.
guesswhat

Johnson City, TN

#151 Aug 23, 2012
Yes my child I was part of a basketball team but I guarantee only real coaches had keys to the gym. Not wanna be nobodys like you. Also, back in that day you didn't have to worry about things like what happened at Penn State. If you are this defensive, you must have a key too. You yourself are taking a HUGE risk. All it would take is one lie, one innocent incident. Are you willing to go to jail for those kids or be a dad to your own. It sounds like you are a pretty good dad but leave highschool in the past dude. You can't relive those days. One help YOUR kids? Get out in the driveway with them. Don't do it after hours with more than your kid. You are borrowing trouble my friend.
smartpuppy

Johnson City, TN

#152 Aug 23, 2012
ThinkinMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so very right...AAU has been utilized by student/athletes for years...and in most cases, the teams are made up of a combination of students from several different schools. When my daughter played AAU, she enjoyed playing with some girls from several teams that she played against during her high school season. After seeing her develop some lifelong friends and gain a greater level of respect when she played against members of her AAU team, I can truthfully say that she does not look back on that time with regret.
To be honest, I am so glad that AAU was an option because she was your typical gym rat. She loved basketball and enjoyed all that went along with the preparation to play. She also learned that if she applied the same work ethic in the gym to her studies that she could excel at any subject. I am so thankful that she graduated in the top of her high school class and she has made the deans list in college....and she does not play college ball. It was her decision not to play ball in college and there has been no disappointment by us as her parents. She knew her own limitations and we respect her decision.
When I look back on her experiences, I know that she could have chosen to do something else other than basketball...but I see the character that developed in her because of those experiences...and I am appreciative of the opportunities that she had. Every parent wants their child to have it better than they themselves had...that is understandable. However; a successful student/athlete has to be willing to sacrifice their time and effort to get to the next level....whether it be making varsity in high school or gaining a college scholarship. Being a good parent means that you understand that your child is going to have to do the work to make the team and get playing time. You cannot do it for them.
There were times, early on, that I was one of those parents that sat in the stands and hollered instructions to my daughter. I remember once, she told me that she heard me hollering and that it embarrassed her. She also let me know that her coach had just said the same thing to her during the time-out...and it wasn't necessary for me to repeat her coach. From that point, I clapped, I cheered her on, and I congratulated her after the game...and that was all that she needed. I also have to admit that I actually enjoyed the games a lot more. Heck, I even cheered for her AAU team mates when they made a good play. Even parents can learn sportsmanship from their child's sporting life.
I love this post. You sound like a very smart man and a good father. I bet your daughter will go very far in life... it's amazing the lessons we can learn from a child if we just listen.
moma

Knoxville, TN

#153 Aug 23, 2012
Too Much wrote:
<quoted text>I feel sorry for your kids. You obviously have obcessive compulsive behavior. I don't know you but I would hope your kids mother has some compasion and is not afraid to stand up to you I am sure you will attack me because of this post just as you have EVERYONE else. But I can take it. Think about your kid having to loisten to your rants day in and day out. So sad.
Well first of all this will be the one and only post I make. Greg is a wonderful father. He has never pushed our kids into anything. They play the sports they want to play and nothing more. If truth be known I am the disciplinarian and he is the softy. He has chosen to respond to this thread because he has a passion for sports and only wants these boys that have transferred to be treated right. We all know that most schools in our area seem to focus more on the sports programs than education. Thats been going in for years along with the so called recruiting. It is just more out in the open mow than it used to be. Can't we all just agree to disagree about this?
As for Greg and smartpuppy, you both need to grow ip and get off this
Ignorant website. Its nothing but a breeding ground for cowards to feel strong and powerful. Goodnight and God Bless and pray for the safety and well being of all our young men and women. This world is hard enough without adults bickering over something that they have very little control over.
Listen To Your Children

United States

#154 Aug 23, 2012
greg andrews wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the past was pretty damn good! You are actually able to make kids listen to your show them the door discipline is sadly in the past and it shows in our young adults. My kids better listen to their coaches and treat people with respect or they won't want to come see me,
. You must be one of those fathers who are constantly telling their kids they are never good enough and they will spend the rest of their youth trying to please you. But when they grow up they will quit trying. Coaches EARN respect. They can't demand it. From your last statement that says if your kid dont respect a coach they had better not come see you..... From what I have seen out of A LOT of coaches over the years you sir are an idiot. You just put a coaches respect over your respect for your kid and YOU ARE WRONG. Your mentality is what is wrong with this County this Country for that matter . A few good ole boys see no evil, hear no evil and therefore will speak no evil. Ask Penn State how that worked out for them.
His son

