Minister Terry Greer now charged with...

Minister Terry Greer now charged with Murder......

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LifeStrong

Columbia, TN

#1 Jan 15, 2013
Elizabethton native Terry Greer is charged in Gardendale Alabama with first degree murder of his wife and attempted murder of his 18 year old daughter. He shot both of them. The daughter survived by wrestling the gun from her minister daddy who then got a knife and stabbed himself as his wounded daugther ran for help.
He had physical problems and was on leave of absence from his church and apparently had secluded himself and decided to take his family out of the world with him. Google it; its all fact. He should get no sympathy. What he did is totally unforgivable.
People should be praying more for his daughter and the soul of his deceased wife. He committed a cardinal sin and will never see the light of day. Nothing can justify or excuse that. I dont care how good of a guy he was before. On Jan 10 he killed his wife and tried to kill his lovely daughter. That is how he will be remembered.
Have Mercy

United States

#2 Jan 15, 2013
No, that is not how he will be remembered. The truth will come out. Those who know Terry know that something went terribly wrong, something over which he had no control. I would bet my bottom dollar that the head trauma he suffered in a recent car accident resulted in brain damage that altered his personality. Terry Greer and his daughter need all the prayers we can send their way.
Michelle

Columbia, TN

#3 Jan 15, 2013
From what I read of the story, he had isolated himself for months and refused to see his friends and parishioners. No doubt he snapped and did something he will always regret but it doesnt appear to be a sudden thing; he had been percolating for awhile but would not let those who could help 'in'. I will pray for all but the young lady and her mom deserve the prayers more than he does.
Such a sad story. By all accounts he was a very good man up until his accidents so they obviously played a big role in all this.
Have Mercy

United States

#4 Jan 15, 2013
Yes, I think there was an accumulation of events that lead to his demise. A recent job transfer, open heart surgery, head trauma from an accident, terrible fall of a deck at his house, and, most recently, his minister of music or youth minister or something, was indicted for soliciting sex from a minor. Terrible string of events, but I really think the head trauma probably unglued him.
Observer

Columbia, TN

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Dont care how 'unglued' he was, there is no justification for taking the life of your closest family members. None.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#6 Jan 16, 2013
Was Terry Gerry a legal gun owner?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#7 Jan 16, 2013
Greer, that is..
Atm11

Johnson City, TN

#8 Jan 17, 2013
Observer wrote:
Dont care how 'unglued' he was, there is no justification for taking the life of your closest family members. None.
You obviously know nothing about head injuries and how they affect people. Feel free to educate yourself on this matter. Terry was a kind and gentle man and would have NEVER done this while in his right mind.
Thinker

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jan 17, 2013
As difficult as it will be, his daughter will be able to give great insight as to what was going on with her father. She will have observed enough to say if this was deliberate behavior, or if he had drastic changes in his personality and thinking.

A family can feel very helpless to deal with dramatic changes in behavior, and aren't really equipped to deal with the problem. Our former mental health system has been gutted in the last years, and doesn't provide the help that was available in the past years.

He will be evaluated as part of the legal process, which can't undo what has been done, unfortunately.

Even legal gun owners can become ill and a danger to themselves and others. A lot to think about in this day and time!
Cary

Columbia, TN

#10 Jan 17, 2013
One point about the daughter's position: It was based on her detailed statement to the police that they charged Rev Greer with first degree murder and attempted murder.
Have Mercy

United States

#11 Jan 17, 2013
Cary wrote:
One point about the daughter's position: It was based on her detailed statement to the police that they charged Rev Greer with first degree murder and attempted murder.
I don't think the police would have had much choice but to charge him. From all accounts, it appears as though he did indeed do it. He has to be charged, and then his lawyers will prove what went wrong with him that caused this terrible tragedy.
Cary

Columbia, TN

#12 Jan 17, 2013
I disagree. Having read the articles, it is very clear that the daughter's version is what caused the authorities to charge as high as they did. Had she indicated that he was deranged or in a fit of total disconnect, the the charge would have been second degree or manslaughter; no what she told them led them to charge him with the highest crime possible.
The Little Guy

Kingsport, TN

#13 Jan 17, 2013
I went all thru school with him and he was as gay as anyone can be. You need to read the comments, from people and the news articles. There are 3 different articles and there were Dark Secrets that has not came out. WIFE AND A DAUGHTER...... Something is wrong with that picture. I was in a business this past weekend and the workers were talking between themselfs and one of the ladies knows him very well and she told the other worker that is he was not queer, that she would kiss every cow in Texas a$$. He was in that place of business when he was in Elizabethton the last time he was home.
The Little Guy

Kingsport, TN

#14 Jan 17, 2013
THIS IS ONE OF THE COMMENTS FROM THE NEWS ARTICLE

larryn
You can stop the religon bit the methodist allow gay preachers(therefore get what they deserve) and everything else so they are no more a religon than a pack of wolves, read the bible. Most churches today are a total joke and teach what ever it takes to get members. If they profess being bible based and don,t teach it they should lose their tax exemption, hows that for solving our federal debt problems?
6 Days Ago Reply
Have Mercy

