Minister Terry Greer now charged with...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lisa

Great Mills, MD

#21 Jan 25, 2013
* wasn't the real him* sorry
Lisa

Great Mills, MD

#22 Jan 25, 2013
*but I know if my Aunt says this WASN'T the real him and he would have never done this before* sorry typos
Newcomer

Johnson City, TN

#23 Jan 26, 2013
I know Terry's parents and my heart goes out to them and I urge others to keep them in your prayer. I realize that gossip and speculations abound on topix but no one knows all of the facts. Yes it is wrong to murder and nothing an change that, but if the reason was traumatic brain injury, it is no longer a black and white case. I pray that the truth is found and I pray for all of those involved. My prayer is for comfort, mercy, understanding and justice.
Willard

Columbia, TN

#24 Jan 26, 2013
Here's the deal. He is going to be under lockup either way. If his brain injury caused him to go insane and kill his wife and attempt to kill his daughter, he will be housed in a locked ward in a mental hospital. If his condition does not meet the Alabama standard for insanity, he will be in prison. If he ever does regain his sanity, he likely will not be able to live with what he did, and will complete what he started. His lovely daughter and other family members are the ones who have to try and move forward with their lives. They still have lives to lead, dreams to fulfill.
His life for all practical purposes is over. Thats just the cold hard truth........
Willard

Columbia, TN

#25 Jan 26, 2013
And Terry's daughter, his parents, other family members, and the soul of his deceased wife need all the prayers they can get......

Its a tragedy in so many ways.....
Patricia

Biloxi, MS

#26 Jan 31, 2013
Well, in some recent article I read that Mr. Greer had already been for an evaluation in December. There was also a mention by his lawyer for the many reasons with one mention being medication. I am curious if he was given any of the weird psycho pills and if that could be a factor? The other reasons, personal problems, job problems or even head injury happen to many people. There have been cases in the past where people took the new meds and violence. Obviously something was already wrong but ? something to be explored as the only excuse I can really imagine. Often talk therapy works on people yet there appears a tendency to toss pills at everyone right away these days, suggesting over treatment in some instances if talk would work and isn't tried first.
Another thought, his daughter will know a lot but there could be some private between her parents that she was not aware too.
At an earlier date after reading about this horror, I tried googling the name of the worship minister who was arrested for soliciting sex with a minor and for whatever reason there are no detail available other than the arrest charge.
kimmie

Cowpens, SC

#27 Jan 31, 2013
He had a car accident, then a 20-30 foot fall that resulted in a bleed to his brain. Brain injuries can result in personality changes, aggressive behavior and overall loss of function. This could explain a lot. The Terry I know wouldn't hurt a fly in his right mind. Terry had been in a mental hospital until Christmas. He was probably released because of the Holiday.... Probably too early.
conway

Columbia, TN

#28 Feb 10, 2013
Whats the latest on Rev Greer's status?
Still in the hospital? Im guessing yes since there hasnt been anything in the news. Will he make bail when/if he gets well enough to be released from the hospital? I know the legal system must do its thing, but if he survives he will serve a life sentence of knowing what he did to his family and thats worse than anything the criminal justice system can do to him. Such a sad case all the way around. Mental illnes is the silent killer on so many levels.
Larry

Kingsport, TN

#29 Mar 3, 2013
I was wondering if anyone could plz give an up-date to this story. Has Terry been released from the hospital yet?
Stoney Creek

Johnson City, TN

#30 Mar 3, 2013
Thinker wrote:
As difficult as it will be, his daughter will be able to give great insight as to what was going on with her father. She will have observed enough to say if this was deliberate behavior, or if he had drastic changes in his personality and thinking.
A family can feel very helpless to deal with dramatic changes in behavior, and aren't really equipped to deal with the problem. Our former mental health system has been gutted in the last years, and doesn't provide the help that was available in the past years.
He will be evaluated as part of the legal process, which can't undo what has been done, unfortunately.
Even legal gun owners can become ill and a danger to themselves and others. A lot to think about in this day and time!
I do not see how you can blame this on the "system" i.e we gutted the mental health system. Please get off the soapbox before your illogic compells you to blame Ronald Reagan.

If he was sane enough to load and operate a weapon he was also sane enough to stop himself. It may simply boil down to a matter of control. Some overly religious people want to control others- especially their families. It's a form of mental illness in my opinion. The women who killed her minister husband a couple of years back used that defense successsfully. An abusively controlling spouse drove her to murder.

On the surface it appears that some kind of frowned upon behavior was, or he believed, about to be exposed. To a man who has based his personal and professional life on religious dogma it may have been too much. I'm glad the young woman had the self preservation sense to fight off his attack. Any sympathy should only be directed to her and his deceased wife's family.
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#31 Mar 4, 2013
Stoney Creek wrote:
<quoted text> Some overly religious people want to control others- especially their families.
I'm glad to see someone address this fact. I have a next door neighbor who is crazier than a June bug because her father was a Pastor who catered to the church & abused his family. He was so controlling that these kids are in their 40's & are incapable of functioning within society. They all have anger issues! They have been controlled by their father for so long they are terrified of making decisions on their own. Even though they know their father is wrong & they are murderously angry over it, they have been programmed by him for so long that they still obey whatever he says! Its a crime and should be addressed as such. I dont think there should be an age of limitation on child abuse and I think these ppl ought to be charged with child abuse because they mess up their wife & kids for life!
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#32 Mar 4, 2013
I must add to my post that I realize my post was off topic because I wasnt addressing the issue with Mr. Greer. I dont know anything about him or his family & I shouldnt have used this thread to talk about something else. It drives me nuts when other ppl do that & here I am doing the same...lol

Sorry!
old man

Kingsport, TN

#33 Mar 4, 2013
OldTennGranny wrote:
I must add to my post that I realize my post was off topic because I wasnt addressing the issue with Mr. Greer. I dont know anything about him or his family & I shouldnt have used this thread to talk about something else. It drives me nuts when other ppl do that & here I am doing the same...lol
Sorry!
I dont want you nuts so just dont do it no more .Anyways I am nuts enough for the both of us.
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#34 Mar 4, 2013
old man wrote:
<quoted text>I dont want you nuts so just dont do it no more .Anyways I am nuts enough for the both of us.
lol
dougmartin

Columbia, TN

#35 Mar 5, 2013
Terry Greer was released from a rehab hospital yesterday and went straight to jail, being held without bond for first degree murder. A hearing was held last friday that was not open to the press and the implication was that it was a bond type hearing which if so, wasnt successful; a gag order did come out of it. He is in Jefferson Co AL jail. His mugshot looks real rough. The look in his eyes tells more than his gaunt face. Google his name if you want to see the article.
No doubt he had/has a several disease of the mind but then again most murders are crimes of passion of some sort. Who in their right mind would kill a loved one? Praying for his surviving child and the soul of the wife he killed.
dougmartin

Columbia, TN

#36 Mar 5, 2013
meant 'severe' disease of the mind....
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#37 Mar 5, 2013
After all he has been through I would be surprised if he didnt have psychological issues.
forest gump

Kingsport, TN

#38 Jan 10, 2015
so terry gets found innocent by reason of insanity and then now he files a lawsuit against the hospital for not stopping him from killing his wife and trying to kill his daughter,
you gotta be kiddin me. but its true.
what a piece of crap and thats all ive to to say about that

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gord potter (Feb '17) 9 min GordHater 11
City Water Dept 44 min Todd stines 21
News Watson announces candidacy for Register of Deeds (Jul '10) 1 hr SHE and I 3
Danny Ward's campaign sign colors 1 hr MrTammyWard 1
Suggestions for good pest exterminator? 2 hr Just Saying 10
Scott Floyd mechanic POS snitch for the POS law... 3 hr Floyd Mayweather ... 1
Mark Lee Hartley POS snitch for the POS law enf... 3 hr Floyd Mayweather ... 1
TA Dugger Principal Change???? Fri Parent2004 2

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabethton Mortgages