New Hawthorne charter schools stress ...

New Hawthorne charter schools stress project-based learning

There are 25 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Aug 20, 2009, titled New Hawthorne charter schools stress project-based learning. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Sandy Sanchez plays with a model usesd to demonstrate growth of a molecule or atom in engineering teacher Kate Garrido's advisory class on the first day of school at Da Vinci Science and Da Vinci Design, two public charter schools in Hawthorne.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Winnetka, CA

#1 Aug 20, 2009
Funny I thought that school site was so bad that they had to build the new Dana Middle School, apparently it is fine for higher education and the citizens of hawthorne and the Wiesburn school district were lied to and we voted ourselves a needless tax increase.

I will laugh at any politician or citizen who asks me for another tax increase in my life.
Qvo Loca

Donie, TX

#2 Aug 20, 2009
Congrats to Dr Johnstone and all involved .I was told that the Da Vinci Charters have quite a few talented teachers that came from
the CV district,what does that say about how CV treats their STAFF
I can totally see where their heart is when it comes to TEACHING our YOUTH
I will lift you up in Prayer this Sunday for a wealth of success
LovelyLady

Tarzana, CA

#3 Aug 21, 2009
After reading this I cant wait to hear the success stories to come in 4 yrs !! I attended Dana Middle school in 99' and i would have loved to attend a high school in the wiseburn district..There is a large minority group in this area and for Davinci to offer all the programs it does is a great advantage to the average families that cant afford a top education. CheeRs to Success!
vegaslandfill

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Aug 21, 2009
I attended Commonwealth grade School in downtown LA in the early 60's, moved to Hawthorne went to Hawthorne Intermediate in 66, then on to Hawthorne High and graduated in 71. My family was average and couldn't afford top education for me, but those three Schools taught me well. I just don't understand why kids can't learn or be taught anything today. So you have these special charter Schools for a select few, what happen?
South Bay Native

Torrance, CA

#5 Aug 21, 2009
Hawthorne HS is not what it was when you went there. It is a very SCARY place now
vegaslandfill wrote:
I attended Commonwealth grade School in downtown LA in the early 60's, moved to Hawthorne went to Hawthorne Intermediate in 66, then on to Hawthorne High and graduated in 71. My family was average and couldn't afford top education for me, but those three Schools taught me well. I just don't understand why kids can't learn or be taught anything today. So you have these special charter Schools for a select few, what happen?
CV Supporter

United States

#6 Aug 21, 2009
Hawthorne HS is not a very SCARY place! That is a ridiculous statement to make...it's an incredible school filled with highly qualified, caring teachers and top notch administrators. Unfortunately, our local media doesn't focus, often enough, on the successes of HHS.
Local Kid

United States

#7 Aug 21, 2009
I graduated from HHS in 2008. It is not a bad place at all. The only problem is kids are not trying. I still see it now, the kids at Hawthorne are not putting in the effort. I graduated from Dana Middle in 2004. After graduation, when everyone parted ways, those who attended Mira Costa and El Segundo and Redondo Union etc. where supposed to be better off than I. Wrong. Kids(somez0 that went to those schools ruined their lives just like the kids that went to HHS (some) did. My point is, it is not the school it is the worthless KID who does not TRY.

Having said that, I think that the Da Vinci charters have one cool attribute. I like the fact that the school starts and ends earlier than other high schools, in order to allow its students to attend a JC in the summer. I did that while I went to HHS though, its not that hard.
Citizen

Montgomery, AL

#8 Aug 21, 2009
CV Supporter wrote:
Hawthorne HS is not a very SCARY place! That is a ridiculous statement to make...it's an incredible school filled with highly qualified, caring teachers and top notch administrators. Unfortunately, our local media doesn't focus, often enough, on the successes of HHS.
Are you kidding me??? Hawthorne High is a war zone. Kids have about the same chance of getting knifed as they do graduating.

