How long does it take to become local?

Dec 23, 2012 Full story: Honolulu 232

It's always fun when national entertainment media tells stories about Hawaii. This October, Comedy Central broadcast an episode of South Park entitled "Going Native." In it, one of the young characters learns that, although his family now lives in Colorado, he was born in Hawaii.

Full Story
Jack

Phoenix, AZ

#109 Feb 8, 2013
Haole X wrote:
<quoted text>
bend over
You like it in the arse huh homo? lmfao
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#110 Feb 8, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
If you're white, you will never be a "local". If you are fresh off the boat from China of Thailand, they will assume you are "local"
Yep, it's racist as hell. Look at the bumper stickers "keep hawaii hawaiian" what a bunch of Pacific KKK nonsense. Imagine if someone had a bumper sticker that said "Keep New Jersey White"
Ummm...What about if the bumper sticker said, "Keep New Jersey Powhatan"--would that be racist?
No, White Man. It would not.
What you fail to recognize is that anywhere in the USA, the White Man is not indigenous.
So put your KKK reference (which is a WHITE POWER movement, BTW) in your hat, and smoke it.
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#111 Feb 8, 2013
Haole X wrote:
<quoted text>
bend over
Your ISP is in LAX, butt your heart's desire is clearly in SFO.
Curious forum lurker

Wyandotte, MI

#112 Feb 8, 2013
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm...What about if the bumper sticker said, "Keep New Jersey Powhatan"--would that be racist?
No, White Man. It would not.
What you fail to recognize is that anywhere in the USA, the White Man is not indigenous.
So put your KKK reference (which is a WHITE POWER movement, BTW) in your hat, and smoke it.
Where is any race really indigenous? Not even Hawaiians in Hawaii. Besides, not every brown skinned person in the Pacific is an "islander". And not every dark person in Hawaii is "native" or "Hawaiian", but many people think so out of island ignorance,
gurus baby daddy

Honolulu, HI

#113 Feb 8, 2013
Unlike most places if you are a certain color, from a distance, you can never be considered local
local

Canyon Country, CA

#114 Feb 8, 2013
gurus baby daddy wrote:
Unlike most places if you are a certain color, from a distance, you can never be considered local
http://jokes.justsickshit.com/wp-content/uplo...
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#115 Feb 9, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is any race really indigenous? Not even Hawaiians in Hawaii. Besides, not every brown skinned person in the Pacific is an "islander". And not every dark person in Hawaii is "native" or "Hawaiian", but many people think so out of island ignorance,
The term "indigenous" refers to species that reached a point of habitation through a natural course of events.
Haoles, on the other hand, began "exploring" in order to find riches belonging to others, and make conquests of lands already inhabited by others, then return "home" in glory.
Haoles are indigenous to Europe, Chinks are indigenous to East Asia, Towel Heads are indigenous to the Middle East, and Alexander the Great's troops oofed chicks from all those places.
What's your point?
Curious forum lurker

Wyandotte, MI

#116 Feb 10, 2013
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>The term "indigenous" refers to species that reached a point of habitation through a natural course of events.
Haoles, on the other hand, began "exploring" in order to find riches belonging to others, and make conquests of lands already inhabited by others, then return "home" in glory.
Haoles are indigenous to Europe, Chinks are indigenous to East Asia, Towel Heads are indigenous to the Middle East, and Alexander the Great's troops oofed chicks from all those places.
What's your point?
My point is that just as "haloes" took a boat to Hawaii, so did "islanders".

My point is that there is a lot of racism to go around and it's disgusting. A "native" born in Honolulu has no more or no less of a claim to Honolulu than a white person born in Honolulu.

All this crap about racial claim to a land in the United States is a bunch of garbage, if you have private property, then you have a claim to it, if you are on government property (public property) then anyone who can legally be in the United States has "claim" to operate on that land within the confines of federal or state law.

All this bullcrap about who's land it is goes out the window, look at South Africa, there are a bunch of whites, blacks, and colored. They all were "born" there. Are people really going to bitch about what happened over 200 years ago? People need to move forward, not backwards.

