Mr. Ed Alexander is breaking my heart

Posted in the Elizabethton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ex-EHS student

United States

#1 Jun 28, 2011
I protested in Ed's favor when he was unjustly fired (twice) as principal of EHS. I thought he would make a fine Superintendent. But $5 million for a football stadium? And at the same time defending EHS' lack of AP classes and practical education classes? It's like he has done a total flip-flop on his values, which used to be anti-athletic waste and pro-student. I am so confused.
Betsy Blogger

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jun 29, 2011
You are seeing Ed as he really is. I DID NOT run to his support when 2 different superintendents tried to deal with him. By the way he was not fired by either super. He was suspended by Dr Lynch and re-assigned by Dr Roper. Our school system will be much better when he retires and or we have a change in our school board members.
Major Edens

Cleveland, TN

#3 Jun 29, 2011
Another one of Councilman Sam Shipleys many acomplishments.Councilman Shipley help Tammy Ward in her recall campaine.

Since: Apr 09

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jun 30, 2011
Ex-EHS student wrote:
I protested in Ed's favor when he was unjustly fired (twice) as principal of EHS. I thought he would make a fine Superintendent. But $5 million for a football stadium? And at the same time defending EHS' lack of AP classes and practical education classes? It's like he has done a total flip-flop on his values, which used to be anti-athletic waste and pro-student. I am so confused.
It's really funny to hear from so many disillusioned Ed Alexander lovers. So many people jumped to his defense without even considering WHY he was suspended by Dr. Blevins and reassigned by Dr. Roper. During that time did you even speak to board members or Dr. Roper about the situation? I'm assuming you didn't since you didn't know he wasn't even fired. As I stated in a previous thread about Mr. Alexander, this football stadium is his chance to get his name on something in the school system. It would almost be worth it if he would retire and leave the system.
Betsy Blogger

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jun 30, 2011
Hopelessly Hopeful wrote:
<quoted text> It's really funny to hear from so many disillusioned Ed Alexander lovers. So many people jumped to his defense without even considering WHY he was suspended by Dr. Blevins and reassigned by Dr. Roper. During that time did you even speak to board members or Dr. Roper about the situation? I'm assuming you didn't since you didn't know he wasn't even fired. As I stated in a previous thread about Mr. Alexander, this football stadium is his chance to get his name on something in the school system. It would almost be worth it if he would retire and leave the system.
Hopeless, I want little Ed gone also but I am not williing to spend $5 million to do it or see his name ANYTHING. Did you hear about him blowing up and making an ass out of himself at the Rotary meeting a couple of weeks ago? He was politely asked a couple of questions and proceeded to loose his cool. The little man can explode without much notice.
Ex-EHS Student

Johnson City, TN

#6 Jul 1, 2011
Hopeless, I DID try to speak to Mr. Dr. Roper Sir face-to-face about Ed. All I got were a couple lies and a bunch of shifty half-truths. Whatever my disagreements with Ed are now, Roper was a scumbag both in general and for trying to "re-assign" Ed to a broom closet.

I also spoke to the Board members who continued to support Roper. Their basic response was always the same: "we don't have to listen to the people." They found out otherwise.

So let's not equate that brand of scum with Ed, EVER.

I do think another poster hit on the problem though: Ed is TOO receptive to parents' gripes and has let that cloud his financial judgment. But that's a far cry from the character assassination going on here.

