Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty...

Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty in theft case

There are 125 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 18, 2009, titled Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty in theft case. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Four former Torrance parks and recreation employees have pleaded guilty to grand theft for their roles in a scheme that cost the city more than $58,000, prosecutors said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

Torrance follower

Los Angeles, CA

#111 Sep 30, 2009
I understand Dan is currently teaching private lessons for the Bruins club team, as well as coaching masters for the UCLA masters swim team.
How is this possible? Last time I looked under the code of conduct for USA Swimming being a convicted felon pretty much meant your coaching career under USA Swimming was OVER!!!
Time to fax over the newspaper article to not only USA Swimming but UCLA athletic dept as well.
Bye bye Dan!
Still Amazed

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#112 Sep 30, 2009
knows wrote:
<quoted text>
Just accept that Jeff is as mixed up in this as all the rest that doesn't mean you still can't love him. He needs your love about now
What I accept is that some people such as you have an inability to understand that you may not know all of details and that there are varying degrees of culpability that do not warrant the type of judgement that has been put forward. People's lives are not black and white. They include various shades of grey. "May he who has not sinned cast the first stone." A dose of self reflection would not hurt. It may help put a perspective on this matter that is more appropriate.
knows

San Dimas, CA

#113 Sep 30, 2009
Still Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
What I accept is that some people such as you have an inability to understand that you may not know all of details and that there are varying degrees of culpability that do not warrant the type of judgement that has been put forward. People's lives are not black and white. They include various shades of grey. "May he who has not sinned cast the first stone." A dose of self reflection would not hurt. It may help put a perspective on this matter that is more appropriate.
Jeff is that you!?!?
Moses

Los Angeles, CA

#114 Sep 30, 2009
Still Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
"May he who has not sinned cast the first stone." A dose of self reflection would not hurt. It may help put a perspective on this matter that is more appropriate.
I may be a sinner, but I sure as shinola never stole $$ from my employer! Or the Citizens of Torrance, after all it's their money we're talking about!!
swimmer

Long Beach, CA

#115 Sep 30, 2009
Angry at Torrance wrote:
"If you had a personal relationship with them maybe you would understand - I am defending him as I would defend a family member or good friend. But I'm not sure you comprehend just how much work Jeff Klotz put into the swim team and just how much he cared about his swimmers. It's just not something I can explain with words really. Just don't judge someone by their worst actions without knowing their best."
I've had a personal relationship with Jeff and he is the most MANIPULATIVE person I have ever met in my life. He is selfish and lies about EVERYTHING. He lost his job as a teacher and lost more coaching jobs. He might be coaching now for another team but the truth with come out. Each time I had talked to him about this situation his story has changed...He must be a really trustworthy guy. He should serve jail time along with the others.
'

The team he coaches for knew his situation before they hired him
swimer2

Lakewood, CA

#116 Sep 30, 2009
Yes he does ...http://www.recreation.ucla. edu/insidepage.aspx?uid=31fa3a 52-8582-4670-9e3b-13a87060a851
Whose accountable

Lakewood, CA

#117 Sep 30, 2009
We used to get a yearly safety incentive “bonus” if injuries were down. You had to work a min number of hours to get it. Ignacio’s name would be on the list and we underlings were like WTF! He’s long gone to college on the east coast. How does he have the hours. Didn't anybody in charge look at the list???
Seriously

Maywood, CA

#118 Sep 30, 2009
Swimer2,Torrance follower, etc: Thank goodness you are here to save the world!! What would we do without you to give us your opinions and details of someone's life and "where to email"?
Just get over it.....live and let live! Please find something better to do with your time and YOUR life.
Whose accountable

Lakewood, CA

#119 Sep 30, 2009
what business is it of yours?
Seriously wrote:
Swimer2,Torrance follower, etc: Thank goodness you are here to save the world!! What would we do without you to give us your opinions and details of someone's life and "where to email"?
Just get over it.....live and let live! Please find something better to do with your time and YOUR life.
Seriously

Maywood, CA

#120 Sep 30, 2009
Whose accountable wrote:
what business is it of yours?
<quoted text>
My point exactly......
Still Amazed

