Wolf Bay Lodge back home at new locat...

Wolf Bay Lodge back home at new location in Foley

There are 9 comments on the Pensacola News Journal story from Dec 10, 2010, titled Wolf Bay Lodge back home at new location in Foley. In it, Pensacola News Journal reports that:

7, 2008, Wolf Bay Lodge succumbed to a fire that razed the legendary eatery in Elberta, Ala., to little more than smoking ashes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pensacola News Journal.

Give me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#1 Dec 10, 2010
I ate lunch there today. The iced tea was like water. The lemon was dried-up. It took 1/2 hour or more from time of ordering to get my meal. The bread/sub-roll was tasteless and so dense that I could hardly cut it--I just put it aside and ate the contents. The air conditioner was turned down so low that everyone was freezing. Their prices are extremely high for everything except a hot dog or a hamburger. The waitstaff is very good but don't try to look at all of the things in the gift shop unless you are prepared to have a sales person constantly annoy you. All in all, check it out. You just might decide that there are better values in Foley--at least from what I experienced today.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#2 Dec 11, 2010
The Wife and I was going to try,but may be I won't waste my money.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#3 Dec 11, 2010
When they were down in Wolf Bay before they had an accidental fire? or some other calamity?(twice!), I ate there once for supper and once in the dining room for lunch. It took forever for them to serve me supper and the lunch was nothing special. I liked the atmosphere of the location because I could watch boaters coming and going at the boat ramp and the bar section was fine. I'd get a beer and a hamburger and an order of onion rings and it was worth the price but, I deduced than--and it has been reinforced for me now at their new location in Foley, that a beer and a hamburger and a side of onion rings is about the only reason to go there. I am really disappointed because I have gone to their Orange Beach restaurant twice and put up with their high prices and limited menu and excused them because I figured that the landlord was ripping them off for the rent and that is why they had to charge such high prices. Now that they are in the low-rent district, there is no excuse for what they are charging and I or anyone else doesn't have to go there when there are so many other good restaurants that are priced much more reasonably and actually offer a much more extended menu. This is just another example of a Ma and Pa operation that is still depending on the old faithful good old boys who they sucker'd for decades to keep on coming when they were the only show in town to keep them in business. If the good old boys ever get smart and stop coming and the Snow Birds only go there once after being burned, who knows--maybe lightning will strike again and they will have to build a new restaurant somewhere else with their next insurance claim.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#4 Dec 11, 2010
FastFred wrote:
The Wife and I was going to try,but may be I won't waste my money.
I can't believe it--you actually found someone who would marry you? She must be a Saint.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#5 Dec 12, 2010
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe it--you actually found someone who would marry you? She must be a Saint.
CUTE !
rudy

Foley, AL

#6 Dec 12, 2010
they have forsaken their roots like the turf people in town--nothing good will happen,, go back to a shack place on the bay and success will return
Pat

Foley, AL

#7 Jan 26, 2011
Last week I went there to try it out. Well, to make a long story short.....I WILL NOT GO BACK!
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#8 Jan 26, 2011
Pat wrote:
Last week I went there to try it out. Well, to make a long story short.....I WILL NOT GO BACK!
Their prices are absurd. A blind man could find a better deal at tons of places in Foley, Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. Once the glitter wears off with the old customers who expected the New Wolf Bay Lodge to be like the Old Wolf Bay Lodge and the returning Snowbirds get stiffed and never return and the Spring Breakers want to go to exciting places like Bubba's and Hooter's, the Wolf Bay Lodge will get a dose of reality. I hope they are saving up their enormous profits that they are making on a dinner of fried Catfish because they will need that to hold them over until word-of-mouth gets around that they have come to their senses.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#9 Jan 26, 2011
Another thing. Talk about a poor business plan-- this is it. How many of you have ever gone to a restuarant that had a sald bar and you could not go back for another saled? Yes, there are a few cheap places like that--but not many. Well, that is the rule at Wolf Bay Lodge. Even though they charge and arm-and-a-leg for any item on their menu, they feel compelled to tell their customers that they can only visit the salad bar ONCE! Let's face it--how many times and how many people actually go back to the salad bar a 2nd time? Hardly anyone. So why does the Wolf Bay Lodge want to advertise how cheap they are when another bowl of lettuce and a drab of dressing by a very few customers raises the eyebrows of 99% of diners who have no intention of visiting the salad bar after the 1st time? This is a good example of why most chain restaurants stay in business and why the majority of Ma and Pa businesses go out of business--they just think that because they are local and a member of The Chamber of Commerce that they can get away with anything and the local suckers will keep on coming. Well, this is not the old Baldwin County or the old City of Foley. We have more "come here's" than "been here's" and they know what value is and will support it wherever it is and ignor it where it isn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elberta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Royal Palms Rental ? Sat Connie Lingus 2
Waynes Barber Shop Fri Justin Heranus 9
News What you're saying: Jimmy Buffett concert postp... (Jun '10) Fri Harry Peters 3
No Blacks in Gulf Shores Aug 25 Connie Lingus 22
News Baldwin schools file suit against street preachers (Nov '08) Aug 21 Michael AL 22
waterfront property for sale by owner in Elbert... Jun '16 ishpfor7 1
Review: Hallson Manor Apartments (Dec '12) May '16 Cspain34 16

Elberta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elberta Mortgages