Cyclist killed by big rig in Carson

Full story: Daily Breeze 77
Jakob Scott Weathermon, 20, was a Lakewood resident. A bicyclist killed when a big rig struck and killed him on the Carson border was identified today as a Lakewood man. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sad

Buena Park, CA

#2 Oct 1, 2008
Please, people, do not ride on sidewalks.

If they had been occupying a lane, the driver would have seen them.

Drivers are not used to checking for people moving at bike-speeds through crosswalks.
JAKOBS UNCLE

Irvine, CA

#3 Oct 1, 2008
"Sad"- are you the driver and making excuses for your actions? Who said anything about sidewalks in this tragedy?
Drunkard

Torrance, CA

#4 Oct 1, 2008
"The pair were heading east on the sidewalk and entered the intersection to cross Susana when a tractor-trailer going south stopped at the intersection to make a right turn, California Highway Patrol Officer Edward McElroy said. "
RB Surfer

La Mirada, CA

#5 Oct 1, 2008
Uhh, the article said it, that's who:

"The pair were heading east on the sidewalk..."
A Mom

Yorba Linda, CA

#7 Oct 1, 2008
This is very sad. And strange, there must have been some miscommunication (or none) between the truck driver & the bicyclists.

Attention Bicyclists: We do do the dumbest things.

1) By California law we are not to ride bicycles on the sidewalk.(I know sometimes I feel safer to do so).

2) Do not ride against the traffic. I am amazed I haven't hit a bicyclist yet. As a driver I am not looking for (or out for) traffic coming from my right in the near lane.

3) When out on the road bicycling we are a moving vehicle. We just do not have the protection of a car around us nor the the speed to get out of harms way. We must obey ALL of the traffic laws.

4) WEAR YOUR HELMET. It may not look so cool, but it could save your life. And wear it properly (not unstrapped).

5) We must ride our bicycles (just like motorcyclists) with the attitude that the automobiles and trucks do not see us.
Cassandra

Anaheim, CA

#8 Oct 1, 2008
My love and prays go to the family of Jakob and his friends. This has changed my life forever. As I was there I only sent my positive and loving thoughts his way, I wish I could have done something to save him. I am so sorry for your lost. Everyday that I pass by now I will think of Jakob.
no way

Glendale, CA

#9 Oct 1, 2008
Hardly anyone in a cage pays attention to anyone on two wheels even if they are motorcycles on the street.
Man slaughter.
Spokepoke

Long Beach, CA

#10 Oct 1, 2008
Don't know who's at fault here. I cycle this route every day back and forth to work. I've seen a lot of motorists do stupid things and I've seen a lot of cyclists do stupid things. When you ride a bicycle you MUST be smarter and more cautious than the competition (vehicles).
torrance resident

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#11 Oct 1, 2008
As a bicyclist for many decades in the South Bay, many roads are just impossible to share with cars and you have to go on the sidewalk - too narrow, too much debris, glass, or a host of other reasons can drive bikes out of the streets. Let's face it, the roads aren't exactly designed or maintained to encourage biking around here.

My sympathies to everyone involved.
Jazzwoman53

Broomfield, CO

#12 Oct 1, 2008
Just curious...what is the citizenship status of the trucker...just curious.
Irvine Mom

Santa Ana, CA

#13 Oct 1, 2008
My heart goes out to the Weatherman family. You will be in my prayers for peace, comfort and strength. I am so sad to hear of this tragedy. God bless and comfort you and be there for you.
I hope also given that this intersection is notoriously dangerous something will now be done to make it safer and I hope they name the solution after Jakob.
USC STEVE

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Oct 1, 2008
you need to go away !!
thats a busch league comment.

if you dont know what i mean maybe you should go past 4th grade in your education.
Jazzwoman53 wrote:
So Sad

San Bernardino, CA

#15 Oct 1, 2008
Good Call. I got hit by a trucker down in Carson and he didn't even speak English. I had to call the CHP to resolve the issue. They ended up towing his truck away. I'm pretty positive he was illegal. I just feel bad for the family and my prayers are with them.
Jazzwoman53 wrote:
So Sad

San Bernardino, CA

#16 Oct 1, 2008
Maybe you should get a life. She was making a good point. Have you driven down in Carson lately? Let me guess, no.
USC STEVE wrote:
you need to go away !!
if you dont know what i mean maybe you should go past 4th grade in your education.
<quoted text>
Laughable

La Crescenta, CA

#18 Oct 1, 2008
USC STEVE wrote:
you need to go away !!
<quoted text>
One would think that someone from USC would have come up with something better than that! Since immigration is such a hot button issue, it seems like a reasonable question. DAMF!
Family Friend

AOL

#19 Oct 2, 2008
Jakob was a Beautiful soul and this is a HUGE loss
EVERYONE needs to pay more attention while driving!!! Jakobs Family needs your prayers they have lost 2 men in the last 3 mo.
NotMissingThePoi nt

Manhattan Beach, CA

#21 Oct 2, 2008
The trucks who drag all those cargo containers around are PAID BY THE TRIP.

So if you want to make money, how do you drive?
Scott -Jakobs Dad

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Oct 2, 2008
Before expressing a comment,you need all the facts(D.S.)They needed to be on the sidewalk at this corner to wait for crosswalk to go green,otherwise they would be standing in the intersection!The F'ng Truck Driver did not come to a stop on a red light thus mowing my son down.All I see is Vehicular Manslaughter.Oh Yah sad does not even come close to what the family is feeling!
Sad wrote:
Please, people, do not ride on sidewalks.
If they had been occupying a lane, the driver would have seen them.
Drivers are not used to checking for people moving at bike-speeds through crosswalks.
Opus the Poet

United States

#23 Oct 2, 2008
NotMissing @21

They are not paid by the trip but by the mile, which is almost as bad, because their fixed expenses are charged by the month. In order to make a profit (and pay their other bills) they have to drive as many miles per month as they can, which leads to driving too fast, driving while sleep deprived, use of stimulants to stay awake and other abuses of their bodies and the system.

Add to that vehicles with enormous blind spots, long stopping distances, and high centers of gravity (rollover risk) and what you have is a recipe for disaster. It is only because of the basic humanity, and strong desire to live, of the drivers that we don't have even more CARnage on the roads. This is another area where the unregulated "free" market has failed us. The trucking industry needs to be regulated so that drivers can spend a reasonable amount of time on the roads, and still make enough money to pay bills and maintain their vehicles. It will cost more to transport goods, but then the way the system is set up now the human cost has been removed, along with most of the humanity of the drivers.
no way

Glendale, CA

#24 Oct 2, 2008
Yes! manslaughter, so so sorry this happened to your son...praying for your family to have peace and comfort, and that justice will be served.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Segundo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 2,268
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr Mel 15,998
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr sanford 5,073
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr sanford 200,965
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 22 hr Blazing saddles 7,954
Iggy Azalea's former manager claims legal right... Tue Shirvell s Shrivel 1
Earthquake: 2.6 quake strikes near Palos Verdes... Tue Erin 1
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at September 18 at 4:46AM PDT

•••

El Segundo News Video

•••
•••

El Segundo Jobs

•••
•••
•••

El Segundo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

El Segundo News, Events & Info