Republican Filibuster Ties Up Veteran Jobs Bill Vote In US Senate

Sep 14, 2012 Full story: www.military.com

Sep 13, 2012

www.military.com

UPI-WASH DC - A filibuster to gain support for the release of the doctor who helped locate Osama bin Laden held up a vote on the Veterans Job Corps bill in the U.S. Senate.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said his filibuster Wednesday was to draw attention to his call for Pakistani leaders to release Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA find bin Laden, Politico reported Thursday.

Paul had said he would stall Senate action until the doctor is released from jail in Pakistan, something the government has said it would not do. Paul also called on the Obama administration to block aid to Pakistan until Afridi is released.

Read more

“One Nation, under God”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#1 Sep 14, 2012
Note that despite the following 'exchange' of a sort created by the article ...
"I do this because I think it's important for our allies to act like allies," Paul said.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., disagreed, saying a veterans jobs bill wasn't the proper vehicle for a political play.

"I think my friend from Kentucky should have run for secretary of state rather than the Senate," Reid said.

The article LEAVES OUT that most of the funding is for jobs that no longer exist due to budget cuts elsewhere throughout our governments structures.

Here is the bulk of what it is to fund:
Veterans Jobs Corps Act is designed to create new job-training programs as national park conservationist's, historic preservation projects, police and firefighting.

Aren't these some of the very areas first attacked with budget axes?

Here is the real LIE to ALL concerned, except politicians and schools getting tuition's for training people for NON-EXISTENT JOBS!

Get this 'whopper' of a fantasy ...
The cost of the 5-yr bill is $1 BILLION, chicken-feed when you run more than FOUR TIMES that per DAY in additional National Debt,... BUT (here is where Hollywood comes in)... it generates new revenue to PAY FOR ITSELF over 10 years!(theoretically of course)

Now, think back to the heat of the summer, June 1st...
Obama, speaking to about 1,700 people at Honeywell International headquarters in the Minneapolis suburb of Golden Valley, pitched his plan to hire military veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I believe that no one who fights for this country should ever have to fight for a job when they come home," Obama said.

Okay, sounded good then, but did those words actually MEAN anything in reality to any of the very people he was targeting to "help"? How many of those "returning Vets" has Honeywell hired? Hopefully enough to at least offset the extraordinary expenses incurred for the President to speak anywhere. Surely at least a 100 or so I would hope just to 'pilot' a program?

Perhaps a future response will show us?

“One Nation, under God”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#2 Sep 14, 2012
Here is something that will hopefully benefit some of you ...

Grants totaling $29 million will help U.S. military veterans access local transit systems for jobs, school and other destinations, federal officials said.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/07/02/Gra...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabeth City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barber shops Feb '15 New timer 1
Camden causeway / Elizabeth City bridge. Jan '15 Taxpayer 2
the music thread (Mar '12) Jan '15 Musikologist 18
Eagle Creek Homes (Jun '07) Nov '14 ddr999 42
Former police chief William Anderson Nov '14 Hal 1
Womble for DA Oct '14 Crystal Clear 1
DUI Dismissal for Magistrate's Son? (Feb '14) Oct '14 Madmadmad 3
Elizabeth City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web