BTW,haole is a racist term, I doubt that if the "natives" had a similar term for black people, it isn't used much out of fear of angering the Al Sharpton crowd.
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#117 Feb 10, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that just as "haloes" took a boat to Hawaii, so did "islanders".
My point is that there is a lot of racism to go around and it's disgusting. A "native" born in Honolulu has no more or no less of a claim to Honolulu than a white person born in Honolulu.
All this crap about racial claim to a land in the United States is a bunch of garbage, if you have private property, then you have a claim to it, if you are on government property (public property) then anyone who can legally be in the United States has "claim" to operate on that land within the confines of federal or state law.
All this bullcrap about who's land it is goes out the window, look at South Africa, there are a bunch of whites, blacks, and colored. They all were "born" there. Are people really going to bitch about what happened over 200 years ago? People need to move forward, not backwards.
BTW,haole is a racist term, I doubt that if the "natives" had a similar term for black people, it isn't used much out of fear of angering the Al Sharpton crowd.
Who says "haole" is racist? You? "Haole" is a Hawaiian word used in HAWAII. Are you offended if Spain uses the word "Negro" for the color black?
Just because the US takes a piece of land does not also means it takes the culture of those who live there and homogenizes it as "American."
Yes indeed, LOOK AT SOUTH AFRICA. Does the word "apartheid" mean anything to you? Do you know what "poesgesig" means?
I wonder why you think they all sing Kumbaya together down there. You have the sensibilities of a naive college freshman at a second rate community college somewhere in the Midwest.
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#118 Feb 10, 2013
BTW, blacks in Hawaii are referred to as "Pololo," after the polopolo berry which is dark purple when ripe.
However, blacks never took advantage of the Hawaiian people or plantation workers, so popolo is the same in terms of derogatory tone as japanee, pake, pochogee, et al.
You might be a curious lurker, but you think you know more than you do.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#119 Feb 10, 2013
District 1 wrote:
BTW, blacks in Hawaii are referred to as "Pololo," after the polopolo berry which is dark purple when ripe.
However, blacks never took advantage of the Hawaiian people or plantation workers, so popolo is the same in terms of derogatory tone as japanee, pake, pochogee, et al.
You might be a curious lurker, but you think you know more than you do.
LOL at anyone that thinks we should feels sorry for people that sell their land and then cry about having it "stolen" a couple of years later, after they've blown the profits in Vegas.
God

Honolulu, HI

#120 Feb 10, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>LOL at anyone that thinks we should feels sorry for people that sell their land and then cry about having it "stolen" a couple of years later, after they've blown the profits in Vegas.
Answer the topic question doofus.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#121 Feb 10, 2013
God wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer the topic question doofus.
If you're white, the answer is NEVER, so don't try to be. "Local" is a racist term meanining "anyone not white." It's like saying someone is "black" but meaning he's a N****R.
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#122 Feb 10, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> If you're white, the answer is NEVER, so don't try to be. "Local" is a racist term meanining "anyone not white." It's like saying someone is "black" but meaning he's a N****R.
I disagree that haoles cannot become accepted as "local."
We all know haoles who, whether born and raised, or transplanted, we consider friends.
In the same way, we all know pochos, pakes, yobos, soles, micros, japanees, who whether born and raised, or transplanted, we consider friends.
I go back to my original assertion that one can become accepted almost immediately by being respectful and sincere.
If "haoles" perceive intransigent racism, it's because they are 1) Not used to the shoe being on the other foot, and 2) Probably acting like clueless jerks.
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#123 Feb 10, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>LOL at anyone that thinks we should feels sorry for people that sell their land and then cry about having it "stolen" a couple of years later, after they've blown the profits in Vegas.
This is somewhat of an apt, though overly simple, assessment of certain individuals. However, the plantation races, the Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, and Koreans who settled in Hawaii have, as a general observation, been quite considerate of Kanaka Maoli, and have melded together to create the current generation of multiracial "local" citizenry. "Haole blood" is as much a part of that mix as well.
Therefore, it is not a racism issue in the same way as it is on the mainland with Black vs White vs Latino vs Jew vs Asian vs Arab.
In Hawaii, it is more an issue of are you accepting and sincere, or ignorant and arrogant. Mainlanders who come here and think Hawaii is racist seem to be ignorant about their own paradigms, and arrogant to think they will be accepted no matter how they treat others.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#124 Feb 10, 2013
Don't agree. If you call me "hoale, and I take it as a racist term, it's racist. The fact that you don't care if I think it or not makes it even more racist. Personally, I understand the terminology and it doesn't bother me. But I can understand why someone else would hear it as a racist term. Would you call a black person a N*****r and then say, "Oh, it's just a term for an African, he understands what I mean. It just means he is black, or from Africa." Of course you wouldn't do it, but you do it to white people every day. You just count on us being thick-skinned and non-violent.
Curious forum lurker

