Cyclist killed by big rig in Carson

Full story: Daily Breeze

Jakob Scott Weathermon, 20, was a Lakewood resident. A bicyclist killed when a big rig struck and killed him on the Carson border was identified today as a Lakewood man.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 74 of74
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Joepphoto

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

Scott -Jakobs Dad wrote:
Before expressing a comment,you need all the facts(D.S.)They needed to be on the sidewalk at this corner to wait for crosswalk to go green,otherwise they would be standing in the intersection!The F'ng Truck Driver did not come to a stop on a red light thus mowing my son down.All I see is Vehicular Manslaughter.Oh Yah sad does not even come close to what the family is feeling!<quoted text>
My deepest sympathy to you and yours, sir. As a 50 year old cyclist, I try to obey sidewalk and crosswalk laws, but there are places where it would be suicide to obey these laws.
I can't imagine the anger and grief you must be feeling.
Rest in peace Jakob.
JAKOBS UNCLE

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

So far, witnesses we spoke to indicated that Jakob and his friend were in a crosswalk on their green light when they were struck. The investigation will hopefully have testimony from the witnesses we talked to.

All the cycling zealots can debate whether or not he should have been in that crosswalk riding his bike or not, but the fact is it does not matter what they were doing at that time (they could have been doing cartwheels) a driver is responsible for their safety if they were in the crosswalk on their green.

Please everyone stop hating on each other, cyclists or truck drivers, white or not. We just want to know what happened, and if there is anything good that can come from our Jakob's tragic death.

Thank you to those who have expressed condolences to our family.
paz

Playa Del Rey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

If you werent around jakob for the majority of his life, even if he needed you then why are you acting like you actually care about him now that he is dead.
Hank the Crank

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

I am an avid cyclist myself and ride both mountain and road bikes. I will not ride my road bike on city streets. I will travel out of my way to hit the Santa Ana River trail, if that's what I fell like doing. Otherwise, I ll stick to the dirt, where the only real danger is myself and maybe a mtn lion, but that's about as lucky as getting attacked by a shark. I feel for this family and can empathize with their grief. Just say no to the road unless it is closed to major traffic. Better yet, keep it in the dirt it'll make you stronger, safer(maybe) and alot more fun! Remember that box of chocolates?
Jakobs Mother

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

Opus the Poet wrote:
I was thinking from the pictures and other witness's statements that the truck driver might have been at fault, but thanks for the confirmation of that fact. The witness statement that the cyclist was under the LEFT REAR wheels of the tractor making a RIGHT TURN told me that the cyclist was most likely crossing in front of the truck when it pulled forwards over him, which meant that the cyclist had the right of way and was crossing with the light. This means that the truck ran a red light and killed the cyclist.
Yes, you are correct.... Thanks so much for your supportive email. I'm crushed that my son has been killed.
Brittany-Great friend

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

KarSon Calif Resident wrote:
<quoted text> MANDATORY DEATH SENTENCE FOR BICYCLISTS THAT RUN INTO A TRUCK..."OOPS", THATS THE WAY IT GOES ALREADY...BICYCLISTS, IF YOUR NOT QUICK ENOUGH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY TO DEAL WITH CRAZY CITY TRAFFIC, YOU SHOULDNT TRY..REST IN PEACE DEAD BICYCLISTS..
do you know what f**k you... if it was your family member you would be in the same situation as all of us. so you need to go to hell
Brittany-Great friend

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Jakobs Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are correct.... Thanks so much for your supportive email. I'm crushed that my son has been killed.
Hey you dnt know me but i was a good friend of jakobs. and im really sorry for your loss. i broke dwn wen i was told.. and i will have you and ur family in my prayers...

i love you
careful

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

this just comes to show you california people do not know how to drive
Ellen- A mom

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Please leave this family at peace they just want to find out what happened to there son.
dani

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2009

USC STEVE wrote:
you need to go away !!
thats a busch league comment.
if you dont know what i mean maybe you should go past 4th grade in your education.
<quoted text>
i dont think now is the time to judge grammar mr usc. come on this kid just died. i was his friend and i know i dont appreciate it.
Sad But true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

I come form a drivers family. I have four children of my own. I wish the family all our prayers and hope for a quick answer to there questions about the accident. My husband is a driver for 15 years and I have been around the trucking business for 8 years. There are a lot of steering wheel holders out there. The excuse of can haulers needing to make money is just that.Being the bigger one on the road and professionals out there doing this for a living is hard , but your responcibility!!! Take pride in what you do and pay attention to what your job is and DO IT SAFELY!!!! No more escuses.
Anonymous

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Sad wrote:
Please, people, do not ride on sidewalks.
If they had been occupying a lane, the driver would have seen them.
Drivers are not used to checking for people moving at bike-speeds through crosswalks.
Nor should they be. Bikes flying off the sidewalk into crosswalks do not have the right-of-way. They are no different than a car pulling out of a driveway.

Bicyclists who are too stupid to know this are best left out of the gene pool. If that's what happened in this case, they got what they asked for and I hope they left this earth before they procreated.
Anonymous

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

JAKOBS UNCLE wrote:
So far, witnesses we spoke to indicated that Jakob and his friend were in a crosswalk on their green light when they were struck. The investigation will hopefully have testimony from the witnesses we talked to.
All the cycling zealots can debate whether or not he should have been in that crosswalk riding his bike or not, but the fact is it does not matter what they were doing at that time (they could have been doing cartwheels) a driver is responsible for their safety if they were in the crosswalk on their green.
You were obviously raised to be a victim and always blame others for the poor choices you or your loved ones make. It DOES matter what he was doing. If he was on the bike, he was NOT a pedestrian and should have been following the rules of the road.

I sure as hell hope the DMV didn't issue a license to someone as stupid as you, who doesn't know this simple fact. You do not belong on the road and are NO ONE to be preaching about a driver's responsibility. If you're a relative by blood, it also shows that he probably didn't have the genetics necessary to be a good driver (or bicyclist).

This is not the opinion of "cycling zealots"; It's the law. You should learn it, if you're going to be operating ANYTHING governed by these rules, motorized or not. As I stated above, I hope he left this earth before bringing another member of your family unto this earth. Because following the rules of the road OBVIOUSLY isn't your family's forte.
So Cal Resident

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Coastrider wrote:
Motorists are the one to blame 100% of the time something like this happens. Listen here, Cyclists ALWAYS have the right of way...LOOK UP THE LAWS YOU IDOITS!
This is hilarious. You are the biggest idiot here. That is not the law.

If he flew off the sidewalk into the street (crosswalk or not), he was to blame. I hope the poor driver wasn't charged for this cyclist's stupidity and ignorance.

It's nice to see that many cyclists on this thread know the law and do their best to obey it. Be safe out there!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 74 of74
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Segundo Discussions

Search the El Segundo Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 34 min Whittier Lover 1,223
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr The Dog 15,656
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 15 hr Beyond 199,073
Court rejects UCLA land theft from Veterans 18 hr WJABBE 19
Gardena police officer gives emotional testimon... (Aug '10) 21 hr Eric hyde 19
What is the back story re Scottsdale Townhomes (Apr '10) Wed SCOTTSDALE OWNER 7
Review: Multi Media Spectrum (Oct '12) Wed Solar leads CA 9
•••
•••

El Segundo News Video

•••
•••

El Segundo Jobs

•••
•••