Ed Alexander and the School Board

Ed Alexander and the School Board

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

Since: Oct 12

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Oct 11, 2012
We have an opportunity to change the way the priorites in the schools are being set if we vote for school board members who do do not blindly vote the way Ed Alexander wants.

It is shameful that a $5 million dollar stadium, which will raise taxes, is being considered while the schools are overcrowded. I believe it was Matt Cooter who explained that the schools are all over 40 years old but taxes would have to be raised to alleviate the problem. Which is more important? Schools and programs that benefit all students or a stadium for athletes? Athletics are an important part of the educational experience, but not an the expense of the education of all students. Very few high school athletes go on to make their living as professionals.

The current school board has consistently voted 3 to 2 in favor of Alexander's agenda. Two of these are not running for re-election since their children are no longer in the school system. Apparently, their interest in the school system has diminished. The third still has children in school and relatives employed by the system, so still has an avid interest. She has consistently praised Alexander, regardless of his actions, and pressed to give him a long-term contract.

Is this what Elizabethton wants? He was a good teacher and he knew his students by name, but does this make him a good administrator with a long-term vision for our schools? Elizabethton used to compete scholastically with the top schools in this area. Is this still the case?
Election

Johnson City, TN

#2 Oct 11, 2012
If we had elected superintendents then maybe we could elect someone better-qualified than Ed. But if we just vote in an anti-Ed crowd what we're going to send up with is another David Roper who hates parents and children alike and insults our community. As it stands Ed has his heart in the right place and all we really need is just one more fiscal conservative on the Board to provide balance.

But I don't see any of the candidates actively saying that's what they are so how are we supposed to differentiate them from the incumbents?
Be-bothered

Jonesborough, TN

#3 Oct 11, 2012
I hoped that they wouldn't be anti-Ed or pro-Ed, but independent thinkers who could combine interests of children with interests of taxpayers, knowing that it will always be a balancing act.
walker

Johnson City, TN

#4 Oct 14, 2012
Some people have no clue whats going on. a new addition is planned for tad. yes ehs needs a new football stadium, i would be glad to take you to ed's office and show you the plans, besides the new stadium if everything works out will not raise our taxes.
Plans

Kingsport, TN

#5 Oct 14, 2012
We seen the plans for the new jail too that was not suppose to be as expensive as it was either...BUT it's for the pits! We all want but we do not sit down and THINK it thru! Anything can look good on paper!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carl Ray Nidiffer and Meth Clinic 2 hr to be seen 8
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word**** (May '10) 6 hr delilah 2,255
special needs children in carter county 7 hr Star 67
Justin Stines 10 hr long lost friend 1
pookie 14 hr stevie 1
Amy West and Chip Chambers 14 hr Sassy 61
carlie guy (Jul '13) 15 hr Main B 3
More from around the web

Elizabethton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE