My Music: Doo Wop Love Songs

Nov 30, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KQED-TV San Francisco

Duration: 1:58:53 CC Stereo The 1950s and Doo Wop love songs go hand in hand like two straws and a shake. via KQED-TV San Francisco

Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Aug 31, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim

AOL

#1 Dec 3, 2007
I love what TJ Luninsky has done by bringing the old groups back together, however, I'm about as sick as I can be with all the LIP-SYNCING!!! Let them sing the damn songs, flaws and all. I could play the records if I wanted to, but I don't, I want to hear them sing!

Thanks
Jim Crouch
Musician
Nashville, TN
ShoBizzzz@Aol.Com
joe gilligan

Wayne, NJ

#2 Jan 20, 2008
i am a member of a doo wop band called reminisce , we do around 50 shows each year, and large part of the crouds we play for are under 30 , and they know all the words in the old songs, after all they grew up with this music. this music is not about to die anytime soon.. see and hear us at www.oldieswithreminisce.com
Lou Esposito

Calverton, NY

#3 Feb 14, 2008
This post is to Jim...Hi Jim, My name is Lou Esposito..I'm the baritone/guitar player for the Capris...When we did Doo Wop 50 for Tj Lubinsky all of the groups sang live...Which show are you talking about? I do agree with you if this is the case...Lou
Eric Schusterman

Centereach, NY

#4 Mar 10, 2008
No-one lip syncs at T.J.'s shows-in fact no one lip syncs at any live shows.I went to two of the shows in May-they were great shows-original arrangements and as many original members as could be found(or still alive).The girls who sang back up were terrific.I know Donna Groom from The Skyliners but didn't recognize the other two singers.The one girl did a great job on Lion Sleeps Tonight-you don't normally hear that part live and it's such an essential part of the record.A quick R.I.P. to Bill Pinckney-this was one of his last shows and to Ronnie I who brought so much of this music back.Ronnie & UGHA will be greatly missed.
Linda Williams

United States

#5 May 23, 2008
Does anyone have any information as to whether or not T.J. Lubinsky will be making any more "live" Doo Wop productions for PBS? There's a group of us that travel to different states just to see live Doo Wop shows and to be able to attend one of Lubinsky's productions would be fantastic. Thanks.
Louie

AOL

#6 Jun 26, 2008
Lou Esposito wrote:
This post is to Jim...Hi Jim, My name is Lou Esposito..I'm the baritone/guitar player for the Capris...When we did Doo Wop 50 for Tj Lubinsky all of the groups sang live...Which show are you talking about? I do agree with you if this is the case...Lou
They may not lip-sync the shows live, but in post production, before hitting PBS, secondary tracks are often used to clean up music and vocal tracks. I'd rather here everything the exact way that a person attending the taping would have heard it. Know what I mean?

Jim
Lou Esposito

East Hampton, NY

#7 Aug 11, 2008
Hi Jim...Yeah, I do know what you mean..Didn't think about that...I remember doing one of the last shows Tony Williams of the Platters ever did, and even though he couldn't hit all the notes of his hits it didn't matter..We all knew we were watching a legend..That was more then good enough...

Lou
Jean

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 29, 2008
I think the Doo Wops is the greatest thing that has happen to television in many years and I love it.
Katyinnc

Des Moines, IA

#9 Jan 16, 2009
I wish Sirius would bring back TJ so we could have our Doo Wop every week, Sirius stinks without TJ, they really made a mess of things we love when they took TJ off, wish they would get their heads together and know when they have a Master at Music, which TJ truly is. His shows go to prove it, he knows all about Doo Wop and we should be able to share this with TJ like we did for so long on Sirius until XM about took over, instead they call it a merger. DUH!!! WE WANT TJ BACK, THANK YOU!!!!
Debbie

Newark, NJ

#10 Mar 15, 2009
Linda Williams wrote:
Does anyone have any information as to whether or not T.J. Lubinsky will be making any more "live" Doo Wop productions for PBS? There's a group of us that travel to different states just to see live Doo Wop shows and to be able to attend one of Lubinsky's productions would be fantastic. Thanks.
Please post if anyone hears of the shows in 2009 in the NJ/NY area. I want to see it too.
michael mcgehee

Fairfield, CT

#11 Apr 3, 2009
to whom this may concern when are you going to put the vibrations a show? sincerely,yours michael mcgehee
Nancy

