Elberta Sausage Festival

Elberta Sausage Festival

There are 38 comments on the Pnj.com story from Oct 30, 2007, titled Elberta Sausage Festival. In it, Pnj.com reports that:

Elberta, Ala.'s famous sausage festival features continuous entertainment and more than 200 arts and crafts booths. via Pnj.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pnj.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
it dosont matter

Foley, AL

#21 Oct 22, 2008
Imangttia wrote:
The Elberta sausage festival is only a few days away. If you want a sausage, you better get in line now.
The reason it takes so loing is because the sausage is great. The reason you can walk up and get it in gulf shores is because they have no heritage and most of all their sausage SUCKS!!! so if u dont like it dont come there are thousands that come back every year to have a good time and we dont need your poor spirit to get us down
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#22 Oct 22, 2008
it dosont matter wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason it takes so loing is because the sausage is great. The reason you can walk up and get it in gulf shores is because they have no heritage and most of all their sausage SUCKS!!! so if u dont like it dont come there are thousands that come back every year to have a good time and we dont need your poor spirit to get us down
They might not have "no heritage"--whatever that means but, they sure know how to serve people before they starve to death or die of old age waiting in line for just one sausage. My advice to anyone who thinks of going to the Elberta Sausage Festival is to either eat something before you go or bring a brown bag with you so that you can sustain yourself for an hour while waiting in line for a sausage that is made in Robertsdale and which you can buy there everyday of the year and grill in your own kitchen in 10 minutes. Of course, if you are a lover of the lowest of flea market vendors and unskilled whittlers of "Welcome to Our Home" knotty-pine boards, then you just might have one good reason to waste gas to attend this hoax of an event.

Since: Apr 08

Mobile, AL

#23 Oct 22, 2008
Imangttia wrote:
<quoted text>
They might not have "no heritage"--whatever that means but, they sure know how to serve people before they starve to death or die of old age waiting in line for just one sausage. My advice to anyone who thinks of going to the Elberta Sausage Festival is to either eat something before you go or bring a brown bag with you so that you can sustain yourself for an hour while waiting in line for a sausage that is made in Robertsdale and which you can buy there everyday of the year and grill in your own kitchen in 10 minutes. Of course, if you are a lover of the lowest of flea market vendors and unskilled whittlers of "Welcome to Our Home" knotty-pine boards, then you just might have one good reason to waste gas to attend this hoax of an event.
yeah, because OBVIOUSLY an event that sells 7000 lbs to over 30,000 people should be able to do it quicker than an event that serves 200 lbs of bratwurst to 350 people. also, you cannot buy the same exact sausage at Farm Fresh anytime. it is not the same recipe, but is similar. the fire department's recipe is only made for the fire department and the department actually owns rights to it. flea market-type setups or items are not allowed at the festival either. ask the 5 vendors that were ejected from the March event for trying to sneak that sort of thing in. way to rant about something you know absolutely nothing about! thanks for supporting your local volunteer fire department as well. i'm sorry you can't wait patiently for 30 minutes with about 20000 other people. it doesn't surprise me that your complaint about waiting is the only one i've heard in the past 5 years, since you complain about everything and everyone.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#24 Oct 22, 2008
"ask the 5 vendors that were ejected from the March event for trying to sneak that sort of thing in."

It's nice to know that you draw the line somewhere. From the vendors that I saw, I didn't know that there were any minimum standards set. It's also good to know that the recipe for the Elberta sausages are different than the ones I have bought in the store in Robertsdale since the lady who works there told me that the sausages that I bought were the same one's that they make for the Elberta Sausage Festival. And don't confuse the issue by saying that I don't support my local fire department or wish the best for yours. By pointing out the Elberta Sausage Festival's inability to get their act together and save innocent victims an hour in a sausage sandwich line, I have tried to enlighten you and the other good people who work on this Festival of a major detraction from even more people attending. I really think that if you could calculate how many people who have come to the Festival and were so disappointed that they would never come back, you would act on my suggestions rather than criticizing them. One of these days there will not be enough 1st timer's to count on coming back again if you don't step up to the plate and improve things rather than wallowing in your past attendance records.

