Betsy Long: Alleged wrong-way drunk driver is...

Jul 7, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Westword

Elizabeth "Betsy" Long is accused of drunkenly driving the wrong way on I-25 and causing a crash that killed Mary Warren , a young CSU grad bound for the Peace Corps.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bira

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 8, 2010
 
Betsy Long is the Sandra Jacobson of Adams County. Jacobson is currently serving a long sentence for killing two Connecticut librarians. She drove drunk, she killed the two women, she didn't stop.

Justice can only be served when Long also goes to prison for killing Mary Warren.

The only substantive difference between Long and Jacobson is that Long's car was destroyed in the accident. Otherwise, she would have continued on her way.

She had previously forced others off the road, hit at least one, and kept going. I see Long and Jacobson as roommies somewhere in one of DOC's finest cells.

Perhaps Long can make the most out of it though by teaching the Department of Corrections some of her vaunted sustainability techniques.
Noel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 9, 2010
 
She Killed an young girl with all her dreams in from of her. She should pay for it long time. Its not far she took Mary's life away and dosent even care how heartless is she. Mary had dreams and goald she was only 22. How can this long do this to her and not care who she killed.
Bira wrote:
Betsy Long is the Sandra Jacobson of Adams County. Jacobson is currently serving a long sentence for killing two Connecticut librarians. She drove drunk, she killed the two women, she didn't stop.
Justice can only be served when Long also goes to prison for killing Mary Warren.
The only substantive difference between Long and Jacobson is that Long's car was destroyed in the accident. Otherwise, she would have continued on her way.
She had previously forced others off the road, hit at least one, and kept going. I see Long and Jacobson as roommies somewhere in one of DOC's finest cells.
Perhaps Long can make the most out of it though by teaching the Department of Corrections some of her vaunted sustainability techniques.
Archie Bunker

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 21, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

0.252 Blood Alcohol Content

Driving As Fast As 75 MPH

ALLEGEDLY, Driving The Wrong Way, Hitting Two Cars.

KILLING ONE PERSON - Injuring Two Others.

Accused Only Of Vehicular Manslaughter.

Bail Set At Only 10,000 Dollars.

This "person's" Bail Should Have Been At Least One Million Dollars Full Cash Bond.

She Should Be Charged With Murder, Attempted Murder For The Two Who Were Injured.

As Micah Said, If Daddy Has Big Money, She Will Probally Be Offered A Plea Deal. Let's Hope Not.

Pray, That When The Trial Begins, Her Jury Will Find Her Guilty Of Any And All Charges And The Judge Will Impose Maximum Sentence.

More Likely, She Will Serve Ninety Days In Rehab, Then 3 Years Probation.

Then Every Week When She Meets Her Probation Officer, They Will Form A Group Hug And Sing "Lean On Me" Or " Kumbaya"

Edith Agrees
Missy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 21, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Why does this murderer get different treatment because she was drunk? She is in an inpatient treatment facility when she should be in jail. It is the same as if she had put a gun to these women's heads. For that, she would have been in jail, but alchohol still gets special privileges. She is a murderer none the less.
pinkey nails

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 21, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Tired of hearing of the backroom plea deals. Does she think if voluntarily admitting herself to a substance abuse treatment program will ease her sentencing after conviction? Sounds like the parents are to blame. Alcohol is abused any more. I thought alchol was for a special occaisions, maybe a glass of wine with Sunday dinner. but these days seems like many abuse alcohol, drinking it every day. Alcoholism has no barriers, whites, blacks, hispanics and others are affected by this disease. It is a genetic disease. Someone does not have to be on the streets to be alcoholic. If someone has cancer, they accept it and get treatment, but with alcoholics there is always denial. I quit drinking 16 years ago and never have missed it.
Dude

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 22, 2010
 

Judged:

1

If you read her website she talks about social sustainability as well as environmental. It is always amazing to see the ones that preach social responsibilty being the ones that have none.
Rich

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 23, 2010
 
She's a monster, plain and simple. She should pay for her crimes, but will get the best possible defense team money can buy. Expect her to walk with a slap on the wrist, at which point she'll move from Denver and recreate herself elsewhere. Maybe she'll go work for Daddy at Grandpa's company:
http://www.longlines.com/about/history.php
Sober

Lewisville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 24, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

pinkey nails wrote:
Tired of hearing of the backroom plea deals. Does she think if voluntarily admitting herself to a substance abuse treatment program will ease her sentencing after
conviction? Sounds like the parents are to blame. Alcohol is abused any more. I thought alchol was for a special occaisions, maybe a glass of wine with Sunday dinner. but these days seems like many abuse alcohol, drinking it every day. Alcoholism has no barriers, whites, blacks,
hispanics and others are affected by this disease.
It is a genetic disease. Someone does not have
to be on the streets to be alcoholic. If someone
has cancer, they accept it and get treatment, bu
t with alcoholics there is always denial. I quit
drinking 16 years ago and never have missed
it.
I hope she finds help and gets into AA. Drunk driving and accidents are not murder. An alcoholic never intends to hurt anyone. I will not judge the hypocrites, I know she will suffer with the guilt of taking life no matter what sentence she gets. Keep Coming Back.
Archie Bunker

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 24, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

The Only Help This "female" Needs, Is 50-60 Years In Prison.

