Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 20 comments on the Jun 6, 2013, Denver Post story titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2534 Jul 2, 2014
*what th-*?
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2535 Jul 2, 2014
Poncho wrote:
<quoted text>
Like molesting children is ok as long as you don't get caught.
There ARE laws against - uh ...that.
and it's NEVER OK to do that.
Whatzit got to do with the lack of legal precedent in this case?

do you require assistance with that other thing?
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2536 Jul 2, 2014
looks like we stirred somethin' up- They Never actually post, Just the nuts, bulbs n trash.
This ALWAYS shows up at any mention of uh --
that other thing.
Sounds like someone's in trouble up there and they need a safe place to land.
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2537 Jul 2, 2014
HMT 123.000
Runway 23
wind SW 5-15 mph
....clear for final approach
-over-
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2538 Jul 2, 2014
More debris n trash.- guess ya couldn't be expected to know that's aviation Unicode for our airfield in Hemet CA.-It's an invitation to land.
If you're having troubles with that thing Poncho was squawkin' about I am a safe place, but contact me on the Hemet forum 92545.
It would be insensitive of me to discuss this over Colorado.
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2539 Jul 2, 2014
Do you want cake?
Can anyone provide proof of already existing law that either protects the married couple from discriminatory exclusion from service by the bakery
or
Already existing law that specifically compels a proprietor to perform a service for a customer, implying that said proprietor shall be legally bound to accept payment and perform said service regardless of personal objection for any reason.
This can't be civil rights legislation, its gotta be current 2014 state or federal law specifically focused on protection of LGBT or same sex marriage.
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2540 Jul 2, 2014
http://politix.topix.com/story/12873-after-ho...
NOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM
there are already law in place to protect LBGT folks on this, but I know that's not good.
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2542 Jul 3, 2014
ok, i'm sorry I called Ruth Ginsburg the Drama Queen Justice. She was right on this one. I was trying to find out where we are with all this when that story came up about the letter from all the religious folks to Obama. I've taken enough measurements well enough to understand the hidden meanings of certain things that happen on this forum. I now Know the real force that's driving all this controversy over *** rights and s.s. marriage and we are not prepared for this. We CANNOT prepare for this or stop it. I determined by reaction to post #2538 it's too late to even discuss it.
Although the president seems to mean well, he's making this much worse by pushing an agenda that fully half of all Americans are ready to fight over.
Reason is dead. Intelligence is worthless. Education is dangerous.
Doing the right thing is an insult. Failure is success.
WE ARE HERE. I won't say what the force is that's driving this, But i'll say I have a modern battle axe and a tomahawk from the Estwing Tool Co. should anyone wish to bring me any of this filth

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2543 Jul 3, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Abolition occurred in spite of Christianity, not because of it. The god of the Bible was an undeniable supporter of slavery.
Christians practiced slavery for nearly 2000 years. Only after the Enlightenment, which was based on secular principles, did Christians begin to eliminate it.
<quoted text>
Wedding cakes are usually delivered to the location. Delivery of a product is not participation nor support.
If you weren't referring to delivery, what were you getting at?
<quoted text>
Chinese food can symbolize whatever it wants. That's the prerogative of the Chinese cook. Who are you to say his beliefs are "nowhere near the SAME" as yours, and not deserving of protection?
You only want protection for the religious beliefs YOU accept.
<quoted text>
You missed the point. Again. Providing a product is not participation nor support for whatever a customer chooses to do with that product.
“Abolition occurred in spite of Christianity, not because of it. The god of the Bible was an undeniable supporter of slavery.” You need to re-take American history and maybe a few Bible studies.

“Christians practiced slavery for nearly 2000 years. Only after the Enlightenment, which was based on secular principles, did Christians begin to eliminate it.” The WORLD practiced slavery… Again, take a history class. It’s truly sad you have no understanding of history.

“If you weren't referring to delivery, what were you getting at?” A wedding cake is not simply “delivered”.

“Chinese food can symbolize whatever it wants. That's the prerogative of the Chinese cook. Who are you to say his beliefs are "nowhere near the SAME" as yours, and not deserving of protection?” What!? That’s why you are intellectually dishonest.

“You only want protection for the religious beliefs YOU accept.” I am not the one asking the government to punish someone because they don’t believe the same as I do.

Location hidden

#2544 Jul 3, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's THE factor
The ABENCE of a husband or a wife is THE factor.

Location hidden

#2545 Jul 3, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly act like it.
<quoted text>
No, but if you are being consistent, you have to. Why can a baker ignore anti-discrimination laws due to his religion but not ignore labor laws due to his religion?

“You certainly act like it.” No.
“No, but if you are being consistent, you have to.” Based on what? Please share the religion that holds sacred child labor and idolizes holy cockroaches in salad? This is more evidence of your intellectual dishonesty.

Location hidden

#2546 Jul 3, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it would be called discrimination.
<quoted text>
Sorry, kiddo, making a cake for someone with differing religious views in no way infringes upon the free exercise of the baker.
<quoted text>
I'm not the one arguing in favor of discrimination, you are.
Wow… Reaching and grasping for straws.
You can justify it however you desire, but as we read through all of your posts it is clear you distain anyone who’s beliefs differ from your own then you call them names, demonize them and then support government to punish them despite our Constitution.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2547 Jul 3, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Abolition occurred in spite of Christianity, not because of it. The god of the Bible was an undeniable supporter of slavery.” You need to re-take American history and maybe a few Bible studies.
That's your need, not mine. The Bible god supports slavery and this was a primary justification by American slaveowners, who were Christians.

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance."
Respect71 wrote:
The WORLD practiced slavery… Again, take a history class. It’s truly sad you have no understanding of history.
My understanding of history is far superior to yours, which is whitewashed. No kidding people all over the world practiced slavery. The point was that Christianity did not eliminate it. Secular values did.
Respect71 wrote:
“If you weren't referring to delivery, what were you getting at?” A wedding cake is not simply “delivered”.
Then what is it? Does the baker show up to the wedding and perform a show and then hug everyone in the wedding party and declare "This wedding is awesome"?
Respect71 wrote:
“Chinese food can symbolize whatever it wants. That's the prerogative of the Chinese cook. Who are you to say his beliefs are "nowhere near the SAME" as yours, and not deserving of protection?” What!? That’s why you are intellectually dishonest.
Answer the question. Who are you to declare that the baker's Christian beliefs about marriage are more important than the Chinese cook's beliefs about his food?
Respect71 wrote:
“You only want protection for the religious beliefs YOU accept.” I am not the one asking the government to punish someone because they don’t believe the same as I do.
Nor am I. You are the one who won't support law-breaking unless the law-breaker shares the same beliefs as you.

Location hidden

#2548 Jul 3, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is there an absence of a husband or wife? You guessed it! Because the couple is gay.

Location hidden

#2549 Jul 3, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
Based on what? Please share the religion that holds sacred child labor and idolizes holy cockroaches in salad? This is more evidence of your intellectual dishonesty.
Childlaborism and Cockroachanity. Religions are arbitrary inventions; they can be created at the drop of a hat.
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2550 Jul 3, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Christians practiced slavery for nearly 2000 years. Only after the Enlightenment, which was based on secular principles, did Christians begin to eliminate it.” The WORLD practiced slavery… Again, take a history class. It’s truly sad you have no understanding of history.
YOur'e interesting because at times you present a true middle of the road view on this issue, but your more recent posts show your true feelings toward marriage between s.s. couples. THAT's ok, it's a normal human response to many issues. yes it's two faced, but i'll be the devil's advocate here. People go through life and end up knowing "what the know". They try to adjust to new experiences and conditions, but their feelings about those experiences are going to rule the day. We haven't come so far away from our feelings and INSTINCTS on ANY issue. when the s.s. marriage issue came up in Spain, King Juan Carlos V made it legal without a second thought. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN HERE. Based on peoples gut reaction to many issues in the U.S. I feel sure we will re-attempt slavery, abolition and Old Time Religion, where no one will hear you screaming for help. I don't actually think it's all that much better in the LGBT community either. ABUSED people ABUSE others, that's a G*D DAMNED scientific FACT! WHO really needs ANY OF IT?

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2551 Jul 3, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
Wow… Reaching and grasping for straws.
I know, you have been for some time.
Respect71 wrote:
You can justify it however you desire, but as we read through all of your posts it is clear you distain anyone who’s beliefs differ from your own then you call them names, demonize them and then support government to punish them despite our Constitution.
I do hold a healthy contempt for anyone who argues for equality under the law, while at the same time arguing that people should be able to project their religious morals onto others be discriminating against them.

Your arguments are utterly irrational, and hypocritical.

I'm sorry that you are too slow to see that it does not infringe upon the religious freedom of a business owner to provide service to someone who holds differing beliefs.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2552 Jul 3, 2014
Distain (verb)
1 archaic : stain
2 archaic : dishonor

Disdain (noun)
1 : a feeling of strong dislike or disapproval of someone or something you think does not deserve respect
2 : a feeling of contempt for someone or something regarded as unworthy or inferior : scorn
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2553 Jul 3, 2014
1 : a feeling of strong dislike
2 : a feeling of contempt
I told you feelings would rule the day in my reply to Respect71.
It's not ONLY him. It's EVERYONE!
we're NEVER real and honest about our FEELINGS, because they reveal our true selves to others which makes us
VULNERABLE.
The most UN-acceptable FEELING in America.
let's not discuss that anymore.....BYE!
..........trail of fire!)
View of Eternity

Hemet, CA

#2554 Jul 3, 2014
I'm not judging anyone or trying to insult when i say same sex marriage -under PRESENT conditions- is the living DEFINITION of vulnerability.
AND guess what? If a same sex couple is vulnerable in MY presence, then I am vulnerable in THEIR presence as well. because this situation is naturally more energetic and volatile than with an easy-going Hetero-couple who are under no threat of disapproving behavior from others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabeth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 34 min You can call me Dick 17,444
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 3 hr Reverend Alan 3,226
You rule the planet. How do you save the human... (Dec '12) 3 hr Independent1 1,316
News Denver neighbor groups concerned about future o... Thu olo 1
Attn: Birth parents and Adoptees - Reunite at Thu joanNYadoptees 1
Help! Looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom place for my... Apr 13 peralta21 1
News Brush Family Dentistry offers welcoming environ... (Dec '13) Dec '14 JohnCOnner 4
More from around the web

Elizabeth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]