Elgin teen fatally hit by Metra train

Full story: Chicago Tribune

An Elgin teen was struck and killed by a Metra train late Wednesday. The unidentified 15-year-old boy was struck by a Chicago-bound Milwaukee District West line train about 10:20 p.m., just south of the Kimball ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 77 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 25
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 11, 2007
One of these days, people will realize that trains KILL. Why would you walk across, or drive across train tracks with the gates down, and lights flashing. People are in such a hurry these days that they would risk there life, instead of waiting a few minutes for a train to pass. I don't feel sorry for people who get hit and killed by trains, I feel sorry for the conductor who hits them, knowing he or she cannot stop in time. I'm sure they see it every night for the rest of there lives and it kills a little of them everyday. Soon, the parents will file a lawsuit, to shift the blame to the railroad. Are people getting dumber or what?
Tracy

United States

#2 Oct 11, 2007
When will people learn??? I'm sure his parents will sue b/c of their son's lack of common sense
Joe

Warrenville, IL

#3 Oct 11, 2007
One word: suicide
Con Ducter

Palos Hills, IL

#4 Oct 11, 2007
TOM SLICK wrote:
One of these days, people will realize that trains KILL. Why would you walk across, or drive across train tracks with the gates down, and lights flashing. People are in such a hurry these days that they would risk there life, instead of waiting a few minutes for a train to pass. I don't feel sorry for people who get hit and killed by trains, I feel sorry for the conductor who hits them, knowing he or she cannot stop in time. I'm sure they see it every night for the rest of there lives and it kills a little of them everyday. Soon, the parents will file a lawsuit, to shift the blame to the railroad. Are people getting dumber or what?
That's right Slick. Talk about your most preventable accidents. And as you point out its not really an accident in the true sense. If you're not blind, deaf and/or mute - 9 times out of 10 there's no reason for it.
Steve

United States

#5 Oct 11, 2007
I have to wonder what a 15 year old was doing there at that time of day. He should have been in school. Also, the Metra train is not moving all that fast south of Kimball street as it is approaching the Elgin station. It's hard to believe he did not see the train.

“Bene Gesserit”

Since: Oct 07

Lincoln Park

#7 Oct 11, 2007
Joe wrote:
One word: suicide
or drugs

or emo
Christina

Medinah, IL

#8 Oct 11, 2007
I'm with Joe! Suicide. And a selfish one at that. Start the car in the garage, don't leave a mess that will change innocent onlookers' lives forever.
Dave

Chicago, IL

#10 Oct 11, 2007
'
By chance, was there an iPod involved here?'

Very good question. Perhaps we should designate Ipod-free zones in the spirit of public safety?
Brishen

Elgin, IL

#11 Oct 11, 2007
I actually knew this person.

Considering the persons history, suicide is a possibility
Joe R

Des Plaines, IL

#12 Oct 11, 2007
Steve wrote:
I have to wonder what a 15 year old was doing there at that time of day. He should have been in school. Also, the Metra train is not moving all that fast south of Kimball street as it is approaching the Elgin station. It's hard to believe he did not see the train.
Your right what was he doing there that time of day, but he should have been in bed. It was 10:20 PM.
Anonymous

Elgin, IL

#13 Oct 11, 2007
I actually knew this person.
Considering their history, suicide is a possibility
Hurdlethis

Chicago, IL

#14 Oct 11, 2007
another person being hit by a train ... it seems like every day for the past few weeks there has been a train-related accident that involves someone walking or driving in front of one or falling on the tracks, or a CTA worker gets clipped by one while "working" on the tracks. What is going on here people? get on the train and ride it, not walk or drive in front of. please be aware of your surroundings.
smith

AOL

#15 Oct 11, 2007
I don't think you should be reacting to the accident but thinking about how the family of this 15 year old is doing. They have got to be devistated no matter what the reason was that he was hit.
Julie

Roswell, GA

#17 Oct 11, 2007
I am very sorry to read another story where people get killed by passing trains...My prayers go out to the family... but why does this keep on happening?! how many people had been killed by a train this year? about 10 or so?(Chicago Area)... are we not carefull or just careless about what's going on around us? this is very sad
Julie

Roswell, GA

#18 Oct 11, 2007
TOM SLICK wrote:
That is true! the conductor will be going through shit every single day and night because people are ignorant crossing in front of the train.
rob

Crystal Lake, IL

#19 Oct 11, 2007
TOM SLICK wrote:
Um no this kid was SEVERlY depressed he hated everyone i went to school with him. he wanted to die and yes i feel bad for the conductor but he knew what he was doing
brett

Elgin, IL

#20 Oct 11, 2007
with the suicide thought that is
rob

Crystal Lake, IL

#21 Oct 11, 2007
for one im not from round lake, i go or went to school with him for two you guys who think he did this without knowing it are wrong he knew and he was depressed because people pick on him, the family is hurting right now and alot of people at school are hurt. i met him once but i have friends who were friends of his and this is probably suicide
Kaitlin

AOL

#22 Oct 11, 2007
Look, I grew up with this kid, and it was not suicide. I don't know the full story, but he wasn't emo or on drugs or anything of that sort. I agree that kids make stupid decisions at the tracks, as well as adults, but I do not believe this is one of those circumstances. Though, once again, I do not know the full story.
Friend

AOL

#23 Oct 11, 2007
His family is in my prayers. I grew up with this kid, and he was extremely sweet if you gave him the chance.
No matter the reason for this accident, I don't think anyone should be calling this kid selfish or anything else for that matter. None of us know exactly what happened and we should not be jumping to conclusions. The family and friends of this young man have gone through enough, besides listening to what everyone else has to say. Maybe instead of trying to figure out why this kid did this, we should be using our energy to figure out how to prevent others from getting in this situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elgin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min Deserve 49,537
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 5 hr newpoly 1,910
hey butt slammer Fri assslammer 2
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Aug 24 Mr Ridgway 3,922
15-year-olds charged in Elgin slaying (Jun '12) Aug 23 KristianAk47 10
Should there be a Tax Write Off For New Mailbox... Aug 22 mailbox remedies 0
X Factor is Kane County's Best Night Club Aug 22 Bob E 4
•••
•••
•••

Elgin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Elgin People Search