Since: Apr 08

Mobile, AL

#25 Oct 27, 2008
thanks to everybody who came out and supported the festival. the turnout was great and the weather was even better. we sold out all 7000 lbs of sausage.

and btw, the average wait time for a sausage was 26 minutes in line....and that was during the peak hours of 10:30-2:00
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#26 Oct 27, 2008
"and btw, the average wait time for a sausage was 26 minutes in line....and that was during the peak hours of 10:30-2:00"

Thanks to me, you got your act together. I'm proud of you and the apparent improvements you made to your sausage delivery operation. I'm looking forward to coming back next spring and standing in line for one of your sausages--in fact, I may even buy 2. I have also encouraged you to get some good German beer available and hope that you work on that as well before the next festival. Now, if you can get a good German band to play for more that 1/2 hour and get some attendees to join in on dancing the Polka, the Chicken Dance and maybe an impromptu waltz and perhaps add a few more German food delights to what people can purchase, there is no limit to the number of people and the amount of money that you can bring in for your Fire Department. I wish you well, will see you the next time and am glad that you have had such success this time.

Since: Apr 08

Mobile, AL

#27 Oct 27, 2008
Imangttia wrote:
"and btw, the average wait time for a sausage was 26 minutes in line....and that was during the peak hours of 10:30-2:00"
Thanks to me, you got your act together. I'm proud of you and the apparent improvements you made to your sausage delivery operation. I'm looking forward to coming back next spring and standing in line for one of your sausages--in fact, I may even buy 2. I have also encouraged you to get some good German beer available and hope that you work on that as well before the next festival. Now, if you can get a good German band to play for more that 1/2 hour and get some attendees to join in on dancing the Polka, the Chicken Dance and maybe an impromptu waltz and perhaps add a few more German food delights to what people can purchase, there is no limit to the number of people and the amount of money that you can bring in for your Fire Department. I wish you well, will see you the next time and am glad that you have had such success this time.
we didn't do anything different than we normally do. my point was it does not take 1 hour as you say it does, and it never has. i used the same method of tracking as i have always used. our time got about 2 minutes worse from last festival, actually.

Since: Apr 08

Radisson, WI

#28 Oct 27, 2008
Imangttia wrote:
"and btw, the average wait time for a sausage was 26 minutes in line....and that was during the peak hours of 10:30-2:00"
Thanks to me, you got your act together. I'm proud of you and the apparent improvements you made to your sausage delivery operation. I'm looking forward to coming back next spring and standing in line for one of your sausages--in fact, I may even buy 2. I have also encouraged you to get some good German beer available and hope that you work on that as well before the next festival. Now, if you can get a good German band to play for more that 1/2 hour and get some attendees to join in on dancing the Polka, the Chicken Dance and maybe an impromptu waltz and perhaps add a few more German food delights to what people can purchase, there is no limit to the number of people and the amount of money that you can bring in for your Fire Department. I wish you well, will see you the next time and am glad that you have had such success this time.
we always have imported German beer every festival, as well as various domestic beers. and also, the German Polka band plays from 9:45am-3:30PM every festival. they play at the gazebo and we normally have people dancing in front of the band on the concrete pad that is in front of the gazebo. local churches serve different German dishes such as goulash, german potato salad, and lots of other things. mainly the Lutheran Church and Catholic Church.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#29 Oct 27, 2008
Well, 26 minutes is OK. I must have timed the line at a different time than you timed it. Actually, if I said 1 hour, I was exaggerating. As I recall, it was 45 minutes.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#30 Oct 27, 2008
'the German Polka band plays from 9:45am-3:30PM every festival.'

