Elgin teachers return to negotiating table

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Meeting for the first time since voting down a tentative agreement, teachers in Elgin-based Unit School District 46 gathered Wednesday afternoon to discuss their options.
Comments
21 - 26 of 26 Comments Last updated May 28, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hrmmm

Avon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2007

If you is poor, stop breeding!
U-46 Student

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

All of you are a bunch of babies.
john

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

I think there was a discussion on this at http://elginite.org/blog

U-46 is a good school district but they got ripped off by the superintendent.
dave

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

For everybody complaining about unions. Lets read what everybody has been saying. "I work all year and only get 3 weeks off, my salary increases have only been 2%, I pay more than $700 a month for family insurance, I can get fired at anytime, etc..." Then you complain that wages have actually gone down....well maybe it's time to join or form a UNION! With the downfall of unions, so has the gap between what management gets paid and what the regular workers get paid.

I pay taxes and work in the private sector, but im not complaining what teachers are making because I went to college and chose a different path. Why didnt I choose teaching, because one the pay sucks, and two, so I wouldnt have to deal with idiots in the community that feel like since their job sucks, so should everybody elses. They educate your children, you should respect them.

I hope they get a good contract. And your anger should be generated to the school board, for the salary of Connie o neal and not the teachers that are trying to get a fair compensation.
John

Barrington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

dave wrote:
For everybody complaining about unions. Lets read what everybody has been saying. "I work all year and only get 3 weeks off, my salary increases have only been 2%, I pay more than $700 a month for family insurance, I can get fired at anytime, etc..." Then you complain that wages have actually gone down....well maybe it's time to join or form a UNION! With the downfall of unions, so has the gap between what management gets paid and what the regular workers get paid.
I pay taxes and work in the private sector, but im not complaining what teachers are making because I went to college and chose a different path. Why didnt I choose teaching, because one the pay sucks, and two, so I wouldnt have to deal with idiots in the community that feel like since their job sucks, so should everybody elses. They educate your children, you should respect them.
I hope they get a good contract. And your anger should be generated to the school board, for the salary of Connie o neal and not the teachers that are trying to get a fair compensation.
I have lived in the community for more than 20 years, and I have to agree with Dave. What our school board did by giving that contract to the superintendant is ridiculous. We should pay our teachers more and not one person.
jgraff

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

U-46 parent wrote:
<quoted text>
First, about 80% of my $7,000 real estate taxes goes to U46, SO THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME CLUELESS. Property taxes are going up 7% annualy and my income goes up 3% annually - and I don't have a clue? Yes, corporate america gives workers one increase a year, not 2 like teachers get (cola and step increases). And, I'll bet most parents don't know what step increases are all about!
Second, when has the U46 Board or Mr. Prince (the CFO) published AN UNDERSTANDABLE, INFORMATIVE AND COMPREHENSIVE summary of teacher pay and benefits and perks which presents the entire picture of facts and presented them to the taxpayer to promote understanding? TRY NEVER! And why not? Maybe for the same reason they did not tell us about what Connie Neale and Mr. Edwards (remember him!) got and then she leaves town. You must be another militant teacher who is chomping at the bit to go on strike for the benefit of the childen! If corporate america employees went on strike, the CEO would give you directions to the local unemployment office, irregardless of your success or tenure at the company. Let's outsource education!!
There is no such word as "irregardless".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elgin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr mahz 49,400
Elgin teen fatally hit by Metra train (Oct '07) Mon MariaTheLoyalist 77
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Mon newpoly 1,900
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Aug 24 Mr Ridgway 3,922
15-year-olds charged in Elgin slaying (Jun '12) Aug 23 KristianAk47 10
Should there be a Tax Write Off For New Mailbox... Aug 22 mailbox remedies 0
X Factor is Kane County's Best Night Club Aug 22 Bob E 4
•••
•••
Elgin Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Elgin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000