With Riverfront Park, Newark reacquai...

With Riverfront Park, Newark reacquaints itself with the Passaic River

There are 63 comments on the The Jersey Journal story from Aug 3, 2013, titled With Riverfront Park, Newark reacquaints itself with the Passaic River. In it, The Jersey Journal reports that:

Newark's Riverfront Park, a three-acre recreation area along the Passaic, officially opened today, the latest step in a decades-long crusade to reclaim a city waterfront long marred by pollution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jersey Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Angela torrisi

United States

#1 Aug 3, 2013
Another sign of newarks rebirth and revitalization. Bravo!
Angela torrisi

United States

#2 Aug 3, 2013
Another sign of newarks comeback and rebirth. Bravo!!!
Marty deluisi

United States

#3 Aug 3, 2013
Great day for the city of newark. I wish it much sucsess and goodwill.
Dr laurelli

United States

#4 Aug 4, 2013
Great for newark! I plan on purchasing a small motorboat and using the new marina too. Now that the passaic river in newark is much cleaner now i hear the fishing is pretty good. I heard reports of people catching striped bass, river trout, northern pike, channel catfish,perch, shad and even freshwater salmon. I saw a few snapping turtles too. Newark is becoming a great place to live work and play yet again. Cheers for the new newark!!!
Sandra simmnns

United States

#5 Aug 4, 2013
Yes i agree, newark is on its way back.
Sandra simmnns

United States

#6 Aug 4, 2013
Yes i agree, newark is on its way back to its former glory.
Gerard

United States

#7 Aug 4, 2013
Yes there is a lot of new development going on in newark. That is good to see it happening.
Ed schwartz

United States

#8 Aug 4, 2013
I heard that the fishing on the passaic river in newark aint that bad too. I caught 2 bluefish on my lunch hour. Good for newark.
Paul butler

United States

#9 Aug 5, 2013
Yeah im thinking about getting a cabin cruiser boat and using the new marina in newark on the passaic river too, and im going to do some flounder fishing. My friend caught 3 mackrel and a brown trout in 1 hour down there.
Al farone

United States

#10 Aug 5, 2013
I tell you newark is on the rise, it is good to see all the new development all over town. I saw some mallard ducks on the river in newark and many snapper turtles too. That means the river is a lot cleaner than it used to be. Im going to do some fishing too.
Al farone

United States

#11 Aug 5, 2013
Yes the passaic river in newark is a lot cleaner now than it used to be thats why we are seeing more snapping turtles,mallard ducks, blue heron and all kind of freshwater fish. It is good for newark all this new development. I plan on doing some trout fishing down at the new riverfront park.
Bill cappiello

United States

#12 Aug 5, 2013
I am proud and happy to see the new riverfront park and marina in newark.
Ron freda

United States

#13 Aug 5, 2013
I am happy to see and enjoy the new riverfront park and marina in newark on the cleaned up passaic river. I plan to do some fly fishing also.
Bob Weir

United States

#14 Sep 6, 2016
Yes the Passaic River In Newark is a lot cleaner because of the EPA forcing companies that used to discharge chemical waste into the river to pay for it's cleanup and dredging. Yes there are wildlife and fish, like brown trout, northern pike, channel catfish, perch, shad and even striped bass in the Passaic River In Newark, snapper turtles, blue heron, and pelicans too. Many people boating and fishing, new marina on Roanoke Ave and Smith's Marina on Riverside Ave In north Newark. These are all signs of the lower Passaic River getting much cleaner. I think it is great!
Mickey Hart

United States

#15 Sep 6, 2016
Yes it is great, the lower Passaic River In Newark is cleaner than it was ten years ago for sure. I have a small motorboat and I fish and cruise on the Passaic River In Newark area on weekends mostly. I have seen the wildlife return to the river, turtles, frogs, all kinds of fish and birds, beautiful new marina on Roanoke Ave. I also think that it is terrific.
Bruce Hornsby

Newark, NJ

#16 Sep 7, 2016
Mickey Hart wrote:
Yes it is great, the lower Passaic River In Newark is cleaner than it was ten years ago for sure. I have a small motorboat and I fish and cruise on the Passaic River In Newark area on weekends mostly. I have seen the wildlife return to the river, turtles, frogs, all kinds of fish and birds, beautiful new marina on Roanoke Ave. I also think that it is terrific.
mYes I have too and I think it is great,the different things to do on the lower Passaic River In Newark, fish, water ski, wave runner, it's cleaner and more acceptable for people to boat cruise the Passaic River In Newark area. I use the new marina on Roanoke Ave myself. A lot of turtles and salamanders, frogs, all kinds of birds like blue Heron, swans, mallard ducks. Go see for yourself, you will be surprised at what you see, in a good way.
Phil Lesh