I'm glad to hear about this. Unfortunately, when I attended your festival the year before last and had a bad experience, I arrived about noon and the German band was just finishing playing. I was there for the next 3-hours and they never returned. I did partake of one of your German food vendors when I gave up on standing in line for a sausage and the food they provided was very good--in fact, it was the best memory that I have of my visit. Now, you have got me excited--I'm looking forward to your next festival.
SheDevilMent

Bay Minette, AL

#31 Mar 27, 2009
Imangttia wrote:
The Elberta sausage festival is only a few days away. If you want a sausage, you better get in line now.
OMG I hope you are over your tirade by now. So what if you have to stand in line - the food is worth it and you can make a few friends while waiting. Quit using this forum to try and promote some other festival, thats just lame. Go to the other if you want and leave Elberta's to those of us who enjoy it for what it is.
FastFred

Gulf Shores, AL

#32 Mar 27, 2009
I am ready for it,in fact can't wait.Makes for a good day !!
Feline

United States

#33 Mar 27, 2009
If you don't want to wait in line for an hour to get fed, get yourself out of bed earlier and get in line. I have been going to the Elberta Sausage Festival for many, many years. My friends and I get over there around 9:30 or 10 a.m. I have never had to wait over ten minutes to get a sandwich. If you don't like waiting in line, get up earlier or just stay home. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. This is a great festival for a great community. I don't live in Alabama but I make the drive 2 times a year just for the festival.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#34 Apr 5, 2009
"My friends and I get over there around 9:30 or 10 a.m. I have never had to wait over ten minutes to get a sandwich."

A German Sausage at 9:30 or 10a.m.? When do you eat breakfast--3a.m.?
Elsanor Chick

United States

#35 Apr 12, 2009
Um maybe it's because more people particepate in locals running a local festival...
sick and tired

Hawarden, IA

#36 Apr 16, 2009
Greetings old friends from Elberta...I am a former Elberta firefighter that has moved away from the area..but I can say that working the sausage festival was one of the highlights of my few years on the department. I am proud to see the festival is sitll going strong and I hope that all these yoyo's on here can get over their petty rant's and move on in life..BTW who is running the festival now for the FD?
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#37 Apr 16, 2009
"I hope that all these yoyo's on here can get over their petty rant's and move on in life."

Well, this 'yoyo' has apparently awakened some slow-handed volunteers to realize a sense of urgency when it comes to getting a sausage sandwich to an attendee in less than one hour. One report from a festival loyalist timed it last year and said that it only took 23 minutes in the standing line. I agreed that was acceptable and would once again show up with the hope that those sausage tenders don't slouch back into their 'customers be damned' attitude and make all of us stand in the hot Sun for one hour to get on sausage.

"...I am a former Elberta firefighter that has moved away from the area" "I hope that all these yoyo's on here can get over their petty rant's and move on in life"

It looks like you have moved on in life so I wonder if you are also one of those yoyo's.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#38 Apr 25, 2009
Imangttia wrote:
Well, let me post something that is not negative. Last week I went to the Elberta German Festival. They had real German food--German Sausage, German potato salad, gulosh, German pies and pastries and everything was excellent. It was so good that I heard people telling the workers that they should open a restaurant which some of them actually admitted they were considering. They had an antique tractor show, all kinds of games for the kids, tables you could sit at to eat, bingo, train rides, raffles and FAST SERVICE. The only thing they didn't have and which they will try to have next year is some German beer along with the weak piss-water beer that Budwiser and Miller force on these types of events.
Guess What!! Today is the St. Benedict's German Festival in Elberta, Alabama. Great food and entertainment and NO WAITING IN LINE. The Festival is on right now so, head on down for a great time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elberta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
waterfront property for sale by owner in Elbert... Jun 19 ishpfor7 1
Awful Brett Robinson experience!! (Aug '15) Jun 17 ThomasA 5
Leave no trace Jun 12 ThomasA 16
News HHS, Baldwin County to speak Tuesday about ille... Jun 10 Nopal 22
Baldwin County Sewer Systems' Stealth Candidate (Jun '10) Jun 10 Crookhater 25
P.O.S. Obama orders boys to use girls bathrooms Jun 8 rawwhrit 4
News Illegal immigrant children may be sent to Alaba... Jun 7 ThomasA 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elberta Mortgages