United States

#125 Feb 10, 2013
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Who says "haole" is racist? You? "Haole" is a Hawaiian word used in HAWAII. Are you offended if Spain uses the word "Negro" for the color black?
Just because the US takes a piece of land does not also means it takes the culture of those who live there and homogenizes it as "American."
Yes indeed, LOOK AT SOUTH AFRICA. Does the word "apartheid" mean anything to you? Do you know what "poesgesig" means?
I wonder why you think they all sing Kumbaya together down there. You have the sensibilities of a naive college freshman at a second rate community college somewhere in the Midwest.
You are clearly a racist. You engage in name calling because you have no merit. It's about context, "haole" in the wrong context is racist, just as speaking Spanish ( I do speak spanish) and saying "negro" when you speak English because you are trying to be cute and not say the N word is racist. So yes that is racist and ignorant.
And most people in South Africa just want to get on with their lives. Apartheid started in the 1800's under Paul Krueger to not force white civilization on people who were not interested in it. The forced movement of blacks and colored's took place in the 1950's under Daniel Malan, it was never popular with whites as people though it was, they were beaten and killed for trying to stop it as well. It's a complex issue that can't be summed up with some lame 1980's new wave song about it.
Nice try about the Midwest ( BTW I'm from New England) not everyone out here is stupid as you arrogantly assume, but I'm guessing you have been around the world from Kauai to Maui.
Curious forum lurker

United States

#126 Feb 10, 2013
District 1 wrote:
BTW, blacks in Hawaii are referred to as "Pololo," after the polopolo berry which is dark purple when ripe.
However, blacks never took advantage of the Hawaiian people or plantation workers, so popolo is the same in terms of derogatory tone as japanee, pake, pochogee, et al.
You might be a curious lurker, but you think you know more than you do.
See, that's collectivist and more racist garbage. You act like the "blacks" had a conference and decided to not mess with "Hawaiian's" while "whites" got together and decided to enslave "Hawaiian's".

Try to look at people as individuals... Being bigoted and viewing people as a race is a dated and immoral concept.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#127 Feb 10, 2013
If a white person says he doesn't like to be called "haole" because it's racist, do you stop doing it? Hell no, you don't. You'll make up excuses as to why it's ok to continue to do so. That proves you're a racist to begin with.
District 1

Kapolei, HI

#128 Feb 10, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
See, that's collectivist and more racist garbage. You act like the "blacks" had a conference and decided to not mess with "Hawaiian's" while "whites" got together and decided to enslave "Hawaiian's".
Try to look at people as individuals... Being bigoted and viewing people as a race is a dated and immoral concept.
Aren't YOU on this thread because YOU think Hawaii is--ahem--collectively a racist place?
BTW, yes. Whites DID get together and decided, not to enslave, but to overthrow the legitimate Hawaiian monarch at the time, Liliuokalani.
If you don't know--which you don't--maybe you should stop talking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eleele Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
About Town | 8-29-14 Aug '14 Dody Clifford 1
Fun in Waimea Jul '14 James 2
pau pizza (Jun '14) Jun '14 in love 1
NASA Is About to Test a Mega-Parachute at the E... (Jun '14) Jun '14 I Will Blame Obama 1
Kauai man gets 30 days in jail for cruelty to a... (Feb '10) May '14 common sense 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) May '14 KauaiBatman 12
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) May '14 Julia Anderson 3
Eleele Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Eleele People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Eleele News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Eleele

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:43 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:43PM
49ers' Crabtree doesn't know what future holds - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 3:54 PM
Derek Carr returns to practice with Raiders - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 9:05 PM
49ers Potential Cap Casualties for 2015
NBC Sports 4:31 AM
Michael Crabtree can't wait to see what happens this offseason
NBC Sports 7:10 AM
John Harbaugh: Family not pushing brother Jim to Michigan