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jul 1, 2011
Ex-EHS Student wrote:
Hopeless, I DID try to speak to Mr. Dr. Roper Sir face-to-face about Ed. All I got were a couple lies and a bunch of shifty half-truths. Whatever my disagreements with Ed are now, Roper was a scumbag both in general and for trying to "re-assign" Ed to a broom closet.
I also spoke to the Board members who continued to support Roper. Their basic response was always the same: "we don't have to listen to the people." They found out otherwise.
I do think another poster hit on the problem though: Ed is TOO receptive to parents' gripes and has let that cloud his financial judgment. But that's a far cry from the character assassination going on here.
I would love to hear specifics on the lies and half-truths. As for the board having an I don't have to listen the the people attitude, it's just not true. For over a year Tammy Ward, Sharon Erwin and company would take up the entire time alloted for the public to speak at every board meeting. The rants and tirades were often degrading and insulting. If you attended a meeting during that time you would know. As for Dr. Roper being a scum bag for reassigning Ed, if you work in the real world you know that people are transitioned to new positions for many reasons. If two different administrators felt he shouldn't be in a particular position, then he probably demonstrated behavior to cause the action. I have reason to know Dr. Roper wasn't a scumbag, but he was a tough administrator. He was also a devout Christian. I have seen Ed do things to people that would make you shudder, up to and including ruining careers. His attitude is you're either with me or against me and their is no room other thoughts or opinions. Again, if you have specifics I would love to hear those, instead of calling someone names. Another thing I wouldn't equate Ed with Dr. Roper because their is no comparison.

Johnson City, TN

#8 Jul 1, 2011
Betsy Blogger wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopeless, I want little Ed gone also but I am not williing to spend $5 million to do it or see his name ANYTHING. Did you hear about him blowing up and making an ass out of himself at the Rotary meeting a couple of weeks ago? He was politely asked a couple of questions and proceeded to loose his cool. The little man can explode without much notice.
You are so right he has a very short fuse, and he demonstrated it well during the meeting. I'm just glad Mr. Pectol had the nerve to question him and allow the little man to explode. As for saying I thought it was worth it to build a stadium, if he would retire and leave the system, I was only kidding. I am vehemently against the idea, and I can't believe the audacity and nerve of him to even suggest it when so many people in this community are struggling to keep their heads above water. Reality apparently eludes him.
Yep

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jul 1, 2011
Bi Polar Ed
Betsy Blogger

Johnson City, TN

#10 Jul 2, 2011
Ex-EHS Student wrote:
Alexander has been a disruptive force in our school system going back to the firing of Dr Wetzel over a basketball coach. Danny Smith, Dave Ryder and Ed wanted to fire Len Dugger. Dr Wetzel disagreed and it cost him his job. Alexander has had problems with EVERY admistrator he has served under, even his own sister-in-law. He can not get along. When Dr Roper arrived and he also found Alexander hard to work with, and knowing the fuss that ocurred when Dr Lynch suspended Alexander, he still moved forward to deal with an employee who could not act as a team member. That showed me leadership. He could handled himself better publicly but he did what needed to be done. Being a team member is not in Ed's DNA. If you think there is peace in our school system today talk privately with a few teachers and you will find differently. That is assuming they will speak out as many are justifiably fearful of his retribution.
Elly Fant

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jul 2, 2011
"Alexander has been a disruptive force in our school system going back to the firing of Dr Wetzel over a basketball coach. Danny Smith, Dave Ryder and Ed wanted to fire Len Dugger. Dr Wetzel disagreed and it cost him his job."

And you conveniently leave out the fact that Ed and Coach Ryder wanted to fire Dugger because he violated TSSAA rules by arranging for a foreign student to come play here and, with Bob Sams, raised money to pay for it; and that the TSSAA threatened to suspend Elizabethton from ALL sports participation if Dugger continued to coach in any capacity whatsoever.

That and Ed's demand that the Athletic Boosters account for their spending (which would have revealed, of course, lots of boozey parties where the coaches were serving alcohol to minors humping the cheerleaders and female athletes) are why so many of the town's athletic obsessed rich folks hate Ed. But the recall election revealed how slim a minority those people actually are in this town.

Around here "hard to work with" is just code for "doesn't roll over and give the rich what they want." Yeah, Ed can have a short fuse; but if you had people constantly telling half-truths about you like what has happened here, you'd have a short fuse too.
No More

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jul 2, 2011
Elly Fant In Duggers defence TSSAA investigated but found no wrong doing. The reason he wanted Dugger out was he had 1 strong personality in Ryder he did'nt need to deal with 2 any longer.Ed wants all around him to be team players. Its always his game his rules and his team. If he along deems that anyone is not a team player then he wants ride of them. It can be over anything any violation of anything he see's wrong. If you mess around with students that is usually ok, but if it gets out and can be an embarressment then you would go if it can be hidden then it can be used to force you into his devoute service, where nothing is ever questioned. If you do you pay the price, if you voice your opinion or ed forbid dis agree then you pay the price. If you voice anything ed forbid he does'nt like then you pay the price. It is totalitarianism with a hint benevolentr power involved
Jdub

Mount Juliet, TN

#13 Jul 2, 2011
Taxes are going up in this crooked town no matter what. might as well get a stadium for it.
Good

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jul 3, 2011
Good point.
What If

Elizabethton, TN

#15 Jul 4, 2011
The bottom line of this whole mess is that Mr. Ed should NEVER have been appointed director of schools in the first place. Roper was rode out on a rail and this and the new school board set the stage to put Mr. Ed in the Captian's chair. Exactly what he wanted. But despite his humble act, he wants to be the BOSS. He wants to answer to no one and when he says jump, the board and city council is supposed to ask "HOW HIGH"..do the same thing with Mr. Ed that was done with Roper. GET RID OF HIM!!!
Betsy Blogger

Johnson City, TN

#16 Jul 4, 2011
What If wrote:
The bottom line of this whole mess is that Mr. Ed should NEVER have been appointed director of schools in the first place. Roper was rode out on a rail and this and the new school board set the stage to put Mr. Ed in the Captian's chair. Exactly what he wanted. But despite his humble act, he wants to be the BOSS. He wants to answer to no one and when he says jump, the board and city council is supposed to ask "HOW HIGH"..do the same thing with Mr. Ed that was done with Roper. GET RID OF HIM!!!
I agree! Problem is we can not get the right people to run for the school board

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jul 6, 2011
What If wrote:
So you were all for running Dr. Roper out of town, because he tried to change things, but you don't like Mr. Alexander either. With this kind of attitude which seems to be pretty popular in this community, who in their right mind would want to put themselves through the beating they would have to take? Everybody wants things to change, but as soon as someone ruffles the wrong feathers, you start hearing cries of "run 'em out of town" and heaven forbid we get someone outside of the area. Then you get the ever popular "they ain't from around here."

Johnson City, TN

#18 Jul 6, 2011
Betsy Blogger wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! Problem is we can not get the right people to run for the school board
No one wants to go through what some of the other board members went through, so Mr. Alexander can easily keep his majority. He had this well planned out with the recall and firing of Dr. Roper, but Dr. Roper had the last laugh!!!!!!!
Betsy Blogger

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jul 7, 2011
Hopelessly Hopeful wrote:
<quoted text>No one wants to go through what some of the other board members went through, so Mr. Alexander can easily keep his majority. He had this well planned out with the recall and firing of Dr. Roper, but Dr. Roper had the last laugh!!!!!!!
You are correct Roper did have the last laugh on us and Little Ed. But don't forget the check the school system wrote went to Roper's attorney, not Dr Roper. I know that makes me feel a whole lot better. What a sad excuse for an educator is Ed Alexander!

Johnson City, TN

#20 Jul 7, 2011
Betsy Blogger wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct Roper did have the last laugh on us and Little Ed. But don't forget the check the school system wrote went to Roper's attorney, not Dr Roper. I know that makes me feel a whole lot better. What a sad excuse for an educator is Ed Alexander!
Granted it was more of a moral victory than monetary, but being cleared of any wrongdoing will be a bigger payoff in the longrun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabethton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any docs in Eliz taking new patients? 5 hr Living in Tn 1
Lori Turner (Aug '11) 6 hr Concerned Parent 19
911 bonus 7 hr See ya pal 3
Judy Moles Whitaker (May '13) Wed Jag15 18
can u buy fireworks with foodstamps? Wed SuperStar 15
Car Store of Elizabethton my rating: F Wed Customer 6
Joe holtsclaw Wed How it is 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabethton Mortgages