United States

#15 Jan 19, 2013
Are there any new developments in this case?
Lisa

Great Mills, MD

#16 Jan 23, 2013
LifeStrong who gave you the right to judge and who gave you the power to say what is forgivable and whats is not, None of you where there,you don't know what really happen or what he was going through and it does make a different who he was before this horrible day. He was not himself because of a car accident a few months before. People should really think about how there words and OPINIONS effect the ones who are suffering with this. You casing stones isn't helping anyone only making it harder on us all. So next time you want to judge someone stop yourself and remind yourself that it isn't and will never be your place.ONLY GOD. And to The little guy what does any of that have to do with this. Have a little respect for my family and put a sock in it would ya. Have you yourself ever witness such and act? Let me remind you of something you are a sinner just like everyone else so don't point fingers at people because you may be pointing one at them but 3 more are point right back at you, Ane let me remind you of the 8th commandment "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. is this not what you are doing. Why you are the pot calling the kettle black.
Good Home Needed

Kingsport, TN

#17 Jan 23, 2013
Lisa wrote:
LifeStrong who gave you the right to judge and who gave you the power to say what is forgivable and whats is not, None of you where there,you don't know what really happen or what he was going through and it does make a different who he was before this horrible day. He was not himself because of a car accident a few months before. People should really think about how there words and OPINIONS effect the ones who are suffering with this. You casing stones isn't helping anyone only making it harder on us all. So next time you want to judge someone stop yourself and remind yourself that it isn't and will never be your place.ONLY GOD. And to The little guy what does any of that have to do with this. Have a little respect for my family and put a sock in it would ya. Have you yourself ever witness such and act? Let me remind you of something you are a sinner just like everyone else so don't point fingers at people because you may be pointing one at them but 3 more are point right back at you, Ane let me remind you of the 8th commandment "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. is this not what you are doing. Why you are the pot calling the kettle black.
It was a horrible tragedy that your family has suffered and my thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and both families. But also The Truth Will Stand When The World Is On Fire, and if he was your family member, then you know the way he was and has always been. Remember I went all thru school with him, I spent 13 yrs with him. And if you spoke the truth then you would have to admit that his actions was very different from boys right on until adult-hood. I am judging no-one, but the Bible says by the fruit someone bears, Ye Shall Know Them. The Truth Will Set You Free, and the truth will come out.
Tommy

Columbia, TN

#18 Jan 24, 2013
Okay Bible thumpers, we get your point. But our society is a society of laws and when they are broken, one must pay for what they have done. Poor Terry. I say poor Lisa. His wife, who was only trying to help him was murdered by him. And his daughter, with her whole life ahead of her, would have joined her mom had she not fought back so hard.
By the way, thumpers, isnt the very FIRST COMMANDMENT, THOU SHALL NOT KILL? Terry Greer was obviously mentally ill; most criminals are when they commit crimes, although many, unlike Terry, are "self inflicted" mental illnes through drug/alcohol abuse. Make no mistake the day he did what he did, he was a criminal. Criminals are defined by their acts.
really

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jan 24, 2013
Since we are talking about the Bible, does 99% of the population even KNOW that using the phrase "Oh My God" is blasphemous against out Maker?? I hear it all the time on TV, on the street, everyday everywhere. Think about this and wipe OMG out of your vocabulary please!
Lisa

Great Mills, MD

#20 Jan 25, 2013
Really you people just don't get it do you, your saying forget about terry,poor Lisa and poor Suzanna. and yes we should be thinking about them but poor terry too. So if this was your brother or your father you would just forget about them,NO no one knows how they will act or handle something like this until your living it. Do you think i would have ever thought this could happen in my family yeah i here storys all the time about these kind of things but do you think I ever thought it could ever happen. No. And do you really think you bad mouthing her father is helping Suzanna at all, do you think she wants to see people bad mouth the only parent she has left and say things like he was gay, really, come on now, Yes What he has done is horrible but that doesn't change the fact that he is still her father and if any of you have children you know the love between a parent and child. And no terry wasn't remembering this love at the time because he was not himself. but I'm sure she hasn't forgotten it. and she will never forget the nightmare of that day that she will have to live with everyday of her life. None of this is helping her. and i also think if lisa had survived she wouldn't want to here any of this either. She would want answers on why her husband that she has loved for all these yrs snapped the way he did. I believe she would be by his side through it all trying to find out why and help him. And what about my Aunt what do you think this is doing to her this is her son and she is morning the lost of her daughter inlaw and facing the fact that it was at the hands of her son. And what does how he acted in school how many yrs ago have to do with it? People are weird in school we are all trying to find ourselves and figure out life we all go through our weird stages in life doesn't make us murders or gay. Trust me there are plenty of people i would have swore was gonna be gay growing up but are not. Anyways that's not the point I'm trying to make here. I'm just saying that people should stop and think about what you say or assume. we were not there and its not for us to judge. He will have his day of judgement. and as far as knowing how he was in school no i don't i live in MD have my whole life i can only base what i know off of what i have been told over the yrs and with our family visits. But i do know if my Aunt says this was the real him then He would have never done this before the accident then i believe her. Accidents can change people. and no this is not an excuse but could be the answers we are all looking for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terry Montgomery worst landlord in Carter county 13 hr Disgruntled 1
John Robinson and Melinda Buchanan 14 hr Agree 146
After school care for Carter County 15 hr Mom 6
Information Needed 21 hr Shadow 1
1981 Happy Valley church double murder (Feb '12) 22 hr So Sad 33
Whos Next in the Mayoral Running in carter county 23 hr Backwoods 10
Background Tue neverland pirate 2

Elizabethton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance