created by: Baseball Dad | Feb 17, 2009

Elizabethton, TN

96 votes

Should Eliz National Pull out of Little League?

Click on an option to vote

• Yes
  • No
  • Move to Dizzy Dean
  • Move to Cal Ripkin
  • Combine with CC American

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of54
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Baseball Dad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Last Month Johnson City National Little League voted to extend their boundaries into Carter County and even into Elizabethton City Limits and used an incorrect boundary description on file with the Little League Office submitted over 15 years ago that showed it was their boundaries. However they were never changed by ether league and for the past 15 years both leagues have been playing under the assumption that they only had boundaries in the Johnson City limits not Elizabethton and Carter County. If the new boundaries were enforced over 1/3 of the kids would not be able to play baseball with their friends at Elizabethton National that they go to school with. Their parents will have to drive to Keystone in Johnson City to play Little League baseball. Elizabethton National has appealed the decision by the local officials to the Little League Southern Region but it could take Months. So the ENLL voted to look at other leagues for our kids to play in until they receive a decision.

Since: May 08

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Is the ENLL not doing Dizzy Dean or Cal Ripkin?
another cc voter

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Yada Yada Ya wrote:
Is the ENLL not doing Dizzy Dean or Cal Ripkin?
Dizzy Dean
MIKE M

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

I believe I read on a post eirlier that David Baines would run the ENLL in the ground! Looks like he is well on his way to doing just that! Where will the kids play all-stars? I think they'll have to travel to Chattanooga for the first round while the American L.L. will be in the Tri-Cities. Looks like some people made a quick decision that wasn't thought out very well! I think Cal Ripkin will benifit from their stupidity. See ya'll at S.M.
another cc voter

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

The reason for the decision to play Dizzy Dean this year is because half of the ENLL area was taken away from them. When the maps were drawn several years ago, they were drawn in error. The maps gave JCNLL approx. half of ENLL's area. The maps show the JCNLL area to come all the way down Milligan Highway to the lower entrance to Cedar Grove Rd., which is only about 1 mile from the ENLL field. The ENLL board of directors has worked tirelessly to get this resolved but to no avail. They were told by the LL district chief that it would be resolved, but it ended up going to JC. An appeal has been sent to the Southern Region, but this will take a couple months to be processed and decided on.
There are plenty of local tournaments for the all-stars to play. The state championship tournament in held in Chattanooga. They can proceed on the the World Series, should they keep winning.
Dizzy Dean also better prepares the kids for school baseball than does LL. I don't think ENLL has to worry about Cal Ripken at SM. There are more than enough kids, over 90 signed up so far this year, in West Carter County that prefer to play at ENLL. With Dizzy Dean, there are no boundary restrictions, so I suspect their league will probably grow because of the new direction they have chosen.
As for David Baines, he is only one voice on a seven member board of directors.
Baseball Dad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Judged:

I believe Mike M is Mike Mech Director of Operations at Smokey Mountain, Nice Try.
ENLL is ran by a board of directors not just one person. David Baines is just one person on the board with one vote.
(He has donated over $2000 worth of dirt and sand for the new field for the seven and eight year old to play). Smokey Mountain is a (for profit) league unlike ENLL. Because of the low turnout at Smokey Mountain they have even offered to let ENLL run their league through the week if they went with Cal Ripkin, they just want the money from the weekend tournaments. As for the All Star for Dizzy Dean we would be able to host the tournament here.

Since: Nov 08

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Understanding that it probabley takes allot of money to operate a complex like Smokey Mountain I think its all about the money .They dont even have fountain for the children to get a quick drink of water .
Baseball Dad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

They do sell water there, and you want to see then get upset just try and bring some in with you.

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Baseball Dad wrote:
They do sell water there, and you want to see then get upset just try and bring some in with you.
I know I have bought it .I have heard kids ask parents for something to drink and the parent not have the money .I dont think a drink of water for a thirsty child is asking too much.Its all about the money

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

You know what, you are completely right. They don't have a water fountain. I have never noticed that. I have noticed that you pay $1.50 for a bottle of water PLUS TAX!! How crazy is that?

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

A friend ask for her water bottle to be filled that the snack bar they told her their water was not suitable for drinking. All about the money
Baseball Dad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

I am sure if that were true they would have to post signs because I have seen kid drink from the sinks in the bathroom. Maybe we need to call and have the water department check them out? I thought the water problem was in the Little Milligan, Poga area, not Stoney Creek.

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Baseball Dad wrote:
I am sure if that were true they would have to post signs because I have seen kid drink from the sinks in the bathroom. Maybe we need to call and have the water department check them out? I thought the water problem was in the Little Milligan, Poga area, not Stoney Creek.
Ithink we both know that bull$$$$they sell bottle water 1.50 they are not going to give it away .I am not to tight to buy a bottle of water that not my point kids get thirsty and dont allways have money .

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Alot of parents drop their kids off there or send them with other people without money
Baseball Dad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Don't get me wrong, Smokey Mountain is a great place and an asset to our community and on the weekends kids have a great time there. It dose cost some and I like the way he has the Copperhead teams made up of Local Star Kids they get some great competition he does not charge for those kids to play in the tournaments but, the parents have to pay about $14 per person per weekend to watch. Cheaper than a movie and popcorn.

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

The Copperhead teams are suppose to be made up of kids from the Smoky Mountain league. However, most of the teams are made up of kids that play through HV, the EBGC, and local youth clubs.
Baseball Dad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

No they have tryouts for most of the Copperhead teams with kids from all over the Tri Cities playing on them.
another cc voter

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

I think this thread has gotten off track.
Gym Star

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

I read in the Star that you can pick up a form to sign up for the new Elizabethton D.D. league at Instant Replay Sports. Not sure who is trying to make more money, Instant Replay or Smoky Mountain? Pick up a form, buy a glove, some cleats, a bat, batting gloves, and don't forget that they will be printing the uniforms for the league. Thank David for all that he is doing for the kids while you're there!!

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

They all have have allot invested and should make money but sometimes it does seem like thats all its about. I have grand children Iknow about the cost.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of54
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Elizabethton Forum right now

Search the Elizabethton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 9 min WTSenior 124,124
Dont Vote For an Egotistical Woman for Criminal... 24 min Phyllis 11
Elizabethton Star's Non Compete Policy 45 min Charlie 1
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word**** (May '10) 1 hr cathouse cowboy 2,120
Cochran qualified 1 hr Money man 4
elderly lady all alone 1 hr problem is 9
Carter County Schools 2 hr Carter County Graduate 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Elizabethton Jobs

•••