Wappingers Falls, NY

#12 Apr 3, 2009
Debbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Please post if anyone hears of the shows in 2009 in the NJ/NY area. I want to see it too.
I have e-mailed TJ, Ch13, PBS, everyplace I could think of to find out where the Doo Wop concerts are held. I desperately want to go to Pittsburgh for a huge concert but no one is telling - it must be a secret -
michael mcgehee

Bridgeport, CT

#13 May 20, 2009
the vibrations was one of the greatest groups that i ever saw.these guys were a very exciting act,they would bring the house down at the apollo,uptown,paramount,and the brooklyn fox theaters.the vibrations also had many hits like watusi,peanut butter,cindy,misty,stranded in the jungle.but i dont understand why this group never gets the credit that they deserve?i truly hope that this type of thinking changes towards this great group soon.sincerely yours,michael mcgehee
Tony Damato

Pompano Beach, FL

#14 Jun 6, 2009
Ames Brothers - "Melodie D'amour" - Just heard this on http://www.salestron.com/index.html... . While the song was from the 50's, I did not remember it until about 2006 when I read an article about the Mills Brothers version of the song. I preferred the Ames Brothers rendition a bit more...it was from a time when songs were not shouted out over the background of drums and electric guitars.
Katy

Fairbank, IA

#15 Jun 6, 2009
Linda, On Sunday nights online, go to www:wjrz.com from 7 to 11 and TJ is on. Though not all Doo Wop, he has blocks of it and it is great. He said he will being his last Doo Wop show next year,( I assume 2010), I guess many of the greats have passed on, but he gave us all so much this far, thank heavens for a man like him... listen in on Sundays, he hs many, many listeners from his Sirius show listening now to him, being Sirius has made a joke of Doo Wop now. Hope this helps you, I would do anything to go to a show myself, am listening each week to get info from TJ, he is just Awesome!!!
Linda Williams wrote:
Katy

Fairbank, IA

#16 Jun 6, 2009
Anyone know where I can buy this DVD, I loved the show and I cannot find this DVD anyplace, Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks all!!!
Jim wrote:
I love what TJ Luninsky has done by bringing the old groups back together, however, I'm about as sick as I can be with all the LIP-SYNCING!!! Let them sing the damn songs, flaws and all. I could play the records if I wanted to, but I don't, I want to hear them sing!
Thanks
Jim Crouch
Musician
Nashville, TN
ShoBizzzz@Aol.Com
michael mcgehee

Bridgeport, CT

#17 Dec 11, 2009
to tj lunbinsky,would you please do a show on the hullabaloo television series of the sixties.this tv program had many great performers,the english groups,rhythm/blues groups,plus movies stars.this television program hasnt been seen in years.i think this would be a very good project for you to present to the public again.the wpa library has many of the film footage of this program yours truly,michael mcgehee
michael mcgehee

Bridgeport, CT

#18 Jan 28, 2010
to mr.tj lunbinsky would you find and do a show on the television program soul.this show was on channel thirteen in the late sixties and seventies.this program had many great rhythm and blues artists and other interesting artists.this program was produced by ellis hazlip.i hope that you will take the time and research this project.i would surely like to see this program again in the near future. sincerely yours,michael mcgehee
Bob Nowell

Acworth, GA

#19 Jan 30, 2010
Linda Williams wrote:
Linda- I have been thinking the same thing. Have you heard anything about another concert? I love DOO WOOP.
Bob Nowell

Acworth, GA

#20 Jan 30, 2010
I have been trying for years to find another concert to match the one on PBS. I think this was the first one mabe the l950. I would love to fine a DVD of this one. It was ended with in the still of the night. Please, someone tell me where I can find a DVD. Bob Nowell bobnowell@bellouth.net

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Duh 18,857
Any Gays/Bi's Near Elizabeth Nj? (Feb '13) 14 hr Call Me Papi 8
Review: Tiger Supplies Inc. (Jan '14) Thu DrakeSpec 7
Review: Mango (Oct '08) Aug 26 LAPI 14
Review: Rich's Plumbing - 24 hour emergency plu... (Sep '12) Aug 25 Eugene Dean 5
Port Authority 113th Recruit Class Graduation -... Aug 24 Kush 1
karma is very real; Aug 19 heather clinton 2
•••

Elizabeth News Video

•••
•••

Elizabeth Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Elizabeth People Search