Knoxville, TN

#155 Aug 23, 2012
Listen To Your Children wrote:
<quoted text>. You must be one of those fathers who are constantly telling their kids they are never good enough and they will spend the rest of their youth trying to please you. But when they grow up they will quit trying. Coaches EARN respect. They can't demand it. From your last statement that says if your kid dont respect a coach they had better not come see you..... From what I have seen out of A LOT of coaches over the years you sir are an idiot. You just put a coaches respect over your respect for your kid and YOU ARE WRONG. Your mentality is what is wrong with this County this Country for that matter . A few good ole boys see no evil, hear no evil and therefore will speak no evil. Ask Penn State how that worked out for them.
My dad is awesome! He only wants us to try our best and respect everyone. He is proud of me if i score 10 points or sit the bench the whole game. He taught me to work hard for my playing time. Some think they should play just cause they are on the team. Don't get on here and talk about my dad. He is nit hard on us at all about ball. He wont even let us play if our grades go down. So unless you can be nice dont say anything at all.
smartpuppy

Johnson City, TN

#156 Aug 23, 2012
His son wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad is awesome! He only wants us to try our best and respect everyone. He is proud of me if i score 10 points or sit the bench the whole game. He taught me to work hard for my playing time. Some think they should play just cause they are on the team. Don't get on here and talk about my dad. He is nit hard on us at all about ball. He wont even let us play if our grades go down. So unless you can be nice dont say anything at all.
If you have actually drug your child into this, then you are worse off than I ever suspected.... I really hope for his sake that your latest screen-name is "His son"!
Parent

Kingsport, TN

#157 Aug 23, 2012
All I'm gonna say is that if I see a coach like some of the ones that I have seen (wanna-bes) treat my child like the way they treat other kids....THEY WOULD DEAL WITH ME!!! I've been in sports with my kids from Jr Peewee all the way thru High School and they have learned great things from coaches that DO NOT YELL AND SCREAM at them! Real coaches TEACH with CLASS cause they KNOW THE GAME, others ARE OUT THERE TO BE SEEN AND WIN ONLY NO MATTER THE COSTS OR THE CHARACTER THAT THEY PROTRAY cause apparently they have to play the game thru the kids!
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#158 Aug 23, 2012
Knowledge,you did not ask a question several days ago, you made a statement. Your statement was the reason for this sorry thread. It was also full of lies. Hampton is not on probation and is not paying any fines. You achieved what you intended to do and that was to inflame others with lies. I have a question for you, where is the incompetent people that you speak of? I can assure you that they are not at hampton. I think you have had enough fun telling lies about hampton and that you should move on to something else.
His son

Knoxville, TN

#159 Aug 23, 2012
smartpuppy wrote:
<quoted text>If you have actually drug your child into this, then you are worse off than I ever suspected.... I really hope for his sake that your latest screen-name is "His son"!
i am not an idiot I know how to use a
Computer. My dad is asleep and I am supposed to be. One of my friends told me about this and i read it for myself. Thank you very much...
wow

Johnson City, TN

#160 Aug 23, 2012
I have to agree with smartpuppy on the last post. That is very sad. Causing a child any bit of emotional drama is uncalled for. Someone needs to investigate this situation. Don't tell me he found this on his own. If so, you need to pay attention to what he is doing and not what sport he is playing. I had so much respect for you Greg, until this. It was bad enough thinking the kids have heard you ranting about Topix, but getting them involved???? Seriously?? I just lost all respect for you as a dad and coach.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Listen here listen here! 22 min Christskid 3
John Claude Robinson 24 min Observing 165
Jason Barnette 6 hr Leo 1
Jerry Poole from Hampton (Aug '11) 10 hr Katie 34
Gas Tax 13 hr Notax 1
Subway Manager 18 hr Patron 22
Tax Increase,Leading from behind as usual. 20 hr Jenett 2

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance