Excessive spending may be part of HRS...

Excessive spending may be part of HRSD's water billing problem

There are 28 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Mar 19, 2008, titled Excessive spending may be part of HRSD's water billing problem. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

Filed by Lori Crouch Excessive spending may be part of HRSD's water billing problem Posted: Updated: Airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, all adding up to thousands of dollars in cash may be part of the cost ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chris Everton

United States

#1 Mar 20, 2008
It's a shame that a company like HRSD, who does tons of stuff to protect the enviroment, help the community, and promote possitive growth, is being thrust into negative publicity. Whatever happened or did not happen, HRSD and the people who work here, would never take advantage of their position. I believe it is all a common case of human error, not deceit.
Dixie

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Mar 20, 2008
I'm SURE this will mean greatly reduced water bills..
IT professional

West Chester, PA

#3 Mar 20, 2008
13 million for a billing system? It should have been closer to 3 million at most. Who is overseeing this group?
Billy R Smith

United States

#4 Mar 20, 2008
My wife & I lived there for many years & raised our family there. Water bills were so high could never understand why since we were so careful not to waste water. Now we all know why!
Tom Page Suffolk

Chesapeake, VA

#5 Mar 20, 2008
I have paid over 500.00 in a single month.......I called them about it but I was told that the bill was accurate....I think a class actionb suit is in order.........
Brenda McIntosh

Norfolk, VA

#6 Mar 20, 2008
I haven't received a bill since Aug., 2007 - I've about given up trying to call about it.
Tracy Jones - Chesapeake

Melfa, VA

#7 Mar 21, 2008
My water bill was close to $200 (double) several months! They couldn't find a problem with those bills, said the bill was accurate, and I had to pay it. The next month it was under $100. The next bill was back up to $200! Our water usage is the same everyday, so HOW can it be under $100 on one bill and $200 on the next bill??? I want a refund!!
Colleen Lynch- Toano VA

Williamsburg, VA

#8 Mar 21, 2008
I have lived in James City County for 14 years. Never in that time did my family have a HRUBS bill for more than $115 for a quarter.

We moved to a new house in James City County about 5 miles away and our bill is $1,200.00 for slightly less than a quarter. Our water useage supposedly went from 14,000 gallons a quarter to 87,000 gallons for the same 3 people.

I certainly hope HRUBS will stop this speak of they stand behind their bill and begin looking to find the problem.
Diddy

Shippensburg, PA

#9 Mar 21, 2008
I think a public outreach program is needed here...people need to realize that HRSD's billing system only takes the water usage REPORTED BY THE CITIES like Chesapeake (through the use of reading a water meter at the home owner's property line), add the wastewater treatment fee, and then sends the bills. If there is an error with water usage, its the city's problem...not HRSD's. Now if there is a delay in getting a bill, that's a different story.

For those people that complain about not getting a bill, well let's see, you should have a budget in which part of that budget has a payment for a water/wastewater treatment bill. If you don't get a bill for a month or so, it doesn't mean that you should go out and spend how ever much you allocated for that amount. People just think, "Hey...I didn't get a bill this month...that means I have $150-$200 extra to spend!!!"
kathy

Chesapeake, VA

#10 Mar 24, 2008
dig deeper I had to pay the bill
Debbie Forehand

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Mar 25, 2008
I just heard someone from HRSD justifying some of there recent issues saying. there could be problems with reading meters. It is my understanding that HRSD does not read your water meter. There fee is based on the usage from your water bill. The amount of usage is the same on both bills and they come the same day.
red

Chesapeake, VA

#12 Mar 26, 2008
Diddy wrote:
I think a public outreach program is needed here...people need to realize that HRSD's billing system only takes the water usage REPORTED BY THE CITIES like Chesapeake (through the use of reading a water meter at the home owner's property line), add the wastewater treatment fee, and then sends the bills. If there is an error with water usage, its the city's problem...not HRSD's. Now if there is a delay in getting a bill, that's a different story.
For those people that complain about not getting a bill, well let's see, you should have a budget in which part of that budget has a payment for a water/wastewater treatment bill. If you don't get a bill for a month or so, it doesn't mean that you should go out and spend how ever much you allocated for that amount. People just think, "Hey...I didn't get a bill this month...that means I have $150-$200 extra to spend!!!"
sounds like you work for HRSD.....
red

Chesapeake, VA

#13 Mar 26, 2008
I still smell a good law suit.......
ivory08

Portsmouth, VA

#14 Mar 26, 2008
I definitely think there is a problem. I was obviously one of the lucky ones b/c I stopped getting a bill in August 07, and contacted them by email in October and was told 6 more weeks to get a bill..then I was told February... after a couple months I threatened to contact the better business bureau, i dont know if that helped or not but 2 days later i got a response and i got my bill within a week. My bill was a normal bill, since I had been making a regular payment even though I wasnt getting a bill.
Ive since moved from that house, and currently live where the water is covered by the landlord.
FYI the contact person I communicated with was jackie starowicz, email: [email protected]
Bob

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 Apr 6, 2008
First the bill went from $100 to $160, then the ultimate surprise: a dramatic jump to $366! My sister was renting a room in my house, but moved out a couple of months ago...so I know that water usage must have dropped. But the bill went up! Customer service was no help, I guess I'll have to pay it....sigh....
Seeker of the Truth

Norfolk, VA

#16 Apr 6, 2008
HRSD is conducting a special purpose audit of the Customer Accounts Receivable System contract file. The Audit will prove the responsible HRSD managers provided excellent contract management and the new GM failed to do his homework before he made statements.
Seeker of the Truth

Norfolk, VA

#17 Apr 6, 2008
If Wavy TV 10 is really on the HRSD rate payers side, and is concerned about expenses; look at the new general managers expenses. Its amazing what you can learn.
Hogges Septic

Hayes, VA

#18 Apr 7, 2008
We pay thousands of dollars each year to dump septic/grease waste at HRSD. Our billing was also messed up. It doubled the following month. It currently costs us $62.00 to dump a thousand gallon residential septic tank. With diesel fuel at almost $4.00/gal, we are forced to pass this increase on to our customers or close business. This is ridiculous. I hope they audit the whole system, especially since we are so highly regulated by them.
Ashton Haywood

Hampton, VA

#19 Apr 7, 2008
Is it coincindence that Ted Henifin left his last job as Hampton's Public Works Director shortly after the discovery of corruption in his department involving the misspending of taxpayer monies? It seems that he is now repeating his history of being careless with the public's money. The first incident was swept under the rug by Hampton's leadership who were probable beneficiaries. In both cases my money helped finance the wrongdoing and I would like to see someone punished for it. Have we come to a place where the misuse of public monies is considered business as usual?
Diddy

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Apr 8, 2008
red wrote:
<quoted text>sounds like you work for HRSD.....
Nope not at all...I just like to learn about different issues in the area and I care very much about the Hampton Roads area. Red...if you think a lawsuit will take care of this...you are a classic example of what is wrong with this nation. I may sound like I work for HRSD but you sound like you work for an ambulance chaser...aka attorney office

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr Oh well 20,085
Looking for a jason troy (Jul '13) Sun hatesdeadbeats 7
Groomer Updates Sun Caravan 1
Dave and Busters allowed to build in New Jersey Jul 29 WackAMole 1
NPD Compares Mayor To An Ape In Facebook Message Jul 27 Rebound 1
News Scott Leahy, 37, Avenel (Jul '07) Jul 26 Steve_TN 74
Review: El Pico De ORO Restaurant Jul 26 Chulita 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabeth Mortgages