Newark, NJ

#17 Sep 7, 2016
Bruce Hornsby wrote:
<quoted text>
mYes I have too and I think it is great,the different things to do on the lower Passaic River In Newark, fish, water ski, wave runner, it's cleaner and more acceptable for people to boat cruise the Passaic River In Newark area. I use the new marina on Roanoke Ave myself. A lot of turtles and salamanders, frogs, all kinds of birds like blue Heron, swans, mallard ducks. Go see for yourself, you will be surprised at what you see, in a good way.
Yes I have been down on the lower Passaic River In Newark with my sailboat and we loved it, very clean now, and make sure you bring a fishing pole because fishing there is great, all kinds of fresh water fish, including Halibut and river bass.
Jerry Garcia

Newark, NJ

#18 Sep 7, 2016
Hello, just wanted to say that the lower Passaic River In Newark is very clean now since the government made the chemical companies that used to discharge in it pay for the environmental cleaning Of the whole lower Passaic River In the Newark area. That's why you are seeing more fish and other wildlife return, because it's cleaner than before. I have a small motorboat and I use the marina on Riverside Ave In north Newark. I've caught a lot of fish of all kinds, snapper turtles, red tailed Hawks, bullfrogs, and salamanders. Northern pike, shad, brown trout, perch,river catfish, small mouth bass and more. I am proud of the lower Passaic River and how it made a complete turnaround.
Vince Welnick

Newark, NJ

#19 Sep 7, 2016
Jerry Garcia wrote:
Hello, just wanted to say that the lower Passaic River In Newark is very clean now since the government made the chemical companies that used to discharge in it pay for the environmental cleaning Of the whole lower Passaic River In the Newark area. That's why you are seeing more fish and other wildlife return, because it's cleaner than before. I have a small motorboat and I use the marina on Riverside Ave In north Newark. I've caught a lot of fish of all kinds, snapper turtles, red tailed Hawks, bullfrogs, and salamanders. Northern pike, shad, brown trout, perch,river catfish, small mouth bass and more. I am proud of the lower Passaic River and how it made a complete turnaround.

I agree with you one hundred percent, I cruise on the lower Passaic River In the Newark area and have seen the complete transformation of the river. Fish and other wildlife have came back because it's cleaner than it was before the government made the companies pay for the cleanup and remediation. I cruise the Passaic River In Newark with my 32 foot catamaran and I have caught all types of fresh water fish including striped bass and brown trout. I have seen blue Heron, red tailed Hawks, snapping turtles, frogs, water snakes, and even harbor seals! They have came back because the water is alot cleaner than it used to be.
Brent Mydland

Newark, NJ

#20 Sep 8, 2016
Vince Welnick wrote:
<quoted text>

I agree with you one hundred percent, I cruise on the lower Passaic River In the Newark area and have seen the complete transformation of the river. Fish and other wildlife have came back because it's cleaner than it was before the government made the companies pay for the cleanup and remediation. I cruise the Passaic River In Newark with my 32 foot catamaran and I have caught all types of fresh water fish including striped bass and brown trout. I have seen blue Heron, red tailed Hawks, snapping turtles, frogs, water snakes, and even harbor seals! They have came back because the water is alot cleaner than it used to be.
Also the Passaic Valley Sewage Commission in conjunction with the Newark Water & Sewer Dept have two skimmer boats that go out every day to collect floating debris on the lower Passaic River In the Newark area, they really make a big difference. They depart from the Wilson Ave Dock in Newark every weekday morning to gather floating debris, branches, litter. They are about 50 feet long and are painted blue and white. They really make a big difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump protestors in Newark vow after inaugurati... Fri democrat 65
should illegal aliens and refugees get to stay? Feb 23 democrat 14
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Feb 22 democrat 20,852
should illegals get to stay without a green card? Feb 22 democrat 2
News Paterson landlord hires armed security Feb 22 Larisa Kalaschenkow 1
Union, NJ Psychic Angie From The Kawameeh Area ... (Jan '12) Feb 21 maria7687 2
NEW JERSEY Hells angel Sex OFFENDER support on ... (Sep '13) Feb 19 Psycho 2 6

Elizabeth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elizabeth Mortgages