Liberals who oppose using "Christmas"...

Liberals who oppose using "Christmas" during Holidays are Winning BIG!!!!

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
More Silliness

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Nov 21, 2012
Article copied this morning:

This is the eighth year I have looked into how the media treats these two topics: The use of "Christmas shopping season" vs. "holiday shopping season," and the frequency of Christmas and holiday layoff references.

I have done three sets of simple Google News searches each year -- the first in late November, followed by identical searches roughly two and four weeks later. I will wait until just after Christmas to relay the full results, but feel compelled to note the following relating to today's "shopping season" searches, namely that the proportion containing "Christmas" came in at the lowest I've ever seen.

Specifically, in searches done at 5 p.m. today, holiday shopping season" (in quotes) returned 20,400 Google News results, or 94.1% of the total, while "Christmas shopping season" (in quotes) returned only 1,290 results or 5.9%, the lowest percentage seen in my eight years of review.

Previous pre-Thanksgiving searches had the following percentage component results for "Christmas shopping season":
- 2005 -- 15.2%
- 2006 -- 13.0%
- 2007 -- 11.7%
- 2008 -- 10.1%
- 2009 -- 6.3%
- 2010 -- 7.4%
- 2011 -- 7.6%

This year's 5.9% result reverses slight improvements seen during the past two years of pre-Thanksgiving searches, and is over 60% lower than seen just 7 years ago (9.3-point decline divided by 15.2).

In a great column written with a broader theme last year, Tim Wildmon of the American Family Association called out retailers for their self-evident double standard :

The American economy depends heavily on people buying other people Christmas gifts each year. That is why the idea of “holiday” shopping is so ridiculous. No one buys gifts to celebrate Thanksgiving Day. The kids don’t run downstairs at 5:00 a.m. on New Year’s morning. Overwhelmingly, Americans exchange gifts with friends and family precisely because it is Christmas. Ask American retailers and they will tell you — it’s the most wonderful time of the year.
It is hypocrisy of the highest order for retailers to make their living from Christmas sales, and yet be too politically correct to even acknowledge that fact in their advertising, pretending that people are “holiday” shopping.
As I said last year: "The same goes for the press’s 'Christmas'-avoiding coverage."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2012/...
what tha

Sandy Ridge, NC

#2 Nov 21, 2012
Wow! I didn't realize how twisted and stupid we've become, and succumbed to the "politically correctness"in this country! That is very sad!....and A HUGE EYE OPENER!!!! Thanks for sharing your research! Now I don't know whether to hang my head, or still stand proud.....as we are,as a country, falling further and further from truths!
idiot

Abingdon, VA

#3 Nov 22, 2012
Who cares if you say "merry Christmas" or "happy holidays"? Seems like we have much bigger problems to worry about than how one person greets another around the holidays...geesh.
Old vet

Johnson City, TN

#4 Nov 22, 2012
what tha wrote:
Wow! I didn't realize how twisted and stupid we've become, and succumbed to the "politically correctness"in this country! That is very sad!....and A HUGE EYE OPENER!!!! Thanks for sharing your research! Now I don't know whether to hang my head, or still stand proud.....as we are,as a country, falling further and further from truths!
Stand proud dont ever give up.
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#5 Nov 22, 2012
I will wish everyone a Merry Christmas & if someone is stupid enough to not like it I will tell them to kiss my butt!
what tha

Lebanon, VA

#6 Nov 22, 2012
@idiot......sounds like your the only 1 who dosnt care! Still alot of Americans that do! So MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU, AND EVERYONE ELSE HERE....THINK I'll start saying it earlier this year than ever!
what tha

Lebanon, VA

#7 Nov 22, 2012
Thats how you do it granny!:)
Newcomer

Johnson City, TN

#8 Nov 23, 2012
Let's put Christ back in Christmas. Help others, volunteer in a soup kichen, put some gifts in a toy for tots box. Care and love and forgive!
truth

Elizabethton, TN

#9 Nov 27, 2012
Yes, "Christmas" is used less often. However, your results are skewed. For instance, I say Merry Christmas. However, I also know that most retailers have resulted to Happy Holidays with the idea of being all inclusive. Therefore, common sense says that holiday shopping will reveal more search results as retailers will title their ads as such. This doesn't mean that only 5.9% of people use "Christmas" anymore. It means that 94.1% recognize retailers have caved to political correctness and in order to get more results they have to search accordingly. Still sad, but not an accurate way to collect data at all.
Robert

Lees Summit, MO

#10 Nov 28, 2012
Well if we are not going to recognize Christmas anymore, I guess we should take away the national holiday on the 25th of December too? Or should we call it Holiday Day? P C Idiots!!!
truth

Albemarle, NC

#11 Nov 28, 2012
Robert wrote:
Well if we are not going to recognize Christmas anymore, I guess we should take away the national holiday on the 25th of December too? Or should we call it Holiday Day? P C Idiots!!!
This, I totally agree with. The political correct crowd wants Christianity kept out of schools, work, and government offices. They bash anything Christian at every convenience. Yet, they're more than happy to receive holiday pay and/or time off for CHRISTmas. They still put up a CHRISTmas tree and exchange gifts to celebrate CHRISTmas. They're more than happy to receive any possible benefit from CHRISTmas, but don't want to hear about it. That is a true hypocrite. Why aren't they lobbying to have it considered just another work day? Why aren't they petitioning school systems to stop shutting down for a make believe savior's celebrated birth? Quit buying presents, putting up trees, and lights? Refuse your company's CHRISTmas bonus? The fact is CHRISTianity is sewn into the fabric of this country. It's in our schools, our jobs, and our government. It's part of our daily lives. You can deny it all you want, but its a fact.