Drunk Drivers, Who Are In Accidents And Kill People Are Murders.

THIS "female" MADE A DELIBERATE CHOICE TO DRINK, GET IN AN AUTOMOBILE AND DRIVE.

So Drunk In Fact, That she Didn't Know She Was Driving The Wrong Direction, Would And Could Not Stop When she Hit The First Automoble.

DO NOT PREACH TO ME THAT she NEEDS AA!!!!
DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES FOR her!!!!!
she CHOSE TO DO THESE THINGS!!!!!

she Needs To Spend Life In Prison. In My Opinion, she IS A MURDERER!!!!!

Edith, Most Definitely Agrees!
Sober

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 25, 2010
 
Bira wrote:
Betsy Long is the Sandra Jacobson of Adams County. Jacobson is currently serving a long sentence for killing two Connecticut librarians. She drove drunk, she killed the two women, she didn't stop.
Justice can only be served when Long also goes to prison for killing Mary Warren.
The only substantive difference between Long and Jacobson is that Long's car was destroyed in the accident. Otherwise, she would have
continued on her way.
She had previously forced others off the road, hit
at least one, and kept going. I see Long an

Jacobson as roommies somewhere in one of
DOC's finest celh
by teaching the Department of Corrections some
of her vaunted sustainability techniques.
Did you look up Long's arrest record while you were stalking her Facebook page? Jacobson was a habitual drunk driver that refuses to admit she has a problem with alcohol. Long is in treatment. Those 2 will never come in contact with each other. Jacobson will end up in Canon City and Long will be in a halfway house. The court system does find justice along with fairness for those that accept responsibilty and are willing to make a drastic change. I hope Long has the strength and the willingness to be a part of AA and move forward from the tragedy she will live with for the rest of her life.
Carrie T

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 25, 2010
 
Long is in treatment because it looks good on paper. She's playing to the court in advance of her 8/31 hearing. There is no acceptance of responsibility. Her actions that night speak for her. She fled the scene of two accidents BEFORE the third in which someone DIED! She is a cold blooded murderer, before this she was just a privileged spoiled pig of a human. Her green business is only green because green = gold in this age. Don't make excuses for someone like this, there aren't any. You'd be screaming for her blood had it been your family who died by her actions.
Sober

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 25, 2010
 
Carrie T wrote:
Long is in treatment because it looks good on paper. She's playing to the court in advance of her 8/31 hearing. There is no acceptance of responsibility. Her actions that night speak for her. She fled the scene of two accidents BEFORE the third in which someone DIED! She is a cold blooded murderer, before this she was just a privileged spoiled pig of a human. Her green business is only green because green = gold in this age. Don't make excuses for
someone like this, there aren't any. You'd be
screaming for her blood had it been your family
who died by her actions.
Oh you forgot to ask if this happened in my family....I didn't make any excuses. I just stated my hope for her is to find sobriety and live life in life's terms. So Carrie T while you sit and judge me for my hopes I will pray for you that you never ever make a mistake alrighty?
CALLACAB

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 26, 2010
 
Why is she being charged w/2 counts of vehicular homicide? I know Mary Wallace was killed in the accident. Was someone else killed?
Sober

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 26, 2010
 
CALLACAB wrote:
Why is she being charged w/2 counts of vehicular homicide? I know Mary Wallace was killed in the accident. Was someone else killed?
There may be an attempted homicied on the 2nd charge. Each vehicle she hit and each person in each vehicle will start out as an individual charge which will then be plead down to 1 charge depending on her compliance in rehab. If she doesn't take this seriously they will gi e her 10 to 16 years otherwise she'll get 3 to 6.
Recovering

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 11, 2010
 
Those who say that she does not care that she killed another human being is sadly mistaken. She made a tradgic mistake and will have to pay the price for it. But I find it hard to believe that she got in her truck and said "Why don't I go the wrong way on the highway and kill someone." She did not set out to hurt anyone. Alcoholism is a disease and when it takes you it takes you. It takes no prisoners. Those of you who have an addiction to any type substance it messes up your judgement just like it did hers. This is not an excuse for her and she will have to pay for what she did. But to say that she has no heart or does not care about what she did is not fair. May the families affected by this be embraced by Our Father in Heaven.
Archie Bunker

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Recovering wrote:
Those who say that she does not care that she killed another human being is sadly mistaken. She made a tradgic mistake and will have to pay the price for it. But I find it hard to believe that she got in her truck and said "Why don't I go the wrong way on the highway and kill someone." She did not set out to hurt anyone. Alcoholism is a disease and when it takes you it takes you. It takes no prisoners. Those of you who have an addiction to any type substance it messes up your judgement just like it did hers. This is not an excuse for her and she will have to pay for what she did. But to say that she has no heart or does not care about what she did is not fair. May the families affected by this be embraced by Our Father in Heaven.
QUIT MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!!!- She only began to care after she caused the accident, which took the life of a young woman.

Drinking and then getting into the car, inserting the key into the ignition, turning the switch, puting the gear shift lever into drive and then driving was HER CHOICE.

What she did was a choice!!!!! Alcoholism is not a disease. My dad was AN ALCOHOLIC. Not an everyday drinker but when he drank, did he drink. I'm old now, as my dad has been dead 41years.

Nothing but an excuse you are making and until the legal and court systems begin to hold people responsible, charge them with murder and/or attempted murder depending if there was a fatality, stop the plea bargains and SINGING KUMBAYA, people will or should think about THEIR CHOICES.

Catch you driving drunk, confiscate your car, sixty days in jail. I would rather my tax dollars be spent keeping you locked up, than given to THE ILLEGALS.

Penalties and punishment that carry real consequences. That will teach you responsibility for your choices.
Bruce

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 14, 2010
 
I have read these statements & I offer up the following observation -

The torch & pitch fork crowd may seem a bit over zealous but we have all seen it play out over & over in modern history = cash & power trumps the law every time. A judge or high ranking govt. official will always err on the side of pressure from above - it is a professional survival instinct for self preservation.

The live & let live crowd - Countless millions of tax dollars have been spent telling people that if you drive drunk you will pay the consequences (Public Service Announcements). OK - well then... I would then put it to you that this should somehow become a precedent of law. Take every other DUI homicide case back on appeal because of good ol' Betsy & this strategy of "she never meant to go out & kill anyone." I am more than sure there are plenty of people sitting in jail right now that never intended on killing anyone... but they are still in jail.

So - that being said her thinking was chemically altered like say a crack addict & she hits a few people & in her altered state realizes it (most of you now sober drunks & people who do consume alcohol do...) might take a bit but you know when something you have done is wrong...).

She was most likely trying to get home - stash a car & sleep it off.. & maybe even try & claim your car was stolen or something lame like that. Many of your smarter drunks usually abandon their cars in that instance.

& so here they all are - the perpetrator, the inconvenienced accident victims, the injured through no fault of their own & one dead woman.

Watch the system at work - should be interesting. If she gets off with a slap on the wrist then it will be a fore gone conclusion there was pressure and manipulation with the judicial / legal system (great re-election fodder).

Even up high in the towers of society there are cockroaches.
DenverGuy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 18, 2010
 
So whatever happen to her? Did she get sentenced?

“It's pronounced DAG-uth.”

Since: Jun 07

Windsor, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Nov 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Her bail should have been set at attempt-to-dodge-a-bullet.
CU Alum

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Nov 5, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I had classes with Betsy at CU and like other classmates, was shocked to read what happened. I'm not making excuses, but the pictures I've seen of her in the papers since the accident show a woman who is tortured by what she did, and entering rehab was a logical step under those circumstances. While I didn't know her well, I knew her well enough to know she isn't the unrepentant drunk that Sandra Jacobson was. The Betsy I knew was thoughtful and caring, and will have a hard time forgiving herself. Some drunks are lucky enough to hit bottom before they do themselves or others serious injury. Betsy wasn't one of them. I pray for Mary Warren, her family and friends, and for Betsy as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Elizabeth Discussions

Search the Elizabeth Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
An affair 1 hr confused 1
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) 3 hr RinGo_ 4,208
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 6 hr TruthHurts2 605
7 best things to do in Denver this weekend 12 hr Trigger 2
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 12 hr KarlVIIIII 11,338
Needing BBC 23 hr I need BBC 1
Does anyone know about the Iowa tribal properties? Sat Hector Ismael Guzman 1
•••
•••
•••
Elizabeth Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Elizabeth Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Elizabeth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••