Gangs run rampant, dropout rates are dismal. And CV board members keep whining for more money to dump into this prison system.
Jimbo

Highland, CA

#9 Aug 21, 2009
Of course the school board lied -- they do it all the time. Stuff their hands in our pockets, lie and steal. Continuously. Yes, they said that Dana School was in such poor condition that we had to all pony up money for bonds to build new schools. Dana gets built, they do another bond to steal money to get the new Cabrillo School built. And voila! All of a sudden Dana is safe enough to house the new Da Vinci School! Wonder what they are cooking up to take even more money from people who have lost jobs and whose homes are in danger of foreclosure. Schoo board cares not at all, they just want money, money, money -- to pay for all the out-of-area kids that the weasel Don Brann brought in when he was the superintendent. Good riddance he's gone.
Local Kid

United States

#10 Aug 21, 2009
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me??? Hawthorne High is a war zone. Kids have about the same chance of getting knifed as they do graduating.
Gangs run rampant, dropout rates are dismal. And CV board members keep whining for more money to dump into this prison system.
Hawthorne High is not a war zone. The only reason kids do not graduate is because they spend too much time trying to look "cool".
Chill

Highland, CA

#11 Aug 21, 2009
Jimbo wrote:
Of course the school board lied -- they do it all the time. Stuff their hands in our pockets, lie and steal. Continuously. Yes, they said that Dana School was in such poor condition that we had to all pony up money for bonds to build new schools. Dana gets built, they do another bond to steal money to get the new Cabrillo School built. And voila! All of a sudden Dana is safe enough to house the new Da Vinci School! Wonder what they are cooking up to take even more money from people who have lost jobs and whose homes are in danger of foreclosure. Schoo board cares not at all, they just want money, money, money -- to pay for all the out-of-area kids that the weasel Don Brann brought in when he was the superintendent. Good riddance he's gone.
Calm down. Go turn on Fox News. Relax.
Ashley Ram

Wildomar, CA

#12 Aug 21, 2009
Today Was The End Of My First Week At Da Vinci High School.[Science]. It Was Just My First Week And It Was Great. I Loved It So Much. The Teachers And Students Are Amazing. Dr.Wunder And Ms.Temple Had A Vision To Make This The Absolute Best Charter School Ever And I Must Say They Succeed. I'm Sure All The Other Da Vinci Students Would Say The Same. I've Only Been At Da Vinci School For One Week And I Know I've Made A Great Choice.
Local Kid

United States

#15 Aug 21, 2009
Wow!Lakers all the way and kidding me are not worth the time of day. Ignorance.

To: Ashley Ram.

That is cool. Congratulations. I hope everything goes well.
vegaslandfill

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Aug 21, 2009
That's funny! Wow! I took french during my senior 70/71 year at Hawthorne. Who would ever thought...
Local Kid

United States

#17 Aug 21, 2009
I just realized this is becoming TOO much about HHS. What is everyones opinion about the Da Vinci schools?
vegaslandfill

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Aug 22, 2009
Don't know anything about the Da Vinci Schools, but I did see the movie.
Jimbo

Highland, CA

#19 Aug 22, 2009
Chill - you must be on the Wiseburn-A-Hole-In-Your-Pocket School Board!
Hawthorne Homeowner

Anaheim, CA

#20 Aug 22, 2009
I am very happy for the Wiseburn School District. They have been fighting to get their high school system up and running since I was there in 1992. I wish they had this option when I graduated as I would have loved to have been a part of this history.

As for all the trash talking, I cannot explain or understand. We all stand around complaining about how the school systems are terrible, and how they need more opportunities for our kids and then when there is advancement in educational opportunities you complain. I will never understand the general need of people to bash and trash talk about such a wonderful thing. I wish I lived in the Wiseburn area so my children could take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

Thank You Wisburn School District for your never ending efforts to better the educations of the students in your area.

Daniel Mills
Wiseburn K-8
Amber

Long Beach, CA

#21 Sep 14, 2009
That was a cool article on my high school
Amber

Long Beach, CA

#22 Sep 14, 2009
Thanks for being a great friend Ashley!
-ily
Amber

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Segundo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) 13 hr Raj 266
WARNING about Inception Media Group (Jun '17) 19 hr Hburg Resident 2
busted in the 90s Sat snitches get stit... 1
News 4 charged in Torrance parks kickback scheme (Oct '08) Feb 22 Incredulous 217
Review: Inglewood Lanes (Jan '17) Feb 21 INGLEWOOD LANES B... 100
you hid your drugs under a rock Feb 21 not sure 1
Review: Taco Bell (Mar '17) Feb 16 TACO BELL INGLEWO... 8

El Segundo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Segundo Mortgages