Group homes targeted

Group homes targeted

There are 13 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 22, 2008, titled Group homes targeted. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Maryland health officials are investigating the recent death of a mentally ill man who was residing in an unlicensed assisted living facility in Northeast Baltimore, one of "dozens" suspected of operating ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Theresa

Baltimore, MD

#1 May 22, 2008
This is a serious problem in Maryland, these unregulated and unlicensed group homes.

And this is something all those 'activists' who want places like Rosewood closed down should take note of. Rosewood is not perfect, not by a long shot, but the alternative for many of those residents is going to be going into group homes, and it is highly likely that there will be even less oversight and less trained staff for many of them. And there's far less accountability than there is at a central facility. This is something I'm really worried about, and it has to be a big part of the discussion as things move forward.
JCA

Jessup, MD

#2 May 22, 2008
There is a very limitied amount of housing for someone on SSI making less than $650 each month. We need to help people more with mental illness and developmental disabilities make it in the community.
Ted Kraycik

Chicago, IL

#3 May 22, 2008
Unlicensed and licensed group homes have been a problem in Northeast Baltimore for many years now. The operators of these homes could care less about the residents or the neighbors around them. The Maryland Department of Housing and the good Ole ACLU make it impossible for neighbors to know if the home is being used to house drug addicts, non violent offenders, the menatlly ill, or sex offenders. Ask any police officer or community leader in this area and they will tell you that the rise in burglaries, car break-ins and larcenies is largely due to residents of both licensed and unlicensed group homes.

It's a game to the State, and a scam for the owners of these houses. Buy a house and have the state pay your mortgage. What's the catch? All you have to do is house some undesirable afflicted people, and try to stop them from hurting themselves or others. Oh and by the way... Don't tell the neighbors.

Nice job, Now throw the owners of this home in Jail, because they sure won't pay up on any lawsuit.
Jeff

Stevenson, CT

#4 May 22, 2008
Wow.

State investigators who visited the house in March said conditions presented "a threat to the health, safety and welfare of the residents."

Yet they didn't close the place down. Why? Isn't that their job?

These illegal homes are clearly a problem, but if officials sit on their-
to be safe, I'll say- hands when they inspect such a property, despite
intolerable conditions, exactly what good would licensing do?

This is a fixable problem that has been festering for years. If only
indifference worked.
Jeff

Stevenson, CT

#6 May 22, 2008
American wrote:
More negroes with their hand in the public till...
not that it matters to a moron like you, but there are more Caucasians on assistance then ANY OTHER RACE!

By the way... nice sheet
psmith

Baltimore, MD

#7 May 22, 2008
I find the whole matter distasteful. If the gentlemen had medical problems, he could have just as easily died in the hospital as he did at the home. Nobody wants to take the responsibility of caring for these people. I think Ms. Handy should be applauded for her actions, not condemmed as a bad person. Where were all the "loud mouths" when this man was seeking help. What did the State or City do to help him?
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#8 May 22, 2008
So where are these residents supposed to live...obviously they dont have 4 to 6 thousand dollars a month to give a [licensed]facility...so the hell with them.... they dont need to be housed.... let them live on the street with the rest of the undesireables....why doesn't the state go to some of the licensed facilies and see how they rip off the families of their residents while penny pinching with the ridiculuos amount of money they charge them.same old racist buroucuracy bullsh..
Rosie

Washington, DC

#9 May 22, 2008
It's so wrong for Governor O'Malley to close down Rosewood. It's not perfect, but it works for those who live there. How can he say it's better off for the severely disabled to live in these horrible group homes? Why is it so easy for him to wash his hands of the most vulnerable in our community?
BennyFactor

Baltimore, MD

#10 May 22, 2008
It seems that group homes in general, whether serving adults or foster children, are run by people interested in getting cash for providing services, but not interested in paying cash to hire qualified help. Hopefully, the era of the group home as "cash cow" are waning. Seeing the picture, I wonder if this lady is crying for the dead resident - or crying because she got caught collecting payment for services not properly rendered. Thankfully, the new Secrretary of DHR is willing to unearth the skeletons of a system that has been plagued by blind greed and a pervasive culture of enablement, that operates under the banner, "hey, it's all good!". NO IT'S NOT!!
Patti

Metairie, LA

#11 May 22, 2008
Anyone who owns operates an assisted living facility in the State if Maryland should know that there are state requirements and licensures needed including state inspections to operate. Background inspections needed for all who are employed by such entities!!
Ann

Baltimore, MD

#12 May 22, 2008
Before the state closes places like Rosewood, it needs to get its own ducks in a row. It needs a better system -- this foster home/group home approach is just one way for the state to avoid accountability.
Alyce

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jun 1, 2009
Theresa wrote:
This is a serious problem in Maryland, these unregulated and unlicensed group homes.
And this is something all those 'activists' who want places like Rosewood closed down should take note of. Rosewood is not perfect, not by a long shot, but the alternative for many of those residents is going to be going into group homes, and it is highly likely that there will be even less oversight and less trained staff for many of them. And there's far less accountability than there is at a central facility. This is something I'm really worried about, and it has to be a big part of the discussion as things move forward.
Licensed and regulated group homes, like the ones that will be available to individuals leaving Rosewood, are not what is not what I believe is at issue. I have heard neighbors complain about the lack of oversight by the State, but that the bigger issue appears to be so called providers operatating around the regulations. There is no State sanctioned funding stream for unlicensed facilities. These provider are a nuisance all around-most of them make residents dependent by charging them the majority of their SSI/SSDI in order to stay-they may get a small allowance of under $50. and in some cases even take their food stamps.
I would like to see the community support individuals with disabilities who are in settings with bona fide providers-good providers want to engage neighbors and assist the residents in developing networks with their neighbors. As for Rosewood-I think there is a less than rosey side to the institutional setting.
james

Sykesville, MD

#14 Jun 15, 2009
group homes and the people who run them are leaches. they accept most anybody into the group home regardless if they can adequately provide care for them. they would rather have a full group home and collect the max money than actually care for the individuals. they then call the police and demand that troubled clients be removed from the home because they are to lazy to provide the needed care. a large number of the clients in the group homes are not suited based on their issues/conditions to be in the general population and are a danger to neighbors of the home. many of these homes are in apartment building which also contain small children. the people in the group homes have numerous problems which include inappropriate sexual behavior which poses a ongoing risk to the children in the apartment complex.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eldersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Transformer fell down Jun 3 starfella2 1
Looking for family in sykesville Emma L. Fields (Nov '14) Nov '14 Lookingforsister 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Tim the Bagger 7
James garland Janette golden (Jul '14) Jul '14 Golden girl 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Jon SpellMAN 16
Demand for music store in Eldersburg? (Apr '14) Apr '14 Tyler 1
Is a 2003-2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport a good f... (Nov '13) Feb '14 yrageulynn 4
More from around the web

Eldersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Eldersburg Mortgages