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#121 Oct 1, 2009
Moses wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be a sinner, but I sure as shinola never stole $$ from my employer! Or the Citizens of Torrance, after all it's their money we're talking about!!
"Shinola"... nice word. The point is that while some of the posters on this board want to lump all four men together, their involvement was not remotely the same. Dishonesty has many faces. Take for instance the family that feigns poverty so that their children can swim for free. Is that not stealing? Does it not transfer the burden to other families? Is it honest? Or take the individual who irresponsibly writes letters filled with slander about another individual in an effort to settle a personal score... is that honest? How do we judge the act of willfully ruining another's life in a way that does not reflect the crime... and then relishing the result. Stealing from the City of Torrance or anyone for that matter is wrong, no doubt. The lack of humanity, perspective, and personal responsibility displayed by some on this message board is also wrong.
Mister Rats

Los Angeles, CA

#122 Oct 1, 2009
Do you really think master swimmers give a rats a** about who gives them their workout? My advice to the few "anonomous" Torrance/RPV posters -stick your head in the water for 90 minutes a day instead. It is a helluva lot healthier for you and may get rid of your anger!
I agree - - -

Los Angeles, CA

#123 Oct 1, 2009
Mister Rats wrote:
Do you really think master swimmers give a rats **** about who gives them their workout? My advice to the few "anonomous" Torrance/RPV posters -stick your head in the water for 90 minutes a day instead. It is a helluva lot healthier for you and may get rid of your anger!
.. with Mister Nuts. Just the same though ... I better keep a close eye on my wallet! lol
Thats right

Lakewood, CA

#124 Oct 1, 2009
Whose accountable wrote:
We used to get a yearly safety incentive “bonus” if injuries were down. You had to work a min number of hours to get it. Ignacio’s name would be on the list and we underlings were like ****! He’s long gone to college on the east coast. How does he have the hours. Didn't anybody in charge look at the list???
I think you had to work like 1,000+ hours to get the bonus. Maybe John and Gene thought Ignacio was flying back from med school on the weekends just to work at the pool – lol.
sweetdeal

Los Angeles, CA

#125 Oct 2, 2009
Do you guys really believe that these people are a threat to society??
If so, then I can promise you all one thing- Jeff and the rest should be THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES.
They plead guilty of a kickback scheme and will pay the consequences
They will no longer affect any of your lives for all of you who think that they are so horrible and have no hearts.
Only the lowly

Lakewood, CA

#126 Oct 3, 2009
Thats right wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you had to work like 1,000+ hours to get the bonus. Maybe John and Gene thought Ignacio was flying back from med school on the weekends just to work at the pool – lol.
Why did only the four employees get in trouble then? Don't the boss's have any responsibility to make sure the payroll reports thay sign off on are not fraudulent? I guess the City did not want to open up that can of worms.
MARIONETTE

Los Angeles, CA

#127 Oct 3, 2009
Can of worms is right.
Only the lowly wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did only the four employees get in trouble then? Don't the boss's have any responsibility to make sure the payroll reports thay sign off on are not fraudulent? I guess the City did not want to open up that can of worms.
I see - - -

Los Angeles, CA

#128 Oct 7, 2009
Still Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
"Shinola"... nice word. The point is that while some of the posters on this board want to lump all four men together, their involvement was not remotely the same. Dishonesty has many faces. Take for instance the family that feigns poverty so that their children can swim for free. Is that not stealing? Does it not transfer the burden to other families? Is it honest? Or take the individual who irresponsibly writes letters filled with slander about another individual in an effort to settle a personal score... is that honest? How do we judge the act of willfully ruining another's life in a way that does not reflect the crime... and then relishing the result. Stealing from the City of Torrance or anyone for that matter is wrong, no doubt. The lack of humanity, perspective, and personal responsibility displayed by some on this message board is also wrong.
So I guess two wrongs make it right.
Interested bystander

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#129 Oct 15, 2009
Dan Halladay is no longer coaching at UCLA.
It is a shame

Los Angeles, CA

#130 Oct 15, 2009
It is really too bad, he is a great coach and will be sorely missed. It's a shame because his record has nothing to do with coaching and I hear he is paying his debt back to society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Segundo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News All Los Angeles County Jails on Lockdown (Feb '06) Thu Hector Valente 1,713
Torrance Music Thread (Apr '14) Thu Musikologist 3
News Tesla's home battery doesn't make economic sens... May 25 The New Kid 2
News Carson man convicted in ex-girlfriend's murder (Jul '09) May 24 bookerbjams 4
Review: California Deluxe Windows (Apr '09) May 24 ngc 50
Helicopter over Rosecrans and Ramona May 19 Goeatsomepancakes 1
News Free Friday Night Movies on the Boardwalk at Re... May 18 metoo 1
More from around the web

El Segundo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]