Since: Apr 12

Englewood, CO

#12 Nov 28, 2012
OldTennGranny wrote:
I will wish everyone a Merry Christmas & if someone is stupid enough to not like it I will tell them to kiss my butt!
Thats very Christian of you...

Since: Apr 12

Englewood, CO

#13 Nov 28, 2012
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This, I totally agree with. The political correct crowd wants Christianity kept out of schools, work, and government offices. They bash anything Christian at every convenience. Yet, they're more than happy to receive holiday pay and/or time off for CHRISTmas. They still put up a CHRISTmas tree and exchange gifts to celebrate CHRISTmas. They're more than happy to receive any possible benefit from CHRISTmas, but don't want to hear about it. That is a true hypocrite. Why aren't they lobbying to have it considered just another work day? Why aren't they petitioning school systems to stop shutting down for a make believe savior's celebrated birth? Quit buying presents, putting up trees, and lights? Refuse your company's CHRISTmas bonus? The fact is CHRISTianity is sewn into the fabric of this country. It's in our schools, our jobs, and our government. It's part of our daily lives. You can deny it all you want, but its a fact.
You folks are so silly. Chrisianity is not in the fabric of this nation. In fact the founding fathers made a point to ensure that religion kept its proper place, which is not in government, schools, nor in the workplace. If you folks spent more time actually being Christian and following the teachings of Christ and quit whining about nonsense like this then you would probably be much happier and the world around you would be a much better place to live.
hmmm

Abingdon, VA

#14 Nov 28, 2012
Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
You folks are so silly. Chrisianity is not in the fabric of this nation. In fact the founding fathers made a point to ensure that religion kept its proper place, which is not in government, schools, nor in the workplace. If you folks spent more time actually being Christian and following the teachings of Christ and quit whining about nonsense like this then you would probably be much happier and the world around you would be a much better place to live.
Couldn't have said it better! Part of freedom of religion is freedom FROM religion if one so chooses.

Since: Apr 12

Englewood, CO

#15 Nov 28, 2012
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't have said it better! Part of freedom of religion is freedom FROM religion if one so chooses.
I love to hear the poor oppressed "Christians". If they keep up the good fight, maybe one day they might have one of their kin elected to Congress or God willing maybe President one day.. Seriously...
give me a break

Jonesborough, TN

#16 Nov 28, 2012
I for one am tired of hearing about christmas or happy holidays from mid=october till jan1. it all gets old by then. the only thing worse is every four years we have to listen to "I am ========= and I approve this message".
Roland

Knoxville, TN

#17 Nov 28, 2012
I am an Atheist, but I support keeping Christ in Christmas. It is your holiday after all.
truth

Elizabethton, TN

#18 Nov 28, 2012
Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
You folks are so silly. Chrisianity is not in the fabric of this nation. In fact the founding fathers made a point to ensure that religion kept its proper place, which is not in government, schools, nor in the workplace. If you folks spent more time actually being Christian and following the teachings of Christ and quit whining about nonsense like this then you would probably be much happier and the world around you would be a much better place to live.
Actually, separation of church and state is not in the bill of rights or in the constitution. The first amendment says that we will not establish a single national religion. The only problem our founding fathers had with religion was the fact that the anglican church was in charge of appointing government leaders and establish laws. They were cherry picked to suit needs. However, the great majority of our founding fathers were Christian. They mention the creator in the preamble. Many historical letters demonstrate their own faith as well as the fact they knew this country wouldn't make it unless it counted on God. To this day congressional meetings are opened with a prayer. The first settlers here were Christian pilgrims. To try and deny this country's ties to Christianity would only demonstrate extreme ignorance.

Back to church and state. The supreme court is much like the anglican church. Its purpose is to interpret law, not pass new ones. It has repeatedly over stepped its boundries and written new laws. This should be considered an atrocity, yet we allow it. Our government instituted Bible study and prayer in schools. Our government put God's laws in courthouses. The supreme court over stepped its boundries to remove them. I challenge anyone to show me word for word in the constitution or the bill of rights where it definitively says church and state should be independent of one another.
Newcomer

Johnson City, TN

#19 Nov 29, 2012
Truth is absolutely right, the term separation of church and state was in a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to a church in Marsbury. He was assuring them that there would not be a government run church like the Church of England. It has been taken way out of context by people who want to deny the existence of God.
Robert

Lees Summit, MO

#20 Nov 29, 2012
I say we give the libs and the atheist what they want, no more Christmas. And take away the national holiday also. No more paid day off. I am sure they are against that!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eddie witten 3 hr DUH 5
Tester DUI 5 hr hmmm 4
Debbie Woods janitor at First Christian deleted? 7 hr Citizen59 28
You did not previously elect her...reject Kelly... 7 hr Citizen59 6
amy carrier (Sep '12) 12 hr Scotty Davis 36
Does anybody know josh Williams from little Sto... 12 hr Scotty 8
Charlie Austin (Mar '14) 17 hr Justin Spicer 10

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabethton Mortgages