Students Raise Money for Teacher, Sol...

Students Raise Money for Teacher, Soldier Whose Dream Home Was ...

There are 23 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Mar 20, 2008, titled Students Raise Money for Teacher, Soldier Whose Dream Home Was .... In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

The teacher and soldier who lost their 220-year-old dream home in Saturday's severe weather are getting the help of some Belaney Elementary students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What

Columbia, SC

#1 Mar 20, 2008
What about all the other people whose homes were also destoryed??????
interested

Chapin, SC

#2 Mar 20, 2008
Ever heard of insurance
Fair to everyone

Orangeburg, SC

#3 Mar 20, 2008
I have to agree with the comment above. Insurance will cover the damage. There are several people who are in worse shape than the Burnham's. You don't see a "rebuild fund for (fill in the blank)" for them.

“Custom Handcarved Decoys”

Since: Mar 08

Kingstree, SC

#4 Mar 20, 2008
Good ideal and effort by the kids, just misguided.. Funds raised should be for the entire community and not just an individual family....
Just My Opinion

AOL

#5 Mar 20, 2008
It should have been spelled: "Blaney" not "Belaney".
I am also wondering if and why there was no mention of homeowners insurance. Strange.
RRE

Warrenville, SC

#6 Mar 20, 2008
That's "Blaney" Elementary School; not Belaney.

Insurance, yes they should be covered. However, if a group of children want to try and help someone...what's the problem? Charity should be learned at an early age. I'd rather they were trying to do something to help someone than out joining gangs.
Whatever

Columbia, SC

#7 Mar 20, 2008
They are better off than most of the others whose homes were damaged. Insurance will pay for that. Whatever!!
storm clouds

Orangeburg, SC

#8 Mar 20, 2008
Red Cross and Salvation Army Disaster Relief efforts would be great causes to donate to.
Just My Opinion

AOL

#9 Mar 20, 2008
Maybe they were underinsured. Who knows? The kids like the teacher and want to help her out. Good for the them Plenty of people raise funds to help other folks who have tragedies or illnesses. Not everything can be fair and even. Why do people have to critizise the efforts of a bunch of kids? Let them help that teacher out if they want to. Someone always has to begrudge anything good that might happen to other people.
VOICE

Columbia, SC

#10 Mar 20, 2008
For those who think that the funds should go to the community. Start your own fund! It's easy to critisize. What have you done to help the community? No one is making you give money. Leave them alone. They are just trying to help. They were obviously well liked people. Maybe they treated people kindly. What goes around comes around. That goes for the good too not just the bad.
Elm City

Leesville, SC

#11 Mar 20, 2008
I just want to know he got 30 days from a warzone. There are men who have not seen there newborn children and this guy comes home because of a tornado. HMMMMMMM
Name goes here

Hartsville, SC

#12 Mar 20, 2008
I think it's great for the community to be involved like they are. The children at Blaney are doing this for one of their teachers. I think it's great that they have decided to persue this on their own. If the others that were hurt doing the tornados, I'm sure someone is helping them out, as well. Good luck to all the families. God Bless to all-
twisted sister

United States

#13 Mar 20, 2008
Elm City wrote:
I just want to know he got 30 days from a warzone. There are men who have not seen there newborn children and this guy comes home because of a tornado. HMMMMMMM
I was wondering the same thing.
twisted sister

United States

#14 Mar 20, 2008
Fair to everyone wrote:
I have to agree with the comment above. Insurance will cover the damage. There are several people who are in worse shape than the Burnham's. You don't see a "rebuild fund for (fill in the blank)" for them.
I agree, too
no name

Columbia, SC

#15 Mar 20, 2008
I agree also , these people look like thier smart enough to have
homeowner ins .Elgin got hit pretty
hard. Cuz that looks like a
fancy home . No ins ? sounds fishy
Did anyone else get this type of
atten. My heart goes out to all
Chicken

Summerville, SC

#16 Mar 20, 2008
I want to know was the home insured? Why is this question not being asked? I'm not buying the whole story. If I had a child in that school I would be mad as heck at that teacher for taking advantage of young impressionable minds.
Reality Check

White House, TN

#17 Mar 21, 2008
First of all, Belaney??? Then 'Branham' and 'Burnham'? Sloppy journalism.
Some of you sound like little children talking about 'fairness'. Excuse me...Mr. Burnham did not come home to a thirty day vacation at Hilton Head with his family. Yes, he's with his family, which is an awesome 'perk' to an otherwise horrible situation. Have you ever lost everything to a disaster? He talks about belongings in the pool, the pond... I'm quite certain there are sentimental items that will never be recovered. But, as he said, they have their lives.
I'm personally very grateful for Mr. Burnham's and all the sacrifices of our military personnel, and saddened at the losses he and many other families are facing as a result of the storms. If you consider the military's granting of thirty days emergency leave special treatment, remain blissful in your ignorance.
GHS

Lexington, SC

#18 Mar 21, 2008
uhh what happened to helping the women in newberry when she was thrown from there trailor house
Just My Opinion

Raleigh, NC

#19 Mar 21, 2008
A lot of sour grapes on this forum.
What

Columbia, SC

#20 Mar 21, 2008
Just My Opinion wrote:
A lot of sour grapes on this forum.
No not really we are just trying to say that there are more people that need help rather than just this one teacher and her faimly!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elgin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rep. James Smith becomes first Democrat to ente... Oct 9 Paul russo 1
Review: Bulldog Towing (Sep '12) Mar '17 Disappointed Car ... 7
Amy Marie Crocker (Mar '17) Mar '17 Jazzy jazz 1
News Town might ease tobacco ban (Jan '09) Jan '17 TruthBeTold 83
Is there a Step in the House? (Nov '16) Nov '16 the Dyslexic 2
DEA at econolodge (Oct '16) Oct '16 Unknown 1
troy howell (Jun '11) Jul '16 jtsteele 4

Elgin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance